Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoof the ball

This picture is the definite summary of Antonio's attacking instinct. Prior to Matic sending the ball back to CB, Valencia is slightly into the other half. As soon as Lindelof receives it, Valencia shifts back into his own half. Look at all the space down the right! He could push Dummett back, but the opposite happens, Dummett presses and Valencia passes back again.

But also, look how much we overload the left. Because we rely on the left so much, it's even more imperative that Valencia gets high and wide on the right, or else, we end up playing football in the congested left again.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
This picture is the definite summary of Antonio's attacking instinct. Prior to Matic sending the ball back to CB, Valencia is slightly into the other half. As soon as Lindelof receives it, Valencia shifts back into his own half. Look at all the space down the right! He could push Dummett back, but the opposite happens, Dummett presses and Valencia passes back again.

But also, look how much we overload the left. Because we rely on the left so much, it's even more imperative that Valencia gets high and wide on the right, or else, we end up playing football in the congested left again.
If you look at where Shaw is by comparison too. It's such a contrast between when he plays and when Young plays, who often ends up being our furthest forward.

ottosec

Perhaps the lad didn't understand Ole's instructions. He's only been in the UK for about 15 years, you can't expect him to pick up English so fast...

royboy16

The moon gave me flowers for funerals to come.
One injury like that at his age can really end a career early, and with a slow, painful ending where they come to realise once that bit of pace has been stripped away they can no longer play like they used to. Was similar for Neville. It's not like the ankle injury ended his career on the spot, he came back and just wasn't the same.

Valencia seems like a lovely guy but I really hope we're able to be ruthless on this one. If Young isn't available play Dalot, every time. If Valencia can't provide width on the right he shouldn't be in the team. People complained about his end product before but at least he stretched teams and provided options. His defending got better over the years but he still doesn't read the game well, so we can't be keeping him in on that basis either. I'd be tempted to start Darmian ahead of him...
Yes and Yes.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
I think he's done. He hasn't been effective for a long time. We look a new side right now and Valencia looked like the only one in the squad who didn't get the memo.

He's negative, offers nothing going forward and halts our new fast-paced attacks. We play predominantly on the left and our RB vitally needs to offer that out-ball in an advanced right back position. Young for all his faults had been doing that along with Dalot, but Valencia seems to just refuse to. I think it really stunted Pogba's performance against Newcastle too as it made the game more compact and removed a few options for him.

Think he's gotta go. Been a good player for us and a great professional, he'll always go down as a bargain, time to go.

Skills

Snitch

It seems like he just doesn't have the legs anymore to cover that much ground. It's why his first instinct is to just keep position, because he's wary of not being able to catch up anymore if we get caught on the break.

Canagel

That positioning is exactly where Mourinho would want him to be.

Verminator

It's just time.
He's done great things here, and deserves our respect and gratitude, but without his previous athleticism, there is no place for him in today's premier league.
He became our whole right flank to accommodate playing Mata and Lingard more centrally. And while his offensive contributions faded drastically, it benefited the team to have him there. (Under pragmatic managers)
A change in the way the league and our team plays, coupled with his physical decline, has made the drop off even more stark and jarring.
It doesn't mean there is a need to piss all over his history with us.

AR87

It seems like he just doesn't have the legs anymore to cover that much ground. It's why his first instinct is to just keep position, because he's wary of not being able to catch up anymore if we get caught on the break.
There was another instance yesterday where Newcastle played the ball wide to Atsu, I believe and Valencia was in perfect position to intercept the pass or challenge Atsu receiving it comfortably, but instead just stood rooted to his spot to cut off the angle he had once he received it. Even just last year I think Valencia would have intercepted it, but he's had a few bad challenged this year because he seems a half step slow in those moments so it seems like he may be holding back.

Either way it's time to go for Valencia.

youngrell

It's just time.
He's done great things here, and deserves our respect and gratitude, but without his previous athleticism, there is no place for him in today's premier league.
He became our whole right flank to accommodate playing Mata and Lingard more centrally. And while his offensive contributions faded drastically, it benefited the team to have him there. (Under pragmatic managers)
A change in the way the league and our team plays, coupled with his physical decline, has made the drop off even more stark and jarring.
Well said.

Smores

That positioning is exactly where Mourinho would want him to be.
It really isn't, that's just creating excuses for Valencia for the sake of it.

He did well to convert to right back in the first place it's no surprise that now his legs are gone that he's looking petrified.

Just play Dalot and have Young fill in at LB and RB as needed.

djembatheking

It's just time.
Agree , hopefully Ole has been watching this last year or so too and has seen how negative he is . He`s been a great servant so deserves respect , just hope Ole deals with it as the more he plays the more people will turn on Valencia as his shitness now is maddening .

thepolice123

I could have walked to my local pitch thrown a stone in to a crowd of people and found a better RB, he wasn’t good that season, he was doing the same things as he does now, scared to go beyond the half way line or playing like there was a bungee cord on him and instead of putting in crosses he’d lump in long diagonal balls which were of no threat. He also had a few occasions where he stood off play and watched a threat happen much like last night. He’s been a poor RB since the days of LVG.
https://www.redcafe.net/threads/an-ode-to-antonio-valencia.425684/

This thread was made around the same time Jose made the comments. I don't think its really a stretch to say he was one of the best RB in the league or even in the world at some point in his career. I agree he's finished at this level but we should not forget the contributions he made for the club. This man is a dedicated professional and gave us everything.

Monster tackle on Firmino.

Last edited:

This thread was made around the same time Jose made the comments. I don't think its really a stretch to say he was one of the best RB in the league and even in the world at some point in his career. I agreed he's finished at this level but we should not forget the contributions he made for the club. This man is a dedicated professional and gave us
There's plenty of dissentions in that thread, it's not unusual for the Caf to completly overreact (both positive and negative). Let's remember Jose thought McTomney was our player of the year - use his comments with caution, he spoke plenty of bollocks on his time here.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt

Disgraceful.

reddevil702

Maybe he's not match fit but we won't know as he refused to run even in the first half. Everyone knows what he's going to do once he receives the ball, defenders don't even pressure him since he just stands there looking for a mid to pass it off too and if that fails he passes back to the CB. His time in the PL is up.

Sigma

There's plenty of dissentions in that thread, it's not unusual for the Caf to completly overreact (both positive and negative). Let's remember Jose thought McTomney was our player of the year - use his comments with caution, he spoke plenty of bollocks on his time here.
Yes, your and @Andersons Dietician posts in this thread have been good evidence of that.

thepolice123

Did you even read the thread? Where were the dissentions? The people who posted seem to be happy with his performances. You might not agree with Jose's comments but Valencia was a quality Rightback for us.

red4ever 79

Not sure why the CAF has gone all sentimental these days. When a player has lost his edge, lost his ability you move them on and move them on quickly. This is not only one match, every game he has played this season he has been the worst player on the pitch. Every pass goes sideways or backwards. He has been a good servant to the club and has been well paid for it. Thank you Antonio and good luck at your next club.

Did you even read the thread? Where were the dissentions? The people who posted seem to be happy with his performances. You might not agree with Jose's comments but Valencia was a quality Rightback for us.
We can quote anything to make a point. I'm sure we call all start searching the forums to support our opinion.

Going to sound like a hater but...

I cant believe he has not learned to cross consistently in nearly 8 years with us.
He isn't, and he isn't anywhere close to being, and I'm not the only one who thinks that.

http://metro.co.uk/2016/10/11/arsen...acks-in-the-premier-league-right-now-6185607/

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/row-zed/ander-herrera-claims-antonio-valencia-8677464

http://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/news/newsid=2436675.html

Of course his manager and team mates are going to big him up, it's not the first time a manager or player has come out with a ludicrous statement regarding a player:

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/spor...tle-united-captain-fabricio-coloccini-8105629

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/n/newcastle_united/1991068.stm

We could go on, but we won't.
Just because you disagree, doesn't make you or I, right or wrong. What I can tell you, is that my opinion hasn't changed for many years.

Mrdan1709

We have got to be the most weirdly run top club in all of football. We constantly keep players way past their expiry date, The likes of valencia, young, feillani, jones, darmian all should have been out of the club and replaced a long time ago. Why is it that other top teams immediately get rid of their deadwood but we seem to keep them here and let them steal a living. Honestly its shocking that after mourinhos second season we didnt invest in fullbacks, we got dalot but we cannot expect an 18 year old to be top class right away

Andersons Dietician

This thread was made around the same time Jose made the comments. I don't think its really a stretch to say he was one of the best RB in the league or even in the world at some point in his career. I agree he's finished at this level but we should not forget the contributions he made for the club. This man is a dedicated professional and gave us everything.

Monster tackle on Firmino.
I mean there is 54 replies to that and if others are like me they would have seen that title and just given it a wide birth because it would only go one way.

I’ve always said this about Valencia but what he was good at was being consistently average game after game. He just never had the defensive or attacking quality to really ever be considered the best in the world or even league. Ballerina, Walker, Coleman, Aspa on their day were miles above Valencia, it wouldn’t even be close, Herrera provided more stability and threat in his one game as a RB than Valencia had in years. Even Bailly had a stint at RB and showed he was a far superior option.

Dedicated professional yes, gave us his all, yes doesn’t excuse the fact that he has been painfully average in that position for 5 years and in my opinion has held us back vastly in terms of our play.

That’s a great tackle it’s just a shame he does a Phil Jones and can clearly see Firmino standing there and all our other defenders and let’s him steel a march. Great recovery tackle though.

Irwin99

Would like to see his running stats in the few games he's played this season. There have been rumours that he's had a dodgy knee for a few years and I just get the feeling he's struggling with some injury. Alternatively it could just be that he's lost a lot of pace and doesn't feel confident both attacking and defending.

He's still been a very good servant to the club.

Water Melon

If he does not improve his performances he is likely to be thanked and moved elsewhere.

snk123

He was the best right back in the world a couple of years ago and it was everywhere, not just said by Mourinho. Pretty sure there was a thread here as well. If you don't like Valencia, alright but there is no need to take the piss because he's out of form.

Andersons Dietician

One example:
That’s not an over reaction and obviously hyperbole but yeah so “best RB in the league/world” is still ok? Right?

He’s as I’ve said been poor for about 5 years and vastly overrated on here and in my opinion been a massive part in the United problems the last few years.

fallengt

Can't remember he had any MotM under LvG and Jose to justify that "best RB in the world" non sense. Defensively he was solid but on the ball he was one dimension as always

Jose liked him because Valencia was like another defender in his system

Last edited:

Andersons Dietician

:lol: This place is laughably bad sometimes. The hate some have for a player who has been professional and excellent for us for 10 years is amazing.
Question why do you think that is? I don’t agree with you that he has been excellent or anywhere near the worlds best RB but I’ve explained why I think that and it’s not just because of his performance yesterday but over the last 5 years. People don’t just jump to conclusions, actually this is the CAF so apparently they do.

What he has been good at is in a 1 on 1 race he was terrific at dealing with people and good at using his body to defend those types of scenario. He has been an excellent servant for the club and nothing but a consummate proffesional but those things are different from his ability on the pitch. I don’t even hate Valencia but since you’ve provided no evidence or said anything other than repeat what you’ve read elsewhere you’ve clearly decided that the only reason a person could be saying such things is due to hatred which isn’t the case. It’s just observing Valencia and trying to give my honest balanced opinion.

SAFMUTD

According to UtdArena twitter account Valencia has been challenged for the ball 29 times in 8 games in the EPL and UCL combined.

-16 fouls
-11 successful tackles
-2 times dribbled past

I can see why he doesn’t get higher on the pitch, he just does not has it in him anymore. He is a liability defensively, and is toothless in attack. Great servant and stuff but he should not play one more minute for us. Maybe in the final game of the season just to say goodbye but thats it.

We should not waste anymore minutes with him. Better gime time to Dalot so he can develop.

haram

Fans shouldn’t be too harsh on him. He is finished physically and that’s not really his fault.

Revaulx

Fans shouldn’t be too harsh on him. He is finished physically and that’s not really his fault.
Don’t think most people are being harsh; just pointing out that he’s done.

Whenever a player is out of form, in decline or just has a bad game, their thread gets hijacked by one or two “always said he was shit” types. Best to ignore them.

AriKra

Yesterday watched some footage of him from last LVG Season … he now is way beyond his peak and far to often injured. Best would be to part ways in the summer

Status
Not open for further replies.