Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
That’s not the point you were making. You said Antony has done more in one game than Sancho has all season. Which was bollocks.
And again - tell me one 90 min performance that Sancho has had?

Antony has had a 90 min good performance. Even if you don’t agree then he has at least a good 45 mins, playing well through that 45 mins.

Sancho doesn’t do that. He doesn’t impose himself on the game for 10 mins never mind 45 mins or 90 mins.

He just doesn’t impose himself on the game and all Sancho does is pop up with the odd goal every couple of months probably for a bonus.

How many times does Antony take a shot a match? The same inverted RW left foot shoot? He takes it a lot. It’s too much - but at least he’s imposing himself on the match the way he thinks he can.

Sancho doesn’t have the ability to pass, shoot, dribble, beat his man, beat the offside trap, go on a run, header, track back - absolutely shit for 89 whole mins and I’m supposed to rate him because he popped up with a goal?

Nah not for me.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Sancho is shit. He just did well in a foreign league so he bypassed the whole overrated and overpriced English tax phenomenon that all other English players get.

They give him time because why? He did well in the Bundesliga. This fan base values foreign players more than English players and Sancho is viewed as foreign for ultimately doing it in the Bundesliga.

Anyone who watched him in the Bundesliga knows that all he did was beat the offside trap of a high line and draw back a simple pass for the striker to tap in.

This is why for all the fans that were laughing at Southgate for not ever picking him - he got it right all along and the fans were the one who got it wrong. The fan base are worse at football than Southgate.

Antony may never be world class but he has absolutely trumped Sancho in terms of quality of a season in a single one, arguably in a single match. For that reason I can give him time - ultimately because there is a much worse player ‘lingering’ in our squad.
If you didn't use the work "quality" then I'd say you're right. But after all Antony edges it over Sancho because of work rate (defensively). If you judge them by attacking attributes/contributions, they're pretty much the same (Sancho getting slightly better G+A per 90' ratio). But this is only because Antony breaks a lot of moves, he should be way ahead of Sancho (I don't know if this is a positive or negative).

Sancho isn’t treated like the other English players - I’ve seen it with Rashford, Maguire, Wan Bissaka, Shaw and others.

All because he did it in Germany.
Well Antony didn't do that even in the Netherlands.

I don't think anyone is trying to convince you Sancho is any good. It's just there is very little between them. We could just bin both of them and keep looking for a long-term solution because Antony looks like a super expensive stop gap (at best), while Sancho is just a failure.

acnumber9

And again - tell me one 90 min performance that Sancho has had?

Antony has had a 90 min good performance. Even if you don’t agree then he has at least a good 45 mins, playing well through that 45 mins.

Sancho doesn’t do that. He doesn’t impose himself on the game for 10 mins never mind 45 mins or 90 mins.

He just doesn’t impose himself on the game and all Sancho does is pop up with the odd goal every couple of months probably for a bonus.

How many times does Antony take a shot a match? The same inverted RW left foot shoot? He takes it a lot. It’s too much - but at least he’s imposing himself on the match the way he thinks he can.

Sancho doesn’t have the ability to pass, shoot, dribble, beat his man, beat the offside trap, go on a run, header, track back - absolutely shit for 89 whole mins and I’m supposed to rate him because he popped up with a goal?

Nah not for me.
You keep saying these things but the facts don’t correlate. Sancho plays more passes, has a higher success rate, plays more progressive passes, completes more dribbles and is a better finisher. All stats per fbref.

Neither have been good enough. Despite that, Sancho has been slightly better and comes with better pedigree than Antony.

Lyng

Sancho isn’t treated like the other English players - I’ve seen it with Rashford, Maguire, Wan Bissaka, Shaw and others.

All because he did it in Germany.
Sancho hasnt gotten anywhere near the protection from the media that Maguire has.
Sancho was exceptional in the Bundesliga. Your description of his play there earlier tells me that you really havent watched him outside of some highlight clips.
He hasnt shown that form here so far and has been a dissapointment. But so has Antony.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Antony and the transition are like oil and water. Given the way we play that's a pretty unfortunate reality. He will never be the guy who gets onto the through ball and gets away from the defender. He has uses and, if we evolve into a team that truly dominates the ball, he might display his true value. However, I am happy to say I think we've had our pants pulled down on this by Ajax.
Which is bizarre, considering the guy who signed him kind of already knew this...?

Bebestation

You keep saying these things but the facts don’t correlate. Sancho plays more passes, has a higher success rate, plays more progressive passes, completes more dribbles and is a better finisher. All stats per fbref.

Neither have been good enough. Despite that, Sancho has been slightly better and comes with better pedigree than Antony.
The stats don’t correlate*
Again, he was put to a self training exam and still came out shit.

Sancho doesn’t impose himself on the game - Antony recently beat the whole team on the RW and fluffed the shot. I think you possibly remember it.

Ive never seen Sancho make a run for us like that. Never.

Not even a progressive run.
Anyway, I may have not said it before but I’ll say it now; this is unfortunately Sancho’s 2nd season at United under a manager that arguably gets players better than they are.

Sancho hasn’t really improved and now it’s coming to his 3rd season being the highest payed player I know at the club. If he stays he better utelise playing with a new striker he hasn’t really had at his time here but arguably so too didn’t Antony.

Antony’s biggest problem for me is that he already is Ten Hag’s player from Ajax - so we kind of expect more from him. However I can give him the doubt because he is in a new league and us as a team are not playing like a Ten Hag’s team as of yet nor Have the players been there.

Sancho and Antony being near the same level is a disappointment for me about Sancho because this is his second season here and arguably home of a country compared to Antony who hasn’t even been a whole year here yet.

Crimson King

Which is bizarre, considering the guy who signed him kind of already knew this...?
The guy who signed him doesn't want to play on the transition. He wants to dominate the ball and force the opposition back into their box, where you'd pull them apart with patient passing and good movement in tight spaces.

If we ever get to a point where we can do that effectively, then Antony will probably be a very important player for us.

Bebestation

Sancho hasnt gotten anywhere near the protection from the media that Maguire has.
Sancho was exceptional in the Bundesliga. Your description of his play there earlier tells me that you really havent watched him outside of some highlight clips.
He hasnt shown that form here so far and has been a dissapointment. But so has Antony.
I watched him enough. I saw his Bundesliga performances and then always saw that his champions league performances were much worse than his Bundesliga performances.

I wondered why Southgate didn’t pick him with all the hype and then he played for England and it made sense. He wasn’t that good.

I can’t be bothered to find a precise video so I just picked the one that first came up.

But look at his debut goal. Then look at the amount of times he beats the offside and just passes it to the opposite side team player when there’s only one opposition in the whole half. Or he goes on an absolute free run with no one to stop him.

I can’t be bothered to watch the whole video but the first 5 goals show this absolute lack of defenders in the Bundesliga during that time.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I watched him enough. I saw his Bundesliga performances and then always saw that his champions league performances were much worse than his Bundesliga performances.

I wondered why Southgate didn’t pick him with all the hype and then he played for England and it made sense. He wasn’t that good.

I can’t be bothered to find a precise video so I just picked the one that first came up.

But look at his debut goal. Then look at the amount of times he beats the offside and just passes it to the opposite side team player when there’s only one opposition in the whole half. Or he goes on an absolute free run with no one to stop him.

I can’t be bothered to watch the whole video but the first 5 goals show this absolute lack of defenders in the Bundesliga during that time.

Some of those goals indeed look like playing Fifa on amateur level, BUT it just shows that he can be effective in those situations where he has the advantage over defenders (not only ahead of them, but 4vs3 for example). Both those clips and numbers support that claim. If Antony could do that effectively (as he finds himself a lot in those situations), he would double his numbers easily. So there's hope.

Sancho for whatever reason doesn't often find himself in those situations so IMO there's no hope for him and I'd get rid. To be honest Sancho in this clips shows creativity and smart movemement/passing I have not seen in Antony, but it doesn't mean much if he isn't doing it here.

acnumber9

The stats don’t correlate*
Again, he was put to a self training exam and still came out shit.

Sancho doesn’t impose himself on the game - Antony recently beat the whole team on the RW and fluffed the shot. I think you possibly remember it.

Ive never seen Sancho make a run for us like that. Never.

Not even a progressive run.
Anyway, I may have not said it before but I’ll say it now; this is unfortunately Sancho’s 2nd season at United under a manager that arguably gets players better than they are.

Sancho hasn’t really improved and now it’s coming to his 3rd season being the highest payed player I know at the club. If he stays he better utelise playing with a new striker he hasn’t really had at his time here but arguably so too didn’t Antony.

Antony’s biggest problem for me is that he already is Ten Hag’s player from Ajax - so we kind of expect more from him. However I can give him the doubt because he is in a new league and us as a team are not playing like a Ten Hag’s team as of yet nor Have the players been there.

Sancho and Antony being near the same level is a disappointment for me about Sancho because this is his second season here and arguably home of a country compared to Antony who hasn’t even been a whole year here yet.
The stats are facts. You are watching through a haze of bias. Sancho literally dribbles more often and better than Antony.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
The guy who signed him doesn't want to play on the transition.He wants to dominate the ball and force the opposition back into their box, where you'd pull them apart with patient passing and good movement in tight spaces.

If we ever get to a point where we can do that effectively, then Antony will probably be a very important player for us.
He's not trying too hard to do so, then. He signed two central midfielders who play transition based football. Our entire central midfield average very low passing percentages because we play so vertical. We also play with one of the deepest defensive lines in the league.

Maybe ten Hag does want to play possession football. At some point. But I personally don't think he's fussed and is happy with playing whatever grinds him wins.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.

Thing is, there are some abysmal defenders in Premier League too, the quality of full backs of most bottom half teams is astoundingly bad. It's not a league renowned for its defensive prowess, contrary to what many believe it is not reincarnation of peak Serie A from the 90s, yet both our wingers still struggle when matched up against any of these mediocre defenders.

Bebestation

The stats are facts. You are watching through a haze of bias. Sancho literally dribbles more often and better than Antony.
Tell me one match that Sancho ran from one side of the pitch to another?
anyway -

https://one-versus-one.com/en/compare-players/Jadon-Sancho-vs-antony-matheus-dos-santos#:~:text=Jadon Sancho has a total,a total of 0 chances.

This says antony is higher in - passes in to final third, crosses and successful dribbles, more shots on target & its conversion and expected goals.

All at the same time he has better work rate and challenges.

Sancho might be better to you and does have better stats in some areas but this is just your opinion too and not facts.

Last edited:

acnumber9

Tell me one match that Sancho fab from one side of the pitch to another?
anyway -

https://one-versus-one.com/en/compa...Jadon Sancho has a total,a total of 0 chances.

This says antony is higher in - passes in to final third, crosses and successful dribbles, more shots on target & its conversion and expected goals.

All at the same time he has better work rate and challenges.

Sancho might be better to you and does have better stats in some areas but this is just your opinion too and not facts.
I’ve never considered running from one side of the pitch to the other to be a great metric for judging footballers. Fellaini did that once before tackling the ball out of play.

That site is a complete clusterfeck. Explain to me how a player can have less shots on target, a worse conversion rate and yet score more goals? Try fbref of footy stats. Both contradict the idea Antony is a better dribbler, passer or finisher. That leaves us with Antony occasionally tracking back and being considerably better at starting fights with the opposition.

Bebestation

I’ve never considered running from one side of the pitch to the other to be a great metric for judging footballers. Fellaini did that once before tackling the ball out of play.

That site is a complete clusterfeck. Explain to me how a player can have less shots on target, a worse conversion rate and yet score more goals? Try fbref of footy stats. Both contradict the idea Antony is a better dribbler, passer or finisher. That leaves us with Antony occasionally tracking back and being considerably better at starting fights with the opposition.
Again your picking your stats and I’m picking mine.
My stats suit my eyes whilst your stats suit yours. Shows how stats are not facts.

Sancho’s 2nd season by the way in case you didn’t realize. Didn’t mention it first time and now I have to deal with the consequence.

Skills

Snitch
I agree with the bolded part. He has impressed me in terms of how much he can squeeze from his talent which I don't rate at all.

Regarding his problems I actually believe his left foot needs more work than right as if he had a good stronger foot he would be much more effective. Right now, he just doesn't seem to trust his passing and I believe he has a good reason for it.

Are you sure about that? I'd imagine if you watched his highlights he is actually doing exactly as in Ajax. It's just you're watching him play a whole game.
Keep in mind in NL he played for a team that averages 60-65% of possession so he actually gets many more chances to do something positiive, as quite clearly counter attacking game isn't his cup of tea.
Yup, there have been plenty of great players that are very one footed but they were so talented with that one foot it didn't matter. Di Maria for example is very one footed, but can do some many things with his left foot that he's impossible to stop.

acnumber9

Again your picking your stats and I’m picking mine.
My stats suit my eyes whilst your stats suit yours. Shows how stats are not facts.

Sancho’s 2nd season by the way in case you didn’t realize. Didn’t mention it first time and now I have to deal with the consequence.
But the ones you are supplying are clearly complete shite. The others are at least based on something that makes mathematical sense.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

Really!? This is what I'm getting from fbref (all per 90):

PlayerSpanNationPosSquad90sTouchesDef PenDef 3rdMid 3rdAtt 3rdAtt PenLiveAttSuccSucc%TkldTkld%CarriesTotDistPrgDistPrgC1/3CPAMisDisRecPrgR
TouchesTake-OnsCarriesReceiving
Antony2022-23br BRAFW2 squads21.754.70.556.3117.432.34.4754.74.061.7543.21.8946.639.1245.6134.14.883.041.661.890.6041.89.22
Jadon Sancho2022-23eng ENGFW,MFManchester Utd16.752.80.846.2318.229.25.6352.84.011.6841.82.0450.734.9207.4117.74.612.102.512.571.1439.29.22

These all point towards Antony carrying the ball much more effectively than Sancho. Stats that definitely pass the eye test.

johnnyteutonic

I just see Erik Lamela and even he displayed more as a youngster with Roma. Being Brazilian and 23 is clouding people's judgement, he's so far off being good enough.
I think that's a pretty apt comparison.
Heck, I remember Lamela's first season with Spurs showed more promise than Antony.
He could get past a man very easily and that was something he was always very good at, although I'm not sure what he's been like since he moved to La Liga some time ago.

justsomebloke

PlayerSpanNationPosSquad90sTouchesDef PenDef 3rdMid 3rdAtt 3rdAtt PenLiveAttSuccSucc%TkldTkld%CarriesTotDistPrgDistPrgC1/3CPAMisDisRecPrgR
Antony2022-23br BRAFW2 squads21.754.70.556.3117.432.34.4754.74.061.7543.21.8946.639.1245.6134.14.883.041.661.890.6041.89.22
Jadon Sancho2022-23eng ENGFW,MFManchester Utd16.752.80.846.2318.229.25.6352.84.011.6841.82.0450.734.9207.4117.74.612.102.512.571.1439.29.22

These all point towards Antony carrying the ball much more effectively than Sancho. Stats that definitely pass the eye test.
Not a great selection of stats, relevance-wise. Unless you don't consider take-ons/dribbles part of that skill set.

Last edited:

acnumber9

To be fair, I think it covers the past year rather than just this season.

https://fbref.com/en/players/dbf053da/Jadon-Sancho

https://fbref.com/en/players/99127249/Antony

https://fbref.com/en/stathead/playe...2-2023&player_id2=99127249&p2yrfrom=2022-2023

Which actually makes it worse for Antony as some of it was in Holland. I can’t agree with the eye test at all.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Not a great selection of stats, relevance-wise. Unless you don't consider take-ons/dribbles part of that skill set.
As an aside, I actually hate "progressive carries" as a stat for attackers. It works better for midfielders (shows that they can competently drive forward through the first and middle third), but an attacker can rack up progressive carries by just getting the ball in space and going forward a bit, especially a winger. Take on% along with progressive passing/creation stats are much more useful for evaluating wide attacker for me.

johnnyteutonic

Actually if you look at the scouting reports *only* from the EPL, everything that poster stated is correct:

https://fbref.com/en/players/99127249/scout/11566/Antony-Scouting-Report

https://fbref.com/en/players/dbf053da/scout/11566/Jadon-Sancho-Scouting-Report

You've also listed 'touches' here - that's different to passes and you've also combined the stats from Ajax + United for Antony, which will distort things a bit.

justsomebloke

As an aside, I actually hate "progressive carries" as a stat for attackers. It works better for midfielders (shows that they can competently drive forward through the first and middle third), but an attacker can rack up progressive carries by just getting the ball in space and going forward a bit, especially a winger. Take on% along with progressive passing/creation stats are much more useful for evaluating wide attacker for me.
That's Antony - gets the ball somewhere in the middle third, then runs forward with it until someone tries to get in the way. No problem with that, but it's not exactly the defining trait of a great wide forward.

johnnyteutonic

Yep, I completely agree.
Antony drives the ball forward a lot but then doesn't do much with it. You can also get a progressive carry by bringing the ball into the penalty box just a yard, even if you subsequently pass to the opposition or get dispossessed - it will be recorded as a carry so long as the ball doesn't end up in the opposition's half following the carry.

justsomebloke

I’ve literally cut and pasted all the data that fbref provide. Which includes take ons.
Sorry, Problem may be on my side, viewing this on my phone. Anyway, it's last 365 days/all comps stats, I gather. Which is a bit of a problem in this case.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
That's Antony - gets the ball somewhere in the middle third, then runs forward with it until someone tries to get in the way. No problem with that, but it's not exactly the defining trait of a great wide forward.
That’s something which surely everyone can agree on. He hasn’t been a “great wide forward” this season. Where the disagreement lies is where some people think there’s a potential there for him to develop into one. And whether or not we’ve seen some of the qualities you need to be a great wife forward already this season.

lex talionis

All that can be said is the obvious -- he needs to develop a right foot and he needs to make better decisions based on his ability to beat the defender with either foot. It's that simple. We don't expect 10-15 goals/10-15 assists from him, but we do expect him to open back lines to create scoring situations.

Cathy Ferguson

Actually they’re very different. Sancho very clearly has brilliant natural skillset but lacks the intensity, physicality and mental drive to make the most of it. Antony is mentally very driven and physically good (his defensive out is brilliant) but comes across as a bit technically limited. Hopefully Antony goes up a few notches as his United career progresses as at least he’s got the ethic to contribute towards us being a tactical well setup team.
Yes Antony is more intense and has a higher probability of making it, but I doubt he will since he lacks the skillset eg not very technical nor fast.

Chief123

That’s not the point you were making. You said Antony has done more in one game than Sancho has all season. Which was bollocks.
Antony was excellent away at Forest. He arguably did as much in that game as Sancho all season. It’s really not hard to beat Sancho’s output this season.

justsomebloke

Antony was excellent away at Forest. He arguably did as much in that game as Sancho all season. It’s really not hard to beat Sancho’s output this season.
Can't believe something as self-evidently silly as that claim is even being discussed.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Yep, I completely agree.
Antony drives the ball forward a lot but then doesn't do much with it. You can also get a progressive carry by bringing the ball into the penalty box just a yard, even if you subsequently pass to the opposition or get dispossessed - it will be recorded as a carry so long as the ball doesn't end up in the opposition's half following the carry.
Because Antony is much more of a wide midfielder than an attacker. This is how I see him and I think he's having a decent season actually. If I considered him as an attacker, this wouldn't be a good season at all.

The question is if we really need a player like that in the team long term. I can understand that we needed a stop gap on RW and he solves some problems (also in midfield), but I have huge doubts about this transfer overall.

Status
Not open for further replies.