Antonio Valencia retires

snk123

One of my favourite players and technically very underrated. His first touch and passing was top notch - always kept the ball and made the right decision. A great runner with the ball when he converted into a RB.

Got alot of undeserved abuse at the end but so did every player when we had a bad few years

stevoc

The thing that I never understood about Valencia was how he constantly avoided using his left foot. But then once in a while he would let one go with his left and he actually had a very good left foot. Never understood why he went out of his way to not use it most of the time. Mind you, I used to love Valencia. He was a classic winger who has one move. Kick it wide and out run his defender. LB's knew what he was going to do but they couldn't stop him. He was just too quick. I just wish he would have converted to RB earlier in his career. Nani wasn't good on the left but played there because of Valencia. I always thought Valencia at RB and Nani at RW would have been a dream partnership...
Would have liked to have seen that.

Mainoldo

My bredda Tony V (For some reason I believe I made up this nickname :lol: ).

All the best with his retirement. Unplayable for 2 seasons.

pablo__p

I'm too old but If I had known that there was a United level player that uses his right for and right for only... that would have alleviated a lot of my insecurities as an aspiring football player when I was a kid/teen.

hmchan

Liked him so much back in the days. Formed a great partnership with Rafael on the right and I'll never forget his POTY season.

rron10

Supports
Sir Alex
He was such a reliable player, maybe he deserved a better generation next to him. A team player and a professional.

GueRed

Always appreciated him when he was with us.

A very good player whether right-wing or right-back. Good team player, good lad and a top top professional.

Hughes35

Great player, great pro and seemed a good guy. Always found him underrated.

Hope he enjoys his retirement.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
Bloody good player, top professional, and a really nice bloke. Enjoy retirement Tony, you've earned it.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
great player, gave his all for the club and ran himself into the ground.

A scorer of not many goals, but some absolute peaches! who remembers this one?

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Why retire already? When he could just wait to see if Inter need to sell Hakimi, and then win Serie A next season?

Tony Babangida

Massive fan of Tony V - was our entire right hand side for years. Hope he enjoys his retirement, even though he's younger than me and I wont be able to retire until I'm nearly dead.

Maticmaker

Good servant for the Club, you could tell he was always proud to wear the shirt, nice bloke too!
That serious injury did take 'the edge off' (as someone else said). I use to scream at him to use his left foot and/or go for the old outside run, but increasingly after the injury he would play square or back. Still he was always 100 % committed.
Best of luck Tony in your retirement.

Matt007a

By no means our most technically gifted player but for a few seasons he was a very good winger. He suited our style of play under SAF in the way he would repeatedly run at the full back and cross the ball. He was so fast and strong it was pretty impossible to stop over 90 minutes. Always worked hard for the team as well.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Absolute beast, was hard to stop and tough as old boots.

I think the secret footballer hearalded Toni as the toughest player he had played against.

Loved him as a player.

Ricky Spanish

I remember watching him sprint up the line from a near-front-row seat at OT. The power he exuded was incredible. I saw an interview with an opposing player (can't remember who) saying experiencing a block tackle from him was like getting hit by a truck.

Enjoy your retirement big guy.

MU655

I always liked Valencia. May not be the strongest technically, but he made sure he was peak in every other way.

Ridiculously fast and strong, don't remember him ever getting outmuscled. Very hard to dispossess. Powerful shot, though he rarely used it.

He is a player who I'd have in any squad.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
Yes he faded late in his career.

He got too much hate on here. He hit alot of shins but consider one thing - he was the entire right side by himself!

A machine.