Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Wow, very impressive analysis based on 2 goals (I don't count the Everton one since it's pretty different).

It may seem insane to you but opponents adjust once they get to know a player. For a player like Antony, they'll leave his weak side more open since he never goes there and will defend the center far more, keepers will also move a step or 2 on the right when they see he has the ball in this position. Then it's up to him to mix his game up to show he has other options in this position.

I'm not saying Antony can't evolve obviously, but the "there's other one footed players that made it to the highest level!" argument is a serious confirmation bias and said players had more options in their toolboxes. There's also plenty of one footed players that failed. The Robben comparison for exemple is ludicrous, Antony will never be Robben, he doesn't have the pace combined with raw power that made Robben almost unstoppable. He'll have to find something else. Maybe he will, maybe he will note, I have no idea but the sure thing is, it'll make the difference between a good player and a great one.
You clearly have not watched him enough if you believe this to be true

TheReligion

Abusive
There's several things to adress here.

First of all, using your weak foot isn't only about shooting or passing, it's also about driving the ball on this weak side, which is something that Antony litteraly never does when he approaches the goal. If he gets the ball on the wing, he'll run towards the center of the pitch almost 100% of the time. Salah or Di Maria found ways to mix up their game, even if it's only 10% of the times. That makes Antony VERY predictable and it won't take long for defenders to adjust if he doesn't evolve.

On top of that, Salah has a weak right foot but still way better than Antony's (at the moment). Di Maria developped a very good outside of the foot pass/shoot on top of being more creative (and sloppier) and Robben was in a whole different category when it comes to raw speed and power. They all found a different "something" to compensate.

Antony obviously has many ways to improve but it's as much a technical issue as it is a mental one, he needs to accept being slightly unconfortable when he drives the ball to the right, otherwise he'll never be able to be a consistant high level threat in the last third.
Antony has improvements to his game to make, sure, but based on what you wrote I’m not really sure that you’ve seen that much of him.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
Antony has improvements to his game to make, sure, but based on what you wrote I’m not really sure that you’ve seen that much of him.
Since he arrived at United, when he approches the right corner of the box with the ball how often do you think he drove the ball to the right side to attack the depth behind the defenders instead of cutting in? The answer is : almost never and I don't even understand how could anyone deny that.

TheReligion

Abusive
Since he arrived at United, when he approches the right corner of the box with the ball how often do you think he drove the ball to the right side to attack the depth behind the defenders instead of cutting in? The answer is : almost never and I don't even understand how could anyone deny that.
He has played football prior to his move to United and for Brazil.

The_Midfielder

He is amazing.. Doesn't lose the ball..even when pressed.. Has good passing.. Good finishing. Defensively sound.. Tracks back.. Presses..
Now he needs to take on the full back more

Red-17

He has played football prior to his move to United and for Brazil.
I don't think it's unfair to critique this given he has played quite a few games for us now. He absolutely does need to try and take the defender down the line when they try and play him on his left foot. Even if it just taking it by the defender just to cut back across him onto the left, that is one of the easiest ways to win a penalty kick.

El-Manos

He needs to run down the wing and use that right foot of his as well. Other than that no complaints. Always seems to be threatening cutting in with that left foot.

Chief123

Is he the most press-resistant player in the squad right now?
From what I’ve seen I’d say yes. Him and Martial.

Especially yesterday there was so many occasions where he was under immense pressure from the full back. Even being doubled up on. Yet he comfortably retained possession and gave a good ball to a team mate which didn’t put the team mate in a difficult situation.

Very clever player with the ball.

Josh 76

As others have noted, he’s brilliant but needs to develop more variety to his game.
He so one footed it’s quiet shocking to see in a professional footballer. Don’t get me wrong, I think he’s awesome, but he needs to work on his right foot. If I was him I would spend a couple of hours each day just smashing it around with his right foot. Like Beckham, and dare I say it, Ronaldo, use to back in the day. Working on weaknesses, when everyone else has gone home, to be the very best.

Chief123

He so one footed it’s quiet shocking to see in a professional footballer. Don’t get me wrong, I think he’s awesome, but he needs to work on his right foot. If I was him I would spend a couple of hours each day just smashing it around with his right foot. Like Beckham, and dare I say it, Ronaldo, use to back in the day. Working on weaknesses, when everyone else has gone home, to be the very best.
Is he any more one footed than Rashford and Martial? I never see either of them use their left foot for a cross or shot.

lex talionis

We’re in all in agreement that he’s an outstanding footballer, but it is shocking how nonexistent his right foot is. If you’re an elite footballer today, you really should be able to cross and shoot with both feet. Not with equal power and accuracy, but with some credibility.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
looks a decent player, been doing well for us. Only concern is that he’s just 1 footed, needs to use his right foot more otherwise opposition players will know exactly what he’s doing. Also needs to know when to shoot and when to pass, he seems to shoot far to often which is probably where the majority of our shots are coming from. Exciting player though and will only get better.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Is he any more one footed than Rashford and Martial? I never see either of them use their left foot for a cross or shot.
I’ve seen rashford quite a few times shoot on his left. Never seen Martial though.

SoCross

The size of his nostrils probably has a relationship to his apparent one footedness.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Is he the most press-resistant player in the squad right now?
I'd still go with Martial given he deals with a lot more bodies on him and is bulkier which helps him fend off pressure on him.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Nope. He isn't anymore one footed than any other top players out there, it's just people sometimes tend to hang on their latest memories. They saw him miss a good chance with his right foot, so they've unconsciously decided that he's one footed.

Most players hardly use their weaker foot and when they use them it isn't as good as their natural foot.

The cries for Antony to work on his right foot are ridiculous.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I’ve seen rashford quite a few times shoot on his left. Never seen Martial though.
And you have seen Antony use his right in limited amount of games

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
Really like his ability not to lose the ball and find short passes.

Good player we brought in, and hopefully will add more to the team.

swissgenius

Nope. He isn't anymore one footed than any other top players out there, it's just people sometimes tend to hang on their latest memories. They saw him miss a good chance with his right foot, so they've unconsciously decided that he's one footed.

Most players hardly use their weaker foot and when they use them it isn't as good as their natural foot.

Huh?
Of course the weak foot isn't as good as the other one, hence the name..
But top players can at least pass, cross or lob a bit, no one said he should be hammering them righties from outside the box.

One of the most one-footed player I've seen in a while. It's no drama but it makes him a little bit too predictable, defenders don't bother covering his outside.
Can't play a simple pass with his right foot.
You can see him beating the full back with a speedy run but since he didn't know what to do with his right foot and couldn't cut inside he had to wait for him to catch up.

Marwood

Yeah Martial has got a decent left foot. He scored away at City with it off the top of my head. Rashford has got worse I'd say as time has gone on.

Also, Martials dribbling technique is all about juggling the ball between right and left.

People are thinking one footed just in terms of shooting and crossing.

It's also about switching the ball between feet, having the balanace and technique to dribble down your weak side.

BarstoolProphet

He also had great opportunity to find a teammate with a cross last match but hit it with his right foot with the strength of a 5-year old and it went out for a goal kick. Really looked like he had never used that foot before. He's brilliant other than that, though. Never loses the ball.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Huh?
Of course the weak foot isn't as good as the other one, hence the name..
But top players can at least pass, cross or lob a bit, no one said he should be hammering them righties from outside the box.

One of the most one-footed player I've seen in a while. It's no drama but it makes him a little bit too predictable, defenders don't bother covering his outside.
Can't play a simple pass with his right foot.
You can see him beating the full back with a speedy run but since he didn't know what to do with his right foot and couldn't cut inside he had to wait for him to catch up.
How often do you see Rashford or Sancho on the right using their left foot to do anything with it. They overly rely on their right foot to do anything be it cutting inside or whatever else. And yes you're being dramatic when you say thing like he can't pass with his right foot. Just because he hasn't attempted to do so doesn't mean he can't complete a simple pass with his right foot.

Most players are predominantly one footed and only use their weaker foot when they have to. Not every player is an Eriksen or Varane. Point me toward all these moments of players like Bruno, Rashford etc using their weaker foot. Heck I can't even recall a moment Bruno using his left foot ever.

swissgenius

How often do you see Rashford or Sancho on the right using their left foot to do anything with it. They overly rely on their right foot to do anything be it cutting inside or whatever else. And yes you're being dramatic when you say thing like he can't pass with his right foot. Just because he hasn't attempted to do so doesn't mean he can't complete a simple pass with his right foot.
I agree that it's more apparent for wingers than for infield players a la Bruno.

But don't you really see the difference between our one-footers Antony/Wan-Bissaka and Martial/Shaw?
Yes 95 % of all players have a strong foot that does most of the work but they're still capable enough that the opponent has to consider covering both sides.
You don't have to cover a right footed cross or shot from Antony, simply because it cannot result into anything dangerous.

No I'm not overdramatic at all regarding his weak foot, he attempted a few passes with his right foot and those were pretty shocking tbh.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
It does feel like a left-footed player who doesn't use his right definitely gets noticed more than a right-footed player who doesn't use his left. It's odd.

Status
Not open for further replies.