5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Should know better than to try and control the ball in his own box with Neymar right behind him.

He's had a shocker of a pre season really and doesn't seem himself somehow.

el3mel

Bad game, terrible mistake. If you can't control the ball with your left foot get rid of it away not what he did. It's good it came at a meaningless match.

Hasn't been that impressive in preseason but hope he catches his form as soon as the season starts.

RikRuud

Shame about the control could have easily been a free kick but oh well I'm sure Mourinho will tell him to get rid next time. All came from a Blind misplaced pass that my grandmother could have played and we should never have been put in that position. I do agree he's not been the best this pre season but neither have a few players.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Shame about the control could have easily been a free kick but oh well I'm sure Mourinho will tell him to get rid next time. All came from a Blind misplaced pass that my grandmother could have played and we should never have been put in that position. I do agree he's not been the best this pre season but neither have a few players.
It came from Valencia fecking up, stop making excuses.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Literally no excuse in my post. Valencia should have dealt with it. Counter came directly from Blinds pass.
You've said it could have been a free kick and put far more emphasis on a misplaced pass. So yeah you have.

Rossa

Surprised I'm the first to bump this. It's remarkable how much of our best attacking football involves this bloke. Worryingly so. I wonder if Jose fancies Perisic as a wing-back on the opposite flank?
Didn't get to watch th match, but was he any good?
Supposedly, according to some on here, he has lost a lot of pace and stamina and only has a decent first touch, and he is rubbish in attack.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Supposedly, according to some on here, he has lost a lot of pace and stamina and only has a decent first touch, and he is rubbish in attack.
I was at the game. He was very good. The only player giving us real width, a constant threat going forwards and consistently used the ball well. Put one on a plate for Mikhi too. Faded a bit towards the end of the second half, mind you. Think he also dropped a bollock in the lead-up to their goal. Would need to see a replay.

notcool

Supports
a
He played as a wingback and one diagonal from Pogba meant he had a lot of space up against the opposing fullback. David May was constantly yelling at our players in commentary to 'switch it' which gives you an idea of how open he was.

snk123

Is it just me or was he whipping crosses in today instead of his usual floating ones?

Dazzmondo

MOTM tonight. 1st half he was absolutely brilliant. Covered a ridiculous amount of ground and put in some excellent crosses. Used his pace and skill very effectively and link up play with Mkhi and Pereira was really good (even though Pereira didn't deliver on his end). Not as good in 2nd half but still one of our better players. Did make a bad mistake for the goal though.

Rossa

I was at the game. He was very good. The only player giving us real width, a constant threat going forwards and consistently used the ball well. Put one on a plate for Mikhi too. Faded a bit towards the end of the second half, mind you. Think he also dropped a bollock in the lead-up to their goal. Would need to see a replay.
Thanks for the update! He does provide us with real width, and that is a part of his game that is so important in freeing up space for others as it creates unbalance for the other team seeing as they immediately have two players leaving their positions to stop him. He hasn't played that much in pre season, so it's only natural that he faded a little towards the end. Normally, he looks to run more and harder towards the end of matches as the opposition tire.

Rossa

He played as a wingback and one diagonal from Pogba meant he had a lot of space up against the opposing fullback. David May was constantly yelling at our players in commentary to 'switch it' which gives you an idea of how open he was.
Probably perfect as a wingback. The great thing about Valencia is that he actually exploits that space down the side. Lingard, Mata and Miki don't.

meamth

It's mind blowing at the newbie thread. People call this guy a rubbish.
Against Sampdoria he was immense. Forget the assists, as long as he was involved in the goal like today, he is the greatest option we have on the right.
Brilliant player, the physical abilities are still there too. Fit as feck.

Obiorahking_

I hope we get a right back this summer to rest him for the big games. He covers too much damn ground

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
Looks like he's been working on his crossing. It's the first time in a long time that I've seen him whip in a cross like that.

Usually it's just smashing the ball into the fullbacks legs as hard as possible, or sending a loopy, floated cross that's easy to defend.

Dobbs

Probably perfect as a wingback. The great thing about Valencia is that he actually exploits that space down the side. Lingard, Mata and Miki don't.
I'm not sure about that. He sometimes moves into that space but let's be honest, it usually comes to nothing with him stopping, turning and safely passing it infield.

He's a top pro, great athlete, very safe pair of hands but ultimately I feel we need something more in that position. So much of our play goes through the right that I feel that guy has to be special. Valencia's game just lacks imagination and flair.

Sigma

Seems to be one our only attacking threats again.

Devil may care

Mr. reliable, put in a couple of good balls and offered our most effective wide threat.

Walters_19_MuFc

Unfortunately, Valencia doesn't get the plaudits he deserves. That said, his work didn't go unnoticed last season, as he won players player.

He's just so reliable and consistent. Very rarely see him put in a bad performance. We'd so much better if we had someone like Tony on the left. The few times he got into a 1v1 with Marcelo, he eased past him and delivered some nice crosses into the box.

He and Matic were easily our best players, in my opinion, with Rashford and Fellaini giving good cameos.

Rossa

Thought he was out of positions defensively a few times, but it looked to be tactics. Good going forward, destroyed Marcelo a few times and offered him nothing the other way.

freeurmind

weak willed
Thought it was one of his poorer performances. You could argue he was at fault for both goals. Playing offside and being static and getting caught out. His crosses were poor again but his willingness to attack Marcelo in those 1 v 1 situations is encouraging. Hopefully this was just an off night defensively.

Blind

He clearly still has the pace and power to get past any full back 1v1, so frustrating how many times he would just stop when he was in full flight last season.

LuisNaniencia

Sky Sports called my bluff
Thought it was one of his poorer performances. You could argue he was at fault for both goals. Playing offside and being static and getting caught out. His crosses were poor again but his willingness to attack Marcelo in those 1 v 1 situations is encouraging. Hopefully this was just an off night defensively.
Rubbish. He put in a few good crosses last night. One absolute peach to Fellaini.

freeurmind

weak willed
Rubbish. He put in a few good crosses last night. One absolute peach to Fellaini.
That's the only cross I can remember actually finding a United player. The others were all intercepted or deflected at the near post.

Sigma

http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-F...de-United-about-201718-and-Romelu-Lukaku.aspx

VALENCIA PREVIEWS 2017/18 WITH INSIDE UNITED
The 2017/18 season will bring up a big milestone for Antonio Valencia. With 292 Manchester United appearances under his belt going into the Premier League campaign, the buccaneering full-back will soon hit the 300 mark, the preserve of Reds servants only of a certain standing.

But when sitting down with Inside United during the club’s pre-season tour in the USA, it was clear that Antonio won’t be focusing on personal achievements, impressive as that 300-mark may be. No, the thing that motivates him is simple: winning trophies. It’s a theme he returns to time and again during our chat, and it’s abundantly clear that it’s the silver stuff that keeps his fires burning.

Valencia already has nine trophies as a United player, but going into his ninth season he desperately wants to increase that haul. And as he told us in the States, he has strong belief that the club is in shape to challenge on all trophy fronts, with Jose Mourinho’s ideas and methods firmly embedded, and extra firepower added to what was already a powerful, confident and motivated squad.

“The confidence is very good,” he states. “We won three trophies last season and we want more this time around. Everybody had a good break and we have come back with renewed determination. Our training in the US was hard, but we are all together and want to achieve more success this season.”

Romelu Lukaku is the man who has bolstered that forward line the most and the Belgium international is quickly making a big impact on his team-mates, primarily due to his scoring form in pre-season and sharp performances in training. Furthermore, the summer signing’s hulking frame has also caught the eye and the similarly tank-like Valencia is humbled by such size and power.

“Lukaku has done a great job with the clubs that he has been at,” Antonio says. “I am a kid next to Romelu! [Laughs] He truly is strong. I have seen him work on the field and in the gym. It’s truly incredible to see his strength, power and the intelligence he possesses. We hope it is a good year for him and the team.”

Having faced Lukaku many times in the Premier League before, and trained with him for the last six weeks, Valencia is certain in his response when asked if Romelu is a defender’s worst nightmare.

“Definitely,” the 31-year-old explains with a knowing smile. “He is strong, but he also has good movement around the field and if I am playing as a defender then I would not like to play against him!”

The big question, of course, is not about winning football matches or trophies, but who would win in an arm wrestle between Valencia and Lukaku! “I think he would,” Antonio concedes. “He is too strong!”

Read the full six-page, exclusive interview with Antonio in the September edition of Inside United magazine, which is available to order online and at Old Trafford.

Man Utd 4:0 West Ham

Sylar

I think more often than not he will be good for us. Its the big games that I worry about as he will be pushed back more (which brings into question some of his positional play or ball watching). And his inability to use his left foot to get out of jams.

But we wont come up against that week in and week out, so him bombing up and down is a needed outlet (esp given how weak our left side can be)

Status
Not open for further replies.