Antony | Here we go! €100mill, contract until June 2027, option 'til 2028.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Antony won't be much better tbh. He's got fast top speed like Sancho which is useful when there's space, but his dribbling in tight areas is languid, he doesn't have the same acceleration that someone like Dembele or Mane has. Given that we face tighter defences and the defenders are a lot better in the PL I don't think he'd fare much better than Ziyech has.
Antony's got great acceleration.

Castia

Anthony Martial, Anthony Elanga and Antony

Do it just for one game.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
We need a Antony v Nunez thread who will flop best :lol:

Absolutely insane money.
We’d get Son for €100 million if we went to Spurs with that offer
You want a bet?

Levy is not observing us and wouldn’t put eye-watering amounts out there? Currently, they are in A1 position to take our CL slot and the benefits that come with it; do you have any idea how much that is worth to a club like them in terms of who they can entice and how it elevates their profile amongst sponsors?

Nobody is getting Song from Spurs for €100m this window.

Godfather

Last three pages have been miserable discussions about the price. Stop it you drama queens the guy is class. Let's get it done and the updates flowing

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Absolutely. And us looking resurgent - plus the financial packages we [still have to] offer - would be a new dawn for us. One you hope all the stupid, stupid mistakes and errors of the past are not part of.

You’ve got to look the part to even be in with a chance of these highly coveted starlets.
That's the beauty of being a wealthy club, in reality we are only one good season away from being at the top of most top players or prospects lists. I think that sometimes we all forget that, it's like a save in FM where you take a struggling and strangely skint United, in real life United, Liverpool, Bayern, Barcelona or Real Madrid only need one or two decent seasons to be back on track. The fact that we repeatedly failed shouldn't be seen as anything else than abject failure on our part.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arsenal
i believe he will be a shrewd buy and will bring poetry to our flanks, the likes of which has not been seen since giggs.

Castia

Antony and Sancho nearly 200m Euro worth of attackers.

You'd expect Mane/Salah numbers for 200m lets be honest

Red the Bear

Something less generic
I mean, people pay that for prospects in this day. 100m for Darwin, 120m for Joao Felix, 130m for Dembele, 70m for Raphinha, etc. The price you pay for young attackers.
Because they can afford to, every single one of those constantly make the ucl and win trophies, they can afford giving their prospects time to develop as it won't cost them too much while we're in the danger of missing Europe for the second season in row.

We can't afford such luxuries, for that money you want someone who's sure to help is get back to the top.
We're not. If he performs like a 60 million pound player it's not going to destroy us but be a good addition. Salah is a 150 million pound player (probably). Anything other than one the PL greats is not going to feck us.
so Potential wasting a ton of money, we want players who could immense help us get back to the to for that money not prospects who may or may not flop.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I am more excited now than I was early in the window about signing him, not because he's better than I thought but because the alternatives were worrying. 100x him over Gakpo.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
Last three pages have been miserable discussions about the price. Stop it you drama queens the guy is class. Let's get it done and the updates flowing
Young and bags of potential

These are the players we need to be targeting

Couldn’t give a monkeys about price. Not my money

diarm

£68m + £17m in addons.

It's a lot of money. Ten Hag will be bringing a lot of pressure on himself to ensure Martinez and himself work out.

That said, we are sorely lacking quality and character. If the manager believes in him enough to spend that sort of money, then I'm confident he'll be a massive improvement on what we have.

Stacks

On the squad.. Competition for Rashford and Sancho.. On the options you have on the bench to bring in, regardless of who starts.. On Rashford in current form..

No matter how you put it.. Wingers are the players who you rotate the most and who are brought in during games the most.. Then having Antony as an option (either starter or bench option if Rashford/Sancho regain form) is a massive upgrade over Elanga (and to a lesser extent Garnacho who I think should be over Elanga in the pecking order now, perhaps even should start over Rashford next game)..

And I dont think Sancho his issues at United are to do with the Premier League as playing field, but the way United plays and have a plan in attack.. And I have high hopes Ten Hag will be able to improve on that to get more out of basically all our attacking players (though he needs time)
yeah. I guess I am in agreement

CM10

Like clockwork. The panic buying is on a different scale this window

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Antony and Sancho nearly 200m Euro worth of attackers.

You'd expect Mane/Salah numbers for 200m lets be honest
Both were 26 when they moved, they were very good players, potentially world class but 26 at the time too.

Sancho and Antony are 20-22 at the time of their moves, it's different.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Because they can afford to, every single one of those constantly make the ucl and win trophies, they can afford giving their prospects time to develop as it won't cost them too much while we're in the danger of missing Europe for the second season in row.

We can't afford such luxuries, for that money you want someone who's sure to help is get back to the top.

so Potential wasting a ton of money, we want players who could immense help us get back to the to for that money not prospects who may or may not flop.
Sorry but who are these players that we can attract right now who aren't in the may/ may not flop box?

El Presidente

But we have bought big after signing AWB and Maguire?
But we are stuck with them? Best we can get for AWB is 10m. That is essentially 40m in the bin.
But, I guess if people believe that money grow on tress then it is fine.

Pearl.Jam

Not even remotely arsed about whatever fee is being banded about, desperate times calls for desperate measures. It really is that simple.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
Like clockwork. The panic buying is on a different scale this window
I’d normally agree but we have been linked to this guy even before ten hag took the job

It’s just annoying Utd didn’t just stump up the cash 2 months ago

Tony247

For this price if he flops we won't be able to recover even half the investment.

Castia

Both were 26 when they moved, they were very good players, potentially world class but 26 at the time too.

Sancho and Antony are 20-22 at the time of their moves, it's different.
Aye true

Exciting if we can get the deal done, and I do feel the chance of failure to be lower than usual considering he's a former player under ETH.

Ace of Spades

This is the type of stupidity I expect from the club.

Ajax were open to selling him for 80m at the start of the window, we thought it was too much a the time. A shit start to the season, and us not going for alternative options even when they are available and we now might spend 100m to get a player we could have got for 80m if we were just firm in our decision making.

lex talionis

Agreed. I've never understood the fixation with the exact amount we think a player is worth.

If a certain fee amount for Antony prevented us from bringing in Frenkie de Jong, for example, and then we brought in Antony but had to take give up on Frenkie because we spent our budget, condemnation of that fee amount for Antony is warranted under the assumption that Frenkie was the greater need filled. But if bringing in Antony does not bust our budget and we can still bring in Frenkie -- just assume they're all top players for this argument -- then why the fukc do we care whether we spent 70m and not 50m for Antony?

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Remember that tweet one month ago which said that Ajax want 120 mil euros for him and we all thought that it is ridiculous fee? :lol:

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Who doesn't get afforded this excuse ? Players who don't have the talent- like mctominay.
Rashford for example doesn’t while Sancho who hasn’t been any better since he joined does. Rashford broke through and impressed under LvG and was also among our best players after Bruno joined when for a while we had a half-functioning team.

Coincidentally, wasn’t it actually you who a few days ago mentioned how Rashford should be earning 40k as he plays like a 40 k player. So using the same calculator what in your opinion should Sancho (high transfer fee and on much higher wages than Rashford) should be earning?

I get that some players might impress more than other under certain conditions, but Sancho hasn’t impressed at all so far for United or England. And good players can impress a bit in not so ideal conditions as well (see Rashford in the past for England and United, or Foden, Sterling, Saka, etc. for England).
VdB also got afforded the system excuse and only now people are getting that he isn’t actually good.
Now Sancho is a better player than VdB and he may benefit from a better functioning team, better coaching and clearer instructions, but same applies to Rashford.

Last edited:

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Its clearly too much, but if thats ETH wants at whatever cost, so be it.

De Gea
RB Varane Martinez Malacia
Casemiro
Fred
Antony Eriksen Sancho
Ronaldo
An then next season:
GK
RB Varane Martinez Malacia
Casemiro De Jong
Antony Eriksen Sancho
Nkunku

theklr

This is the type of stupidity I expect from the club.

Ajax were open to selling him for 80m at the start of the window, we thought it was too much a the time. A shit start to the season, and us not going for alternative options even when they are available and we now might spend 100m to get a player we could have got for 80m if we were just firm in our decision making.
We were saving money for FDJ back then though

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Remember that tweet one month ago which said that Ajax want 120 mil euros for him and we all thought that it is ridiculous fee? :lol:
It's still a ridiculous. But feck it, with the shameful displays we've seen over the Lash year bring in changes even if the fees are ridiculous

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Hopefully this gets wrapped up soon

GreatDane

Who cares about the price, we can afford it and he could solve our RW problem for the better part of a decade.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Who cares about the price, we can afford it and he could solve our RW problem for the better part of a decade.
Or, he might not. At which point the damage done is much larger than if he was less expensive.

It shouldn't need saying but the money we spend on players impacts the club. Of course it matters.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
Thats assuming he lights up the premier league on fire, when he hasn't even done that in the Dutch league. Just cause we spend big money and play him on the right doesn't mean he will solve our problem. We have seen too many signings come at a big price tag and fail.

Status
Not open for further replies.