5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stacks

To be fair this is what people said about Dalot and now he has had a run of games and acclimatised to the league he is looking far better than before (even if I'm not 100% sold).
He always had pace, a bit of trickery and could hit a cross. Still don't think he's all that and should be no.2 option as RB
I know it's a different level of defending and all, but haven't seen Antony try most of this except the cut in and shoot

Hoping it will come with time and confidence, and adjustment to the league (eg second season and maybe a full preseason)
It is clear and there is also XG evidence that he is doing less and not trying what he did in the Eredivisie. Same happened to Memphis

RuudTom83

Interesting to watch that Ajax youtube vid...its actually not that far off what he is actually doing at United tbh.

Very one footed, tends to slows the ball down on the counter, stands the full back up and waits for overlapping run, scores a few goals with his left.

Makes me rethink the problem might be how the team is using him more so than Antony not playing to his standards.

Stacks

Interesting to watch that Ajax youtube vid...its actually not that far off what he is actually doing at United tbh.

Very one footed, tends to slows the ball down on the counter, stands the full back up and waits for overlapping run, scores a few goals with his left.

Makes me rethink the problem might be how the team is using him more so than Antony not playing to his standards.
its already been shown based on his XG that he is down on everything so he's most certainly not playing to his standards. that's just demonstrably false. He is doing less than what he did

RuudTom83

its already been shown based on his XG that he is down on everything so he's most certainly not playing to his standards. that's just demonstrably false. He is doing less than what he did
Could you argue that is due to the standard of the league being higher in England compared to Holland?

Real Name

Not saying its appropriate for Antony but sometimes the evidence is all there to make quick conclusions and this is something the 'give him time' people never factor. I've seen pleas for Elanga and Mctominay to be given time but all the time does is lead to extra disappointment.

Labelling Antony a flop would be wrong, I do agree with that however saying he's looking like a potential flop is not. There are some warning signs with Antony flashing extremely bright at the moment but he seems like a hardworker and a fighter so there is still hope he could turn it around.
When Evra and Vidić came it took time to find their feet. I bet there were posters back then who made quick conclusions about them being a flop. Not saying he'll be like them but you know what I mean. I wouldn't call him a potential flop, just a player who's trying to get the grips with the way the team is playing and with the league

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre

Exactly what he's doing now in United. Scoring some goals and I'm fully okay with that.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Dortmund were pretty crappy that season in Europe, I remember.
Rangers took them apart in the EL.

Mr PG

Antony is. A bigger talent than Rashford and Sancho 1.0 (dunno about 2.0) till we see him.

Glorio

Wherever he's keeping whatever potential he has, I hope he unlocks some of that tomorrow!

skc_18

I know it's a different level of defending and all, but haven't seen Antony try most of this except the cut in and shoot

Hoping it will come with time and confidence, and adjustment to the league (eg second season and maybe a full preseason)
There is not much dribbling in this video (may be couple or so ?) and most of the other playmaking is something we saw at Utd.
He slows down a lot when he gets the ball and always need a player next to him for any forward move. Unless he tries to run with the ball I don’t see a future at Utd in longer run. He will get games just because we don’t have options on the right.

skc_18

When Evra and Vidić came it took time to find their feet. I bet there were posters back then who made quick conclusions about them being a flop. Not saying he'll be like them but you know what I mean. I wouldn't call him a potential flop, just a player who's trying to get the grips with the way the team is playing and with the league
With Evra and Vidic , it was more to do with initial fear/confidence . I don’t see that Antony. But hoping he will turn around.

mu4c_20le

To be fair, the most he's ever scored is 8 goals in 24 for Ajax. Right now he has 3 in 10 in the PL, so it's around the same. Obviously the most glaring thing is his lack of assists and xA, chances created, etc. But he hasn't had much time to gel with the team so its understandable that they aren't on the same wavelength.

Rossa

Thinking about it, the comparison with Nani isn’t completely rubbish. Nani also had a tendency to stop running, but instead of playing it safe though he would try and dribble. When it came off it was great. However, both weren’t direct enough, and whenever you invite the defender back in, he’s on equal footing.

When Nani realised he was faster than 90% of defenders, including the time he destroyed Clichy for speed, he became twice the player. He would attack the space, could still dribble in tight spaces and always kept defenders busy.

Antony also needs to realize he needs to keep the intensity and not stop running. He may not be as quick as Nani was, but he’s quick enough. Don’t invite them back in.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
ESPN article, quotes a Utd source saying the price they paid for antony is for the player he could become not the player he currently is.

Also the list of left footed wingers last summer was quite short. I wonder if mudryk was on it?

https://www.espn.com.au/football/ma...ny-a-100m-mistake-or-the-future-of-man-united
One player I’ve always liked and thought we should have gone in for a few seasons ago is Berardi from sassuolo, would have been a great squad player and he’s a left footed RW.

Ludens the Red

We’ve been conned by Ajax.

Playing against a left back who’s barely in his position and took no advantage of that. Didn’t beat Zinchenko once.
Looks like a five a side footballer. Can feint like nothing but No pace, no bravery to take players on, shoved off the ball too easily.

Ten Haag has got his signings right for the most part but this was one looks bad.

Jev

He can't dribble with the ball at pace. He just can't control the ball and his balance when running with the ball. Happened more than once today.

slored1

A clown. Needs to watch videos of Saka in a locked room and learn how to manipulate defenders if you don't know how to use two feet.

spiriticon

Did you all see Partey burn past him in the first half despite him have a 10 foot headstart?

Left-footed fecking Sancho

King Eric 7

He tried tonight but just doesn't have the ability, which is very concerning considering the amount we paid for him.

lex talionis

Quite poor today. Concern we may have been conned is warranted, but final judgment must be held at bay for now.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I remember a concern a few posters had how in his youtube videos, he rarely tries to beat his man. Well, looks like they had a right to be concerned. Bang average

Erics_Collar

We've been sold an absolute dud, again.

With Sancho, you can somewhat see that he has the talent but the confidence just isn't there and it's questionable if he'll get back to his best.

But Antony, I'm struggling to see any redeeming factor here. He tracks back well at times and.....that's it?

I genuinely can't believe we've spent 80 or whatever million on him.

jem

He tried tonight but just doesn't have the ability, which is very concerning considering the amount we paid for him.
Yeah that's what concerns me - it'd be one thing if he were some mercurial talent who just isn't putting in the required effort, but it appears to be the opposite.

Status
Not open for further replies.