Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I know the overreactions are harsh and I do feel he deserves at least a season, but if we're being brutally realistic, at United since 2013 how often has a player actually turned around an average/bad start and eventually justified their price tag? I think of the 52 signings we've made since then you could argue maybe 2/3.
Hang on, are you suggesting he's been average or bad so far? :houllier:

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I thought he had slotted in and played well tbh. I’m not sure what people actually expect from our players at the moment.
Yeah, I thought Casemiro, Antony, Martinez and Eriksen had all fitted in really well to be honest.

arthurka

Wow...
10 over everyone of us has done it but very few in a Lambo. Not the brightest but good at footy

Teja

Yeah, I thought Casemiro, Antony, Martinez and Eriksen had all fitted in really well to be honest.
Yep I agree. It's just that the attack isn't clicking yet for whatever reason. Ronaldo leaving and Martial coming back might help a bit. I think Bruno's been hitting some form as well.

Cathy Ferguson

Hang on, are you suggesting he's been average or bad so far? :houllier:
He has been decent but I was expecting much more and it is obvious that we overpaid at the end of the window.

Martinez and Casemiro have been excellent, Antony needs to step up.

Oldyella

Yep I agree. It's just that the attack isn't clicking yet for whatever reason. Ronaldo leaving and Martial coming back might help a bit. I think Bruno's been hitting some form as well.
I think we can have a good guess why the attack hasn't fully clicked but that's now been resolved, and we can start drilling an attacking unit that doesn't need to accommodate a fading star.

I Am Zlatan

He had been okay/decent the past few games, but we missed him during his injury.. Our form also dropped around that time, not only because of his absent but we still missed him a lot.

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea
I don’t see that at all with Antony in terms of physical qualities.. He may be very quick from stop to start over five yards but he is slow over the next 15-20 yards. He is constantly beating defenders then having that same defender easily catch him again and either push him off the ball or reroute him backwards.

That ability to beat the man initially looks great on highlight videos but is ultimately not that valuable unless you actually do something with the advantage you gain.
Well, the stop/start is the sudden-ness I’m referring to. The fastest player on your team over 100m is probably a defender you wouldn’t think of as being fleet at all. Messi probably isn’t considered fast over 20 yards either, at least not in a straight line foot race. But over 5 yards, when change of direction is involved?

But the game is often decided over those 2 to 6 yard spaces, where change of direction and the heretofore mentioned “sudden” ability come into play.

Tom Brady made careers for slot receivers who had little business even being in the league aside from that trait, and the fact that because of it LB’s and safeties couldn’t stop them from getting to certain spots whenever they wanted.

Now…I believe Antony is fast as well. The problem isnt his legs. He lets his head slow him up: indecision, stopping and letting defenders catch up. But that can improve. The more confidence he gets in that area, the more direct he will be, and the faster he will look. There are, of course, “if’s” in there in terms of his development. But if I were a United fan I’d feel pretty good about his trajectory.

Real Name

This is one of the strangest threads at the cafe and that's says a lot. Posters giving up on him already while he hasn't been nearly as bad..

Dan_F

I’m looking forward to seeing him play with Martial upfront and Rashford on the left. It’s an exciting front three if they click, similar to that season under Ole where we had Greenwood come through on the right, it just feels much more balanced with with a left footer on the right - funny how football is so different now in that regard.

The price tag obviously led to massive expectations which he probably hasn’t hit yet, but I don’t think playing upfront with Ronaldo did him any favours.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I’m looking forward to seeing him play with Martial upfront and Rashford on the left.
Agreed. I think people are under-estimating just how badly it effects the rest of our attackers when we've had a striker (whether Ronaldo or Rashford) who basically has no all-round game and doesn't provide any focus point for our attack to build around. If Martial can stay fit and in form (unfortunately it's a big 'if') it just naturally allows our entire attack to gel together in a way that we haven't had since he was last in form in 19/20. That will hopefully allow Rashford, Antony and Sancho to all step up to the level that they have shown glimpses of previously.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Average for a Brazilian NT winger who scored three goals in his first three starts for United, yeah. Average for that group in particular.

For a 22 year old going from Eredivisie to PL three months ago, I’d guess he’s well above that average.
Average for a United player, yes.

Real Name

People are treating him too harshly based on his price tag and are not realistic. Even Maguire had more leeway despite his steep price.

DutchSerb

Supports
FC Groningen
People are treating him too harshly based on his price tag and are not realistic. Even Maguire had more leeway despite his steep price.
Exactly, although he will never realistically live up to his price tag if everyone keeps being hyperobsessed with the G+A stats. He's played around 450-500 minutes thus far and leads the team in 1v1s vs defenders. That's what we wanted out of a new winger. Someone that can create danger by himself and isn't afraid with the ball in his feet. He also doesn't shy away from defensive work.

Sure he's been "average" but so has our entire team. He scored a banger or two already. He showed he can be class. The team still isn't playing amazing attacking football, we barely blow opponents out, that also reflects in his stats. He's better than Sancho on that right side by miles. People need to give it some time for the team to find a flow on attack and the stats will come. Martial being back will surely help.

Rossa

He’s been a bit hit and miss, but he’s also shown his attributes. He’s got a great left foot, has very good close control, can dribble pretty well, although I am expecting more on that last bit. He was labelled as slow, but he is clearly rapid. I think he has all the attributes and the mentality to succeed. He needs time.

Drifter

American
Let's be honest , he has not been that great, was even a backup player for Brazil. We'll have to wait and see if he justifies the price tag.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
Exactly, although he will never realistically live up to his price tag if everyone keeps being hyperobsessed with the G+A stats. He's played around 450-500 minutes thus far and leads the team in 1v1s vs defenders. That's what we wanted out of a new winger. Someone that can create danger by himself and isn't afraid with the ball in his feet. He also doesn't shy away from defensive work.

Sure he's been "average" but so has our entire team. He scored a banger or two already. He showed he can be class. The team still isn't playing amazing attacking football, we barely blow opponents out, that also reflects in his stats. He's better than Sancho on that right side by miles. People need to give it some time for the team to find a flow on attack and the stats will come. Martial being back will surely help.
I've seen very few posts that are harscher than this statement of facts. Most people posting something "negative" say that he isn't worth the pricetag and that they doubt he'll be an elite player. It's an opinion, like those who think he will be. Nobody said he sucked or was a useless purchase (he isn't).

He's better than what United had, that's for sure but nobody can seriously claim with certainty that "United is set for 10 years", that he is "comparable to Robben at the same age" or that he's "going to be elite".

Litch

Too early for negativity and unfortunately caught up in the negativity surrounding the club.

TheReligion

Abusive
I've seen very few posts that are harscher than this statement of facts. Most people posting something "negative" say that he isn't worth the pricetag and that they doubt he'll be an elite player. It's an opinion, like those who think he will be. Nobody said he sucked or was a useless purchase (he isn't).

He's better than what United had, that's for sure but nobody can seriously claim with certainty that "United is set for 10 years", that he is "comparable to Robben at the same age" or that he's "going to be elite".
This is true although I don’t think anyone can claim for certainty that he won’t be those things either.

Essentially it’s far too early to make such a judgement on the player.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Shat the bed a few times with his passing, killing off a couple of good counter attacks, but I thought his movement, work rate and defensive contribution were all very good.

Needs to play himself into a bit of form, but I think there's plenty of reason to think he'll come good.

BorisManUtd

Not his night at all. He was very important for us until his injury back in October so not like he played like this back then.

El Jefe

It seems a lot of posters over the last two pages before today's game had problems understanding the criticism Antony was receiving. Hopefully today's performance can open some eyes.

Not saying he has no chance here but I'm yet to see a player that gives indication that he can be top class in this league. His offensive game has so many flaws in my opinion. We were definitely ripped off and most of us knew that already but my bigger issue is his skillset.

In saying that he still has time on his side.

Eddy_JukeZ

Really poor performance.

Hopefully he picks it up. If we wasted almost 200 mil on 2 duds(Sancho and Antony), that'd be annoying.

Superunknown

He comes across as a bit of a wimp. That moment in the first half where he got mugged off the ball after tracking back was painful to watch. He should have scored in the second half, too.

DevTheRed

Was pretty bad tonight. Still think he’ll come good though.. Ten Hag hasn’t got much wrong.

Nero

I predict in 12 months once he's fully settled and turning it on we'll be getting the cliches like 'I hold my hands up' and 'I admit i was wrong'.

Status
Not open for further replies.