5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

RuudTom83

I have no problem with fans wanting more from him, but let’s stick to using pounds!

He is an 84 million pound player! don’t beat him over the head with the euro figure!

Slik

Anthony has been good. He has brought balance and has helped the right side to be more solid defensively as well. He plays how Ten Hag wants. He could be a bit more direct and that could come later on. But so far he has been a 6-7 out 10. You guys should stop this. You keep on hating and putting pressure on marque signings till the pressure eventually affects their game. He hasn’t been an arjen robben level player or a game changer , but he has helped the team to be more stable and that’s why we are doing much better overall now after our rocky start. And the best part is he is still getting to grips with the premier league and still developing more chemistry with team mates. So he will be even better as time goes on. But so far so good.

EtH

I'm always hopeful when we get a new signing, but he (mr 7 goals in a full eredivisie season) was nothing special over here either. Too bad my voice got drowned in the massive heap of ajax fanboys. I'm fine with labeling him a flop. Should have done it sooner with Donny.
This is a bit of a mad take. Antony’s overall play was key for Ajax under ten Hag. And he is still very young with plenty of potential for improvement. It is disconcerting to see him playing so timidly lately but labelling him a flop and comparing him to DvB already is ridiculous.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
This is a bit of a mad take. Antony’s overall play was key for Ajax under ten Hag. And he is still very young with plenty of potential for improvement. It is disconcerting to see him playing so timidly lately but labelling him a flop and comparing him to DvB already is ridiculous.
As was Pasveer's ability on the ball, Klaassen's (or donny's) penetrating runs, alvarez's ability to break up play, etc None of these players are united material. I didnt rate him at Ajax either. He had some talent I'd file in the 20 million punt category (like Bergwijn at the time). There was always a high likelyhood he'd flop (like i said 7 goals in a shit league where he had a lot of invisible games the ajax fans here omitted).

He'll most likely be the flop he's looking to be considering his history.

Dov

As was Pasveer's ability on the ball, Klaassen's (or donny's) penetrating runs, alvarez's ability to break up play, etc None of these players are united material. I didnt rate him at Ajax either. He had some talent I'd file in the 20 million punt category (like Bergwijn at the time). There was always a high likelyhood he'd flop (like i said 7 goals in a shit league where he had a lot of invisible games the ajax fans here omitted).

8 goals 4 assists in 23 games is a very solid tally when you consider the fact his role was to hold the right flank and not as a runner, also was good in CL

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
Finally it's a relief to come into this thread and see some balanced posts today regarding Antony as I usually dread coming in and reading all the negativity.

Antony seems to have become the new whipping boy when in reality he's done reasonably well and nowhere near looking like a flop.

We all know we have paid around 25-30m more than this worth as he should have been Raphina or Richardson money. However left footed right wingers are very rare these days and nearly all of us wanted Utd to purchase him.

I've been pleasantly surprised by his goal output as usually new players take time on that coming into this league and his previous scoring record is not particularly high.

I am slightly disappointed at his lack of take ons and especially on the outside. Whilst his lack of assists can also be linked with us not having a focal point number 9. However I think he can and will improve on that.

I think the biggest issue with our fans who are hating on Antony are the ones who watched a few YouTube videos and assumed we were getting a prime Robben or Nani due to the tricks be displayed. I think they are more disappointed in their judgement being wrong as they would have clamoured for this signing in the summer.

The second issue is we have a lot of covert fans on this forum masquerading as Utd fans and some of the negativity is coming from there.
Good post

TheGame

He's had half a fecking season here FFS! To label him a flop is just plain ridicoulous.

Real Name

I'm always hopeful when we get a new signing, but he (mr 7 goals in a full eredivisie season) was nothing special over here either. Too bad my voice got drowned in the massive heap of ajax fanboys. I'm fine with labeling him a flop. Should have done it sooner with Donny.
Thank you for this.

JuriM

Sorry, you are the flop of this forum.

OmarUnited4ever

Plenty of attackers are not prolific goal scorers, yet they still manage to be a key part of a successful team(s), B.Silva scored only 8 goals in a full league 1 season in 2016/2017 where his team, Monaco clinched the title, in recent years Pep used him as CM in a lot of games but when he is played in an attacking position, like RW, his goal return is quite low too, but he is still an important cog in Pep's machine.

For me it is not about a simple goal/assist return, what matters the most for Antony is that he needs to significantly improve all aspects in his game and apply himself during matches.

Chairman Steve

He’s done fine in my opinion. Worry if we’re seeing no progression a year from now.

I still remember the likes of Stam, Vidic and Evra looking pretty ordinary and some slight buyer’s remorse creeping in during their first months too. Not everyone hits the ground running like Bruno.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Why are you people so desperate to label a player a flop?

Do you want validation that your opinion is superior or something? it's frankly very odd.

No he hasn't set the world alight, but he hasn't been awful either. Sure we overpaid but so have a lot of clubs in the past and will do in the future. That's how it is sometimes.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
He’s done fine in my opinion. Worry if we’re seeing no progression a year from now.

I still remember the likes of Stam, Vidic and Evra looking pretty ordinary and some slight buyer’s remorse creeping in during their first months too. Not everyone hits the ground running like Bruno.
There's is overpaying like how people keep pretending we overpaid by 20 million and there's overpaying in Maguire orders of magnitude (Antony is a 20m punt we overspent on by 400%)

Plenty of attackers are not prolific goal scorers, yet they still manage to be a key part of a successful team(s), B.Silva scored only 8 goals in a full league 1 season in 2016/2017 where his team, Monaco clinched the title, in recent years Pep used him as CM in a lot of games but when he is played in an attacking position, like RW, his goal return is quite low too, but he is still an important cog in Pep's machine.

For me it is not about a simple goal/assist return, what matters the most for Antony is that he needs to significantly improve all aspects in his game and apply himself during matches.
I agree, and Antony was important at times and dead invisible at others.
8 goals 4 assists in 23 games is a very solid tally when you consider the fact his role was to hold the right flank and not as a runner, also was good in CL
He was also absolute crap in some European games (actually, most of the Europa League games. Absolutely dreadful against Lille) as well. In no universe is that a good tally in the eredivisie. Defending here is a joke. Forwards like Weghorst, Jansen, De Jong, Memphis, Malen, Jahanbakhsh have all been able to get over 20 goals if not 30, even if there entire game isn't predicated on being a goal machine.

Bergwijn was also known as the "creative type" over here and got 15 at least, even while playing many games off the right where he can't cut inside to shoot with his favoured foot.

The best midfielder in the league right now has 6 goals and an assist, in 14 games playing from the double pivot.

Not being able to score a ton of goals in the Eredivisie is a red flag and a player like that is by definition a gamble. Anything exceeding 20-25 million is bizarre.

Why are you people so desperate to label a player a flop?

Do you want validation that your opinion is superior or something? it's frankly very odd.

No he hasn't set the world alight, but he hasn't been awful either. Sure we overpaid but so have a lot of clubs in the past and will do in the future. That's how it is sometimes.
How am I "desperate"? I'm just giving my opinion (and venting a bit). It's a forum ffs.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
There's is overpaying like how people keep pretending we overpaid by 20 million and there's overpaying in Maguire orders of magnitude (Antony is a 20m punt we overspent on by 400%)

I agree, and Antony was important at times and dead invisible at others.

He was also absolute crap in some European games (actually, most of the Europa League games. Absolutely dreadful against Lille) as well. In no universe is that a good tally in the eredivisie. Defending here is a joke. Forwards like Weghorst, Jansen, De Jong, Memphis, Malen, Jahanbakhsh have all been able to get over 20 goals if not 30, even if there entire game isn't predicated on being a goal machine.

Bergwijn was also known as the "creative type" over here and got 15 at least, even while playing many games off the right where he can't cut inside to shoot with his favoured foot.

The best midfielder in the league right now has 6 goals and an assist, in 14 games playing from the double pivot.

Not being able to score a ton of goals in the Eredivisie is a red flag and a player like that is by definition a gamble. Anything exceeding 20-25 million is bizarre.

How am I "desperate"? I'm just giving my opinion (and venting a bit). It's a forum ffs.
In Antony's defence he's probably better than current Jahanbakhsh. If not as good as peak Jahanbakhsh :wenger:

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
20m would struggle to buy you a young player in the championship nowadays.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
That's a bit of a stretch. Danjuma went for 20m from the championship to villareal.

Eredivisie fees aren't that high. Calvin Stengs went for 15m euro. Had some skill, also scored 7 goals or whatever in a full season. He's very similar.

Bergwijn went for 30 and Ziyech 40 but the latter two were far more accomplished than Antony or Stengs.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
That's a bit of a stretch. Danjuma went for 20m from the championship to villareal.

Eredivisie fees aren't that high. Calvin Stengs went for 15m euro. Had some skill, also scored 7 goals or whatever in a full season. He's very similar.

Bergwijn went for 30 and Ziyech 40 but the latter two were far more accomplished than Antony or Stengs.
Stengs has scored 1 league goal in 38 league games since he left Holland. Antony already has 3 in 8. Very similar alright. :lol:

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Stengs has scored 1 league goal in 38 league games since he left Holland. Antony already has 3 in 8. Very similar alright. :lol:
They are the same profile of player. Left footed wingers that love to play on the right, cut inside and have an eye for a through ball. Both are creative and not exactly goal machines. They were putting up similar numbers in the Eredivisie (Antony's are a bit better now that I've looked them up)

apps G A
32 9 8 Anto
30 7 5 Stengs

He's obviously a bit better but it doesn't merit a 85 million price increase, let alone a 50 million one.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
We weren’t buying him for last season. We are buying him for the player the manager thinks he can become over the length of his contract. The manager also knows that he has a good attitude and really wanted to play for him instead of coming here and putting the feet up like far too many others before him. I’ve no worries about this lad. If he can get up to ten goals a season and pulls the opposition attention over to the right and works hard then hes doing his role well. Beyond that he still also easily become a monster player.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
We weren’t buying him for last season. We are buying him for the player the manager thinks he can become over the length of his contract. The manager also knows that he has a good attitude and really wanted to play for him instead of coming here and putting the feet up like far too many others before him. I’ve no worries about this lad. If he can get up to ten goals a season and pulls the opposition attention over to the right and works hard then hes doing his role well. Beyond that he still also easily become a monster player.
I think you're drawing the wrong conclusion, ie ETH thinks Antony is a genius player that is worth a 100 million (eventually) or whatever.

But rather, ETH knew Antony could do the job and he doesn't trust the garbage scouting we have that is recommending shit like Maguire. The fee isn't his problem. That part has always been the technical director (DoF ?) purview wherever he's worked.

If you don't trust the club's scouting you're gonna stay in the Eredivisie (like he has done: Malacia, Martinez, Eriksen, Arnautovic etc etc) and Antony was pretty much the only one there with some semblance of skill for that position.

FFS, we're still looking into Memphis and Weghorst, probably because ETH is a fan of the Dutch NT, knows them and still doesn't rate our scouting.

I think this explains the absurd fee better than the idea that ETH is classic English style manager that think's Antony is worth every penny.

zaafi

20m punt :lol: Have you forgotten he is considered one of the top attacking talents in the world? Jack Grealish, Coutinho and Lukaku went for more than Antony.
I agree we overpaid, but to say he's a 20m punt is absolutely ridiculous.

You talk about his performances in Europa League in 20/21 season (which was his first year for Ajax) to back up your opinion, but leave out his most recent Champions League performances, where he scored 2 goals and had 4 assists in 7 matches and also single-handedly obliterated Dortmund. Why do you believe his Europa League 20/21 performances matter more than his Champions League 21/22 performances when it comes to judging the player?
Furthermore, you're saying his stats for Ajax are bad and then list a bunch of strikers that managed to score many goals. There is a very big difference between a striker and a right winger that hugs the touchline. I'm pretty sure he could've scored more goals if Ten Hag (for Ajax) asked him to occupy central areas more, but that would also be wasting his abilities and ruining Ajax's game plan.

In his last 365 days for Ajax before joining United, he was in the 99th percentile for assists and 95th percentile for expected assists. He was also very much involved in Ajax's attacking play and had 11.60 progressive carries per 90 which puts him in the 98th percentile and Dembele-like numbers. He has also carried on his ability to find space in attacking areas from Ajax, which he now shows for United. He could've scored more goals, but has been unlucky with finishing.
To get the absolute best out of Antony, we also need a striker that we seem to be getting now in Weghorst. His crossing is one of his best abilities as well and you could see him and Haller had a great understanding. With Martial up top, crossing is essentially pointless.

What is even more ridiculous than the notion that he's not worth more than 20m, is the fact that he has played a total 9 matches for United and you're all over him saying he's a flop. Let me ask you a question. Do you believe you know Antony's abilities better than Ten Hag, Casemiro, Tite, any scout, or his Brazilian team members? I understand if he hasn't showed anything in a year, but 8 matches in Premier League. And he's even scored 3 goals in those matches! It seems you're completely obsessed with the transfer fee. Why do you even care? Are you afraid of your colleagues or friends making fun of your favorite team wasting money on players that don't instantly deliver?

The only bizarre thing here is that statement. 22 year old right winger and an international for Brazil for 20-25m. In a world where Morgan Gibbs-White goes for 50m with add-ons.

bosniamanutd

wish sancho come back soon. antony is not a real threat for opponents but i hope he would improve over time.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
20m punt :lol: Have you forgotten he is considered one of the top attacking talents in the world? Jack Grealish, Coutinho and Lukaku went for more than Antony.
I agree we overpaid, but to say he's a 20m punt is absolutely ridiculous.

You talk about his performances in Europa League in 20/21 season (which was his first year for Ajax) to back up your opinion, but leave out his most recent Champions League performances, where he scored 2 goals and had 4 assists in 7 matches and also single-handedly obliterated Dortmund. Why do you believe his Europa League 20/21 performances matter more than his Champions League 21/22 performances when it comes to judging the player?
Furthermore, you're saying his stats for Ajax are bad and then list a bunch of strikers that managed to score many goals. There is a very big difference between a striker and a right winger that hugs the touchline. I'm pretty sure he could've scored more goals if Ten Hag (for Ajax) asked him to occupy central areas more, but that would also be wasting his abilities and ruining Ajax's game plan.

In his last 365 days for Ajax before joining United, he was in the 99th percentile for assists and 95th percentile for expected assists. He was also very much involved in Ajax's attacking play and had 11.60 progressive carries per 90 which puts him in the 98th percentile and Dembele-like numbers. He has also carried on his ability to find space in attacking areas from Ajax, which he now shows for United. He could've scored more goals, but has been unlucky with finishing.
To get the absolute best out of Antony, we also need a striker that we seem to be getting now in Weghorst. His crossing is one of his best abilities as well and you could see him and Haller had a great understanding. With Martial up top, crossing is essentially pointless.

What is even more ridiculous than the notion that he's not worth more than 20m, is the fact that he has played a total 9 matches for United and you're all over him saying he's a flop. Let me ask you a question. Do you believe you know Antony's abilities better than Ten Hag, Casemiro, Tite, any scout, or his Brazilian team members? I understand if he hasn't showed anything in a year, but 8 matches in Premier League. And he's even scored 3 goals in those matches! It seems you're completely obsessed with the transfer fee. Why do you even care? Are you afraid of your colleagues or friends making fun of your favorite team wasting money on players that don't instantly deliver?

The only bizarre thing here is that statement. 22 year old right winger and an international for Brazil for 20-25m. In a world where Morgan Gibbs-White goes for 50m with add-ons.
I agree with you that he was fantastic against Dortmund and had some very good games. Some of your other arguments, like the fact that he's a Brazilian international (so is Fred) or that he's rated by people (like how Donny made the ballon dor shortlist) I dont really care for.

"In his last 365 days for Ajax before joining United, he was in the 99th percentile for assists and 95th percentile for expected assists. He was also very much involved in Ajax's attacking play and had 11.60 progressive carries per 90 which puts him in the 98th percentile and Dembele-like numbers."

It's the Eredivisie, mate. It makes for interesting sounding numbers to put in "the athletic" articles, but you cannot compare an ajax forward's chances created/assist tally to others from superior leagues. Eredivisie is dog shit and ajax/feyenoord/psv smacking small fish 6-0 are a common occurrence.

The entire Ajax team was sensational in last year's group stages. I saw Berghuis create 2 chances and not misplace a single pass in the first half in one of their earliest games. He's United material now?

mu4c_20le

To be fair, Ajax paid 18m for him. I think the idea is that we should be making those kinds of punts, rather than getting rinsed by the Ajaxs and Dortmunds.

We wouldn't be anywhere near this deal of ETH hadn't insisted, and it's tied our hands in the market.

Bondi77

To be fair, Ajax paid 18m for him. I think the idea is that we should be making those kinds of punts, rather than getting rinsed by the Ajaxs and Dortmunds.

We wouldn't be anywhere near this deal of ETH hadn't insisted, and it's tied our hands in the market.
I don't know why we do not have scouts in South America watching players all the time.
It is ridiculous that players like Enzo and Antony can command such fees between European clubs when they are signed for peanuts coming from South America.
We should sign them in the first place and loan them out and our club would have to be a huge attraction to a young South American coming to Europe for the first time.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
I don't know why we do not have scouts in South America watching players all the time.
It is ridiculous that players like Enzo and Antony can command such fees between European clubs when they are signed for peanuts coming from South America.
We should sign them in the first place and loan them out and our club would have to be a huge attraction to a young South American coming to Europe for the first time.
We do, and hopefully we'll see us act on it earlier going forward after being interested in both Enzo and Caciedo who are now rated much higher than when we were interested. You've then also obviously got Antony who we bought not long after his switch from Brazil.

glasgow 21

The negativity on Antony is wrong. The lad didnt set the price . He was never going to be below 50-60 million in any current market. It says more about our transfer committee who still can't seem to get deals done without a saga. Ten hag was coming for months yet our transfer team sat on their hands whilst german team weakened Ajax and made our dip into their team much more difficult. Antony is and will provide much more to our team than being given credit for. He has 3 goals same as our main striker so don't see why he is getting flak so early in his days here.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Antony scored another banger today but, honestly, a bit like Sancho's early season performances, take away the goals and its a bit meh.

I really don't like the way he receives the ball. Always feels fully square on to the play, rather than in stride ready to attack the full back. For £80m+ I'm not particularly impressed at the moment. If you ask me his best performance this season was in the World Cup for Brazil against Croatia.

Chip

Great goal. A bit of Robben about his cutting inside and finishing. But his lack of a right foot limits him so much as there is absolutely no threat of him going outside and crossing.

Ludens the Red

This complete refusal to use his right foot is just getting stupid now. In the 42nd minute he was on the byline down the right with players in the box and he still didn’t cross the ball with his right and completely gave the chance up. You’re a professional footballer for christ sake. Use your weaker foot once in a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.