View full 2014-15 profile

5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

RooneyLegend

He should really commit to his new role and try to learn more and improve over the summer. There's a world class Right back in there somewhere but he's too new to the role to already show that on a consistent basis. His defensive awareness is still iffy and honestly his crossing just needs to come back to where it was before.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
It's nice to have mind readers around the place.
No, its common sense. He made no unforced changes to his starting XI for about 6 games despite keys players returning from injury.
I've heard LVG say he was our best player (as in MOTM) on a couple of occasions so I doubt it was just about him keeping fit.
He said it after the game when Valencia literally gave the ball to Welbeck to make it 2-1, he was protecting his player.
Who said that he should be in our starting eleven? He had a good season in a position alien to him, that's worthy of praises, there is no subliminal message.
Why is the bar being lowered again for Valencia? And this isn't an alien position, he's played there for years (he played there under Fergie) and its now considered his actual position.
What needs to stop is the thought that the only way to compete is having world XI players through the team when that is not the case and not something that can be maintained unless bank rolled - by a bank. Madrid tried their galacticos that has failed. City, PSG have been met with the same fate.

So Pedro scored a spectacular free kick, that makes him brilliant? No what has made him so good is that he has done the job along side some great players. It's why Barca keep buying other forwards even though they have him - because while he is not the best he is a very good player much like Valencia that helps make a team.

What is small time is people like you that tend to not give players like Valencia their due. No one is saying he is what we should build our team around but, he is not the type of player we want to be without either. Players like him is what has made United great over the years along side some exceptional players.
Really? Because concurrently Madrid and Barca are without their 'do a job' players in their current starting XI and still no one has been able to name one in their current sides.

Pedro isn't in the side because he's behind Suarez, Messi and Neymar they keep buying forwards because they want to improve, he's still a fantastic player but they have strength in depth. Pedro isn't a converted right back who can do a job further forward, that's the difference.

You really seem to be misinterpreting support players as average players. The fact you compared Valencia to Busquets says it all really.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
He said it after the game when Valencia literally gave the ball to Welbeck to make it 2-1, he was protecting his player.
Even at the awards function? There is defending and then there is going overboard with it.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
I don't think we can take anything away from that night...
:lol: Why would he mention it drunk if he didn't think it?

He also replaced Herrera, who was actually our best player, with Blind and lost control of that game. Let's just agree that his judgement, drunk or otherwise, isn't very sound when it comes to that game.

ivaldo

:lol: Why would he mention it drunk if he didn't think it?

He also replaced Herrera, who was actually our best player, with Blind and lost control of that game. Let's just agree that his judgement, drunk or otherwise, isn't very sound when it comes to that game.
:lol: fair point.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Blatant agendas against Van Gaal/Valencia aside, those comments were fair. Apart from that horrendous error Valencia had had a decent game, in a game where very few United players performed at a decent level. Wouldn't expect the usual suspects to recognise that but there you go.

RikRuud

He should really commit to his new role and try to learn more and improve over the summer. There's a world class Right back in there somewhere but he's too new to the role to already show that on a consistent basis. His defensive awareness is still iffy and honestly his crossing just needs to come back to where it was before.
Spot on, I think he should be our first choice RB next year with Rafael as backup. He's had some solid displays this season and some iffy ones too. If he gets his head down pre season and really studies the role he can make it his own. He's rarely injured and an absolute physical beast.

Nozzy

Spot on, I think he should be our first choice RB next year with Rafael as backup. He's had some solid displays this season and some iffy ones too. If he gets his head down pre season and really studies the role he can make it his own. He's rarely injured and an absolute physical beast.
Probably the way it's going to go, now that the Clyne move has chilled. We see lots of complaining about our two RB's but fee logical suggestions of upgrades that are attainable.

RikRuud

Probably the way it's going to go, now that the Clyne move has chilled. We see lots of complaining about our two RB's but fee logical suggestions of upgrades that are attainable.
To be honest i'm not sure there are many upgrades out there at the moment. World class right backs are in short supply. So i'd be happy for us to save the cash, (unless Rafael wants to leave) and strengthen elsewhere. People have thrown names around like Coleman, Clyne, Carvajal etc but are they even considered an upgrade? Valencia wants to be here, he's loyal and I think deserves the position on performance.

Nozzy

To be honest i'm not sure there are many upgrades out there at the moment.......... Coleman, Clyne, Carvajal etc but are they even considered an upgrade?
Yep, many complain about Valencia/Rafael but few come up with any other names than those you list & I agree, they're not worth the outlay for the supposed gain, IF, they are indeed available & willing to come here in the first place.

ivaldo

Blatant agendas against Van Gaal/Valencia aside, those comments were fair. Apart from that horrendous error Valencia had had a decent game, in a game where very few United players performed at a decent level. Wouldn't expect the usual suspects to recognise that but there you go.
Its a horrendous error, you can't ignore things like that and say he played well. I don't expect the usual agenda driven suspects to recognise that though blah blah blah

Nozzy

Its a horrendous error, you can't ignore things like that and say he played well. I don't expect the usual agenda driven suspects to recognise that though blah blah blah
Who should we get in at RB?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Why is the bar being lowered again for Valencia? And this isn't an alien position, he's played there for years (he played there under Fergie) and its now considered his actual position.
All the defensive positions need years to adapt, they are not based on talent but on experience and instinct, you don't become a right back after 10 games in 10 years. And the bar isn't lowered for Valencia as a right back, he had a good season, just compare his season to the rest of the top 10 right backs.

Nozzy

All the defensive positions need years to adapt, they are not based on instinct or talent but on experience, you become a right back after 10 games in 10 years. And the bar isn't lowered for Valencia as a right back, he had a good season, just compare his season to the rest of the top 10 right backs.
Correct, not many better, in the Prem.

Smores

All the defensive positions need years to adapt, they are not based on talent but on experience and instinct, you don't become a right back after 10 games in 10 years. And the bar isn't lowered for Valencia as a right back, he had a good season, just compare his season to the rest of the top 10 right backs.
How can anyone say he's had a good season really when he's made around 5 horrendous blunders.

Valencia has basically had a season comparative to Evra's worse a couple of seasons ago (with the same slow walking back) but even then Evra actually contributed going forward.

Under Fergie and Moyes he was a disaster in defence, now he's improved to poor. Are we really expecting him to step up to become a right back suitable for a title chasing side?

JPRouve

Scout
How can anyone say he's had a good season really when he's made around 5 horrendous blunders.

Valencia has basically had a season comparative to Evra's worse a couple of seasons ago (with the same slow walking back) but even then Evra actually contributed going forward.

Under Fergie and Moyes he was a disaster in defence, now he's improved to poor. Are we really expecting him to step up to become a right back suitable for a title chasing side?
Who expects that?

As for your comparative, comparing a winger with a world class left back veteran is unfair, Valencia starting the season wasn't a right back.

Last edited:

Nozzy

Alternatives please.

ivaldo

Who should we get in at RB?
Clyne, Coleman, we should've been interested in Darmian. Alves would still be a big upgrade.

Nonsense, you still need to have a huge amount of talent to be a class defender. The club nor the player have the time for him to learn how to play right back.

JPRouve

Scout
Clyne, Coleman, we should've been interested in Darmian. Alves would still be a big upgrade.

Nonsense, you still need to have a huge amount of talent to be a class defender. The club nor the player have the time for him to learn how to play right back.
You are debating alone here, I didn't asked for him to be a starter next season, I didn't even hinted that. As for the talent part who said that you didn't need talents at all? What I said is that it's not based on that, it's based on using the information/experience gained in training and games, and use it to adjust the positioning, the anticipation, the marking in already experienced situations. Defenders improve trough mistakes and the remembering of the said mistakes.

You can't expect from a 29 years old winger that he plays like a veteran fullback.

ivaldo

You are debating alone here, I didn't asked for him to be a starter next season, I didn't even hinted that. As for the talent part who said that you didn't need talents at all? What I said is that it's not based on that, it's based on using the information/experience gained in training and games, and use it to adjust the positioning, the anticipation, the marking in already experienced situations. Defenders improve trough mistakes and the remembering of the said mistakes.

You can't expect from a 29 years old winger that he plays like a veteran fullback.
That's fine JP but you originally quoted me not the other way around, I'm glad we both agree he isn't good enough to be starting for us, which means he needs replacing.

I don't expect him to be able to play like a right back now, that's my point, this isn't a personal thing against Valencia, i'm disagreeing with those who beleive he is good enough to be our rightback.

JPRouve

Scout
That's fine JP but you originally quoted me not the other way around
True, and I responded to your question by naming squad players in big clubs, which I though would be explicit enough. But you want him replaced so much, that you didn't noticed.:p

Nozzy

Alves - can't see it happening.

Clyne talks broke down or LVG agreed with most that he's not a significant (if at all), improvement. Like Coleman, his main strength going forward. Now if you want a defensive improvement Darmain would be worth an enquiry - have we backed out? IF, Munich are in for him, then forget it - even Arsenal & London), might seem a better option to us for the Italian. It's easy to spit out names - getting them is a different matter. :(

ivaldo

True, and I responded to your question by naming squad players in big clubs, which I though would be explicit enough. But you want him replaced so much, that you didn't noticed.:p
Ah see I didn't get that, Sim and Pogue were talking about them being actual starters, hence why I thought you were following suit. :D

Alves - can't see it happening.

Clyne talks broke down or LVG agreed with most that he's not a significant (if at all), improvement. Like Coleman, his main strength going forward. Now if you want a defensive improvement Darmain would be worth an enquiry - have we backed out? IF, Munich are in for him, then forget it - even Arsenal & London), might seem a better option to us for the Italian. It's easy to spit out names - getting them is a different matter. :(
I dunno, I think a decent offer to Alves and we will get his attention. I think you're right about Darmian though he does seem set for Bayern but we do know Bayern have a strict wage policy so if he's motivated by money we could still turn his head. I think we are going to have to again over spend on players this season, once we've reestablished ourselves as a top dog in Europe negotiations might become a little easier.

Nozzy

I dunno, I think a decent offer to Alves and we will get his attention. I think you're right about Darmian though he does seem set for Bayern but we do know Bayern have a strict wage policy so if he's motivated by money we could still turn his head. I think we are going to have to again over spend on players this season, once we've reestablished ourselves as a top dog in Europe negotiations might become a little easier.
Shows just how un straight forward replacing Valencia is.

Smores

Who expects that?

As for your comparative, comparing a winger with a world class left back veteran is unfair, Valencia starting the season wasn't a right back.
Of course It's unfair on him as we shouldn't have that expectation on a declining winger but if he's going to play there then we have to hold him to the standards we expect.

It's not really the managers fault either as he didn't have that many choices and sadly Valencia isn't even the winger he was.

JPRouve

Scout
Of course It's unfair on him as we shouldn't have that expectation on a declining winger but if he's going to play there then we have to hold him to the standards we expect.

It's not really the managers fault either as he didn't have that many choices and sadly Valencia isn't even the winger he was.
No, we shouldn't judge his past season as if he was an elite fullback, he is a decent squad player who had a good season and we should judge his season as the squad player that he is. Now, we can expect or wish to sign someone potentially better.

lem8sh

To be honest i'm not sure there are many upgrades out there at the moment. World class right backs are in short supply. So i'd be happy for us to save the cash, (unless Rafael wants to leave) and strengthen elsewhere. People have thrown names around like Coleman, Clyne, Carvajal etc but are they even considered an upgrade? Valencia wants to be here, he's loyal and I think deserves the position on performance.
Of course the players you mentioned would be a bloody upgrade. This is a player who these days offers zero going forward, refuses to take on a man when he does get in a threatening position, can't cross his legs, is suspect defensively and you are saying we cannot get an upgrade? I've never before come across a player that some fans are willing to drop the bar year on year to justify his performances but with Valencia it is unreal.

Shimo

You really seem to be misinterpreting support players as average players. The fact you compared Valencia to Busquets says it all really.
I didn't compare their ability - I compared their worth to the team as not star players but, those that deliver when called upon. But, that concept seems above you.

LeftyBlaster

Of course the players you mentioned would be a bloody upgrade. This is a player who these days offers zero going forward, refuses to take on a man when he does get in a threatening position, can't cross his legs, is suspect defensively and you are saying we cannot get an upgrade? I've never before come across a player that some fans are willing to drop the bar year on year to justify his performances but with Valencia it is unreal.
This.

ivaldo

I didn't compare their ability - I compared their worth to the team as not star players but, those that deliver when called upon. But, that concept seems above you.
:lol:

When in truth great teams are made by a combination of great players and by role players such as the Busquets, Pedros and the likes. United's problem right now has not been the likes of Valencia does not belong but, more that the players we expect great things from have not delivered - the likes Rooney, RVP, Falcao, ADM.
You originally call Valencia a squad option, then you compare him to Busquets and Pedro, one of which is a guaranteed starter and the other is a different type of player completely, he just happens to have the best forward line in the world in front of him. To go back to my point, you're confusing Valencia who 'does a job' for the team with Busquets, who is world class player in a supporting role and Pedro who would walk into pretty much any team in the world. They're different things.

Anyway we are digressing so let's just agree to disagree.

Last edited:

reelworld

Yeah, considering Valencia used to be a winger, it's mind boggling that he so shite at the attacking aspect of the fullback position. I can understand if it's the defensive part of the role, but he looks absolutely clueless going forward

Roosney

It's funny how you guys don't rate Valencia at all. He's a solid performer and his presence alone has prevented us getting trainwrecked for a couple seasons now.
And the talk about offering zero going forward, pffft. For example the first goal in the MUN-LIV game this season was the nicest goals by us I've seen in a while.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
Roosney off the top of your head, list 9 other assists by Valencia :) See, that is the thing. You give one example. Someone of his ability, should be able to cross without hitting the first defender.

Kakeru

It's funny how you guys don't rate Valencia at all. He's a solid performer and his presence alone has prevented us getting trainwrecked for a couple seasons now.
That's ridiculous. In fact, he's one of the reasons why we have down the gutter with his decline combined to his lack of technical ability. What's even more baffling has been how none of our last 3 managers has had the guts to tell him to forget a place in the starting lineup or simply that he's not part of the short term future anymore.

I hope we sign a new RB while using Varela as a backup for that position next season. The further I see Valencia from the main squad, the better several fans will feel. Enough with this conundrum already.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
He was positionally atrocious in that game long before that error, I remember the gaping hole through which Sanchez and co. kept walking into our box, including for the 1st goal, and of course he handed them the second.

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/antonio-valencia-2014-15-performances.395263/page-53#post-17225354

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
He's a manager's dream. No ego, follows instructions, no agent, won't fuss if I the bench, keeps his game simple, and is stronger and faster than 99% of attackers.

I'm good with him and Rafael at RB. Just hope that LVG ops for Rafael if he is fit.