Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lowkey

i still do not understand how someone who has been in the country for this long, the captain of our football club, and still he cant speak more than basic english. I think its embarassing personally, not just for him but for the club.

In regards to form, he has been out for a while and will need time to get back to any sort of form. If Atsu can do that to him, then pretty much every other left winger will do the same week in/week out.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
He needs to go to China and get a huge payday for the road.
That's a very good suggestion. He's been a model professional and would still be a good player for some team with lower expectations.

Womp

idiot
To be fair, his offensive contributions turned to shite in Fergie's last season and that was as a winger, let alone a fullback who for the majority of his time as a RB played for LVG and Mourinho's tumescent, slow, tactics.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
There's no way he was under instructions to stay back. Mata didn't play on the right and was central most of the time.
Which self respecting coach would then ask the full back to leave that space empty?
Over the last years, the only thing he had going for him was his dynamism and engine. Even that looks gone. He can't beat a man, can't whip in a cross, seemingly cannot run or cross the halfway line. Did he play a single corss yesterday? How many times did he even get to the last third of the pitch? In a team that had 70%+ of the ball, it's fecking poor.
He's essentially a CB playing RB.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Both he and Herrera down that side were passing extremely sideways. I thought Herrera had improved on this a bit in his last few games but maybe you can blame Valencia for Herrera's passivity too? As a result, that entire right side was dead all game. Everything came from the left or left of central midfield.
Not having that. Look at the highlights and almost every chance we had started with a penetrative pass from Ander. Our right side was dead because Valencia never pushed up the pitch. Mata doesn't have the pace to trouble players one on one and so was drifting in field.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
One injury like that at his age can really end a career early, and with a slow, painful ending where they come to realise once that bit of pace has been stripped away they can no longer play like they used to. Was similar for Neville. It's not like the ankle injury ended his career on the spot, he came back and just wasn't the same.

Valencia seems like a lovely guy but I really hope we're able to be ruthless on this one. If Young isn't available play Dalot, every time. If Valencia can't provide width on the right he shouldn't be in the team. People complained about his end product before but at least he stretched teams and provided options. His defending got better over the years but he still doesn't read the game well, so we can't be keeping him in on that basis either. I'd be tempted to start Darmian ahead of him...

CM

I was beginning to notice a bit of a decline in his performances last season but Valencia's looked very obviously off the pace in each of his appearances this season. It looks like that knee injury has finished him.

Andersons Dietician

That was in the 16/17 season when Valencia was still good. You'd struggle to find a better rightback.
I could have walked to my local pitch thrown a stone in to a crowd of people and found a better RB, he wasn’t good that season, he was doing the same things as he does now, scared to go beyond the half way line or playing like there was a bungee cord on him and instead of putting in crosses he’d lump in long diagonal balls which were of no threat. He also had a few occasions where he stood off play and watched a threat happen much like last night. He’s been a poor RB since the days of LVG.

Sylar

Dont think hes good enough to even be back up anymore. These are the type of games you wanna bring him to do an affective job. But he didnt offer anything. He was missing a few times at RB and really every time he got the ball he just stopped and passed it back.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
I could have walked to my local pitch thrown a stone in to a crowd of people and found a better RB, he wasn’t good that season, he was doing the same things as he does now, scared to go beyond the half way line or playing like there was a bungee cord on him and instead of putting in crosses he’d lump in long diagonal balls which were of no threat. He also had a few occasions where he stood off play and watched a threat happen much like last night. He’s been a poor RB since the days of LVG.
He has been overrated on this board for years. Especially against top teams, he was our weak spot in our back four. So often out of position and just not good enough overall. Now that he has declined even more, we need to find a proper replacement

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
One injury like that at his age can really end a career early, and with a slow, painful ending where they come to realise once that bit of pace has been stripped away they can no longer play like they used to. Was similar for Neville. It's not like the ankle injury ended his career on the spot, he came back and just wasn't the same.

Valencia seems like a lovely guy but I really hope we're able to be ruthless on this one. If Young isn't available play Dalot, every time. If Valencia can't provide width on the right he shouldn't be in the team. People complained about his end product before but at least he stretched teams and provided options. His defending got better over the years but he still doesn't read the game well, so we can't be keeping him in on that basis either. I'd be tempted to start Darmian ahead of him...
I’m a big fan but have to agree he looks done. Did anyone else notice that he seems to have a bit of a gut? He was always in ridiculous shape but really seems to be going to seed now.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I’m a big fan but have to agree he looks done. Did anyone else notice that he seems to have a bit of a gut? He was always in ridiculous shape but really seems to be going to seed now.
Yeah, I noticed that... didn't look his strong normal self at all.

People thinking they could over power Valencia, and then just bouncing off him, used to always bring me great amusement.

reddaz71

Its Young and Dalot for the RB spot for the rest of the season, sadly Valencia offers nada anymore.

Red Royal

Its a shame to see his legs have clarly gone. Was a beast back ib the day but now he should really move himself on. Thanks for the service Antonio!

slir32

What a shame people will remember him as a poor player when in fact he has been fantastic player for us. He has been on a decline for a few years now and is pretty much at rock bottom now.

TsuWave

What a shame people will remember him as a poor player when in fact he has been fantastic player for us. He has been on a decline for a few years now and is pretty much at rock bottom now.
"fantastic"

tomaldinho1

Our most pressing transfer behind RW is RB now. Has been average for a while now.

Receives ball. Stops. Pivots around like a netball player. Passes backwards. Rinse and repeat.

According to Jose which was absolute rubbish, he wasn’t even the best RB in the league or even our club.
He's never been remotely a quality RB. He was a good stand in, that's it. He should never have been a first choice RB for Utd.

Agree, completly overrated. The Caf have an obsession with players who are "strong", or "beasts", as if that's the most important factor, whilst ignoring the most glaring decencies in players. Valencia can't/ won't cross, can't go past players, and has poor positioning. Valencia has impressive biceps, but has zero attacking intent, and hasn't for 5 years. Da Silva is twice the player Valencia was/ is. He's shocking now, but was never good enough in the first place.

laughtersassassin

Should never play again. Nothing against him but he was no longer good enough an entire season ago. We are awful for being sentimental with our players.

youngrell

He's never been remotely a quality RB. He was a good stand in, that's it. He should never have been a first choice RB for Utd.

Agree, completly overrated. The Caf have an obsession with players who are "strong", or "beasts", as if that's the most important factor, whilst ignoring the most glaring decencies in players. Valencia can't/ won't cross, can't go past players, and has poor positioning. Valencia has impressive biceps, but has zero attacking intent, and hasn't for 5 years. Da Silva is twice the player Valencia was/ is. He's shocking now, but was never good enough in the first place.
Complete revisionism and hyperbole from the pair of you. It was only two seasons ago he was being lauded as the best right back in the world. That was of course debatable but you'd swear we've had John from the pub playing right back for the last 5 years if you listen to you two.

Valencia has always had his limitations, even at his pomp as a winger, but up until this season he has always been reliable and solid. A better pro you'd be hard to find.

He looks completely done and should only be used sparingly from here on out this season, but the complete vitriol thrown towards someone who has served the club as he has is quite frankly disgusting.

stevoc

Valencia was phased out by Mourinho this season, with Shaw and Young being the preferred fullbacks, even Dalot was preferred to him. I'd hardly claim he was a favorite of his, at least not this season. Secondly, players like Rashford were also his favourites and he's been arguably our best player since Ole came in. It had nothing to do with Mourinho's favourites, it had to do with his inability to coach said players to get the best out of them. Or in the least, allow them to express themselves.
Don't think i'd agree with that, not with his regular snide remarks about playing him because thats fans think he should play. And then turning to the crowd and acting the dick when he missed a chance.

Janson

No I saw it. You must have missed where Valencia was the worst player on the pitch. When a player is consistently bad, as Valencia has been for several seasons now, his return from an extended period of time out of the time is bound to he scrutinized.

Erm, we haven't? Our attack has been blunt for a while. Stop working in extremes in an attempt to validate your point. Valencia's complete lack of thrust and attacking potency has been an issue for some time. That doesn't mean we have been unable to score. It's not a coincidence we look invariably more dangerous down the right when he isn't playing.
If you have, then why are you asking me if I think Mctominay should play? Where do you see me saying that Valencia should be playing or that he's good enough? It's frustrating when people keep asking why I think he should play, when that's not the argument I'm trying to make.

My point is that even if he was the worst player on the pitch, it doesn't mean he was the biggest reason why we were so bad going forward. That's not an excuse for the whole attack not functioning. Our attackers weren't good either.

I agree that the bolded part is probably why he was criticized much more last night than anyone else. That's obviously affecting peoples ability to be objective about a single performance.

JoaquinJoaquin

Hope to god Ole has seen enough from him. And to think there has been reports we are offering him another year deal. I really hope that is false.

Janson

Complete revisionism and hyperbole from the pair of you. It was only two seasons ago he was being lauded as the best right back in the world. That was of course debatable but you'd swear we've had John from the pub playing right back for the last 5 years if you listen to you two.

Valencia has always had his limitations, even at his pomp as a winger, but up until this season he has always been reliable and solid. A better pro you'd be hard to find.

He looks completely done and should only be used sparingly from here on out this season, but the complete vitriol thrown towards someone who has served the club as he has is quite frankly disgusting.
Completely agree.

Janson

I would definitely start Darmian over him.

Lauded by who as the best RB in the world?!

It's not revisionist in the slightest, as I have had the same view for many years, he's been sub standard for Utd. You can disagree (this is a discussion board after all), but I have never felt he has been anything other than a stop gap. He had completely blunted our right hand side for half a decade. He's a full back who cannot muster any sort of attack, he's always been poor - masked probably by the rest of the team performing badly.

youngrell

Lauded by who as the best RB in the world?!

It's not revisionist in the slightest, as I have had the same view for many years, he's been sub standard for Utd. You can disagree (this is a discussion board after all), but I have never felt he has been anything other than a stop gap. He had completely blunted our right hand side for half a decade. He's a full back who cannot muster any sort of attack, he's always been poor - masked probably by the rest of the team performing badly.
The manager, and many of our fans were happy to agree (as were the media).

You may not have been a fan throughout his time here, and that is your opinion, but there's no need to go over the top with criticism is all I am saying. It seems some people can only express an opinion through extreme hyperbole when a lot of the time there is no need.

Valencia has regressed terribly, which is plain to see for everyone, there's just no need to be disrespectful about it.

The manager, and many of our fans were happy to agree (as were the media).

You may not have been a fan throughout his time here, and that is your opinion, but there's no need to go over the top with criticism is all I am saying. It seems some people can only express an opinion through extreme hyperbole when a lot of the time there is no need.

Valencia has regressed terribly, which is plain to see for everyone, there's just no need to be disrespectful about it.
I agree about the extreme nature of opinions, and that they are often used unnecessary when far softer words can be used. However, I firmly believe he is a poor player, and has has only a period of 18 months of so in his entire career at Utd where he performed well (in sync with Rooney in about 2010/11).

The fact he has played so long since then is a symptom of rotating managers and a scattergun recruitment policy, where we have gone after names rather than addressing issues. He's always been a weak link as a full back. He would probably have been ok in the early 90's, but to have a full back who can't attack in this day and age is shocking to see at a club like Man Utd.

the chameleon

I always saw him as an in between player to hold the fort whilst we got a CR7 replacement (still waiting). A great professional with clear limitations. But he had pace, which has now gone. But was more of a squad player. Had a couple good season up to 2010/11. He proved he wasn’t a worthy right wing replacement when he could couldn’t handle the weight of the 7 shirt.

Louis Van Gaal came along and extended his time at the club by switching him to right back. He still had pace to run up and down. Be a workhorse. Another make do while we get a proper right back. But he was good enough for the system created by LVG. I think that system papered over the vulnerabilities of our back line. A solid right back for a season or two. Never world class.

But now, with his pace gone and his work rate diminished. Also, he never was a truly attacking winger, I mean his crossing was limited. I would now say his best strengths that made him a decent option are now dimished. Still he has a career somewhere, just not with us if we want to be an attacking force to be feared.

SSSSnake

Shame for him. Been such a great servant. I wouldn't judge him so harshly as he's had very limited playing time but for me the annoying thing is his distribution. He offers nothing forward and doesn't take any risks. Still he's worth keeping around for this busy period but surely after this season there is just no space for him. Dalot should nail that place down.

Jeffthered

Guy looked way off it... and visibly unfit and overweight. Final season as first team regular, unless he has a bit of a turnaround. Maybe he just needs a bootcamp of sorts.

Thing is, his experience is so useful in that side. But longer term, we have to move on. He can help Dalot settle in, and learn the United way.

youngrell

I agree about the extreme nature of opinions, and that they are often used unnecessary when far softer words can be used. However, I firmly believe he is a poor player, and has has only a period of 18 months of so in his entire career at Utd where he performed well (in sync with Rooney in about 2010/11).

The fact he has played so long since then is a symptom of rotating managers and a scattergun recruitment policy, where we have gone after names rather than addressing issues. He's always been a weak link as a full back. He would probably have been ok in the early 90's, but to have a full back who can't attack in this day and age is shocking to see at a club like Man Utd.
In his defence, he has had close to zero help on the right flank for quite a few seasons now. At one point, he was able to cover the whole flank by himself –still lacking quality in some areas of course – but he could get up to help the attack and get back quick enough to carry out his defensive duties. It's just got to the point where he cannot do that anymore, he's probably burnt out.

With regards to his overall ability, I think he's been underrated by a lot of people. His first touch/control is usually immaculate, his short range passing is as accurate as you could wish for and he rarely gives the ball away. He excels in personal duels most of the time and could always be counted on to give his all for the team.

He has offered so much selfless running over the years, stuff that gets missed by spectators maybe but appreciated by teammates.

He's run out of steam now and pretty much not much use to the team anymore save for a few games where we need to rest other players. I hope he can put in one or two performances before he leaves, I've always liked his attitude and it would be a shame if he limped out not trying.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
It shouldn't really be surprising though. He's been doing that for years, even his last few seasons as a winger.
This was slightly different. He was a pretty good RB for a bit and a very good RW before that. Yesterday for the first time I've felt he just didn't have the legs. One thing Valencia always had was pace and physicality.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
If you have, then why are you asking me if I think Mctominay should play? Where do you see me saying that Valencia should be playing or that he's good enough? It's frustrating when people keep asking why I think he should play, when that's not the argument I'm trying to make.

My point is that even if he was the worst player on the pitch, it doesn't mean he was the biggest reason why we were so bad going forward. That's not an excuse for the whole attack not functioning. Our attackers weren't good either.

I agree that the bolded part is probably why he was criticized much more last night than anyone else. That's obviously affecting peoples ability to be objective about a single performance.
You're completely missed the comparison. You're suggesting Valencia is being mistreated which simply isn't the case. He stands out as someone performing particularly bad, and one who has been doing it for some time. The narrative is consistent with Valencia; this isn't a case of scapegoating. Much like McTominay, when they aren't performing as they should, they affect the players around them too.

I think you're down playing just how important having an attacking full back is in this system. He is supposed to be the player providing width to the team, offering Mata an option on the over lap. Our attacks focus on the left side of the pitch, yes, but when it does get compressed we need an out ball. With no fullback threatening that side Newcastles left wingback can tuck in and the centrebacks can shuffle along, making it incredibly hard to play through the centre and the left. They know Mata isnt going to be a threat because he simply doesn't have the physical attributes to trouble them. Mata comes alive when he has movement around him to utilize his brilliant touch and intregate passing. Not only did Valencia fail to be an attacking outlet himself, he also nullified Mata. We ended up trying to play through a wall of players because we didn't have a second point of attack.

Do we still have systematic teething problems reverting from an old, impotent style of play? Absolutely, but that doesn't mean Valencia wasn't a key component in our problems then, as he is now. That's why he is getting the criticisms he is.

stevoc

This was slightly different. He was a pretty good RB for a bit and a very good RW before that. Yesterday for the first time I've felt he just didn't have the legs. One thing Valencia always had was pace and physicality.
Yeah i agree but i was replying to a post about his back and sidewards passing. He's been doing that for years pace and physicality regardless. Theres a reason his nickname is Turn Back Tony.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
It's a shame it had to end this way but it is often the case with the most loyal, reliable players. They never want to leave and the manager appreciates their service and experience, so mutual loyalty allows them to stay until the bitter end. Ultimately they just break down physically and mentally become a shell of themselves.

That's what makes someone like Giggs' retirement all the more remarkable. He was getting a lot more "FFS Giggsy" from the fans as time went on, but he still had the capacity for pure magic, right until the end. And even at the end he was still good enough to be an important player for Bournemouth or something.

Valencia looks like he's going through the same thing Lichsteiner is. Hanging on despite losing the one thing that made them comfortable at the top level - physique. Hope he doesn't hang on too long! That said, knowing where he came from, I wouldn't blame him for staying on past his sell by date and earning a bit more money for his family. I'd just rather he didn't do it in the starting XI...

Status
Not open for further replies.