5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnyteutonic

If you look at the PL stats for this season, Rashford's is actually better than Antony's - 34.6 to 31.0. The key thing here though is they're both low - below 50 percentile (ie, sub-average for PL wingers). But this, like headers won %, is a stat that is of doubtful usefulness on its own. If you look at take-ons attempted, it's 4.04 for Rashford, 3.82 for Antony. These are above-average, but not extremely high. If you look at the successful take-ons/90, which is arguably the most useful stat if you're looking at only one, Rahsford's is OK at 1.40, while Antony's is sub-average at 1.19.

For context, Garnacho is 27% (very bad)/7.35 (very high)/1.99, while Sancho is 41.8% (still bad)/4.17/1.74.

Antony is the only United attacker whose miscontrols aren't sub-average, but still not that good (1.84 in the PL). The others; Rashford 2.53, Garnacho 3.97, Sancho 2.65.

Of all those stats, the volume of Garnacho's take-on attempts (7.35/90) is the only one that is top 15 percentiles for wingers/att mids in the PL this season, and no one has even an average PL winger success rate, so it is safe to say this is not a strong area for this team.

If you want to add in Martial, he has a better success rate (50%) than any of the wingers, but he makes very few attempts (2.07/90), giving him 1.03 successful take-ons/90 (which is actually at least above average, for a striker). 2.51 miscontrols/90, also better than average for a PL striker.
Antony's xAG is also really low as well. He's just not making optimal decisions very often at the moment. Rashford's is the lowest out of all of them but I think a bit of that is to do with him spending much more time up top this season because his xAG is even worse than last season (a full 0.05 per 90 lower). Plus I think it's not as big a deal for him because he has so much more goal contributions than all the others, and he's more of an inside-forward anyway.

Also worth mentioning is that as we are not (yet) a high-possession team that spends a lot of time spent in the opposition half applying sustained pressure, I think when you're not succeeding with your take-ons very much, and not being effective once you get past your man, I reckon that is going to be more noticeable as being wasteful as you're not making the most out of the few opportunities you get to take on your man.

For possession, we are 6th in the league, ranking 10.3 percent behind top place City and a full 5 percent less than 5th place Chelsea. Liverpool are 2nd with 60.7, Arsenal are 3rd in the league with 60.5 percent of the ball, and Brighton are 4th with 60.4 percent.
We also rank only 7th in pass completion percentage as a squad, at 80.6 percent, 6.4 percent lower than top place City.

It's also interesting to look at stats like progressing carries per 90, progressive carrying distance, carries into the final third, carries into the penalty box, etc, to see how effective all our wingers are.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
He should do what Cochrane "made" Garnacho do when he told him to go to his left and shoot with his left the first two times in every match, before chopping inside to his right.

By this I mean that Antony should aim his first two shots to the near corner to keep the keepers and defenders guessing. Of course naturally you go with what you see and if there's space in the far corner, go for it. And it's easier for Garna to do that in the U18s and U21s. But I hope they discuss this with EtH & McCarthy as I'd say just by adding a bit more versatility in his finishing he'd get an extra maybe five goals a season.

Brighton 1:0 Man Utd

Skills

Snitch
Anyone and everyone involved in this transfer shouldn't be trusted with a single penny again. What a shocking excuse for a forward

Telsim

€95M for a play stretcher, balance bringer, and fight instigator. A bargain.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Forget his performance for a second but this is the 4th time this season he has kicked out at an opponent. Why can’t the coaches get into his head

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Was shite. Has been shite in too many patches.

Has also been superb in moments. He needs to do a lot more next season, he won't get the pass he has now.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
It will be worrying if he is our only choice for right wing for next season.

He is also very unlikeable bloke, can't really blame opposition if they don't like him, he wants to kick every player that doees well against him, which means he is into some fights every week.

twitter thread suggester
Anyone and everyone involved in this transfer shouldn't be trusted with a single penny again. What a shocking excuse for a forward
Yup. I seriously worry about EtH eye for talent.

dove

I just don't like him at all. That right side of the pitch is absolutely dead.

MetoTTT

It's really worrying the player he is atm and Sancho too. Two big transfers are looking so over rated.

Idxomer

He's bang average and that's probably being a bit generous to him and he doesn't have the tools to play better.

redNATION

Genuinely don’t see a top player here unlike say Garnacho, doesn’t do anything with the ball and a poor temperament to boot. Story of our transfers the last decade :mad:

kundalini

Well at least he didn't get sent off. For a moment it looked like he was intent on getting a red card.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
He did the whole frustration kicking thing here too. You can ask Malacia.

Fecking loathe this player and apparantly it wasnt just the Ajax shirt blinding me.

el3mel

It's just another dreadful football we spent ton of money on, and we're going to convince ourselves he's going to improve and turn the tides in the future, keep him on for few more seasons hoping for him to be anywhere good or consistent just to justify his ridiculous price tag, before giving up and waiting for him to run down his contract and move on free.

We never learn. A new Pogba and Martial in the making.

Sylar

He should have scored or at the very least hit the target in the first minute. No excuse as it was his strongest (only) foot.

Defending against him is easy though when he's on the wing.

He was bad and somehow we were even worse when he came off. His yellow was daft , it's things like that which gets opposition fans back into the moment

King Eric 7

He's a difficult player to warm to. Hoping he can improve massively next season as I can't believe what I'm seeing at times this season.

El Jefe

Van der Sar lied, he doesn't love this club. He really made us pay £84m for a futsal player.

Strikers get all the blame but I've continuously said you can never have a potent attack with this fella in the team.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
He is pretty rubbish at everything really. Erik you've had a mare here. He's not good enough for Manchester United.

NZT-One

Understandably got frustrated when partially outplayed and I like that it seemingly is getting to him but the out-kicking is worrying at this stage. Needs to control his temper, it's not helping at all. Think the ref had to give him a red to be perfectly honest, no intent for playing the ball in that situation, frustrated.

dove

This is worse. The fecker spent 2 years coaching him
That is the most shocking thing really. How can ETH, after coaching Antony for a couple years, was like "yep, this is the guy worth splashing half my transfer budget on" is beyond me.

ElDiabloRojo

Offered nothing but petulance this evening. Shouldn't be starting on current form.

Who starts ahead of him?

Malone_Post

Horrible player. Horrible attitude. Zero likability and very little ability.

Solly March is 10x the player, as are most regular starting PL right wingers. Just another colossus waste of money. Add him to the pile with Lukaku , Maguire,, Sancho etc

flappyjay

Forget his performance for a second but this is the 4th time this season he has kicked out at an opponent. Why can’t the coaches get into his head
I saw complaints about the ref but he did us a solid. This clown keeps getting away with his blatant kick he will do it again in an even more important match and we will pay for it.

Jev

Time for ETH to bench him for an extended period but since he's the teacher's pet it won't happen. Struggling to see this ever working out, he just looks way out of his depth. Doesn't help that he's such an unpleasant type.

RORY65

Understandably got frustrated when partially outplayed and I like that it seemingly is getting to him but the out-kicking is worrying at this stage. Needs to control his temper, it's not helping at all. Think the ref had to give him a red to be perfectly honest, no intent for playing the ball in that situation, frustrated.
I think a yellow was fine but it's concerning that he so often doesn't look like a threat and now on multiple occasions has got completely distracted from his job by tough but essentially fair defending to the point that he's had to be taken off before he gets sent off. As you say he needs to control his temper and use it in a more positive manner, as well as just generally needing to improve significantly as a player because he's currently very unproductive and ineffectual for an attacker that cost that much.

Eric_the_Red99

I saw complaints about the ref but he did us a solid. This clown keeps getting away with his blatant kick he will do it again in an even more important match and we will pay for it.
And yet there are some people on here who love to see that sort of thing from him, as if he’s showing ‘passion’ that should be welcomed. No, it’s not passion, it’s being an immature drama queen.

Status
Not open for further replies.