5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stacks

Bit comical judging him because of the fee; he costed so much therefore he should automatically deliver 10/10 performances every game... Such BS, 80m gets you Maguire... Judge him by what he brings to the team and how he progresses.

So far what he has brought to the team is finally a real RW. He's not afraid to take a man on, plays with grit, toughness, works hard and has that trademark brazilian flair about him with the tricks and dribbling.

What he needs to work on hard is those shots because too many of them are below par. Other than that I am quite happy with him. I wish sometimes instead of making the safe pass he just tries to go past whoevers in front of him but I think that will come with time as confidence gains..
Have you seen him play?

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Bit comical judging him because of the fee; he costed so much therefore he should automatically deliver 10/10 performances every game... Such BS, 80m gets you Maguire... Judge him by what he brings to the team and how he progresses.

So far what he has brought to the team is finally a real RW. He's not afraid to take a man on, plays with grit, toughness, works hard and has that trademark brazilian flair about him with the tricks and dribbling.

What he needs to work on hard is those shots because too many of them are below par. Other than that I am quite happy with him. I wish sometimes instead of making the safe pass he just tries to go past whoevers in front of him but I think that will come with time as confidence gains..
I checked twice that I'm still in Antony thread after reading the bolded part.

Anyway, he still gets a free pass from the fans, fair enough he hasn't been terrible, just a bit disappointing. The price tag is important though, especially if we don't have any money left for transfers as we're being told recently.

Irwin99

5 goals in 17 games isn't bad going for a youngster in a new league, the lack of a single assist is strange though.

I'm confident he'll get 10 goals this season and will keep improving.

BlueHaze

I checked twice that I'm still in Antony thread after reading the bolded part.

Anyway, he still gets a free pass from the fans, fair enough he hasn't been terrible, just a bit disappointing. The price tag is important though, especially if we don't have any money left for transfers as we're being told recently.
Because this forum for most part only likes to bash and shit on people and never look for positives in anything so when someone is a little more positive people get shocked like neanderthals.

Still plenty of time left of season and it was never likely that in his first season he would be firing off all cylinders and look the real deal instantly. He is still young and has come from a entire different climate in eredivise to PL which is a completely different beast playing for a team that has struggled for years and are now trying to build on something for the future.

People should give him a little time, he'll prove the haters wrong.

RuudTom83

I wonder if the ridicule/criticism of his pointless 360 trick has affected his confidence.

Also is his ‘crab like side on dribble’ a new thing this season or was he doing that last year as well?

Would prefer him to go back to basics, and play a bit quicker generally.

But his finishing and work rate are huge bonuses to the team.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

Ten Hag has got almost everyone right since he arrived here. I refuse to believe that he misjudged Antony's ability to perform in the Premier League. I'm confident he will only get better. As other posters have pointed out, having a different type of striker in Weghorst might suit Antony's style more.

El Jefe

It would be good to remember Dan James scored 3 goals in his first 4 PL games and didn't score another for the rest of the season. I'm not convinced Antony is this scorer that some think he is, at least not yet anyway.

After his purple patch to start the season he's been pretty shite in front of goal until the goal against Charlton. He's been in very good positions since and had tame shots saved easily by the goalies.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Because this forum for most part only likes to bash and shit on people and never look for positives in anything so when someone is a little more positive people get shocked like neanderthals.

Still plenty of time left of season and it was never likely that in his first season he would be firing off all cylinders and look the real deal instantly. He is still young and has come from a entire different climate in eredivise to PL which is a completely different beast playing for a team that has struggled for years and are now trying to build on something for the future.

It's OK to give him time, he's still young. However, your description of Antony is completely wrong and I don't think you're doing him any favour.

To be honest I really doubt he will ever become the player from your post. That doesn't mean he won't be useful, but I don't get how Antony gets from here to a flying winger. Hope I'm wrong, but his glaring limitations are a worry.

It would be good to remember Dan James scored 3 goals in his first 4 PL games and didn't score another for the rest of the season. I'm not convinced Antony is this scorer that some think he is, at least not yet anyway.

After his purple patch to start the season he's been pretty shite in front of goal until the goal against Charlton. He's been in very good positions since and had tame shots saved easily by the goalies.
He seems to have a decent shot on him, that is a weapon. But he outscored his chances so I'd expect this stream to go dry. Hope to be wrong here as well.

In terms of goal contributions, I don't remember him creating a good chance. Probably my memory isn't the best, but he's clearly not a creator at all. What he's good at is occupying defenders with crab-esque dribbling. He's quite useful in progressing with the ball as well, but this is not what we payed for 80m.

Last edited:

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
He's also in the unenviable position of being the only Ten Hag signing not to hit the ground running.
He did hit ground running. For a 21 /22 year moving to a new country, I thought he started well. He's just really gone into his shell of late.

flappyjay

It's OK to give him time, he's still young. However, your description of Antony is completely wrong and I don't think you're doing him any favour.

To be honest I really doubt he will ever become the player from your post. That doesn't mean he won't be useful, but I don't get how Antony gets from here to a flying winger. Hope I'm wrong, but his glaring limitations are a worry.

He seems to have a decent shot on him, that is a weapon. But he outscored his chances so I'd expect this stream to go dry. Hope to be wrong here as well.

In terms of goal contributions, I don't remember him creating a good chance. Probably my memory isn't the best, but he's clearly not a creator at all. What he's good at is occupying defenders with crab-esque dribbling. He's quite useful in progressing with the ball as well, but this is not what we payed for 80m.
:lol: rival fans call him the fidget spinner.

Jeffthered

So, in the meantime, what do you suggest the team does? Just leave it and hope he improves? At the expense of what, our attacking potential? He isn't scoring that many, and he sure isn't providing assists? So what, we hope that Rashford continues to play so well and not lose form, get suspended or injured like many players inevitably do being realistic?

Antony's form is having an impact on the team, and I sincerely hope the likes of you are right, and something will emerge, because for me, I cannot see much in this player that I really like. Nothing against him, but I expect far, far, far, far more from a Manchester United first choice attacking player. He has played for a big club at Ajax... he isn't some youth player, and he also plays for his National team (who aren't too shabby..) so we are hardly dealing with a 'Garnacho' type player.

Antony needs to develop his game. When he came on against City, he seemed lost.

flappyjay

You do realise people don't necessarily hate him. It's just that a lot of people are calling out the fact that he is currently not performing. Whether he cost 30m or 80 it wouldn't change that fact. Haven't seen anyone call him championship material like they did Rashford. Him and Sancho are going to have to step up big time for us to achieve our goals. Whether this season or next.

Seveneric

What does that even mean?
"Taking on a man" is probably the 2nd weakest aspect of his game from what he's shown here so far. Highlighting it to praise him does bring into question whether we're watching the same player.

Last edited:

Bert_

He's a 22 year old who's only been in the country for 4 months. Only 3 if you take into account the world cup.

Got to give him a chance to settle in.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I still think he's got lots of talent. He just needs confidence and a tweak in his playing style. He's not playing with that purpose in attack that you need in this league and of course the whole lovein with the touch line needs to stop.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
So, in the meantime, what do you suggest the team does? Just leave it and hope he improves? At the expense of what, our attacking potential? He isn't scoring that many, and he sure isn't providing assists? So what, we hope that Rashford continues to play so well and not lose form, get suspended or injured like many players inevitably do being realistic?

Antony's form is having an impact on the team, and I sincerely hope the likes of you are right, and something will emerge, because for me, I cannot see much in this player that I really like. Nothing against him, but I expect far, far, far, far more from a Manchester United first choice attacking player. He has played for a big club at Ajax... he isn't some youth player, and he also plays for his National team (who aren't too shabby..) so we are hardly dealing with a 'Garnacho' type player.

In his defense, he looked totally lost but he started in false 9 position so hardly his fault. He did better when moved to RW but still he's just OK. Does the basics right and that's it. The questions marks are about his ceiling rather than current form, which he will improve surely.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
"Taking on a man" is probably the 2nd weakest aspect of the game from what he's shown here so far. Highlighting it to praise him does bring into question whether we're watching the same player.
Based on his stats at Ajax, I was expecting so much more than what we've seen from Antony in this respect.

According to fbref, in 202-21 for Ajax, Antony attempted 3.92 dribbles per 90 and completed 2.19 per 90.

In the Premier League this season, Antony has attempted 2.48 dribbles per 90 and completed just 0.78 per 90.

Basically, his attempted dribbles are down by a quarter and his completed dribbles have halved. That very much matches the evidence of my eyes.

I thought we were getting a winger who took people on, which certainly looked to be the case at Ajax. Instead, it really feels like Antony has gone into his shell and would prefer to play it safe than really cause trouble for people.

Is it confidence? Is the standard of full back in the Premier League better? I dunno. It just feels like, compared to what I expected to see, based on what he was doing at Ajax, he hasn't got going.

zenith

The PL is tough to adapt to. He's young, stepping up from the Dutch league, adapting to a new country. All this is not easy at all.

At the minimum, he'll need until this time next season to show what he is really capable of

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
He's young, with no pre-season, and the interruption of a world cup.

He needs some time to adjust to this league, but at the bare minimum he is providing a lot of hard work and some goals.

I think he will benefit from a central striker, and more importantly time.

phelans shorts

My god you couldn’t be more wrong. Once Antony went to the right wing we took control of the game. His importance is giving us somebody who’ll be reliable out on the right and allows space for the rest of the forward line. Stevie Wonder could see what he brings to the team.

Hughes35

I think the critics are harsh tbh. I think he's been pretty good.

He works hard, good touch, links up well, tactically very good, gives a lot of width, scores some goals & scores some screamers.

The only thing I'm a little disappointed about is I think he's just lacking half a yard of pace to make him a truly top player. Give him Bale pace and he's instantly world class IMO...... He's quick but he's not scaring defenders with his pace. He's also sooooooooooo one footed.

Good player though. I don't think he will ever be the main man / tear the PL apart but I think he will consistently be a good performer.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I think the critics are harsh tbh. I think he's been pretty good.

He works hard, good touch, links up well, tactically very good, gives a lot of width, scores some goals & scores some screamers.

The only thing I'm a little disappointed about is I think he's just lacking half a yard of pace to make him a truly top player. Give him Bale pace and he's instantly world class IMO...... He's quick but he's not scaring defenders with his pace. He's also sooooooooooo one footed.

Good player though. I don't think he will ever be the main man / tear the PL apart but I think he will consistently be a good performer.
Pace is not the only thing what he's missing. He is extremely one-footed, his passing and crossing is erratic. Some of it might be down to poor form, but lack of athleticism and inability to use weaker foot don't go away I'm afraid.
He is playing it safe and still making us a better team though, we have a better balance with him on the right.

Antony and Sancho are in different buckets. Sancho was getting fantastic numbers and we know what he's capable of, we just need to find a way to get him to this level again. He has all the tools apart from pace.

Antony has not been that impressive in the Netherlands, I think a lot of people on this forum had some doubts why we are pushing for him that hard.

BTW I just watched a short clip of Antony "craziest skills" and it shows exactly what he does for us, some dribbling skills, tricks, good passing and progressing with the ball. Even goals look exactly what he's been scoring for us. Looks like we got what we payed for to be honest (and that is hardly Antony fault).

Last edited:

macheda14

As they say here he’s extremely important for us in his off the ball work. He’ll get better on the ball, but he gives us control.

BlueHaze

I reverse the question, what do you suggest the team does? Played Sancho there and 80% moaned and said the same about him, only real option is Garnacho and he is better on the other side!

As for Antony's form having an impact on the team, well, we are on a 5 game winning run in the league so long may that impact continue!

Teja

His passing under pressure is extremely underrated. Does not give up the ball easily.

IMO good finisher, passer, works hard, has trickery but no pace is my evaluation. I think that's more than enough to succeed here.

He could've been a Robben regen with a bit more pace but I think he has other stuff in his locker to compensate.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
One day, I'd like to see us try playing him as sort of an inside wingback with Sancho overlapping and AWB stay behind as a CB in a 3-4-3.

Garnacho-Rashford-Sancho
Malacia-Fred-Casemiro-Antony
Shaw-Varane-AWB
DDG

Those inside shots is dangerous but he doesn't get in those positions enough when he has to keep width.

Big Ray

One day, I'd like to see us try playing him as sort of an inside wingback with Sancho overlapping and AWB stay behind as a CB in a 3-4-3.

Garnacho-Rashford-Sancho
Malacia-Fred-Casemiro-Antony
Shaw-Varane-AWB
DDG

Those inside shots is dangerous but he doesn't get in those positions enough when he has to keep width.
You can’t just drop Lisandro Martinez!! Shaw is playing well now but has been proven to be mentally weak at times. Licha has to start as he is a mentality monster.

Varun

Staff
I've seen him do things at Ajax which I simply haven't seen him doing at United and that has little to do with weaker opposition in the Dutch league. By the way, I need one more like to post in the match day forum so if you would be a darling that would be swell. :)
Done. Lemme know if you're able to reply to posts with media in them or now. Don't think promotion has anything to do with that

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
This guy isn’t it.
I worry you're right. He's one dimensional in the extreme. Defensively sound, but lacks both pace and unpredictability to be a real asset in the final third. He needs to seriously improve his game.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
I'll give him the benefit of doubt as its his first season and ETH has made other players look good.

Hopefully he can coach him too.

Erics_Collar

This isn't some one-footed 17 year old breaking into the first team. He's 23 in a couple of weeks with 150 senior games under his belt and he still can't use his right foot. How has he been allowed get away with it for so long?

mu4c_20le

Dont get the Nani comparisons. Nani scored with his left foot, right foot, his head, beat people for fun and then did it again etc...

This kid just runs around in circles

Status
Not open for further replies.