Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
Some comments are ridiculous. I once told my arsenal supporting friend that Saka would develop into a very good player when he was still in the academy. I know Antony has even more potential… he has scored the exact same goal Saka scored on the weekend a few times himself(against none other than Man City). Van der sar said they didn’t want to sell Antony because they felt he could develop into a world class player.
Well if you once told your mate that then you really must be right, because you "just know. "

Anyway, please address your laughable comments about Mahrez - which were clearly wrong and demonstrates that you have no idea what you are talking about.

Mr PG

Antony will get exponential improvement when he gets stronger and also learns to use the right foot. Garnacho will also get better as he gets stronger… and of course we’re waiting to find out about Sancho 2.0. We have 3 wingers that most clubs would only dream of

Pronewbie

Peep
I'd rather he works on his dribbling speed than his left foot to be honest. That's the biggest, most urgent weakness in his game right now. Futsal dribbling isn't good enough.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
Antony will get exponential improvement when he gets stronger and also learns to use the right foot. Garnacho will also get better as he gets stronger… and of course we’re waiting to find out about Sancho 2.0. We have 3 wingers that most clubs would only dream of
How do you reckon they stack up against Leicester's Mahrez before he signed for City?

You know, the same Mahrez that you said was skinny and barely played*?

* 128 games in all comps, for 41 goals and 30 assists across three seasons leading up to his transfer. Including winning POTY two seasons before his move.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
From someone who absolutely understands talent. Antony is a bigger natural talent than both Sancho and Saka. Antony and Sancho are both better natural talents than Saka but they're not as strong. The good thing is they're still young enough to add that to their game the way Rashford has and I believe they'll be frightening players.

A good blueprint is Mahrez. When he arrived at city he was a skinny guy who barely played. Second season he looked a lot stronger and look at him now.
Give this man a tagline!!

Irwin99

The lack of assists/chance creation is the most worrying aspect of his game for me. I think he has enough pace to beat a lot of full backs, we just haven't seen much of it yet.

Mr PG

The manager rates him which is enough for me. People are exaggerating how poor both Sancho and Antony have been. They were both two of our best players before the world cup and Antony has struggled since then but lets be honest...that Saka goal against us Antony has scored the same goal twice this season.

Waynne

Every day I hope and pray that he comes good like Rashford has because a fit and firing front 3 of Sancho, Rashford and Antony could do major damage.

how_giroud

Supports
Arsenal
Some comments are ridiculous. I once told my arsenal supporting friend that Saka would develop into a very good player when he was still in the academy. I know Antony has even more potential… he has scored the exact same goal Saka scored on the weekend a few times himself(against none other than Man City). Van der sar said they didn’t want to sell Antony because they felt he could develop into a world class player.
Antony may still develop into a good player but mate, if he goes on to have a better premier league career than Saka, I want you to find this post, quote it, and I promise you I will get a tattoo of Antony right on my arse. Hell, I'll even get another one on the other cheek so it looks like he's doing his spin move while I'm dancing.

Of course van der Sar is gonna say that - he was trying to get the best price for the player he could!! What else would he say - "yeah, this guy is just pretty good?"

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
The manager rates him which is enough for me. People are exaggerating how poor both Sancho and Antony have been. They were both two of our best players before the world cup and Antony has struggled since then but lets be honest...that Saka goal against us Antony has scored the same goal twice this season.
I thought you were the guy that definitely knows talent when you see it, because you once made that comment to your mate.

Anyway, how do you reckon they stack up against Leicester's Mahrez before he signed for City?

* 128 games in all comps, for 41 goals and 30 assists across three seasons leading up to his transfer. Including winning POTY two seasons before his move.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
How do you reckon they stack up against Leicester's Mahrez before he signed for City?

He's nowhere near Mahrez levels for sure.

NLunited

This guy gives off a vibe of immaturity and carelessness. I trust in Ten Hag so I expect he will come good.

mancsarered

This guy gives off a vibe of immaturity and carelessness. I trust in Ten Hag so I expect he will come good.
I have definitely agreed with you at times; he radiates dressing room nightmare, but the fact that Ten Hag has history with him and chose to bring him here and help build his project tells me I'm wrong. If anyone puts character at the top of the list, it's ETH.

Think he just needs time to get better and adopt his game to this level, and with better performances will come better vibes.

Bondi77

Not sure what you've been smoking mate. Antony isn't a better natural anything compared to Saka.

What are you even basing this on other than blinkered bias towards a player who plays for us. There's absolutely no way on earth you'd say this if Saka played for us and Antony played for Arsenal.
I put up a post ages ago and said that if Antony was worth 85mil than Saka would be worth 200mil and this board was in shock horror!

wangyu

So far a huge flop. He can’t outrun his opponents, he doesn’t cross, he doesn’t dribble.
The only thing he does is cutting inside to very mixed results.

Garnacho on the left is constantly attacking his opponent and he didn’t cost 90million. If only Rashford would be effective on the right, then we would have been settled for this season at least.

zaafi

Maybe we should have better scouts then.
Mahrez wasn't half as good as Antony is now when playing for Le Havre. Not every player follow identical development trajectory. Mahrez is world class now but wasn't even considered a talent back in his days. Let's give Antony some time yeah? He needs to bulk up like Mahrez did anyway.

Davie Moyes

I have definitely agreed with you at times; he radiates dressing room nightmare, but the fact that Ten Hag has history with him and chose to bring him here and help build his project tells me I'm wrong. If anyone puts character at the top of the list, it's ETH.

Think he just needs time to get better and adopt his game to this level, and with better performances will come better vibes.
I'm not sure about the dressing room nightmare stuff. He's an emotional guy and also works his arse off on the pitch. Seems quite similar to Bruno in that respect. For all we know they could love him.

Antony also plays too safe at the moment. When players don't bring their better placed teammates into play is when players get frustrated.

GoonerGirly

Supports
Arsenal
Mahrez wasn't half as good as Antony is now when playing for Le Havre. Not every player follow identical development trajectory. Mahrez is world class now but wasn't even considered a talent back in his days. Let's give Antony some time yeah? He needs to bulk up like Mahrez did anyway.
People have little patience for Antony as he's your 2nd most expensive signing ever. For £86mil I don't think it's unfair to say he's been pretty disappointing. I'm sure ETH himself probably expects more.
Seeing as we're comparing to Mahrez, Leicester paid £400,000 for him when he was 22 and ended up selling him to City for £60mil. Goes to show that being "considered a talent" doesn't always mean anything.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
What's happened to United fans? the kids been here 5 months and already written him off. He's in his early 20's in the hardest league in the world.

Sure he has to improve on some things, but it's not been a total nightmare. Once the penny drops for him he will be a fanastic player i'm sure of it.

Doracle

What's happened to United fans? the kids been here 5 months and already written him off. He's in his early 20's in the hardest league in the world.

Sure he has to improve on some things, but it's not been a total nightmare. Once the penny drops for him he will be a fanastic player i'm sure of it.
It’s the fee. Had we brought him in for £20 million, the reaction would be very different and he’d be getting a lot of praise for his goals etc. As it is, understandably, people were expecting one of the most expensive players in history to be immediately world class, and he isn’t that.

However, that isn’t his fault and I think expectations just have to change. The reality is that he’s a fairly raw 22 year old settling into the premier league. I personally think he’s done ok so far but there are obviously concerns about his limitations.

GoonerGirly

Supports
Arsenal
It’s the fee. Had we brought him in for £20 million, the reaction would be very different and he’d be getting a lot of praise for his goals etc. As it is, understandably, people were expecting one of the most expensive players in history to be immediately world class, and he isn’t that.
I also think the fact you spent almost as much on Sancho the summer before has left people with very little patience. Two wingers for over £150mil and both look massively overpriced so far.

romufc

Its because he is the type to rile up opponents in the wrong way. I think he has done ok, he has come into a team that was allergic to using the RW to attack.

We need to find the balance and get him involved in attacking play more.

He also needs to improve on his decision making, he seems to shoot from everywhere.

Stacks

Mahrez had only playd 67 first team appearances when he left Le Havre. The definition of inexperienced. For comparison, Mason Greenwood has played 129 first team games.

acnumber9

However, that isn’t his fault and I think expectations just have to change. The reality is that he’s a fairly raw 22 year old settling into the premier league. I personally think he’s done ok so far but there are obviously concerns about his limitations.
Even a £20m player should be capable of creating chances.

flappyjay

Daniel James stats in his 1st season in a worse team are better but he was still called out despite being cheap. Its not about the price. Its the fact that we have a winger who is currently not adding anything to creating chances. This definitely impacts our ability to score goals.

ayushreddevil9

Definitely not the fee. He is all round shite.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
It has nothing to do with the fee. It's just his demeanor. If a cnut like him does well for your team you look through it, if he doesn't it becomes annoying quickly. I see the same moans on here when Bruno has a bad game. Diving and shitty antics are fine if you couple them with brilliant passes and goals. If you don't it's just lame.

I know I'm basically a caricature in my dislike for the guy at this point, but even the biggest Antony fan in the world can hardly deny the guy isn't the most likable guy to ever walk on the pitch. That's why he's an easy (and quick) target I think.

ayushreddevil9

This forum pretends that Daniel James doesn't exist. Price is not the issue.
Same for Telles. He's the only RW in the squad and if he is putting in crap performances every time then he will get the stick. I hope he turns it around soon.

Mr PG

I thought you were the guy that definitely knows talent when you see it, because you once made that comment to your mate.

Anyway, how do you reckon they stack up against Leicester's Mahrez before he signed for City?

I meant Mahrez barely played his first season at City. Anyway now that the manager backs up my view on Antony (I said he hasn't been as bad as people are making out to be)...maybe I'll get a few mea cuplas coming my way...lol

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
It has nothing to do with the fee. It's just his demeanor. If a cnut like him does well for your team you look through it, if he doesn't it becomes annoying quickly. I see the same moans on here when Bruno has a bad game. Diving and shitty antics are fine if you couple them with brilliant passes and goals. If you don't it's just lame.

I know I'm basically a caricature in my dislike for the guy at this point, but even the biggest Antony fan in the world can hardly deny the guy isn't the most likable guy to ever walk on the pitch. That's why he's an easy (and quick) target I think.
United and annoying players sometimes go together perfectly, it's just usually it was opponents the annoyed ones.

redIndianDevil

I don't think he has what it takes to play as a RM. While he does have the engine to play that role, his acceleration and pace is nowhere near enough for the PL. He can track back and support his fullback in defence but he contributes to nothing in the attack as he doesn't have the pace to get back up the pitch in time. And I'm not basing this on him getting out ran by Partey. All season he is struggling due to his lack of pace.

His crossing or shooting is nothing to write home about as well. All he has is curling finesse shot, but its not going to work always. Basically we have got a Valencia without the pace or the strength.

Status
Not open for further replies.