5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

redcucumber

I’m not a hater at all, but he’s absolutely a one trick pony currently. Infact he’s a one legged pony.

He cannot use his right foot for love nor money. Plenty of times last night he went down the outside and was in a great place to rap his right around it and ping in a cross, but he always has to cut inside and shoot on his left or stop and pass backwards. He even tried once to flick a cross with the outside of the left foot and ruined a promising move. It can be infuriating.

He’s like Zoolander. When he masters ‘Magnum’ and learns to turn left he’ll be killer!:lol:
Having a left but no right doesn't make him a one trick pony. If all he literally did was score by cutting inside and banging it, I'd agree. But we've seen him do more than just that. I think we'll see a much more consistently threatening Antony and right side next season.

FerociousCorgis

the one thing i do enjoy is that he stays out wide right. Helps with the overall spacing of the attack. No longer is that wide right just a black hole with nobody in it. I remember the days where literally we had nobody there and teams could just ignore that area.

SATA

I still think we are a better team when he plays. We do not have anything on the right wing when he’s not in the team. Also if he produces a worldie in every four or five games, i can live with it if he keeps trying those top curlers which don’t hit the back of the net

Olecurls99

What I don't understand is this: When he switched to the left he put some beautiful and dangerous crosses in the box. But when he plays on the right and he cuts inside (still on his left) his crosses are always terribly shit, either aiming for no one or hitting the first defender. How is it possible?

Some it's the difference between inswinging and outswinging, but his inswinging shots from the right are always very well placed. I don't get t. It must be a mental thing.
It's an easier cross to make.

The ball is getting away from the keeper as it comes in.

The timing and connection with the striker has to be perfect for an inswinging cross or else it goes wide or into the keeper.

A little dinked pass over the defenders would cause lots more trouble then his current crosses from the right.

wangyu

I think I can come to the conclusion now that I don’t like inverted wingers. They only are effective when you have full backs who can take on opponents and play as classic wingers. I think both Dalot and Shaw cut inside too much as well.

He had a good second half though. I was wondering if Greenwood returns (a big question mark) would I prefer Greenwood or Antony on the right? Greenwood scores more goals

432JuanMata

I think I can come to the conclusion now that I don’t like inverted wingers. They only are effective when you have full backs who can take on opponents and play as classic wingers. I think both Dalot and Shaw cut inside too much as well.

He had a good second half though. I was wondering if Greenwood returns (a big question mark) would I prefer Greenwood or Antony on the right? Greenwood scores more goals
Nothing wrong with inverted wingers at all if they can go on the outside every now and then. Mahrez for city loves to cut in but also can go outside which then gives the defender questions.

Antony needs to go down the wing the odd time even if he then messes up the cross just to give the defender food for thought as this will also make his cut inside more effective due to it not being so obvious

Longlivekeano

Given his wicked shooting and selfishness, ETH might even shift him more centrally as a no 10 where he can have more influence and attempts at striking at goal. He also seems to have the guile for short, quick passes and holds the ball wall. A left footed Bruno maybe in the longer run ….

432JuanMata

Given his wicked shooting and selfishness, ETH might even shift him more centrally as a no 10 where he can have more influence and attempts at striking at goal. He also seems to have the guile for short, quick passes and holds the ball wall. A left footed Bruno maybe in the longer run ….
I feel his shooting when he gets the space after cutting in is justified but the other night when through 1 on 1 he could of squared it for 3 teammates for a tap in. He needs to realise when to be selfish and not to be.

Sure it was a bit problem with Rashford over the last few seasons and he’s improved on it

hmchan

He likes to dwell on the ball and showboat at the byline, so at least he can get a throw in if he gets himself into trouble. Playing him in the central area is the last thing you want because there is no time and space for him - like how we conceded our 4th against Liverpool.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Can anyone in the squad put pressure on his position in the first team at all
This season rather unlikely. ETH doesn't seem to fancy Sancho. Pellistri is still raw.
Maybe Amad next season, although he also plays differently and doesn't keep the width so really not sure. It was in the end what Ten Hag wanted, otherwise we wouldn't spend 80m on this guy.

united for life

I still think we are a better team when he plays. We do not have anything on the right wing when he’s not in the team. Also if he produces a worldie in every four or five games, i can live with it if he keeps trying those top curlers which don’t hit the back of the net
i would enjoy these worldies every 4-5 games for sure but would also expect him to work on other aspects of his game as well. No doubt he is a good player and at this age still has potential to improve. You don’t want him to become predictable. Maybe learn a thing or 2 from marcus about taking on players would help up his game

BorisManUtd

He's still young and will get better with time but think Antony has some limitations that will remain.

Matt851

It's an easier cross to make.

The ball is getting away from the keeper as it comes in.

The timing and connection with the striker has to be perfect for an inswinging cross or else it goes wide or into the keeper.

A little dinked pass over the defenders would cause lots more trouble then his current crosses from the right.
I think it was also just one good cross he put in that people have turned into 'he can cross from the left'

Stacks

4G+1A in 15 cup games is pretty good. He's been very poor in the league, but maybe he can improve there as well somehow.

Such a weird thing he always goes for a shot, he must be quite frustrating for his teammates. It must be some kind of confidence thing? Either that or he has zero awareness.
Thats 1 goal contribution every 3 games. If we take a winger who plays 30 EPL matches, that equates to 5 goals 5 assists as an an example output

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Thats 1 goal contribution every 3 games. If we take a winger who plays 30 EPL matches, that equates to 5 goals 5 assists as an an example output
That's pretty good output for a midfielder / winger hybrid. He isn't getting close to that in the league, but I think he will do better once we dominate games more. Antony clearly isn't made for counter attacking and quick transition football.

hmchan

This analogy is extremely poor, unless we play Reading and Charlton in EPL.

TsuWave

I mean, come on..... :lol:
it was an incredible passage of play as well. one of the best orchestrated moves we've put together in a while. every time i watch it I still can't believe he didn't square it, would have been a beautiful team goal:

champagne football

croadyman

it was an incredible passage of play as well. one of the best orchestrated moves we've put together in a while. every time i watch it I still can't believe he didn't square it, would have been a beautiful team goal:

champagne football
Yeah definitely one of the best bits of play

croadyman

i would enjoy these worldies every 4-5 games for sure but would also expect him to work on other aspects of his game as well. No doubt he is a good player and at this age still has potential to improve. You don’t want him to become predictable. Maybe learn a thing or 2 from marcus about taking on players would help up his game
Yeah Erik needs to keep pushing him to improve thar right foot and also take on a man occasionally too

Jev

Thought he was pretty good today actually, and I'm certainly not a fan of his.

Betson

He actually went past a player at one stage today , a rare collectors item. He got a free out of it but never tried again.

Bobski

Lidl Robben is not enough, needs to add much more to his game.

When a winger gets a one v one it should mean threat not the attack ending.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Ok, just as much attacking and defending contribution as Sancho.

Quite a pickle if he should be subbed when we were down one man. On one hand he runs a lot and helps to get some control, on other he isn't very useful on a counter.

Andersons Dietician

Really wish he’d stop asking refs to give people cards and just stop spamming Right Bumper + X sometimes just drive at the defence and try to drill one in the corner. He has the skill to do that and just create that yard to get a shot away but he never seems to ever commit a defender.

In the summer that is something that is really going to have to be addressed with him.

Paul778

on 27 mins he received a cross field ball with literally an open field in front of him and a defender trying desperately to get across.

If he had any ability at all with his right foot he would have run straight towards the penalty area and forced last ditch actions from Southampton. Even with a poor right foot he didn't necessarily have to shoot right footed. Once in the box he could have looked for other options...

But with no ability with his right foot at all, he just slowed down, waited for a defender to get goal side, cut inside like he always does, and got shut down by two defenders.

I know we paid 30m over the odds for him, but I've yet to see him put in anything like a 7/10 performance based on my expectations even based on 50m fee. In training they should make his constantly do right foot only drills.

This guy is going to be ETH Fellani.

PS: is there any website that breaks down player touches based on left/right/head/other?

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Definitely going to end the PL season without an assist isn't he? Hahaha.

Dear oh dear Erik....you've had a mare with this one. He's never going to be the answer in this league. So so predictable and easy to defend. Everyone has already worked him out.

Skills

Snitch
on 27 mins he received a cross field ball with literally an open field in front of him and a defender trying desperately to get across.

If he had any ability at all with his right foot he would have run straight towards the penalty area and forced last ditch actions from Southampton. Even with a poor right foot he didn't necessarily have to shoot right footed. Once in the box he could have looked for other options...

But with no ability with his right foot at all, he just slowed down, waited for a defender to get goal side, cut inside like he always does, and got shut down btly two defenders.

I know we paid 30m over the odds for him, but I've yet to see him put in anything like a 7/10 performance based on my expectations for a 50m player. In training they should make his constantly do right foot only drills.

This guy is going to be ETH Fellani.

PS: is there any website that breaks down player touches based on left/right/head/other?
We wish. Fellaini was very useful for all the managers that came after Moyes.

I can't imagine any managers outside of ETH who want a winger who doesn't score or assist. We'll struggle to get £30m for him.

LARulz

In the first half when we had 11 men he had a chance to go on the outside on the edge of their box but chooses not to. It was completely open. Instead he runs into the area the defender is standing because that defender knew Antony doesn't even look right, let alone move to the right

It's honestly infuriating and I almost give up each time he gets on the ball, you just know what he will do. If he's too far out he'll just pass it back into the middle. If he thinks he can get a shot then he will try but more often than not nothing

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Having two wingers who just stop all our attacks so they can cut inside onto their other foot is maddening. At least Valencia could keep the momentum of a move

jamesjimmybyrondean

He's not good. Can't dribble, slow on the ball, extremely one footed. I think we need another right winger unfortunately

Lecland07

I can't really see past him being a squad player at best. He can contribute, but he is nothing in comparison to players like Saka. I don't see him getting anywhere near him.

Have no idea why anyone thinks he is like Robben and Di Maria, either. He is nothing like them.

lsd

The Oracle
A truly horrible signing I already cannot wait to see the back of him.

Its just so depressing to see his name on the team sheet now

Status
Not open for further replies.