Antony | Here we go! €100mill, contract until June 2027, option 'til 2028.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
Probably been already posted but can somebody elaborate on his pressing? What percentile he is among attacking players, or say ?/10 if you were to rank him?

Even if his numbers might be slightly below expectations, if he's the hard worker who can press and run for the team, it's a great signing for the system we want to develop.

Rossa

I like the big money signings we have made this summer but have been obscenely ripped off in all 3 of them. Martinez by €15m, Casemiro by €20m and Antony by €30-40m.
If Martinez continues delivering like he has, he’s a frickin steal! Malacia even more of a bargain.

luke511

Im torn. On hand we need quality and quantity up front but hate the fact we are overpaying for this lad. The extra amount in down to our poor planning and could have been avoided
The penny dropped for me when I was arguing over Casemiro being bad value for money, who really gives a feck it's the club's money, as long as it's spent on players that will entertain us I'm done caring about amounts.

bleedred

I think its because its a player EtH desperately wants, who so far has been on the money with his signings. Our previous signings were made by either amateur coaches or Woodward.
That has nothing to do with how a player will turn out.

I don't want to derail the thread much. I will just say, that to claim he is for sure going to be a great signing is very premature. He is going to cost a lot of money and is coming into a much tougher league. I would rather wait to observe him for a few games before throwing out a blanket statement as quoted previously.

eire-red

We haven't had a genuine right winger in what feels like forever. Antony reminds me of Robben with those curlers coming in from the right.

Good delivery and ability to beat a man can really transform that right side of attack. At Ajax though, he had Haller to hit with those deliveries and pull-backs. I'd worry about Rashford, Martial and Sancho getting on the end of his deliveries.

Devil81

Fee doesn't bother me, we're rich enough and it's not my actual money.

Just hope he can make the step up in standard.

Suv666

I cannot believe how people are confident making statements like this after what we have seen in the past decade. I mean, we have heard the same song and dance about almost every player we signed.
Because this is the first time we've got a half decent manager post Fergie.
Moyes was a clown, LVG and Mou were clearly past it and Ole was a newbie.

Jcrossley94

this is so true. Has always baffled me why some fans of other clubs hold up their net spend record as some sort of sign of pride. Why do they care? It’s not their money?

croadyman

We haven't had a genuine right winger in what feels like forever. Antony reminds me of Robben with those curlers coming in from the right.

Good delivery and ability to beat a man can really transform that right side of attack. At Ajax though, he had Haller to hit with those deliveries and pull-backs. I'd worry about Rashford, Martial and Sancho getting on the end of his deliveries.
Last sentence sums up my concern perfectly

Varane around town

He’s a massive upgrade on Elanga.

He is a lot of money, but he’s 22 and if ETH rates him as highly as does. Then I’ll take that.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
We needed like 6-8 players this summer. Ragnick got 0 midseason even though we needed it. Also we underspent in the previous season particularly in
  • 18/19 - 80m euro
  • 20/21 - 80m euro

It's a bout time we came with the warchest this summer, especially when we are confident again with the manager. Also saved some cash on Eriksen and Malacia, already great additions for almost nothing, so I wouldn't really care for the 100m, if this is the right transfer and make us better for the next 10 years..

If we fix this we have potentially only 4 positions to fix
    - DLP, no9, GK, RB

That can be fixed within a year, and I am confident we can do that, hopefully we can get one of the reinforcments in the winter window and identify the list for the summer and this time act faster.

Threesus

He’s a massive upgrade on Elanga.

He is a lot of money, but he’s 22 and if ETH rates him as highly as does. Then I’ll take that.
Elanga? Bro he is a massive upgrade on Rashford. I am just happy that he finally, finally goes to the bench.

croadyman

We needed like 6-8 players this summer. Rangnick got 0 midseason even though we needed it. Also we underspent in the previous season particularly in
  • 18/19 - 80m euro
  • 20/21 - 80m euro

It's a bout time we came with the warchest this summer, especially when we are confident again with the manager. Also saved some cash on Eriksen and Malacia, already great additions for almost nothing, so I wouldn't really care for the 100m, if this is the right transfer and make us better for the next 10 years..

If we fix this we have potentially only 4 positions to fix
    - DLP, no9, GK, RB

That can be fixed within a year, and I am confident we can do that, hopefully we can get one of the reinforcments in the winter window and identify the list for the summer and this time act faster.
Which can we get in the winter window

Grande

Thanks for the money!

So when will Man Utd consider his first season a success? 10 goals, 10 assists and a few highlights? Or he has to become your starplayer right away? Will he be rated a 100m starplayer or as a very expensive prospect?

In a way this is kind of like Martial. Unproven, expensive.. is he considered a failure or an expensive squad player?
What would you think is the sensible take?

Strelok

Yeah, best Brazilian in the league maybe?
Yeah more like that I hope. But who is the best Brazilian ever in the league? Truth is I can't remember any great Brazilian in the Prem. Most of them went to Spain.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Thanks for the money!

So when will Man Utd consider his first season a success? 10 goals, 10 assists and a few highlights? Or he has to become your starplayer right away? Will he be rated a 100m starplayer or as a very expensive prospect?

In a way this is kind of like Martial. Unproven, expensive.. is he considered a failure or an expensive squad player?
I care less about his output in terms of goals/assists and more about how he contributes in general play.

If he's a nailed on first choice RW in a side that looks a lot better and more coherent with him in it, that'll do me for season one.

I certainly don't expect him to play like a €100m star player, because he isn't a €100m star player. He's more like a €65m talent we're willing to pay extra for because of the context around the purchase.

RedorDead21

Im torn. On hand we need quality and quantity up front but hate the fact we are overpaying for this lad. The extra amount in down to our poor planning and could have been avoided
I’d say city are generally the opposite in terms of good planning and strategy etc but look at their spend for Grealish. If we wait until next summer given the inflation for player purchases in the last 2 years there is nothing to say the lad won’t command 70-80m from any club that approaches Ajax. I’d be with you if it meant not getting in a top striker this summer for a great fee or a top CM for similar but we’d be rinsed on those 2 for the quality we are looking at. We’ve done some good business this summer for good fees given what lesser players are moving for. Big fee but if we get 4/5 years from him he should still command a good resale if all goes well.

Rob Bowman

Totally agree about the money.

As for if he can handle the EPL... ETH wanted Malacia, Martinez, and Eriksen. Based on how those are working out I will put my faith in ETH!!

SouthMancRed

Cheimoon's Fault
Too many pages to read back but wasn't he priced at about £40m when Erik first joined us and we refused to pay up?

Status
Not open for further replies.