Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Skills

Snitch
Has turned into an excellent full back. Hopefully we utilise him better next season.

Has turned into an excellent full back. Hopefully we utilise him better next season.
Didn't we utilise him pretty darn well last year? Very consistant, stand out performer - unless you mean resting him at times, as he did appear to burn out near the end.

Dante

Average bang
I don't think there's another fullback in the world who can single-handedly dominate a flank like our Valencia. It's telling that our right-winger is always the one who's allowed to play narrow. Valencia is the reason that's been possible.

He's the human form of an inch perfect longball. Impossible to stop and can instantly turn defence into attack.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I don't think there's another fullback in the world who can single-handedly dominate a flank like our Valencia. It's telling that our right-winger is always the one who's allowed to play narrow. Valencia is the reason that's been possible.

He's the human form of an inch perfect longball. Impossible to stop and can instantly turn defence into attack.
Don't exaggerate. Marcelo was dominating left flanks in the CL last season.

Shuriken

Didn't really know where else to write this so I'll borrow Tony's thread briefly, since he's also a right back: what about Varela?

After his tattoo disagreement with Eintracht Frankfurt he actually was on United's retain list released last month.

No news at all regarding him, and since he's not on tour with the squad, I'm guessing he's on his way out?

Google didn't tell me too much either.

Blind

Didn't really know where else to write this so I'll borrow Tony's thread briefly, since he's also a right back: what about Varela?

After his tattoo disagreement with Eintracht Frankfurt he actually was on United's retain list released last month.

No news at all regarding him, and since he's not on tour with the squad, I'm guessing he's on his way out?

Google didn't tell me too much either.
He's one of those players in limbo, Borthwick-Jackson's another one, I assume they'll both be sold quietly.

el3mel

Being a deserved red or not, why the feck give a red card in a meaningless preseason game and prevent the player from restoring his fitness ? It's not like if he hadn't given the red anything would have happened.

Ref was an real moron who seeks attention.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
How on earth was that a red! Wouldn't have been a red in the premier league let alone a friendly

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Apparently ref asked Jose to sub him and Jose said no so ref red carded him. If this is true then both the ref and Jose are a pair of plonkers. Heard on the radio this morning.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Terrible decision by the ref as it was never a red. He took an age to give it too.
Regardless of the card being red or yellow, the ref doesn't have to card the player asap. He can always assess the damage done on the player and change his view. That was a completely unnecessary challenge by Valencia, really dumb from him.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Quite a feat to get sent off in a friendly.
Indeed, and he's done it twice in his career now... clearly he just hates the idea of a "friendly" environment

Though as others have said, it was never in a million years a red card challenge... though still a dumb thing to do in a friendly.

CG1010

Indeed, and he's done it twice in his career now... clearly he just hates the idea of a "friendly" environment

Though as others have said, it was never in a million years a red card challenge... though still a dumb thing to do in a friendly.
Its weird, he is normally uber-cool in competitive matches;)

pascell

According to MEN no PL match suspensions nowadays for a preseason red
The FA have changed their stance I see, was expecting a 5 game ban from them even though we have pre season games left to play.

Think they banned either Scholes or Rooney for getting a red in a pre season friendly? Can't remember which one

Robertd0803

The FA have changed their stance I see, was expecting a 5 game ban from them even though we have pre season games left to play.

Think they banned either Scholes or Rooney for getting a red in a pre season friendly? Can't remember which one
They banned both for reds in some stupid Amsterdam Tournement.

Ferguson

Scholes and Rooney both served three match suspensions at the start of the PL for red cards in a meaningless preseason tournament in Holland.

I'm glad they changed the rule.

savais

If Im not mistaken...the letter of the law states that tackles from behind are a red card offence. I remember hearing about it at one of the world cups. Having said that, considering it was a friendly, a red seems harsh. To be fair to the ref...he gave Jose a chance to sub Valencia but Jose refused, which is silly as he should have realized the consequences.

arthurka

This was the bugger that fouled Mata so well in Valencia.. But never in a million years a red card offence.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
See, I don't understand this 'it's only a friendly' business. If anything it makes even more sense to give a red card to a player who gets overly aggressive during what is 'only a friendly'. Don't think the ref had much choice myself.

Token Sheet

"No 6 bus to Old Trafford 6p, Admission to re
Scholes and Rooney both served three match suspensions at the start of the PL for red cards in a meaningless preseason tournament in Holland.

I'm glad they changed the rule.
Steven Gerrard and Neil Mellor were both sent off for Liverpool in the same tournament the previous year. Neither received a ban at the start of that season.

Acole9

Outstanding
So he shouldn't be, the Amsterdam tournament was in August and at the end of our preparations for that season. If he is to be suspended then it should just be for the next tour match.

Sigma

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.../manchester-united-valencia-red-card-13351997

Antonio Valencia has apologised for the moment of madness that led to his bizarre red card against Real Salt Lake.

The Manchester United full back was sent off for a crunching tackle on Sebastian Saucedo in Monday's friendly.

Jose Mourinho was given the opportunity to substitute the 31-year-old - but when he refused, referee Allen Chapman gave the defender his marching orders.

It was a moment that could cost Valencia his chances of captaining United in the future, having taken the armband from Michael Carrick at half time.

“It was my fault,” he said. “I hope that it doesn’t happen in an important competition like the Premier League or the Champions League.

“It was a friendly. I want to apologise to the fans and my team.

“I hope it will not happen in the future.”

He added: “It was my mistake. The boy was very excited and he wound me up a bit and I hope it doesn’t happen in the future.”

Carrick has been named club captain following the departure of Wayne Rooney this summer.

But with the veteran midfielder unlikely to hold down a regular starting berth, Mourinho will look to alternatives to wear the armband in his absence.

Valencia is among the leading contenders, along with David de Gea and Ander Herrera.

NoPace

An underrated thing about him is that he doesn't panic when pressed and can normally find a pass to keep possession or if not he can play a 1-2 and get in behind himself. We've often struggled with that (who can forget Scholes coming on in that CL final against Barca and being the only comfortable guy we have) at various spots.

Carlsen19

Don't listen to my lies RE: Lineups
31 years old and he hasn't even bothered to try and get remotely competent with his left foot. A bit of a joke, really.

Status
Not open for further replies.