Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
I am a little surprised he's not been granted a bit of goodwill on here considering he won us our biggest European tie since Paris. He's also scored against Arsenal and general been good in the cups.

He has disappointed with assists and key passes though. I guess we are scarred by Sancho/Sanchez/di Maria and a huge price tag.

Abraxas

We're better with him in the side, no amount of stats hides that
True enough but I think that's by default, that's the problem. He's the only real left footed wide player we have. So yes he's providing natural balance but he's not providing anything beyond the bare minimum in addition. Well, a few nice goals for sure but nothing in terms of creation or consistent performance levels.

So really what we're saying is he's better than Sancho who is firstly not convincing in his own right and secondly never a right winger. And better than playing Rashford or Garnacho out of position. Relatively faint praise I'd say.

Matt851

I am a little surprised he's not been granted a bit of goodwill on here considering he won us our biggest European tie since Paris. He's also scored against Arsenal and general been good in the cups.

He has disappointed with assists and key passes though. I guess we are scarred by Sancho/Sanchez/di Maria and a huge price tag.
He has, his performances have been consistently poor but he has scored a few important goals which have shielded him from too much criticism

Yakuza_devils

Sorry to say but as of now he is very easy to defend against most of the time. He will get a few odd left foot screamers from outside the box. But generally he was frustrating in attacks.

Defenders watch videos of him and know that he can't dribble past them and 9.5 times out of 10 he will cut into left. He is also injury prone.

However, there is still hope considering Robben and Luis Figo was playing mostly one footed and considered as world class player.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Is a player that arguably needs a striker like Martial that can play him on goal and an overlapping fullback that can make him cutting in harder to read.

We have had neither this season.

I always felt he looked better with Martial, so I will wait until we get the best player possible on the left side of him (our CF) and the best player possible on the right hand side of him (our overlapping RB).

Then if he can build some deadly finishing ability like robben by cutting on his strongest foot then we have some player in our hand in my opinion.

surf

Despite the compaints about his high transfer fee, at least he's been better value than Sancho so far and is first choice on the right.

JeffFromHK

Instead of being one footed, I think his biggest short coming is his lack of ability to run with the ball at full speed (which pellistri managed to do a few times in his limited cameo). You need this skill to destabilize the defence and create chaos on the opponents

Stacks

What do you make of this?

He was not signed to create
Is a player that arguably needs a striker like Martial that can play him on goal and an overlapping fullback that can make him cutting in harder to read.

We have had neither this season.

I always felt he looked better with Martial, so I will wait until we get the best player possible on the left side of him (our CF) and the best player possible on the right hand side of him (our overlapping RB).

Then if he can build some deadly finishing ability like robben by cutting on his strongest foot then we have some player in our hand in my opinion.
None of this points to "some player" in any way shape or form. Little affect without world class players in every role around him. he gonna need more than just cut in and shoot

zaafi

He was not signed to create
But should it not be expected by one of our most forward players to create chances? I appreciate that how he creates space for other players when he stays wide, but he's an attacking player and should absolutely contribute with creating chances as well.

Cloud7

Was he injury prone at Ajax or is this a new development? It feels like he’s been out injured quite a few times this season.

sugar_kane

Needs to start taking his vitamins this lad, he's off sick more often than anyone else I can remember, and we have had quite a few sicknotes in the squad in recent years.

Mailo

Was he injury prone at Ajax or is this a new development? It feels like he’s been out injured quite a few times this season.
It isn't an injury. He's been ill.

Maybe he hasn't acclimatized to the UK weather?

Stacks

But should it not be expected by one of our most forward players to create chances? I appreciate that how he creates space for other players when he stays wide, but he's an attacking player and should absolutely contribute with creating chances as well.
Nope. It's to cut in and shoot or pass to the overlapping FB. C'est tout

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Glad he is better than sancho, a player many were creaming about. Made the cost of him more valid compared to Sanchos price tag.

Nicolarra90

Well, well indeed.

Perhaps I have been corrected, but the eyeball test tells me Antony has scored a few (not many, but a few) important goals. Did Alexis score a single goal for us that was either an equalizer or match winner?

Don't get me wrong...I definitely want more than a few key goals from any winger, especially a 70m winger, but all of us acknowledge that it takes a season for most footballers from a lesser league to adapt to the intensity of the PL. Alexis was already prem-proven, so to speak, whereas Antony is in his first season in the PL.
Yes, a header in stoppage time, not sure against which team, perhaps Newcastle?

lsd

The Oracle
And for what he is signed exactly?

To run very slowly up the right hand side before slowly turning back round then sending in the same shot match after match after match after match.

mu4c_20le

Wingers that don't create, fullbacks that don't defend, strikers that don't score goals.

Game isn't what it used to be.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
To run very slowly up the right hand side before slowly turning back round then sending in the same shot match after match after match after match.
I mean, I got used to him in the past few months as I realised he is not what I expected him to be, and I am (kind of) fine with his recent performances, but to say that wide forward who isn't scoring at good rate isn't there to create either is baffling.

lsd

The Oracle
I mean, I got used to him in the past few months as I realised he is not what I expected him to be, and I am (kind of) fine with his recent performances, but to say that wide forward who isn't scoring at good rate isn't there to create either is baffling.

To be fair we do have a striker who isn't here to score but at least he cost what Antony should have cost

Eli Zee

If they make him train with his right foot 80% of the time, all summer long, he'll be an actual beast.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
If they make him train with his right foot 80% of the time, all summer long, he'll be an actual beast.
People keep mentioning this, but ETH is said to do a lot of wrong foot training, and he’s had Antony for 3 years so I wouldn’t get my hopes up on that front. I think there are plenty of one-footed players around though, so it doesn’t necessarily have to be a major issue if he can become more effective in what he does when he comes inside. I thought he did okay on Sunday, actually, but you’d hope he can do more.

zaafi

I mean it worker at Ajax......
Wait, you were being serious? You genuinely think Antony was brought in to cut in and shoot or pass to the overlapping right back? These are extremely basic football abilities, and I can't think of any winger that wouldn't be able to do this. Antony has a really nice left foot, but the amount of shots he attempts each match, you'd expect that every now and then one of those shots would end up in the back of the net. If we've got ourselves a winger that can't create chances, we've got the wrong one. I think his work rate and tenacity is really nice, but you can't look away from the fact that he's an attacker and should contribute heavily to the offensive part of the game.

By the way, what do you mean it worked in Eredivisie? It's not like he had really great stats or anything, and the level there is quite something else when compared to Premier League. Besides, the defending and goalkeeping is much worse and the overall level is really bad so performing well in Eredivisie should be expected from someone that is going to be a starter for United, but that doesn't necessarily mean they're good enough (see Gakpo). I hope he will come good as I think he's got great ability but he needs to develop parts of his game and also be more consistent if he wants to be an elite player.

Stacks

Wait, you were being serious? You genuinely think Antony was brought in to cut in and shoot or pass to the overlapping right back? These are extremely basic football abilities, and I can't think of any winger that wouldn't be able to do this. Antony has a really nice left foot, but the amount of shots he attempts each match, you'd expect that every now and then one of those shots would end up in the back of the net. If we've got ourselves a winger that can't create chances, we've got the wrong one. I think his work rate and tenacity is really nice, but you can't look away from the fact that he's an attacker and should contribute heavily to the offensive part of the game.

By the way, what do you mean it worked in Eredivisie? It's not like he had really great stats or anything, and the level there is quite something else when compared to Premier League. Besides, the defending and goalkeeping is much worse and the overall level is really bad so performing well in Eredivisie should be expected from someone that is going to be a starter for United, but that doesn't necessarily mean they're good enough (see Gakpo). I hope he will come good as I think he's got great ability but he needs to develop parts of his game and also be more consistent if he wants to be an elite player.
Man stop I was playing. You didn't have to write all that.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
This guy's illnesses are getting a bit suspicious. If he goes and plays for Brazil again like he did for the Fulham game, questions would need to be asked.

RuudtheRed

Great play by him today, turned the game on its head. I liked his positive aggression

Status
Not open for further replies.