Antonio Valencia... | Will wear #25 shirt from this point onwards by request

Status
Not open for further replies.

RyanGoggs

Insists on dating women in public places - for the
All you guys slating Valencia can feck off. I think we can all agree to that Ferguson knows football better than any of us, now tell me why Valencia is in the side ahead of Nani, over and over again? That's right, Valencia is better, get on with it.
Valencia is not better. He is better in a certain role!

Fletcher's Jilted Lover

He's the man!
No, Valencia has been well below par this season yet Nani who wasn't playing well got singled out for it. Look at his thread compared to this one. Each and every single thing Nani does comes under scrutiny now, where as Valencia can do no wrong, when in fact he hasn't been doing much right on the pitch.
Nani has played like shit this season and appears like he doesn't want to be here. You can never question Valencias attitude even when hes off form, and hes provided another assist.

Jacob

'Pulling off a bit of magic' :lol: That phrase is so abused it's unreal.

When was the last time Nani produced this 'magic'? I'd take Valencia's simple assists over the 'magic' Nani supposedly produces. FFS.

Orton

Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button
Better at what? he doesn't score as much, doesn't create as many chances, he is extremely one footed. People seem to think Valencia is consistent always because he puts in a shift, the amount of times he wastes good chances yet he gets so much more leeway than other players.

Jacob

Better at what? he doesn't score as much, doesn't create as many chances, he is extremely one footed. People seem to think Valencia is consistent always because he puts in a shift, the amount of times he wastes good chances yet he gets so much more leeway than other players.
Better at being a winger, a teamplayer. I couldn't care less about Valencia not scoring, I'd rather he assist others than score himself. An assist or a goal is of equal weight when we talk about what a player brings to the team.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
No, Valencia has been well below par this season yet Nani who wasn't playing well got singled out for it. Look at his thread compared to this one. Each and every single thing Nani does comes under scrutiny now, where as Valencia can do no wrong, when in fact he hasn't been doing much right on the pitch.
Well, yes, when one player says "I don't need an agent, I'm here for life" while the other haggles over contracts - despite being in the exact same position in terms of game-time - then one player will be given a bit more leeway. Likewise when one player slacks off defensively every now and then because of a simple lack of concentration (as happened v Spurs (?) ) while the other works his bollocks off every game then again, one player will be scrutinised less than the other.

I agree with Nilsson though...we've just won at SB for the first time in 11 years and people are bickering about Nani and Valencia, two players that most teams would give anything to have in their squad. Why do people have to have an agenda about either player?

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Well, yes, when one player says "I don't need an agent, I'm here for life" while the other haggles over contracts - despite being in the exact same position in terms of game-time - then one player will be given a bit more leeway. Likewise when one player slacks off defensively every now and then because of a simple lack of concentration (as happened v Spurs (?) ) while the other works his bollocks off every game then again, one player will be scrutinised less than the other.

I agree with Nilsson though...we've just won at SB for the first time in 11 years and people are bickering about Nani and Valencia, two players that most teams would give anything to have in their squad. Why do people have to have an agenda about either player?
Yup, brilliant post.

Some people are strange on this site.

Rossa

Better at being a winger, a teamplayer. I couldn't care less about Valencia not scoring, I'd rather he assist others than score himself. An assist or a goal is of equal weight when we talk about what a player brings to the team.
Better winger? Nani has a better scoring and assist record than Valencia over the last couple of seasons - so I'm not with you there.

Better team player, yeah, maybe - but you were also arguing winger, and a winger's task is mainly to attack. Tracking back is an added bonus - look at Mata today for our first goal - abysmal.

You also talk about assists - but again, Nani assists more over a couple of seasons, so imo, you are too one sided here.

I'm always right

Ah yeah, rather than arguing back in order to generate discussion, let's just carp down on others in lack of anything better to say.
It was a strange post.

Fergie has changed his team a lot, he's favoured many players over other players at different points.

So all Fergie's team selection tells you is that today, he thinks Valencia better for the team. Just as next week he may decide that Welbeck is better for the team than Valencia.

Jacob

It was a strange post.

Fergie has changed his team a lot, he's favoured many players over other players at different points.

So all Fergie's team selection tells you is that today, he thinks Valencia better for the team. Just as next week he may decide that Welbeck is better for the team than Valencia.
Yes, agreed, but on average Valencia is picked ahead of Nani which tells it's own story. Bottom line, given the choice I think Fergie would rather have Valencia at the club.

Rossa

Yes, agreed, but on average Valencia is picked ahead of Nani which tells it's own story. Bottom line, given the choice I think Fergie would rather have Valencia at the club.
Do you agree then that Welbeck and Hernandez were better calls than Berbatov last year? Making them better players...

I'm always right

Yes, agreed, but on average Valencia is picked ahead of Nani which tells it's own story.
Is that the case really? I don't think so, not over their entire period at the club together.

Bottom line, given the choice I think Fergie would rather have Valencia at the club.
You may be right, I have no idea so wouldn't try to guess.

My only point in this thread anyway is that our wingers are off-form, but they are a cracking bunch of wingers so I hope they find it soon and I'm sure they will. Valencia certainly will. Nani, well it may well depend on getting his contract situation resolved.

Cina

You'd be the first one to defend Nani if he had a poor game but pulled off an assist.
That's not true at all, I've criticised Nani for his performances plenty of times, primarily because I like him so much it frustrates me when he plays poor.

I've been critical of him this season loads.

This thread had nothing to do with Nani originally, it was the people who were actually defending Valencia's performance who brought Nani into it.

Your tagline, what the feck? :lol:

Platato

Psst!

Yup, brilliant post.

Some people are strange on this site.

Mmmhmmm. So obvious yet so difficult for some to digest. Why? It's fair to say Valencia is off-form you know but on a day like this, I could care less.

Tibs

Nani creates more, scores more, and does his fair share of defensive work.

He also gets the most scrutiny of all the players too.

friendlytramp

More full of crap than a curry house toilet
If Valencia demanded the kind of wages Nani (reportedly)is then I expect he'd be on his way out too.

wr8_utd

:'(
He really needs to improve his decision making. There were a couple of occasions at 2-0 when he was in great positions and just slowed down and wasted the move. Even at 2-2.

RedThaiDevils#7

Married with Manchester United, In love with Giggs
His cross to RVP was sensational, but at times i felt the usual Valencia would attack and pop in the cross a bit quicker. I think trying to evolve his left foot has made his overall game slow down... He used to not think much, go out of the right and just pop the crosses in, but now I feel that he has lost maybe a yard of pace and hasn't been popping those crosses in at a regular basis.

Still, he's getting lots of assists and I think he'll just get better and better. We're spoilt with wingers really, Liverpool/Arsenal/Chelsea would cream themselves for a Valencia type player.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I just wish he could learn a bit of a trick or something to help him get passed his man.

Using that drop of the right shoulder and belt down the line is all well and good, but it hardly works all the time. Sometimes when he gets to the byline and just stands there waiting for something to happen is a bit odd, i would love if he could learn a step over or something, can we not hybrid nani and valencia?

Plechazunga

Grammar partisan who sleeps with a real life Ryan
Where Albert Stubbins scored a diving header
He's not back to his incisive best yet but feck me is he a handful. I'd hate to be a left-back against us, with Rafael overlapping Tony it's kind of like The Evil Dead, when the house is just so utterly haunted you never know which bit of it's going to attack you or from where.

jem

'Pulling off a bit of magic' :lol: That phrase is so abused it's unreal.

When was the last time Nani produced this 'magic'? I'd take Valencia's simple assists over the 'magic' Nani supposedly produces. FFS.
Last week, a beautiful little flick to RVP, which the Dutchman blazed over with his right foot. FFS

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
Tony was poor today but he gave them plenty to think about. I wouldn't have any concerns about his form.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Tony was much better today than a few weeks ago.

And by December everyone here will be calling him the best winger in the world (again).

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Did anyone ever call him the best winger in the World? Wtf.

I agree that he'll find form sooner than later, for certain.
Well yes I think so. Either that or I've gone mad.

I certainly can't think of a better winger than him atm when he is on form. Mostly because wingers have become inside forwards of course, but still.

Jacob

Do you agree then that Welbeck and Hernandez were better calls than Berbatov last year? Making them better players...
That is a different case, you can't compare young players that needs to be nurtured with mature players. Both Valencia and Nani are supposed to be in their primes, making it an apt comparison.

Jacob

Nani creates more, scores more, and does his fair share of defensive work.

He also gets the most scrutiny of all the players too.
Refer to:

Where Nani averages an assist every 2.9 games, Valencia is a much more efficient provider at an assist every 1.9 games.

Valencia's selfless play has seen him make more passes than Nani per game, and even at a better success rate, 86 percent pass completion to Nani's 80 percent.

In terms of ball retention, Valencia comes out on top as well. On average, Nani gets dispossessed 2.4 times per game, whereas Valencia gets dispossessed a mere 0.9 times a game.

Furthermore, during the 2011/2012 season were both players played almost equal amount of minutes (2100ish):

Valencia put in 68 tackles, whereas Nani had 38, to a 6% better tackle success ratio despite having put in a staggering 80% excess amount of tackles.

Add to that, the minutes in between Valencia's tackles (30) was half of Nani's (56) while completing more interceptions, clearly indicating a higher work rate, or at least a more efficient one.

Valencia also made 12% more passes to a 10% better completion rate, potentially suggesting he contributes more or better to play than Nani. In addition, cross completion was marginally better with 3%.

Lastly, as for shots, Nani made a lot more attempts. However, he only hit the target 39% of the times, whereas Valencia hit it 47% of the times. Add to that, Valencia's chance conversion was significantly better at 24% to Nani's 16%.

Now tell me, how was Nani better again? The case for consistency versus unpredictability is obsolete these days, that moment of magic Nani supposedly produces doesn't come around nowhere near enough to justify the preference for his 'guile' over Valencia's evident efficiency. Manchester United is a collection of team players, facts speaks for themselves, Valencia is the better team player.

Cina

Jacob, Orton posted a stat a few pages ago in this thread or another that shows Nani has higher stats/assists than both Valencia and Young since 2010.

Everyone posts stuff to prove their own point I guess.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
What's good is that despite him being off form for a few games now, he still had basically 2 assists today as well as one against Newcastle the other week.

I'm always right

What's good is that despite him being off form for a few games now, he still had basically 2 assists today as well as one against Newcastle the other week.
Indeed. Very encouraging.

Although I'm not sure where you're getting 2 assists from today? One assist was Rooney, the next Valencia, the 3rd Rafael??

Jacobs stats look like complete nonsense to me too by the way, what is that based on?

Platato

Psst!
Jacob's posts are getting quite close to some of the logic I saw in the newbs. farcical

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Peculiar player when he is a bit out of nick.

Looks like he has no idea how to play football occasionally.

Status
Not open for further replies.