Antonio Valencia... | Will wear #25 shirt from this point onwards by request

Status
Not open for further replies.

kps88

We've looked most of the whole season, and today, we finally found our man. Well done Liam Ridgewell for giving Tony his confidence back.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
What had prevented him from doing what he did today in many previous matches ? His confidence will hopefully be back next season because he can be devastating even if his game is generally predictable.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
The difference today was he didn't hesitate, and his crosses were not lofted but drilled hard and low. 3 goals created by those low hard crosses, should to that much more often IMO.

The floated ones to the back post just do not suit out attack.

Keenst

He was really good today, much more direct and actually looked faster somehow. Encouraging to see that he is still capable of such performances and gives hope for next season that he can get back to his best.

Ekeke

I really felt the pain in his crosses today. He'd clearly got frustrated with himself and decided that if he cant pick someone out, he best just blast it into a dangerous area and it worked out multiple times today

SER19

ya that was a positive today, he played really well. why the feck he couldnt do it all season is a mystery, considering how he finished last season a triple award winner. i cant figure it out,it was one of the most unexpected drops in form ive seen in a united player and basically lasted a full season

Platato

Psst!
ya that was a positive today, he played really well. why the feck he couldnt do it all season is a mystery, considering how he finished last season a triple award winner. i cant figure it out,it was one of the most unexpected drops in form ive seen in a united player and basically lasted a full season
Pressure?

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
It's amazing really. His assist for the own goal was something he had done time and time again last season, a quick little move down the line then smashing it in, low and hard. feck knows why he couldn't do that the entire season, because it's not necessarily a difficult thing to do, he's just better at it then most people.

binary bot
Today he was being allowed more space whereas all season he wasn't really getting any and having to dig out crosses which consequently were much worse. When he's getting the space to cross on the edge of the area then he'll deliver great crosses for fun. The space we got at times down the wings was incredible - Buttner made about a 40 yard run to take the most obvious assist from Cleverley.

There was one instance today though where he actually accelerated away from the left back instead of shying away and passing it back which he's been doing for the majority of the season.

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
He was just completely different yesterday. So much less anxious in his play.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Garrincha Mk. II

His floated crossing doesn't have the finesse of Beckham's or Figo's; or even Nani's. So, he copied Garrincha's low and hard cross, and that should be his niche. Both style is as effective as each other.

Ekeke

So basically, we have to play him right back to get "space" so that he smash the ball low and hard into dangerous areas instead of trying normal crosses and overhitting them?

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
So basically, we have to play him right back to get "space" so that he smash the ball low and hard into dangerous areas instead of trying normal crosses and overhitting them?
If Rafael isn't so good, I wouldn't mind Valencia as permanent RB. I forgot the last game he was as RB, but he put in a really decent performance.

And that low and hard crosses work well at United, because most of the time when we attack, we have many bodies in the box, and also our attacking unit is getting shorter and shorter (Kagawa, Nani, Cleverley, Young). If Fellaini is joining us though, that will be a different story.

Jaap

Just scored for Ecuador against Germany on the stroke of half-time. Half-time result 4-1 for Germany (Podolski & Bender twice).

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
The mental pressures of playing for Ecuador and playing for Manchester United are not exactly the same... would explain why he scores some really good goals for his home nation yet can barely cross a ball for ourselves these days.

Rowem

gently, down the stream
I'd be intrigued to watch Valencia play in midfield. How can a CM operate when they absolutely refuse to use their left foot?!

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
I'd be intrigued to watch Valencia play in midfield. How can a CM operate when they absolutely refuse to use their left foot?!
You operate on a pivot until you're facing the right way to use your right foot. Or do what Robben does and use the outside of your left foot as a substitute.

Rossa

The mental pressures of playing for Ecuador and playing for Manchester United are not exactly the same... would explain why he scores some really good goals for his home nation yet can barely cross a ball for ourselves these days.
Does it also explain why he still can run as a mother***** for his national team yet look like Stewart Downing for United?

"I'm the fastest sprinter on the pitch - oh no, wait, I'm playing for United now, so obviously I'm nervous - must slow down(ing)"

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Does it also explain why he still can run as a mother***** for his national team yet look like Stewart Downing for United?

"I'm the fastest sprinter on the pitch - oh no, wait, I'm playing for United now, so obviously I'm nervous - must slow down(ing)"
:lol: out of ideas for that one

Rossa

Hes played there for Ecuador a few times. I remember him playing against Brazil and doing v well.

Fergie said he could play there as well a few years ago. Strange I know....
I remember that too, but I do recall it being more as an AM than a proper CM. As an AM he would probably do quite OK due to his pace, strength and decent short passing. He also has a fairly decent shot when he is in the mood (with the right foot, mind you).

I don't want to sell him as I think a proper pre-season can do wonders for him. He still has the pace (several clips prove that) and he is as strong as ever. He looks a bit hesitant to take on his man and then stops full-stop, which makes it difficult to speed past your opponent - Lennon is probably the only one really capable of that, but he reaches top speed after two inches.

Decotron

I remember that too, but I do recall it being more as an AM than a proper CM. As an AM he would probably do quite OK due to his pace, strength and decent short passing. He also has a fairly decent shot when he is in the mood (with the right foot, mind you).

I don't want to sell him as I think a proper pre-season can do wonders for him. He still has the pace (several clips prove that) and he is as strong as ever. He looks a bit hesitant to take on his man and then stops full-stop, which makes it difficult to speed past your opponent - Lennon is probably the only one really capable of that, but he reaches top speed after two inches.
Did they win or draw the match? cant recall the result....

Anyone wanting to sell him is mental imo.

Brightonian

The funny thing about Valencia is that his limitations as a footballer have much more to do with his one-footedness than what he can actually do with that foot. If his left boot could do the things his right boot could do, he'd be an absolutely incredible, versatile footballer.

With his right foot, he's got a superb cross, as we know. He's also a very accurate short and long passer along the ground. He can pass beautifully with the outside of his boot. He's got flicks and tricks in his locker. That flick pass with the outside of his foot over his full-back to an overlapping Rafael, which he seems to do at least once in every game, is completely impossible to defend, and shows a real deftness of touch. He's got a very good first touch. He can volley a cross, which not many wingers in the world can do accurately. And although we rarely see it because he plays so wide, he has a very consistent piledriver shot on him.

It's such a shame that he's so one-footed. He'd actually be a completely different sort of player, otherwise.

EDIT: This is all based on him in form, obviously, not the shambles we got for most of this season.

Rossa

The funny thing about Valencia is that his limitations as a footballer have much more to do with his one-footedness than what he can actually do with that foot. If his left boot could do the things his right boot could do, he'd be an absolutely incredible, versatile footballer.

With his right foot, he's got a superb cross, as we know. He's also a very accurate short and long passer along the ground. He can pass beautifully with the outside of his boot. He's got flicks and tricks in his locker. That flick pass with the outside of his foot over his full-back to an overlapping Rafael, which he seems to do at least once in every game, is completely impossible to defend, and shows a real deftness of touch. He's got a very good first touch. He can volley a cross, which not many wingers in the world can do accurately. And although we rarely see it because he plays so wide, he has a very consistent piledriver shot on him.

It's such a shame that he's so one-footed. He'd actually be a completely different sort of player, otherwise.

EDIT: This is all based on him in form, obviously, not the shambles we got for most of this season.
That's a very good post, sir!

The only thing I would add is that he isn't the most agile player either. The best attacking players tend to be more agile than what you see in Valencia; think of Giggs, Ronaldo (not as much), Nani, Messi (!), even RVP and they have a great ability to sneak through the opposition defences - Valencia just runs through them.

It reminds me of a comparison of the Willy's Jeep and the Hummer - with the Willy's Jeep you drove between the trees; with the Hummer you drove through the trees.

Status
Not open for further replies.