View full 2014-15 profile

5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

so assuming we sign darmian, what does this mean for valencia?

surely, SURELY there's no way he'll play as a winger again. i'd like to think that he'll then be RB backup, as rafa will be out.
In the beginning of the season, probably nothing. I can't claim that i've watched many of Torino's games in the Serie A but i don't think that there's something that suggests Darmian will be a regular starter from day one. To me he seems more or less like a utility player. He can play on both flanks, in fact he played as a (defensive) left wing back more than anything else at Torino, plus his height and strength allow him to be a choice in the center half position too.

Probably a better defender than Valencia, tactically inept (as any Italian footballer who gets called in the NT) with and without the ball which is something that LvG rates highly but not as pacey as Valencia and with zero experience at a top club which doesn't defend with 8 or more players behind the ball. We'll have to wait and see if he's going to prove himself significantly better than Valencia on the pitch.

Right now, he seems like a rather cheap but clever signing who will start his United career as a back up for both Valencia and Shaw. Until we get the chance to watch him on the pitch the only "safe" conclusion we can draw is LvG's intention to have enough options at both FBs positions so he won't have to Smalling, Jones or even Rojo and Blind there.

ravelston

In the beginning of the season, probably nothing. I can't claim that i've watched many of Torino's games in the Serie A but i don't think that there's something that suggests Darmian will be a regular starter from day one. To me he seems more or less like a utility player. He can play on both flanks, in fact he played as a (defensive) left wing back more than anything else at Torino, plus his height and strength allow him to be a choice in the center half position too.

Probably a better defender than Valencia, tactically inept (as any Italian footballer who gets called in the NT) with and without the ball which is something that LvG rates highly but not as pacey as Valencia and with zero experience at a top club which doesn't defend with 8 or more players behind the ball. We'll have to wait and see if he's going to prove himself significantly better than Valencia on the pitch.

Right now, he seems like a rather cheap but clever signing who will start his United career as a back up for both Valencia and Shaw. Until we get the chance to watch him on the pitch the only "safe" conclusion we can draw is LvG's intention to have enough options at both FBs positions so he won't have to Smalling, Jones or even Rojo and Blind there.
I doubt if we've bought (hopefully) the best right back in Serie A (who was also voted best player on the Italian NT) with the intention that he should be a backup. And, as a point of information, he played more games as right wing back than left last season (Torino play 3 at the back, so they play wing backs rather than full backs.)

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

I doubt if we've bought (hopefully) the best right back in Serie A (who was also voted best player on the Italian NT) with the intention that he should be a backup. And, as a point of information, he played more games as right wing back than left last season (Torino play 3 at the back, so they play wing backs rather than full backs.)
If you have watched him play a lot, i'll gladly take your word for him. He started in RWB in Europe but in the Serie A Perez was Torino's first choice in that position and Darmian shared the LWB role with Molinaro and got some games (8 or 9) at RWB. Which, by all means, is a good thing for us.

I believe Lichtsteiner is still the best RB/RWB in Serie A. If we take him out of the equation, being the best among players like Basta, Tomovic, Maicon, Maggio, Silvestri and Torosidis doesn't really say that much to me. As i said i haven't watched him play much.

I'm willing to trust LvG's judgement on the matter but, as things stand, i want to watch him play for us on the pitch before i say that he's a definite upgrade on Valencia. At this point i'm just glad we didn't go for van der Wiel.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
If you have watched him play a lot, i'll gladly take your word for him. He started in RWB in Europe but in the Serie A Perez was Torino's first choice in that position and Darmian shared the LWB role with Molinaro and got some games (8 or 9) at RWB. Which, by all means, is a good thing for us.

I believe Lichtsteiner is still the best RB/RWB in Serie A. If we take him out of the equation, being the best among players like Basta, Tomovic, Maicon, Maggio, Silvestri and Torosidis doesn't really say that much to me. As i said i haven't watched him play much.

I'm willing to trust LvG's judgement on the matter but, as things stand, i want to watch him play for us on the pitch before i say that he's a definite upgrade on Valencia. At this point i'm just glad we didn't go forDayna Vendetta.
A truly average player.