Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Icemav

hmmmm not impressed. Lacks so much in attack and cannot cross. Good defensively though but really we need more.

Sigma

hmmmm not impressed. Lacks so much in attack and cannot cross. Good defensively though but really we need more.
He produced 1 excellent cross and it nearly lead to a Blind goal. What are you talking about?

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
I think more often than not he will be good for us. Its the big games that I worry about as he will be pushed back more (which brings into question some of his positional play or ball watching). And his inability to use his left foot to get out of jams.

But we wont come up against that week in and week out, so him bombing up and down is a needed outlet (esp given how weak our left side can be)
He's never looked out of place even against the better sides.

More than held his own against the best side in the world just last week.

Sylar

He's never looked out of place even against the better sides.

More than held his own against the best side in the world just last week.
Except the ball watching on Iscos goal. Might seem small but makes a big difference (and Yes Matic did slip but he should have been tucked in). Maybe Harsh but thats the top level.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
Except the ball watching on Iscos goal. Might seem small but makes a big difference (and Yes Matic did slip but he should have been tucked in). Maybe Harsh but thats the top level.
Granted he made a mistake, but that is usually the exception with Antonio.

He has been a rock in our defense since displacing Rafael.

Under intense scrutiny too.

Rossa

So, so funny when knuckleheads like Arnautovic pushes the ball forward trying to outpace Valencia. I´ve not seen one player yet to manage it. I thought he was decent today, but overall a little quiet. He had a great cross for Blind and one more that was good, and he made a brilliant clearance with his left foot that found Lukaku...

M Bison

Supports
York City
Surprised at the criticism he's getting, another solid performance from him. Cant remember the last game he played badly.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
Excuse me for asking this, but why did Valencia get picked to be captain? I missed out on this. Thanks.
Vice-Captain. Carrick is the captain, but he's not going to play every game, so I guess Mourinho gave it to the next most senior person in the team. Someone who is going to play week in week out and give consistently good performances. He was also chosen as the players' player of the year last season, so he has the respect of his teammates.

Dr. StrangeHate

It seems he was asked to be more defensive today to allow Mikhitaryan and Mata to operate in front of him. Last year he was flying in all the time on the right and destroying shins.

N2402

why he's captain i don't know, you never see him 'leading'.. can he even speck english? - After watching matic today and last tuesday you see him organising the team thats what i want from a captain.

But Antonio is consistent i just wish he crossed the ball first time and not just a low drive.

Sigma

why he's captain i don't know, you never see him 'leading'.. can he even speck english? - After watching matic today and last tuesday you see him organising the team thats what i want from a captain.

But Antonio is consistent i just wish he crossed the ball first time and not just a low drive.
Having the captains armband doesn't really mean anything.

Reddevildans

Ive noticed the technique of his crossing has changed throughout pre season and now. Hes looking up more and puting more swing on the ball.

criticalanalysis

To be fair, Valencia leads with his performances and I do think we are seeing that extra bit of responsibility and drive.

He's not much of an organiser but he's the first to ask for the ball and the first to defend too.

LeftyBlaster

Quite solid defensively, but absolutely one dimensional and frustrating going forward. Twice he got forced back because he couldn't use his left foot and pinged an overhit back pass. We need better offensively from our fullbacks.

Darwin09

Theory of Thread Pollution
In games like today you can't expect him to be rampaging down the right side. We were dominating possession, playing in their half and looking comfortable for most of the match. Not really any need to have your fullback upfield and leaving gaps in the defense. You tend to see his best performances when we face an opponent that is taking the game to us, which leaves spaces for him to run into on the right side.

Swansea 0:4 Man Utd

el3mel

That's the first time in last 2 years I have been really annoyed by his dead left leg. All the first half he got multiple of chances to cross but instead backpass the ball because it's on his left leg.

Wayne's World

We need to sign a right-back just to give him a rest at some stage of the season. He can't play 50+ games for us

Fracture90

Seriously I pity the poor soul that has to play against him down the right flank. The way he was literally bullying Olsson and Routledge of the ball in the 2nd half is scary.

Don't understand the criticism for today's match, he was great defensively and offensively it was probably part of the plan for him to play a bit more cautiously consider the speed Swansea had on the counter with Ayew and Olsson.

Great stuff from captain Tony.

Sigma

Seriously I pity the poor soul that has to play against him down the right flank. The way he was literally bullying Olsson and Routledge of the ball in the 2nd half is scary.

Don't understand the criticism for today's match, he was great defensively and offensively it was probably part of the plan for him to play a bit more cautiously consider the speed Swansea had on the counter with Ayew and Olsson.

I agree. Defensively he was brilliant. Offensively he was OK. But so was Blind. Other players, whose primal job it is to attack, were successful today. We don't need all 10 outfield players to have amazing attacking performances every game. Really don't understand some of the criticism he's getting.

Fracture90

I agree. Defensively he was brilliant. Offensively he was OK. But so was Blind. Other players, whose primal job it is to attack, were successful today. We don't need all 10 outfield players to have amazing attacking performances every game. Really don't understand some of the criticism he's getting.
Exactly that. People do tend to forget that when Mata is playing on the RW, Valencia has his defensive duties doubled, hence why Mata can play freely in the offense.

LeftyBlaster

Exactly that. People do tend to forget that when Mata is playing on the RW, Valencia has his defensive duties doubled, hence why Mata can play freely in the offense.
That's a good point but it doesn't change the fact that when hes on the ball durinf an offensive phase he completely kills our tempo, or forced to go narrow or go back. It accentuates how hard a time we have of breaking down teams who sit back like Swansea did today.

kiristao

He does a good job defensively specially considering Mata is ahead of him. Just wish that when he does get in a 1 v 1 situation he tries to beat the man and put in a cross. Now that we have Matic sitting back he can afford to take the risk

Sylar

I thought he gave the ball away a lot in the first half. Hes obviously regressed in terms of attacking play but I guess that was to be expected, maybe?

Fracture90

That's a good point but it doesn't change the fact that when hes on the ball durinf an offensive phase he completely kills our tempo, or forced to go narrow or go back. It accentuates how hard a time we have of breaking down teams who sit back like Swansea did today.
Have you noticed how crowded that right side was more often than not? Why do people expect him to be like Messi? He knows his job and he's doing it properly, the way Mourinho wants it.

Rai7

This.
I never understand the criticism of Valencia. He shuts down whoever he's up against and is cautious because he usually has either Mata or Micky on the right. Neither of whom defends very well and most importantly often drift on to the middle and leave the right exposed. The fact that Valencia covers his side and still makes himself a passing outlet on the right for everybody is immense. Possibly my favorite United player along with Rashford and Martial.

Dembeza

For those complaining about his performance lets not forget that Swansea played with 3 at the back and the wingbacks were covering the channels that Valencia's mostly occupies. The game was very tough and only opened up after we scored a goal, Swansea were happy to sit back and Valencia had no option but to pass the ball back since there was no space to run.

LeftyBlaster

Have you noticed how crowded that right side was more often than not? Why do people expect him to be like Messi? He knows his job and he's doing it properly, the way Mourinho wants it.
Nobody's expecting him to be like Messi. I agree that right hand side was congested but when he did get opportunity to roam forward. It was all for nothing because he either went back or went sideways and narrow. You can see how limited his passing is too when an opponent stands him off because he won't even shift his body to play a pass with his left foot. It's little things like that which convince me that we need a right back with two feet not one.

He seems to be escaping criticism, he's not on last season's form yet. Defensively he has been a bit slack in concentration. Swansea played a few crosses yesterday, one or two very dangerous ones, all coming from his side. Its always been a bit of a problem of his but it seems more pronounced these last few games.

And let's not start on that left foot.

Fracture90

Nobody's expecting him to be like Messi. I agree that right hand side was congested but when he did get opportunity to roam forward. It was all for nothing because he either went back or went sideways and narrow. You can see how limited his passing is too when an opponent stands him off because he won't even shift his body to play a pass with his left foot. It's little things like that which convince me that we need a right back with two feet not one.
His passing is limited? In order to make a pass you need to have teammates open, something he didn't have very often. Your just a complainer, guy did a great job covering for both him and Mata, and yet here you are complaining how he should be still bombing upfront completely ignoring the fact he was virtually alone up against 2 very pacey and dangerous players in Olsson and Routledge.

Status
Not open for further replies.