Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

SATA

There was a moment late in the second half when we were counter attacking and Pogba was busting a gut to get into City's box. All Valencia had to do was to look up and play an obvious ball towards Pogba and it would have been 4-2

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
He's becoming a better defender than an attacking fullback. I think he's been our best defender over the course of the season.

yardieUnited

I feel like José will Rooney him out of the squad next year.
Hope so, not good defensively and not good offensively. Kills a lot of our attacks. Honestly hope Mourinho moves forwards from him and young next season and make them squad player.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I love Valencia and he's been a great servant for United. But him and Young need replacing don't they, I think most people know that already.
I think two modern fullbacks are all that's stopping us from competing for the league next season, well that and a top centre back.
Valencia as a squad player would do for next season.

Ashley R1+O

He also was the only one who got back and disturbed Sterling when he was through one on one; most likely helped stop a goal there. For their second goal, Valencia was right in staying further up field. Don’t think he could have done much. Terrible for conceding the corner for the first though.
We can go tit for tat, he did some good some bad. No problems there, the main thing is that we won. Most of the bad from the last few seasons can instantly be summed up by "he's not a full back *shrug*". Which is a problem in among itself, but not one big enough for him to be straight-up torp punted out of the team with a harsh goodbye. We have some wiggle room to gradually fade him out of the starting lineup with a new and younger guy to settle and it may actually provide a boon further up on the pitch as he can deputize on all positions on the right side.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
He's always relied pretty heavily on his pace. That's starting to go now (though he's still very quick) and he doesn't have enough variation in his game to contribute to the attack in different ways.

RedStarUnited

There was a moment late in the second half when we were counter attacking and Pogba was busting a gut to get into City's box. All Valencia had to do was to look up and play an obvious ball towards Pogba and it would have been 4-2
He looked up,, he just didnt see Pogbas run or didnt trust himself to play the pass.

Simply awful decision.

Deleted member 101472

genuine question, does anyone know exactly why he is our captain? Is it for lack of a better option?

Darwin09

Theory of Thread Pollution
This is probably a big contributing factor to his currently mellow form:

Also, Young is operating as the attacking fullback as seen in that photo. Mourinho always likes one attacking fullback and one defensive one - which is what Valencia is in this set-up.

Wow that’s a stunning graphic. A one-man right flank.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Was screaming for him to pass to Pogba.
Difficult having a go at him. He has given everything since he's been here.
He's still has a high top speed but has become very slow over 5/10 yards.
It's the main reason he can't beat a man at the moment.
There were rumours he needs surgery. I have a feeling, they put it off because a surgery on his ankle might finish him off at the highest level.
I can't see him coming back strong from a 6/7 month lay-off.

Canagel

I don't feel as secure at the back with Valencia as I used to feel 2/3 years ago. The City 1st goal came from his shite clearance which gave away a needless corner. He has played so much over the years non stop with hardly no rest and RB is such a demanding position. Slowly he needs to be phased out of the team before he starts costing us and starts making vital mistakes. The warning signs are already there. He is on the decline and has to make way for a replacement. He can stay as a squad player but I feel this is it for Valencia which is sad because he's been such a great servant to the club over the years and has done great to transform himself into a new position as well. Now we must start looking for replacements.

criticalanalysis

At the beginning of the season he was beasting and since that first lay off and when Mourinho commented he need time to rest/might require surgery, his performances have not been the same.

I wouldn't be against phasing him out with a new right back next season but at the same time, I don't mind him being first choice next season.

Half of that is because he's a consummate professional and his work on the right is horribly exposed by our tactics, set up and personnel.

He's still a fantastic outlet on the right providing width, ball rentention and penetration.

stevoc

Wank going forward today as he has been for quite some time. Don't mind him as back up but he needs replaced with a proper RB.

Bojan11

All our attacking play goes through him hence why we don’t create many chances or score.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
He's a good defender, but his attacking contribution seems to lessen as each game passes by. Every time we had the ball, I found myself hoping that we didn't attack down the right and give him the ball. He does nothing with it.

He's still got stacks of pace. Why doesn't he use it?

yardieUnited

Truly terrible performance.

To think he was the captain today and he showed no emotion. He was walking around the pitch and did his usual back passes, until the 79 minute when he made a cross.

Last edited by a moderator:

thejtrain

Done for at his level of football.

Anything more than a squad player next season and we're fecked.
Absolutely. We could do with him in some cup competitions for rotation, but shouldn't be a starter anymore. It is just too obvious at the moment.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
I think he's a philosopher. Much like Matic, sometimes, he has to think about 500 things before releasing the ball. And oftentimes, it's too late.

Roboc7

Would be fine as a backup but not signing a replacement this summer would be negligent, same goes for young.

Djemba-Djemba

Desperately needs replacing in the Summer.

His unwillingness to attack their fullback was infuriating. He'd get the ball in acres of space and was content to just pass it back almost every time.

Morpheus 7

He was a coward today, never thought I would say that about Toni V. He never once tried to take on his man on the wing, safe option everytime if he was intimataded. Not the standard we need going forward.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
I decided to count how many times Valencia ran at the fullback, stopped and did a backwards pass. I stopped counting at 12.

Hawks2008

Tired of watching so many attacks come to a halt once a defender gets square to him. I love Tony for his service to the club and he's a great professional but he needs replacing.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Matic and Sanchez were noticably avoiding him by the end, even when he was in good space, as he would just meet a defender then pass it back inside to them. He’s not good enough in the games where we are on the front foot. He cannot attack a full back.

Got into an argument at the ground as I was told he was our best player all season and shouldn’t be criticised. Same bloke spent the final twenty minutes cat calling and sarcastically applauding entire team pissed out of his head.

redom

If we're going to keep using inverted wingers/inside forwards that constantly look to come inside then we need our fullbacks to provide constant width by hugging the touchline and providing genuine overlapping runs, too often Valencia is stood out wide but doesn't actually provide any attacking outlet as all he does is look to knock it back or square.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Love Valencia but I think that’s him done and dusted. He’s got the heart, desire and all of that but in terms of helping us put the ball in the net, he’s not that guy anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.