Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/an-ode-to-antonio-valencia.425684/

This thread was made around the same time Jose made the comments. I don't think its really a stretch to say he was one of the best RB in the league or even in the world at some point in his career. I agree he's finished at this level but we should not forget the contributions he made for the club. This man is a dedicated professional and gave us everything.

Monster tackle on Firmino.
It was a great tackle made possible because he was caught out of position. He has always had poor positioning at full back which is hardly surprising as he was a winger, but in the past his recovery pace masked it. Now it doesn't, he often gets caught out and our centre backs have to split. It's a fairly similar story with Young.

Foxbatt

He used to be so quick too and so strong. I think he has lost his pace and his legs. That is probably why he does not want to move upfield and get caught as he would not be able to come back to defend. It is not only yesterday but any time he has played with Mata. Maybe he knows that the two opposing players are going to double up on him as there will be no cover from Mata. These things cannot be taken in isolation. Yes he is past it and we need a new RB but so far Dalot has been founded out when defending. I feel up to now Dalot has been the poorest of the right backs so far.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Looks like there's a decent chance he leaves this month or definitely in the summer.

Acole9

Outstanding
I think we should keep him until the end of the season, could leave us a bit short at right back otherwise.

Bola

Apparently missing from the squad for the Spurs trip tomorrow, while Dalot and Young travel.

No mention of a injury from what I have read, which suggests he may have fallen right down the pecking order. That performance again at Newcastle may have signalled his end at the club, except in emergency situations. Personally I'd let him go on a free now and recall TFM if we need RB cover

Djemba-Djemba

https://www.manchestereveningnews.c...-news/man-utd-transfer-news-valencia-15669078

Looks like Valencia is finally getting the message.

As long at Utd don’t extend his contract, I couldn’t care less when he goes - either now or in the summer. We don’t need him at all, better off playing youngsters if we have an injury crises.
Article also suggests we won't be renewing Jones contract either.

We might finally start to clear out the players who have shown time and again they aren't good enough.

Handré1990

Great servant to the club, but should’ve been gone yesterday. His performance v Newcastle reminded me of that game G.Neville asked to be subbed at HT, and seemed to call it quits then and there.

Irwin99

Kind of hope it’s true although I do value the service he’s given us. We should be looking forward.

staniswin

He used to be so quick too and so strong. I think he has lost his pace and his legs. That is probably why he does not want to move upfield and get caught as he would not be able to come back to defend. It is not only yesterday but any time he has played with Mata. Maybe he knows that the two opposing players are going to double up on him as there will be no cover from Mata. These things cannot be taken in isolation. Yes he is past it and we need a new RB but so far Dalot has been founded out when defending. I feel up to now Dalot has been the poorest of the right backs so far.
He looks a stone weight heavier nowadays, seems like age is finally catch him up, looks slower and weaker than he ever was. Inter would be dumb to get him.

RedDevil@84

Countdown to a new deal for Valencia starts today. Guess it should be done in 2-3 weeks.
A 2 + 1 contract is likely.

RedDevil@84

Jones is actually playing though, and quite frankly not a joke of a player.

Jones still has value, either for us, or if we well him. Valencia has no value.
By the way Ole talked about Valencia in the presser, it seems he would have been travelling with the squad if he didn't suffer a setback while coming back to fitness. So just looks like its a matter of getting fit. And then he will be right back in our team B, if not team A, just like Jones.

el3mel

Can see us offering him a contract but I think he'll be the one wanting out considering he's not playing much anymore.

AndyJ1985

We just need to get this beast tied down on a new contract, then the dream of starting the 2019/20 season with Young Jones Smalling Valencia is well and truly alive.

Frank Grimes

Always a big defender of Valencia on this site. It's a pity that for some explicable reason he forgot to cross overnight and he never could remember again because he would have been brilliant other than that. Completely dominating his wing but then smashing the ball into defenders shins, constantly, became tedious though. All in all a good servant for the club and our best South American signing ever I would say.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Really like the guy, put in some brilliant performances over the years. Time to go now but I hope he gets a good testimonial.

RedTiger

Half mast
Looks like he's joining Rooney at DC United. He just retweeted this tweet:

Excellent move for him. I think he'll do really well at DC United, he'll have a larger ex pat Ecuadorian community to help with bedding in and the travel back to Quito should be easier from there than Europe.

All the best to Antonio and thanks for his contribution to our club even though it was lopsided to the right.

Frank Grimes

I remember people used to absolutely slaughter this guy but he had more commitment and heart than 90 per cent of our players who started today.

Also would love to compare our win percentage with him in the side and out of it in the last 3 years. Guarantee you there is a big difference.

I'm not saying he was brilliant and hadn't his faults but he never gave less than his best.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Turn back Tony - fearless in attack, that's one of the most absurd things I've heard in a long time. For 5/6 years he's been completely fearful when it comes to attacking.
When he was "in attack" he was playing as a winger and got a shitload of assists. As for fearless, I'd like to see you getting stuck into full-blooded tackles after seeing your foot pointing backwards from a fairly minor challenge.

When he was "in attack" he was playing as a winger and got a shitload of assists. As for fearless, I'd like to see you getting stuck into full-blooded tackles after seeing your foot pointing backwards from a fairly minor challenge.
I broke my ankle, fibia and tibia skiing - foot pointing 90 degrees from where it should have been. As soon as I could, I was back on the slopes. Should have stuck to snowboarding! I've also been to numerous sandy places most people would not want to venture too.

Valencia is physically fine, and one of his better seasons came after the injury. Full backs are meant to actually attack!

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
I broke my ankle, fibia and tibia skiing - foot pointing 90 degrees from where it should have been. As soon as I could, I was back on the slopes. Should have stuck to snowboarding! I've also been to numerous sandy places most people would not want to venture too.

Valencia is physically fine, and one of his better seasons came after the injury. Full backs are meant to actually attack!
Hehe poor Pogue

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

Not sure about that. I dislocated my AC joint falling off a snowboard last month and it still hurts like hell putting my shirt on every morning!

It's a fair comment about him ending up horribly conservative as a fullback. I just can't help defending him when people seem to forget his contribution when Rooney scored his most ever goals in a season.

Not sure about that. I dislocated my AC joint falling off a snowboard last month and it still hurts like hell putting my shirt on every morning!

It's a fair comment about him ending up horribly conservative as a fullback. I just can't help defending him when people seem to forget his contribution when Rooney scored his most ever goals in a season.
I am a good snowboarder, but only ever spent a couple of weeks skiing. Both are can be dangerous, but I'm far less likely to get injured snowboarding.

That was a great season from Valencia. But looking over his career, it's not the norm unfortunately.

steakpie

Would anyone else like to see him start or be involved on Sunday to get a farewell reception?

I know he hasn't really featured this season but he's been a brilliant professional for the club. He had alot of powerful performances especially under SAF.

Status
Not open for further replies.