5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

lostcauz

Will Erik stick with his guy or do we think Bruno could start on the right against city

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Good goal but I don’t really rate him that highly. Greenwood was twice the player at 18. Shame he had to be such a wrongun.

dove

Unfortunately that right side of the pitch is still as dead as it's been for a decade now. Great goal but typical performance apart from that.

acnumber9

I’m struggling to think of a single chance he’s created all season. For a wide player, he needs to be doing a lot more. Slows down every single attack and just can’t get away from players. Hard to see how he can improve that.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
No player at this level should be that one-footed.

For feck sake, even Robben could poke a cross in with his right foot occasionally.

RedIan

Great goal, his trademark but yes his one footedness is worrying. He just cant beat a man on that right hand side.

Roboc7

He could end up with 10-12 goals this season but only handful of good performances and very few chances created. Nice goal but other than that was quite poor tonight.

Telsim

Spectacular goal. Apart from that, nothing much to say. He just doesn't create chances. He needs to get the Sancho treatment, but be sent somewhere where they practice using right feet for 8 hours a day. It's driving me mad that. There was one time where he dribbled all the way to the line missing multiple chances to cross and instead just turned around and passed back. And that was that for the attack. He is extremely predictable.

Witchking

Just 22 years of age, but it's disappointing that he is not able to take anyone on. He just passes it sideways or behind.

Defenders would know his game by heart. Doesn't run at defenders with pace, doesn't counter with pace, doesn't use his right feet. Very one dimensional.

Do not think he will make an impact against arsenal or city this coming week. Would love for him to have brilliant games and win for United.

It was also mentioned that he had some personal issues at home, so maybe he's not on the pitch 100%

Hope Eth looks after him and brings him upto speed.

Oluwaplumpie

Hear me out: he has beef with his right foot. It's that or he's afraid of the foot.

There can't be some other reason.

Idxomer

His passing isn't very good.

I think at this point I agree with @Skills that he could very well be Ten Hag's Maguire.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Genuinely one of the mot confusing players we have signed in a long long time. Capable of moments of magic but badly lacking in so many areas in his game.

That was a wonderful strike today but the rest of the game I thought he was really poor. He actually beat the defender on the outside 2 times within a few minutes in first half and both times refused to cross with his right foot. The attack fizzled out both times. Baffling why he refuses to use it so it can't be very good can it?

What a strange player he is.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
This game confirmed what he had and did not have in his toolbox. A sublime 22m curled shot that will unfortunately be far too easy to defend/stop if he doesn't mix up his play with outside runs. If I was a keeper, I'd move 1 meter to my right when I see Antony with the ball outside the box. It's a beautiful strike though, it's obviously better than having to long distance ability at all.

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
how can he not be working every day on his non existent right foot?

his honeymoon period will be over very soon .... show him outside...... pocketed.

PSV

It's always nice when the one-trick pony does his one trick and it comes off.

Wouldn't mind seing more of Pellistri at his expense going forward.

dove

Genuinely one of the mot confusing players we have signed in a long long time. Capable of moments of magic but badly lacking in so many areas in his game.

That was a wonderful strike today but the rest of the game I thought he was really poor. He actually beat the defender on the outside 2 times within a few minutes in first half and both times refused to cross with his right foot. The attack fizzled out both times. Baffling why he refuses to use it so it can't be very good can it?

I mean... It's not like his left foot is amazing either, his passing is generally mediocre but he is capable of striking the ball quite well sometimes. But if that's his strong foot, imagine his weak, no wonder he avoids using it like a plague.

rooney2009

We need to give him time and hopefully he will settle and come alive soon
I saw his clips at Ajax and he was always taking people on so I’m sure there is so much more to come from him

Orange Tree

He needs to mix it up a bit. So far his play has been cut inside and curl it in, or backpass.

Dominos

Is the manager not able to influence is this issue?

Surely it's as simple as having him practice every day crossing with his right foot, and reminding him before every game he expects him to go on the outside and cross. And if he ignores those instructions then you don't play the next game.

I don't understand why we indulge players in their terrible habits.

On a positive note, 2 goals in his last 2! He's got a wicked shot when he cuts in.

mu4c_20le

Great goals so far but still yet to record an assist.

(for the sake of it... Elanga has one)

macheda14

Tifo spoke about him the other day, the one thing we don’t appreciate is yes he might seem a bit apprehensive in his play, but off the ball he is taking up great positions be it offensively or more importantly defensively. He brings a lot of discipline to our forward pressing. He’s used to being able to burn Dutch league defenders one on one but he’s the physicality here is different and he needs to adjust.

footballbite

He's kind of the opposite of Garnacho on the other flank - Garnacho already seems better at basically everything than Antony except for shooting. Shooting is the main thing Antony has actually been alright at. He can't even beat a League One full-back, while Garnacho was taking the mick dribbling passed the one on the other side.

But Garnacho seems like he'll improve his finishing sooner than Antony improves his dribbling and general creativity (Garnacho keeps getting close).

Godfather

To be honest he had feck all to cross to in that situation. Elanga was the only one in the box surrounded by guys twice as big as him

skc_18

More than his one footedness, I am more concerned about his ability in our breaks. We saw in last match and this match too.We have pretty good pacy attackers and when he receives the ball break is almost lost.

Cant blame only him for his overall play surely its down to tactics from manager. He does not have any one to cross in the box, cant take over his man not sure why he is way wide on the right. Should be closer to the box and try to bend one which seems to be the best skill of him. But manager has other ideas probably good in longer run.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
To be honest he had feck all to cross to in that situation. Elanga was the only one in the box surrounded by guys twice as big as him
Yeah, that's a fair point. Weghorst would give him that option if we get him.

Antony crossing to Haller was lethal in the CL for Ajax over the last couple of seasons.

Lost bear

We need to give him time and hopefully he will settle and come alive soon
I saw his clips at Ajax and he was always taking people on so I’m sure there is so much more to come from him
Was he this left-footed at Ajax? Does he have any more tricks in his box? I certainly hope so, otherwise I can’t see why ETH bought him, to be honest. One weapon does not a warrior make.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
That's true but I think you're being kind to him. Don't think he'd have crossed it for Shearer or Zlatan. Not with his right foot anyway. He actively avoids using it. Even with simple passes he uses the outside of his left over the inside of his right at times.

Great goal but again he isn't doing anywhere near enough as a winger. Doesn't create chances for anyone. Even Valencia's shin breakers reaped more rewards for us.

mu4c_20le

More than his one footedness, I am more concerned about his ability in our breaks. We saw in last match and this match too.We have pretty good pacy attackers and when he receives the ball break is almost lost.

Cant blame only him for his overall play surely its down to tactics from manager. He does not have any one to cross in the box, cant take over his man not sure why he is way wide on the right. Should be closer to the box and try to bend one which seems to be the best skill of him. But manager has other ideas probably good in longer run.
Even when he has space in front of him, it's quite predictable what he's going to do. Robben without pace, that's what I was thinking all game. Brilliant left peg, so much that he gets double teamed to prevent him getting the shot off, but almost zero pace.

justboy68

It was always a gamble paying that much for the lad. He can score a few Robben like goals no doubt about it, but looks far too one dimensional overall.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
Is the manager not able to influence is this issue?

Surely it's as simple as having him practice every day crossing with his right foot, and reminding him before every game he expects him to go on the outside and cross. And if he ignores those instructions then you don't play the next game.
I don't think it's that simple. Robben or Di Maria could have been close to Ballons d'or had they used their right foot more (even if they did a tiny bit), they just couldn't do it consistently even if I'm pretty sure they had good coaches that tried to work on that. So Antony either needs to improve his right foot or be so good at something else that it makes up for that flaw (outside of the foot passes for exemple, or Rabonas).

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
He will be fine, he's producing, his game was never as direct as Garnoacho or Rashford. We can be happy that we have that variety. He's mostly a palyer who retain possession works his way up with clever passes and strikes when there's a good opportunity, not trying to go past players every attack. which might disaappoint people but that gives us a bit more control in general and his impact will change with more confidence and more runners around him.

skc_18

Even when he has space in front of him, it's quite predictable what he's going to do. Robben without pace, that's what I was thinking all game. Brilliant left peg, so much that he gets double teamed to prevent him getting the shot off, but almost zero pace.
I am not sure pace is the problem. Looked decent pace off ball but does not use that when he has ball and space.
Also seems very reluctant to take on the defender and its not like he failed doing that few times and decided against it.

Any Ajax fans know if this is how Antony plays or just down to tactics/adapting to new league.

Status
Not open for further replies.