Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
He was excellent 18 monts ago. Get a grip
Wasn't that about the time people suddenly got behind him on here because he was making surging runs, shortly before still hitting it into the shin of the defender?

Someone even pulled out a stat about him having best cross completion. I don't know if that was made up or they just don't count those that don't get past the first defender, but something wasn't right.

Wasn't that about the time people suddenly got behind him on here because he was making surging runs, shortly before still hitting it into the shin of the defender?

Someone even pulled out a stat about him having best cross completion. I don't know if that was made up or they just don't count those that don't get past the first defender, but something wasn't right.

Let’s be perfectly honest, he did ok when he was moved into RB, but only from the perspective of him being an auxiliary option/ short term/ squad option. He’s never been a good enough starter at RB, but we needed him as there were no other options (how I miss Rafael). Over the last 18 months he’s been even worse, and it’s exacerbated by the ridiculous decision to make him captain.

Valencia clearly divides opinion, but I’m flabbergasted he’s still a starter, let alone the captain. He’s had one excellent season for us, when in tandem with Rooney. That aside, he’s been a distinctly average player, first a failed winger and now a failed RB.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Let’s be perfectly honest, he did ok when he was moved into RB, but only from the perspective of him being an auxiliary option/ short term/ squad option. He’s never been a good enough starter at RB, but we needed him as there were no other options (how I miss Rafael). Over the last 18 months he’s been even worse, and it’s exacerbated by the ridiculous decision to make him captain.

Valencia clearly divides opinion, but I’m flabbergasted he’s still a starter, let alone the captain. He’s had one excellent season for us, when in tandem with Rooney. That aside, he’s been a distinctly average player, first a failed winger and now a failed RB.
Absolutely. As a winger he had one good season, like you say. He hasn't contributed enough the entire rest of the time.
He tricks some into thinking he's very good. I don't know if they don't watch as many games, because my Liverpool supporting mates recently said similar.

LuisNaniencia

Sky Sports called my bluff
Absolutely. As a winger he had one good season, like you say. He hasn't contributed enough the entire rest of the time.
He tricks some into thinking he's very good. I don't know if they don't watch as many games, because my Liverpool supporting mates recently said similar.
I guess he tricked the entire team in 2016-17 seeing as he won players player of the year.

Sigma

It's actually the opposite. People think he isn't as good because he used to play in a different position and so they want a 'normal' right back. He had a poor spell at the back end of last season as a right back, but lets see how he responds this season. Clearly he wasn't match fit for the Spurs game as he started well but faded.

Red_toad

I guess he tricked the entire team in 2016-17 seeing as he won players player of the year.
He's fooled many people within the sport, but feck em lets just take the word of random bitter Caf posters with their excellent appreciation of the game....

For me he's been a superb signing for United, a really solid player. Age and injury has caught up with him a little over the last 18 months, but it's to be expected. Real shame there are those trying to mar his time at United.

WoodysWallet

Agreed that age has caught up with him recently, but what a servant for the club.
Even after a horror injury, he came back just as good.

He does need to start taking a backseat now really, but let’s be honest he’s the best we’ve got at the moment.

el3mel

He was great in Mourinho's first season tbf. His legs are gone now though.

Beaucoup

Wish we had more players with the attitude of Valencia, however, I do think it's the perfect time to start introducing Dalot

Wish we had more players with the attitude of Valencia, however, I do think it's the perfect time to start introducing Dalot
I think Valencia is a good professional, but he’s not exactly a role model. He doesn’t work on his clear and obvious weaknesses, couldn’t deal with the pressure of a shirt number, and doesn’t even speak English after how many years in the UK? He’s meant to be our captain. There’s no need to go the other end of the spectrum and compare him to players who throw their toys out the pram, ala Martial, Pogba etc, but let’s remember that he turned up for preseason in a poor condition. Hardly leading by example.

I don’t see anything special in his attitude that most of our squad don’t have.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Yeah, we've not been very good for a while have we?

He's fooled many people within the sport, but feck em lets just take the word of random bitter Caf posters with their excellent appreciation of the game....

For me he's been a superb signing for United, a really solid player. Age and injury has caught up with him a little over the last 18 months, but it's to be expected. Real shame there are those trying to mar his time at United.
Couldn't be less bitter about him. Having an opinion doesn't mean 'bitter'.
He's been a solid servant of the club and I have a lot of respect for him and his attitude, although what @ClaytonBlackmoorLeftPeg says has some truth.
He just isn't as good as what we need there and never really quite has been. A very good filler option. I say filler because the contributions aren't enough to make any major difference to us, in defence and attack. Better than someone who is absolutely shite, of course, but I think we should be aiming a little higher.
A short supply of players who are good enough is fair enough reasoning for a while, but he's been playing there for ages.

PedroMendez

Acolyte
He does nothing going forward, but is usually solid at the back. Thats okay for a while or under different circumstances, but a problem, when we lack any attacking threat on his side.

jem

I mostly agree but he had two very good seasons: the first one with Rooney, and the third one when he scored that great goal (against Blackburn I think.) It was the season City pipped us to the title. He was also good after coming back from his injury in his second season. He fell off a cliff in his fourth season (when he was given the 7 jersey,) and I don't think he's been the same since.

Burnley 0:2 Man Utd

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Probably the most criticised member of our first XI on here, so fair play to him, skipper was excellent today.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Successful crosses! Its a miracle. :lol:

I've slated him but he stood up today. Can't ask for more.

el3mel

Best thing about him compared to clowns like Young and Darmian is that he gives stability defensively wise in RB position.

kiristao

I would like him to try and stop crosses coming in from his side. Shaw hardly allowed anything to come in from the left. Almost all their crosses came in from our right.

Bobski

People should realize that with Shaw given so much freedom to attack and creates overloads down the left Valencia will have a more conservative job to do mainly. He will still get forward but it makes sense to move away from him as the main outlet, has been run into the ground over the last few years, in his 30's now, will not have the stamina that he did 5 years ago.

Don't expect both full backs flying forward if Dalot comes into the team, one will be asked to sit a little more.

Eddy_JukeZ

He was instrumental in our dominance in the 1st half in terms of ball monopolization.

Rossa

His positioning was spot on today. He was good at intercepting the ball and offered a good, albeit conservative, option on the right. I think his hands behind his back when wingers are crossing is a little daft. It's one thing when inside your own box to avoid a penalty, but outside it makes no sense, and you lose so much mobility doing it. He's had a few very good crosses lately, and his short passing is, thankfully, very good again after some hoofball last season.

RussellWilson

2020 NFC Fantasy League winner
While I agree he's easily our most solid full back defensively, still feel we'd be so much better with more driving sprints forward like we're getting from Shaw. Especially when we had Fellaini and Matic playing as a double pivot pretty much. Whether they receive the ball or not from those sprints forward, it means the opposition fullback either gets pulled wide and deep or leaves the runner which opens up so much space.

Dalot does seem to have that burst sprint, would be interesting to see him and Shaw both bombing on with two holding to cover. Think we'd stretch teams much more.

Rossa

While I agree he's easily our most solid full back defensively, still feel we'd be so much better with more driving sprints forward like we're getting from Shaw. Especially when we had Fellaini and Matic playing as a double pivot pretty much. Whether they receive the ball or not from those sprints forward, it means the opposition fullback either gets pulled wide and deep or leaves the runner which opens up so much space.

Dalot does seem to have that burst sprint, would be interesting to see him and Shaw both bombing on with two holding to cover. Think we'd stretch teams much more.
I think Valencia is more than fast enough (don't think Shaw would outrun him), and in the past he has had no difficulty getting up and down the pitch. Him playing more conservativly yesterday was down to tactics, I believe, seeing as you would suffer if having both fullbacks flying into attack. Yesterday, that was even more important as Burnley tried to double up all day on Valencia's side, whereas that cnut Bardsley on the other side hardly ventured into attack all match.

Lj82

One thing I noticed about the Burnley game was that Valencia seems to be playing higher up the pitch. Pressing higher and also attacking higher. I think this could be a tactical switch. With two mfs playing deeper to protect the backline, he may have been asked to push up higher.

He did very well yesterday. Besides the two good crosses, he also linked up well with Pogba and Lingard when they drifted right.

Andersons Dietician

I think Valencia is more than fast enough (don't think Shaw would outrun him), and in the past he has had no difficulty getting up and down the pitch. Him playing more conservativly yesterday was down to tactics, I believe, seeing as you would suffer if having both fullbacks flying into attack. Yesterday, that was even more important as Burnley tried to double up all day on Valencia's side, whereas that cnut Bardsley on the other side hardly ventured into attack all match.
That would probably be a decent race, wouldn’t mind seeing it but my money would be on Shaw. I think you’re kind right on the conservative front although for me he has become quite conservative over the last 5 years. With Shaw rampaging on the other side it makes more sense knowing how Jose likes to play that Valencia who doesn’t offer as much as Shaw going forward sit back and defend. Thought it intresting that Pogba spent a good bit of his time out on the right as well although wouldn’t mind seeing a map of his average position.

I’m not sure Jose would really fancy that left side of ours consisting of the likes of Shaw, Pogba and Martial/Sanchez, Matic or Fellaini on that side probably feels more secure allowing Shaw and whomever the forward is a little more freedom. Let Valencia secure the right side to allow Pogba a bit more freedom and the forward on that side.

el3mel

Doesn't even bother running anymore when we're on offense. He's better than Young and Darmian defensively wise at least but the sooner we replace him, the better.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Never has a player that gets so much space produce so little. Cannot hit a first time cross to save his life. Gets the ball, waits for defence to reorganise then either crosses it or passes it back.
Been a great servant but he needs moving on.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Mourinho confirming the rumours that have been going around for last couple of years.
His knee is fecked. Surgery probably ends his career at the top level.
First heard it was his ankle.

Mourinho confirming the rumours that have been going around for last couple of years.
This should surprise no one - he's been on his last legs for a few seasons now

Irwin99

He's been a great servant to us the past 8 or 9 years, despite the fact that he divides some fans. There were two years i'd say when he and Young both suffered a massive dip in form (Fergie's final season and Moyes first year) but he's been a solid right back since then.

Johan07

Thats one of the worst misrepresentations of what Mourinho said on a pressconference ever. Even on the Caf.
Really?
The pitch in Bern is 100 percent plastic. It takes a much worse toll on players than grass. Its common to rest older players/players with small injury problems/players with a lot of playing time on similar pitches.
Zlatan will not play any games on plastic before the playoffs in the MLS for example.
Again, really? You dislike Valencia that much?

EasyE

Don't know if some of our coaches had a word with him in the break but looked completely different in second half. Very energetic and running at defenders. Deserved the goal and hopefully he builds up on this.
Eh?

el3mel

TBF to me they have a similar first name. :D :D :D :D Now forget about it already, eh ? :D :D :D

Idxomer

Looked slower than I've ever seen him, I think he's finished at this level.

Status
Not open for further replies.