Antonio Valencia... | Will wear #25 shirt from this point onwards by request

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
I'd prefer him to cut into the box more. He seems to have one goal in mind when running down the right... send in a cross. He often rushes his crosses which is probably why they're crap at times. He'll also attempt to cross when the defender has him marked very well, which is a terrible decision. There are times he has acres of space or has beaten his man and could run into the box but he'll force a cross instead.

Alex

Nani is the best crosser when he can be asked to do such a thing

NextSeason

From the banks of the Irwell, to Sicily..
The thing is, he can cross it very well.He was just average at it today
100% disagree. I've been watching him very closely this season and he has hardly put in any decent crosses, let alone good ones. Because he always checks in and out so much he can't get generate much backlift because he has no momentum and has to resort to toe punting it in or just swinging his foot at hit to generate as much power as possible.

He’s been one of our best players recently.
Disagree - he has much scored a few goals. He is very unproductive if you watch him closely.

He's the best crosser at the club by far.
I hope that is a joke. Giggs, Rooney, Nani, Evra, Neville, Hargreaves, Carrick, Gibson and all much better crossers of the ball.

I think Giggs is better, even Nani on his day is quite good (on both feet asweel)
Agreed.

Nani is the best crosser when he can be asked to do such a thing
Agreed.

:lol::lol: Nani a better crosser than Valencia:houllier:
Jokes on you mate.

OneUnited24

Nani can deliver a great cross and is a different player when played on right as well.
Thats something i've wanted to see for a while now, it seems when hes on the right he looks quite deadly but it seems hes shoved to the left because there arent many better who can play that role (when Giggs isnt playing), we tried with Anderson eariler this season, Obertans still learning the trade and Valencia would get exposed on the left. For Portugal Nani plays on the right and he looks much better (or he did in the last 2 games i saw of them)

Richter

Hairy big footed Swede
Nani is a better crosser when he can be bothered, Valencia really needs to put some more power in his crosses. They either fail to beat the the first man or they just kinda linger in the air and are then easily cleared by a cb...

Ekeke

The thing is, he can cross it very well.He was just average at it today
No he cant. He can send decent crosses an inch behind people but in general he has some wonky crossing. When teams defend properly his crossing isnt much of a weapon. He's much better leading a counter attack and making a pass to set up a goal than he is on the flank, beating a fullback and putting quality into the box.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
No he cant. He can send decent crosses an inch behind people but in general he has some wonky crossing. When teams defend properly his crossing isnt much of a weapon. He's much better leading a counter attack and making a pass to set up a goal than he is on the flank, beating a fullback and putting quality into the box.
Oh yeah he can, he was doing it with ease at Wigan and has done it several times at United

IhabX7

So a player has a bad day with crosses and now he becomes a bad crosser? feckin hell.

NextSeason

From the banks of the Irwell, to Sicily..
So a player has a bad day with crosses and now he becomes a bad crosser? feckin hell.
Not at all. I've come to this assumption after watching him in around 6 months. Can you name a good cross he's put into the box that has lead to a goal for us?

I have nothing against the guy, I'm a United supporter that wants him to well. But the fact is, he is shite at crossing, and needs to work on it.

He could become an excellent player for us and I really hope he does.

Ekeke

Bad season with crosses. Although we're only half way, he could get Beckham's right boot for christmas... He'd probably just put it on ebay though.

mungy

I am a terrible poster, please ignore me
Good point.

His best asset is beating the player....but he can still cross the ball (though he does need to work on this aspect of his game)

Ekeke

Oh yeah he can, he was doing it with ease at Wigan and has done it several times at United
Since its only several, could you please list them? I mean they should stand out from all the poor ones he's put in... Shouldnt be too hard a task.

kouroux

I don't feel the need nor the energy to list which cross was good and which wasn't, it's all subjective and could end up being a very useless discussion.The problem is that one has to provide proofs nowadays for everything you say, it's a bit funny I must say

OneUnited24

I don't feel the need nor the energy to list which cross was good and which wasn't, it's all subjective and could end up being a very useless discussion.The problem is that one has to provide proofs nowadays for everything you say, it's a bit funny I must say
Well yeah otherwise i can sit here and say Foster is our best keeper, his record of keeping clean sheets would suggest otherwise. I like Valencia but to be honest i cannot remember a cross he did which resulted in a goal...

kouroux

Well yeah otherwise i can sit here and say Foster is our best keeper, his record of keeping clean sheets would suggest otherwise. I like Valencia but to be honest i cannot remember a cross he did which resulted in a goal...
yeah well you must know what I mean otherwise I'd be worried for you :D

Its also quite funny to see how quickly opinions change on here.

One moment a player is an essential asset, the next minute they are the scapegoat. That's the Caf in a nutshell.

Valencia's crossing was awful against Fulham but he has been playing very well in the past few weeks. This performance cannot be excused but we should try to be a little understanding. Hope he gets back up to the standards he has set because the right wing needs his speed and ability to deliver an accurate cross.

Ekeke

Thought he wasnt that bad today but would have liked to have seen him get more involved. So his performance today and over the past few weeks have absolutely no bearing on what I think of his crossing. If you can be bothered to go through my posts on Valencia you'd see that I didnt rate it when he was at Wigan and havent been impressed with it during his time with us either. He has other qualities and when we play a front 3 I think it can hide his deficiency with crossing balls as we're more likely to attack on counter attacks where the final ball can be a pass instead of a cross into a crowded box. But good crossing? I'm yet to see it from Valencia.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Think he's a better crosser than any of our other wingers, better crosser than any of Chelsea's wingers, better crosser than any of Arsenal's wingers, and better crosser than any of Liverpool's wingers.

There aren't a lot of wingers that are particularly productive with their crossing these days, especially in this league.

Joe Cole, Arshavin, Nasri, Walcott, Malouda, Benayoun - all good wingers but not great crossers.

Don't think he's a particularly productive crosser but then I don't think many are, so a bit of context helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.