Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Ah the CAF has found their new whipping boy? Guess it gives the usual targets a break

Devil81

He's brought a balance to the right hand side we've been missing for a fair few years but that being said we overpaid by about 50 million in my opinion.

He's worth around 40 million max.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I know the overreactions are harsh and I do feel he deserves at least a season, but if we're being brutally realistic, at United since 2013 how often has a player actually turned around an average/bad start and eventually justified their price tag? I think of the 52 signings we've made since then you could argue maybe 2/3.

croadyman

He's brought a balance to the right hand side we've been missing for a fair few years but that being said we overpaid by about 50 million in my opinion.

He's worth around 40 million max.
Yeah if we had paid half of what we did wouldn't feel so ripped off. He has shown moments but needs to find a bit more consistency

Bert_

He's hardly even played for us. He was only here for just over two months before the world cup! Give him a chance ffs

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Such a young Brazilian boy in the toughest league of the world.

Relax.

He doesn’t even have a striker to play with.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
What's up with all these overreactions about him constantly.
It's the fans that didn't want us to sign him in the first place. They took 1 look at his youtube videos, decided he wasn't for them and now every time he has an average performance it's "not good enough, get rid, waste of money"

In reality he was very close to getting 2 assists and scoring a goal in a short cameo appearance. Getting up to speed on a freezing cold night isn't always the easiest thing either.

Could he have been better? sure. Was it the worst performance ever? hell no.

Real Name

It's the fans that didn't want us to sign him in the first place. They took 1 look at his youtube videos, decided he wasn't for them and now every time he has an average performance it's "not good enough, get rid, waste of money"

In reality he was very close to getting 2 assists and scoring a goal in a short cameo appearance. Getting up to speed on a freezing cold night isn't always the easiest thing either.

Could he have been better? sure. Was it the worst performance ever? hell no.
Exactly.

Mr PG

Just to repeat what others have been saying. Robben was miles ahead of Antony even at that point.
Not true. Antony has been very good in the cl with Ajax at 21. Chelsea sold Robben for a fairly cheap price and not many teams were in for him as he was always injured.

Mr PG

Raphina and Richarlison both went for around £60m. Antony could be the difference between top 4 or not which in itself would be worth more to the club than whatever difference in valuation Ajax managed to rinse out of us. If we had signed him earlier we could easily have saved ourselves 20m quid not waiting until last minute.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
He has a great attitude, which can get you really far. But, he definitely needs to improve his final ball, which he'll have plenty of time to.

Makes me appreciate Nani so much more. Feels like a similar-ish age/profile when we signed him too.

Irrational.

He needs an extended run in the team to build chemistry with the players around him. As we saw with his explosive start vs Arse, there is a player in there.

Nicolarra90

You are looking too much into a game that was already done. Who cares if he scored nil, 1 or 10. He's bought to be the difference in closed and key games. We have to evaluate him there.

People look too much into goals when the real focus should be into wins. (That's why many think Ronaldo is the goat)

Trex

Sancho didn't cost much less but was not scrutinized this much by the fan base last season. Can we cut him some slack he has been decent and shows good work ethic, let's give him a chance. The scrutiny didn't do Pogba and Maguire any good, you'll think we'll give him at least a year to show more.

The United

Not true. Antony has been very good in the cl with Ajax at 21. Chelsea sold Robben for a fairly cheap price and not many teams were in for him as he was always injured.
Again, we are talking about for United. Until he starts showing that for us.

El Jefe

You really are doubling down on this after several posters have called you out for an awfully wrong post. I doubt you'll get a single person on here who watched a young Robben that will share your view.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
It's not been an impressive start for him. The delay in his transfer didn't help one bit though nor did the minor injury before the world cup.

For me he gets a free pass this season as long as he is putting in the effort which he definitely is.

Next season though I'm expecting big things from him. 84m right now isn't looking a good deal for us.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
He lacks confidence and sync with the team. Give him more training and game time and he will be top notch

Dannn411

I actually thought he did ok. He was more direct than he's been since he joined and was willing to actually take risks and try things. He just needs to be much more aggressive and more direct with his play and the reason we signed him will begin to show itself.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Give him time. It’s hard for foreign players to come into this league and shine straight away. Especially when he’s Brazilian and finds it difficult to communicate with his team mates. He’ll be a star for us next season. This season he’ll show a lot of improvement as he plays more games. Let’s not expect massive things yet and start ruling players out.

Glorio

I know the overreactions are harsh and I do feel he deserves at least a season, but if we're being brutally realistic, at United since 2013 how often has a player actually turned around an average/bad start and eventually justified their price tag? I think of the 52 signings we've made since then you could argue maybe 2/3.
It's not an average or bad start productivity-wise though is it? One might argue its quite a good start. It basically just looks like he's productive despite looking overly dependent on one foot and seemingly playing within himself

TheReligion

Abusive
It's not an average or bad start productivity-wise though is it? One might argue its quite a good start. It basically just looks like he's productive despite looking overly dependent on one foot and seemingly playing within himself
Just look in the Nunez thread. Posters falling over themselves to make excuses for him, suggesting it will obviously all click as he’s getting himself into good positions etc..

Yet you have Antony who didn’t have a pre season, arrived at the club late and then suffered with injury, delivering quite productive stats and goals in big games v City and Arsenal yet the reaction here is to pan him at every opportunity.

This can be a strange place.

Skills

Snitch
He's an interesting player. I don't think he's really a winger (I don't think he can beat a man for one), but his ball retention is actually very good out wide for one. I think he can be like Bernardo Silva was for City before he moved into a CM position.

Nick.

Everyone in the world knew he wasn't worth €100m so I just don't judge him by those expectations. I don't get why people are up in arms in this thread.

Davie Moyes

Wait, what's happened? I come into this thread and reading all these negative posts and people writing him off. Personally I think he's done fairly well and we missed him when he was out. I'm pleasantly surprised by him scoring a few already.

There are all sort of excuses for Nunez and how he will come good yet Antony has been written off. Don't forget they both have cost 100m (in Nunez's case they will be paying the remainder very soon as the add-ons are basically guaranteed). I think we have over paid by about £20m but what could we do as he was ETH's first choice.

I think we have a lot of Pool and City face fans masquerading as Utd fans on this site and it's spoiling the Cafe for me.

TheReligion

Abusive
Wait, what's happened? I come into this thread and reading all these negative posts and people writing him off. Personally I think he's done fairly well and we missed him when he was out. I'm pleasantly surprised by him scoring a few already.

There are all sort of excuses for Nunez and how he will come good yet Antony has been written off. Don't forget they both have cost 100m (in Nunez's case they will be paying the remainder very soon as the add-ons are basically guaranteed). I think we have over paid by about £20m but what could we do as he was ETH's first choice.

I think we have a lot of Pool and City face fans masquerading as Utd fans on this site and it's spoiling the Cafe for me.
I tend to agree with this. That said some people are just very negative in general.

Zetrio2002

Yes Antony has proven himself to be a 60 mil player by scoring on his debut and scoring again and again. With his dribbling skills, there's no doubt he's above average.

Nunez is a bigger flop based on what has transpired this season.

AaronRedDevil

I thought he blitzed the Speed limit by going 150mph. Instead he's just 10 over 70-75...ffs lads.

JustinC00

I thought he blitzed the Speed limit by going 150mph. Instead he's just 10 over 70-75...ffs lads.
Ya it's embarrassing. But as someone else put it, he's the new whipping boy,

I really hope these people outraged about him driving over 75 weren't Top Gear fans or the people outraged he only has one hand on the wheel are outraged that manual gear cars are a thing seeing is how you need a hand on the gear shifter so you can't always have 2 hands on the wheel.

Gycraig

Supports
Hull
I thought he had slotted in and played well tbh. I’m not sure what people actually expect from our players at the moment.

PSV

Ya it's embarrassing. But as someone else put it, he's the new whipping boy,

I really hope these people outraged about him driving over 75 weren't Top Gear fans or the people outraged he only has one hand on the wheel are outraged that manual gear cars are a thing seeing is how you need a hand on the gear shifter so you can't always have 2 hands on the wheel.
Yeah, let's praise inattentive behaviour, we could do with some more traffic fatalities.

Status
Not open for further replies.