5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bondi77

Think this shows the fans need to lay off a bit.

Clearly it's been effecting him and he's reading the negativity. Some people can't help but read it.

For Case to come put so publicly defending him and supporting him, it wouldn't surprise me if Antony is over playing trying to prove people wrong, and that is actually detrimental.

Sancho is probably suffering from a similar issue. I know people will say "snowflakes" but when you're being sent thousands of "you're shit leave my club" messages, that can't be nice.
Probably was the same for Daniel James and currently Elanga and Harry.

Bondi77

It wouldn't have helped, that is for sure but that is what happens at top level sport.
It is tough at the top.

crossy1686

career ending

Clearly it's been effecting him and he's reading the negativity. Some people can't help but read it.

For Case to come put so publicly defending him and supporting him, it wouldn't surprise me if Antony is over playing trying to prove people wrong, and that is actually detrimental.

Sancho is probably suffering from a similar issue. I know people will say "snowflakes" but when you're being sent thousands of "you're shit leave my club" messages, that can't be nice.
Honestly, if you're in the public eye as much as these lads are and you're on social media, you need your head checking. They're only using it to pickup girls, it's not worth the abuse.

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
Honestly, if you're in the public eye as much as these lads are and you're on social media, you need your head checking. They're only using it to pickup girls, it's not worth the abuse.
Think about it.

The vast majority of players who reach the top have had praise heaped upon them since they were fecking toddlers.

They've grown accustomed to it. They depend on it. Now, they fulfill their dream and suddenly they are told not to listen to what this much larger audience has to say. The compliments still hit home, but the criticism stings.

Are they mature enough to say no to social media? To the highs of potential praise?

What were you like when you were 23?

crossy1686

career ending
Think about it.

The vast majority of players who reach the top have had praise heaped upon them since they were fecking toddlers.

They've grown accustomed to it. They depend on it. Now, they fulfill their dream and suddenly they are told not to listen to what this much larger audience has to say. The compliments still hit home, but the criticism stings.

Are they mature enough to say no to social media? To the highs of potential praise?

Personally, I've never really give a feck about what people I don't know think about me but then again my parents didn't give a feck so I wasn't about to care about the rest of the world.

Davie Moyes

You can see with AWB now playing more like Mazraoui Antony is linking up better. Just wait for him to deliver those crosses to Weghorst like he did for Haller.
Thanks for posting the vid. I've seen this before we signed him but watching it again he seems to be playing very much like he is now, except things were coming off for him at Ajax. There are skills and tricks but not your typical swashbuckling wing play. The very one footedness is apparent there including checking back, as is the reluctance to take on defenders.

This reinforces to me that most of our fanbase including me had the wrong impression of the type of player we were getting. We saw his skills and flicks and assumed we were getting this on top of your typical pacy winger who can blast past defenders.

Rather than people admit he's different to what they wrongly thought instead they are using that to bash him. As others have said above he seems to be a wide playmaker rather than a winger.

crossy1686

career ending
I'd wager football players are less secure than you
Possibly, I think the praise is probably like a drug to begin with and I bet their managers insist on the social media accounts for 'brand recognition'. It's madness to be handling it yourself though, they should only care about what their fellow professionals are saying about them, not LUHG_dave69 thinks on Twitter.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Think about it.

It's a double edged sword really.

You're praised like a god when it goes well, and treated like sub human scum when it goes bad.

He's probably never had this level of criticism before. As far as I know he was good in Brazil, then all went well at Ajax.

Maybe this is the first time he's ever been under such a huge microscope and being abused by his new club fans is probably difficult to deal with.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Personally, I've never really give a feck about what people I don't know think about me but then again my parents didn't give a feck so I wasn't about to care about the rest of the world.
You can walk down the street and nobody knows you from Adam, when they do it might be on the national news!

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting

You're praised like a god when it goes well, and treated like sub human scum when it goes bad.

He's probably never had this level of criticism before. As far as I know he was good in Brazil, then all went well at Ajax.

Maybe this is the first time he's ever been under such a huge microscope and being abused by his new club fans is probably difficult to deal with.
Well put.

I think most fans forget that the players they support are not really normal.

crossy1686

career ending
You can walk down the street and nobody knows you from Adam, when they do it might be on the national news!
I get that but they also live in a bubble where they’re protected from that level of invasion so it’s not something they regularly do. Don’t get me wrong, I’d probably have the occasional look on socials if I played well but I wouldn’t (and I rarely use socials now) be doom scrolling for hours if I’d played badly or well. There’s a million other things I’d rather do with my time like be at training, taking free kicks, or playing PlayStation. Whatever, it’s just a poor use of time even if it’s all about me and positive.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
I get that but they also live in a bubble where they’re protected from that level of invasion so it’s not something they regularly do. Don’t get me wrong, I’d probably have the occasional look on socials if I played well but I wouldn’t (and I rarely use socials now) be doom scrolling for hours if I’d played badly or well. There’s a million other things I’d rather do with my time like be at training, taking free kicks, or playing PlayStation. Whatever, it’s just a poor use of time even if it’s all about me and positive.
This is my level of social media, won't get me on FB, Twitter etc!!

I'm sure they don't read it but you can bet your boots someone tells them the overall picture and the other players will be aware of it as well, I'm pretty sure Casemiro is, given his reaction when he scored the first yesterday

Newtonius

Fans in the stadium are generally supportive at least and it should never discourage people from speaking their mind in places such as this, if players go out of their way to read what is supposed to be segregated fan discourse then it is what it is play better nobody asked them to do so.

I gather this isn't what you mean though more the dickheads who go directly to their social media and shit on their doorsteep, oppo fans i get its 'funny' banter but will never understand ours doing it think its disgusting and ultimately self defeating. Agree completely that it has nothing to do with being sensitive or not if you are a public figure the internet will always grind you down eventually even with a thick skin our brain just isn't capable of dealing with it its pure sensory overload even when its positive.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
How was his crosses and long passes at Ajax? Becausd looking at his stats last season they looked good. Does he cross with his right foot at all or only his left?
They were one of his strenghts, not necessarily long passes but he's capable I think.

Crosses with both feet, don't know why they've been so poor.

ScholesyTheWise

Think about it.

Aye, very well put, fully agree.
I can really relate, I've been hugely praised about a certain talent by friends, family, and colleagues throughout the years (much smaller scale, not gonna turn pro or anything like that but the phenomenon is the same).

While the praise is addictive you need larger and larger amounts of it to actually still feel it anew,
and critisisms are hurtful beyond belief :/
You'd think it also has to do with my and many others' type of personality (or whatever we'd like to call it) that relies more on external judegements than others...

Aaaand I'm writing all this as someone who admittedly with caution and a certain degree of patience,
has critisized Antony himself hehe

Last edited:

Adam-Utd

Fans in the stadium are generally supportive at least and it should never discourage people from speaking their mind in places such as this, if players go out of their way to read what is supposed to be segregated fan discourse then it is what it is play better nobody asked them to do so.

I gather this isn't what you mean though more the dickheads who go directly to their social media and shit on their doorsteep, oppo fans i get its 'funny' banter but will never understand ours doing it think its disgusting and ultimately self defeating. Agree completely that it has nothing to do with being sensitive or not if you are a public figure the internet will always grind you down eventually even with a thick skin our brain just isn't capable of dealing with it its pure sensory overload even when its positive.
Yeah, I mean sending him direct messages or commenting below his posts with nothing but abuse.

Obviously constructive criticism on forums like this is fair enough, and I doubt he is reading anyway. Footballers obviously use Instagram and twitter though, so he's bound to be seeing it flooding on after an off day.

As others have said, developing a thick skin is sadly required lately - but not everybody find that easy or are even able to do it.

Borys

Statistics Wizard

I think you're reading a bit too much into it. Casemiro praised a young player, that could've been anyone out of Garnacho, Antony, Pellistri, Malacia really. I do think he said that because Antony is going through a bit of a dry patch after a good start, but that doesn't really mean there's much more in it.

There's a lot of talk about negativity, abuse etc but is it really the case with Antony? I don't se it here, and on social media there are always some haters.

On the bolded part, actually he's been better recently, also praised by Ten Hag post match so he seems to be heading the right direction.

Telsim

Are they reading the Caf, do you think? :lol:

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
They were one of his strenghts, not necessarily long passes but he's capable I think.

Crosses with both feet, don't know why they've been so poor.
He thinks and views before he plays the ball. This usually slows the attack down.

Since we hardly have a striker - we hardly have the runs to get the pass or cross from Antony IMO.

As others have said - he isn’t an inverted forward like Rashford - he is a creative player with the ability to score from cutting in on his stronger foot from taking what could one day become a deadly shot.

I think this is why Ten Hag started with Sancho and Anthony as his two wide players - two creative players that were made to play in a forward like Rashford but that didn’t work for Sancho or Anthony. They both struggled to get past their defenders, arguably one of the reasons was having a lack of runs by a traditional striker pulling the defenders and positioning away from them and having someone to target their pass to.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
He thinks and views before he plays the ball. This usually slows the attack down.

Since we hardly have a striker - we hardly have the runs to get the pass or cross from Antony IMO.

As others have said - he isn’t an inverted forward like Rashford - he is a creative player with the ability to score from cutting in on his stronger foot from taking what could one day become a deadly shot.

I think this is why Ten Hag started with Sancho and Anthony as his two wide players - two creative players that were made to play in a forward like Rashford but that didn’t work for Sancho or Anthony. They both struggled to get past their defenders, arguably one of the reasons was having a lack of runs by a traditional striker pulling the defenders and positioning away from them and having someone to target their pass to.
I thought his shooting was very good but recently he's been pulling the trigger a lot and mostly off target / weak shots. Was this a purple patch at the beginning of the season?
On the bolded - unfortunately a creative player he is not, at least nothing suggests that, based on xAG he's one of the players in the squad that are least likely to produce an assist, only McTominay and Wout (small sample size) are lower.

Early days, I am still trying to figure out what kind of player Antony is/can become.

Adam-Utd

I think you're reading a bit too much into it. Casemiro praised a young player, that could've been anyone out of Garnacho, Antony, Pellistri, Malacia really. I do think he said that because Antony is going through a bit of a dry patch after a good start, but that doesn't really mean there's much more in it.

There's a lot of talk about negativity, abuse etc but is it really the case with Antony? I don't se it here, and on social media there are always some haters.

On the bolded part, actually he's been better recently, also praised by Ten Hag post match so he seems to be heading the right direction.
Perhaps. I think for Casemiro to make such a big thing of pointing to him on the pitch, then talking again after in the media shows Antony has been struggling with confidence/moral.

Whether it's just internal frustration or caused by outside influence is something we won't know.

I guess my whole point from the start is the club are finally looking upwards, it's time to leave the toxicity behind. Criticism/discussion is fine, but straight hate and abuse to our own players needs to stop - especially when they haven't actually done anything bad.

Are they reading the Caf, do you think? :lol:
Probably not, but maybe a player googling their name might have come across a thread? not impossible.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Perhaps. I think for Casemiro to make such a big thing of pointing to him on the pitch, then talking again after in the media shows Antony has been struggling with confidence/moral.

Whether it's just internal frustration or caused by outside influence is something we won't know.

I guess my whole point from the start is the club are finally looking upwards, it's time to leave the toxicity behind. Criticism/discussion is fine, but straight hate and abuse to our own players needs to stop - especially when they haven't actually done anything bad.

Probably not, but maybe a player googling their name might have come across a thread? not impossible.
What suggests Antony is "frustrated"? Have I missed something? Casemiro just mentioned the guy who assisted him, which is great because it's his first assist and he's a young&adapting player.

Antony seems to be doing better lately, he's adapting in friendly environment and a lot of support. I don't get this story that he's so sensitive towards someone on the internet criticizing him for lack of pace and weak right foot. People forget he basically forced his move to United by refusing to play at Ajax, but some random internet discussion gets to him?
Maybe, but maybe we're just overblowing this a bit.

Adam-Utd

What suggests Antony is "frustrated"? Have I missed something? Casemiro just mentioned the guy who assisted him, which is great because it's his first assist and he's a young&adapting player.

Antony seems to be doing better lately, he's adapting in friendly environment and a lot of support. I don't get this story that he's so sensitive towards someone on the internet criticizing him for lack of pace and weak right foot. People forget he basically forced his move to United by refusing to play at Ajax, but some random internet discussion gets to him?
Maybe, but maybe we're just overblowing this a bit.
Check Casemiro's comments after the game.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United

Good post, spot on.

Rapsel

Supports
Ajax

Actually he was almost out of the Sao Paulo team THREE times so he had to deal with critisism a lot in his early days.

Never mind the horrible accent of the commentator but you might recognise the critisism he received for being too wasteful and not attacking the space enough. IOW: This isn't something new but consider it work in progress.

Last edited:

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
This is such an underrated trait, and you'd think after years of watching City and Liverpool forwards work harder than ours that our fanbase would appreciate it more.

He has a great foundation to work from. Still lots of room for improvement in many aspects of his game obviously, but he's still adapting, and he will get better and better.
Fans are spoilt. If a new attacker isn’t tracking back and scoring 30 goals a season they’re called a flop.

Newtonius

Welbeck was good at tracking back as was Valencia. You can find that attribute all through the lower divisions also
Welbeck got it pretty bad too the whole bambi on ice thing. Valencia was great though frankly he is the ultimate expression of a winger imo primary job is create take a man on and get the ball in the box before defenders can react not this cut inside low percentage shit

Man Utd 2:0 Nottingham Forest

kidbob

He's starting to really find those little passes to open teams up the last couple of games. The lack of right foot is still an issue. He beat his man once and turned back. I'm sure ETH will be pushing him to be confident to make a cross from there. Been a bit better at beating a man too. Overall, for me, much improved the last few weeks and most importantly he is very involved and not hiding. If he can perfect the left foot shot and keep providing those great passes then he'll be a very good player.

kundalini

Decent shot narrowly over after a corner, tame predictable curling effort from distance that was saved easily. Build-up play a bit better than normal. Still horribly one-footed.

DavelinaJolie

I just think it's a real shame that for the money spent getting him from Ajax, they couldn't afford to put a bit extra to include his right foot in the deal.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I thought this was one of his worse games, especially first half he was poor defensively on a few occasions and did nothing attacking wise. Actually our best situation was when he lost the ball and Casemiro made a beautiful cross to Wout. I find this a bit funny tbh.

Second half he was much better, had a few good opening passes.

I still don't see it with him though.

The United

His attacking play is pretty shit for the fee we paid. But I love that this guy works hard and WUMs other players a lot (as long as he does not get himself sent off, of course).

This type of player is needed while rebuilding the squad and identity of the team.

mu4c_20le

Tried some stuff today but still doesn't look like he's remotely interested in beating people. If Ten Hag is satisfied then fair play, but it looks like Mudryk was the kind of winger we were hoping for.

Bwuk

I thought he was good today. He holds the width well.

Hell start scoring these shots he’s getting off eventually.

Status
Not open for further replies.