Antonio Valencia's Farewell Message...

Hoboman

Mr Solid. Good servant, honest, hardworking player who had only one undeniably great season in his career at the club.

Patrick08

Things started to turn off for the worse when he replaced Ronaldo at the club, though bar the last year, he was a top professional and worked his Butt off to be a united player and proved himself to be very very useful.

Ducklegs

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
People seem to forget he was truly outstanding for us for a couple of seasons under Fergie, and when he was shifted to a RB position he was the best right back for a while. Yes he could not cross, but he was a a real beast for us down that right. Don't let his last few seasons impair your judgements of him. He was a very good player for us. Best of luck to him.
He wasnt though.

At his absolute best he played as well as Nani when he was stuck out on the left wing.

He certainly delivered around the same number of assists as out of position Nani at that time as well, who also played less games.

And that season where he supposedly set up “tons and tons” of headers for Rooney, there was something like 5 direct assists to Rooney across the entire season.

Nani managed like 4, in less games.

I must admit its been a while since ive had to look into the figures, but I do remember during Valencias best season, he managed Nani figures, who played out of position and less games.

He has always been at his absolute best completely bang average.

Grande

He wasnt though.

At his absolute best he played as well as Nani when he was stuck out on the left wing.

He certainly delivered around the same number of assists as out of position Nani at that time as well, who also played less games.

And that season where he supposedly set up “tons and tons” of headers for Rooney, there was something like 5 direct assists to Rooney across the entire season.

I must admit its been a while since ive had to look into the figures, but I do remember during Valencias best season, he managed Nani figures, who played out of position and less games.

By average, do you mean PL average? Like ‘the 10th best RW in the PL’?

And is there a difference between average and bang average?

I disagree with that he was average as a LW at his best. I think he was one of the three-four best options on the wing in a couple of seasons. He was very important in transition from defence to attack, moving the ball with speed, passing surprisingly well for a one-legged and seldom losing it in that phase of play. He also made us more solid at the back.

Nani at his best was much better, but Nani at his just-below-personal-average wasn’t as good as the best Valencia, IMO.

Replacing Ronaldo with Valencia wasn’t a good move, though.

Acole9

Outstanding
I'm a bit surprised he's gone back home, I would've thought he'd do a couple of seasons at a mid table Premier League side, somewhere else in Europe like Serie A or the MLS. All the best to him though, he's been a good servant to the club.

Ducklegs

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
By average, do you mean PL average? Like ‘the 10th best RW in the PL’?

And is there a difference between average and bang average?

I disagree with that he was average as a LW at his best. I think he was one of the three-four best options on the wing in a couple of seasons. He was very important in transition from defence to attack, moving the ball with speed, passing surprisingly well for a one-legged and seldom losing it in that phase of play. He also made us more solid at the back.

Nani at his best was much better, but Nani at his just-below-personal-average wasn’t as good as the best Valencia, IMO.

Replacing Ronaldo with Valencia wasn’t a good move, though.

Well I mean, here is Nanis stats:

https://www.premierleague.com/players/3447/player/stats

And here are Valencias:

https://www.premierleague.com/players/3285/player/stats

Nani, literally twice as productive as Valencia, as in returned virtually the same goals and assists, in half the appearances.

Theres a reason we are in the doldrums right now and have been dogshit for 6 years and counting, and its because we have shipped out every element of flair and dynamism and carried on with solid workman like cloggers like Young and Valencia.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
He wasnt though.

Just utter balls. Utter balls.

He had a couple of fantastic seasons and some very solid ones and was way better than you suggest.

You're letting his last couple of dire ones affect your view. People do it with Rooney too.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
Just utter balls. Utter balls.

He had a couple of fantastic seasons and some very solid ones and was way better than you suggest.

You're letting his last couple of dire ones affect your view. People do it with Rooney too.
He was decent/good for 2-3 seasons but then he got the #7 jersey and turned to absolute shiit

Red_toad

And Fergie said Phil Jones could be one of the best players we ever had.
Big difference from could be to is. Sir Alex wasn’t to know he’d be permanently crocked. Pep was analysing performances, not potential.

Bobski

Just as side point. Tony was another of our players who bulked up with muscle with a negative result on his game. If you look at his first season with Utd, or last at Wigan he was notably leaner, while still being a unit. Allowed him to be much more flexible and agile in his dribbling.

Add in guys like Depay, Lukaku, even as far back as Beckham adding a load of vanity muscle and losing some of his mobility and you would think the club would be more careful. Someone like Gareth Bale should be a cautionary tale, adding a ton of unnecessary mass, put too much stress on his body, became injury prone and lost his great weapon, that powerful running.

Grande

Well I mean, here is Nanis stats:

https://www.premierleague.com/players/3447/player/stats

And here are Valencias:

https://www.premierleague.com/players/3285/player/stats

Nani, literally twice as productive as Valencia, as in returned virtually the same goals and assists, in half the appearances.

Theres a reason we are in the doldrums right now and have been dogshit for 6 years and counting, and its because we have shipped out every element of flair and dynamism and carried on with solid workman like cloggers like Young and Valencia.
You didn’t answer my question, so I’m still not sure what you mean by bang and average.

I’m old enough to have seen Valencia’s best seasons and Nani’s best seasons, so I’m not so confined to just statistics, and I’m not sure you provide carreer statistics to prove Nani was best to one who thinks Nani had by far the best carreer as a winger at United.

I loved Nani, ups and downs and all, and at his best, I think he was one of the 2-3 best PL players one year.

But I saw Valencia at his best for United, and he was very good then, and clearly better than Nani when he was below par.

This is Valencia’s farewell thread, so that’s probably more relevant here than Nani’s carreer stats for United.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Just as side point. Tony was another of our players who bulked up with muscle with a negative result on his game. If you look at his first season with Utd, or last at Wigan he was notably leaner, while still being a unit. Allowed him to be much more flexible and agile in his dribbling.

Add in guys like Depay, Lukaku, even as far back as Beckham adding a load of vanity muscle and losing some of his mobility and you would think the club would be more careful. Someone like Gareth Bale should be a cautionary tale, adding a ton of unnecessary mass, put too much stress on his body, became injury prone and lost his great weapon, that powerful running.
I agree completely.
Our sports department needs to be seriously looked at. I'd put them all on probation for allowing some of our players to get so badly out of shape. Rooney also go out of shape. Lukaku is the latest and it could see him being pushed out of the door. At this time, Lukaku looks like he's run a marathon, after playing a match for 20 minutes.

Hampshire Rec

Fantastic servant and at times unplayable, had to reinvent himself after his leg break but still did it.

Proper sad to see him go

Nucks

RT History Department
Never
what the hell are some of you on about? World Class, best winger in the world?
:lol::houllier:
World class doesn't mean best in the world. Pep thought he was world class at one point. I'll take Peps opinion over some random dudes opinion on the internet. Carry on.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts

Offsideagain

This guy did give his all even when he was playing out of position and was, at times, struggling to cope with playing right back.