Antony | Here we go! €100mill, contract until June 2027, option 'til 2028.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kanu

Supports
Feyenoord & United
As someone who follows Eredivisie 100m euros would be a crazy stupid fee. 60m would be my max. He's a very talented winger obviously, but far from the finished product.

Alemar

Still need a FDJ but I can't see it if Antony comes, spending 300m euros in a window would just be nuts.
What’s wrong with spending 300m euro? It’s about 250m pounds, and our squad is so shit that requires even bigger investment.

SAFMUTD

Anything above 60M would be too much. We dont learn, bring a young unproven player from a weaker league with a huge fee that comes with huge wages what could go wrong?

GreatDane

Yes buts it's easier to write off a loss if it doesn't work. This is a business at the end of the day. Players are assets. You don't just overpay for players just cause you are desperate and HOPE they come good.
I agree. I'm hoping and trusting that he's been scouted thoroughly.

gaffs

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
What’s wrong with spending 300m euro? It’s about 250m pounds, and our squad is so shit that requires even bigger investment.
Don't see it happening with the Glazers, plus what's the max United can actually spend in a window?

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Re. These figures, I really think people need to start factoring in we’re at the end of the transfer window now and June and July prices are now redundant. You might as well start with whatever base figure you have in mind as the original, sensible price point and then add on the late window tax + the ‘we see your predicament tax’ + the ‘you’re Manchester United’ tax as well as the ‘you’ve got money to burn’ tax and then see what the revised figures come out as.

We fecked the window for ourselves and these doubly-inflated figures are the consequence. Talking about June/July rates is simply not living in the reality we’ve concocted.

HookedOnAPhelan

Anything above 60M would be too much. We dont learn, bring a young unproven player from a weaker league with a huge fee that comes with huge wages what could go wrong?
The celebrated recruitment department of Liverpool have done just that twice in the last 7 months (and one of them wasn't even that young).

As much as I want Antony, I think we need another midfielder and RB more than a RW though. But you can't get everything I suppose.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Sorry but who are these players that we can attract right now who aren't in the may/ may not flop box?
If there's none than we're not obligated to spend , we could perhaps wait a year, maybe relocate that cash to buy a half decent right back or get a someone like pulisic on loan, those are some of things we could do and they don't involve massively overpaying.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Well not if we don't meet the conditions. Add ons may not he paid.

That was a different time. Nunez cost Liverpool 100 million. Teams thay are desperate are paying silly money.
I'm ignorant on the what the addons entail with this deal, but I'd be surprised if they weren't relatively easy to meet. They usually are, aren't they?

In any case, the most important thing is injecting some much-needed ability to our frontline, and if that means paying an arm and a leg to see that happen then so be it. I'm sure Philip Jones wouldn't mind donating to the cause since he doesn't use his limbs. Food for thought.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I will say that in Man Utd lore terms signing an actual DM and an actual RW in the same window would be something.

I don't even know what the new "I can't believe we still haven't signed a X" position would be.

Fooza

On the transfer tweets thread the source is tier 4, why is everyone taking the news as gospel?

NZT-One

You don't look back on those signings after a few years, United need immediate results but if you want the best wingers you need to slump up the cash. Sancho will come good, so would Antony but the first season is usually a write off.
And who tells us that Anthony is one of the "best wingers"? We don't even know about Sancho, he isn't in his 1st year anymore and until this point, it still doesn't look particularly promising. Plus you can be sure there hasn't been any intensive scouting on the player or thorough checks. He is flashy but a year ago, most people didn't know about his existence (iirc). Splashing 60 millions on Casemiro is one thing, the guy at least has proven multiple times what he is worth, Anthony hasn't and money we spend today can't be spent tomorrow, it is gone. We need to start to be smart, the damage has been done, it can't be undone by throwing money on it. If we'd be talking about 50 million tops, I'd say alright, but more than that is borderline insane. This is exactly what we shouldn't do. It is exactly what planning should avoid. We didn't plan, we have to face the consequences. Doubling down on the issue is high risk and lets face it, we aren't going to challenge this year anyway - so why do stupid stuff?!

Daslogisch

Supports
Ajax
Just out of curiosity, Frenkie or Antony if you could only sign one?
Frenkie, no doubt.
I'll not pretend I watch any Eredivisie.

Anyone on here regularly watch Antony and think he can make the step up?
He absolutely can. Potential world class. However he won't change United overnight. Frenkie would definitely have a bigger impact on your game. Casemiro hopefully too. Antony would be an impact in the next stage. United first need to transform into a team that can actually wirhstand pressure and bring players like Antony into a good position. I do however believe he's a potential world class player. The best attacking player to play Eredivisie since Suarez. The latter one clearly did have more impressive stats though. There are some good reasons why Antony doesn't, but it's also something he has to work on.

gaffs

Theoretically, if United start playing half decent again and we somehow finish top 4 (or at least challenge for top 4).

BUT, Anthony, Martinez and Malacia turn out to be total flops.

Where does that leave ETH?

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Re. These figures, I really think people need to start factoring in we’re at the end of the transfer window now and June and July prices are now redundant. You might as well start with whatever base figure you have in mind as the original, sensible price point and then add on the late window tax + the ‘we see your predicament tax’ + the ‘you’re Manchester United’ tax as well as the ‘you’ve got money to burn’ tax and then see what the revised figures come out as.

We fecked the window for ourselves and these doubly-inflated figures are the consequence. Talking about June/July rates is simply not living in the reality we’ve concocted.
True words.

We made our bed, now we have to sleep in it.

edcunited1878

Playing Elanga more than he should be played. That's what is wrong. And having to play Marcus when he needs to be dropped.

skc_18

I doubt he will be on big wages. He is coming from Dutch league so probably on lower wage there so even if we double or triple his wage it wont be too high.
How this deal could be different from other deals is that the wages are in the region of 150-200K. I dont think we will offer him more than what Rashford , Martial are making.
If the wages are around 150K I dont think fee matters because over 3 years (assuming we renew at 3 years) we will save closer to ~20m.

MUnchies

I am so confused now. Before and after our two loses people on here having been going crazy about needing to sign about five players at least to the point that the Ralf Rangnick thread has been bumped about 20 pages, talking about how justified he was. The club then feels the pressure and are now spending the money the fans say belong to the club not their pockets and we have people complaining about fees?

After our start to the season I am surprised people are fussed about fees. If they are quality and will take us up levels who cares?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Theoretically, if United start playing half decent again and we somehow finish top 4 (or at least challenge for top 4).

If ETH manages to finish top four this season absolutely nobody will give a feck how his signings went.

And if he manages to do it while three of his major signings flop then that'll be a hell of a ride.

But the reality is that even with Antony and Casemiro we'll still be very much favoured not to finish inside the top four, so we're unlikely to find out.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location

Or, theoretically, the opposite, where does that leave Ten Hag?

How about, if Ronaldo scores 50 goals and wins the Ballon D'Or, theoretically ?

You can make up any theoretical argument you like, but what's the point worrying your little head about it when, theoretically, you could get hit by a bus tomorrow?

OverratedOpinion

As a great coach who needs a competent director of football. Sort of where he has been for the past couple of years.

I wouldn't blame him personally.

theklr

You guys need to remember we arent just paying for Antony’s potential G/A , but also his knowledge and suitability to how ETH wants to play (e.g stretching play and inverting)

AndySmith1990

I am so confused now. Before and after our two loses people on here having been going crazy about needing to sign about five players at least to the point that the Ralf Rangnick thread has been bumped about 20 pages, talking about how justified he was. The club then feels the pressure and are now spending the money the fans say belong to the club not their pockets and we have people complaining about fees?

After our start to the season I am surprised people are fussed about fees. If they are quality and will take us up levels who cares?
I can only assume in the make believe world of these people, they imagine us signing 10 new 20 year olds at £20m a pop and they'll all turn out to be hidden gems

Teja

Its clearly too much, but if thats ETH wants at whatever cost, so be it.

De Gea
RB Varane Martinez Malacia
Casemiro
Fred
Antony Eriksen Sancho
Ronaldo
An then next season:
GK
RB Varane Martinez Malacia
Casemiro De Jong
Antony Eriksen Sancho
Nkunku
:drool: :drool:

Alemar

But the reality is that even with Antony and Casemiro we'll still be very much favoured not to finish inside the top four, so we're unlikely to find out.
Of course not. We would need to sign (in addition to Casemiro and Antony) at least 2 more players choosing from a) CM b) RB c) GK

That said, we can definitely partially offset these costs by disposing of circa 10 players

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
You guys need to remember we arent just paying for Antony’s potential G/A , but also his knowledge and suitability to how ETH wants to play (e.g stretching play and inverting)
That would certainly be part of the argument in his favour. You're not just paying for the player, you're paying to expedite the process of us playing like a coherent ETH team.

RedorDead21

I can only assume in the make believe world of these people, they imagine us signing 10 new 20 year olds at £20m a pop and they'll all turn out to be hidden gems
We’ve tried that on our wings and prob wasted 100m on kids never seen again in the last 3 years

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
And who tells us that Anthony is one of the "best wingers"? We don't even know about Sancho, he isn't in his 1st year anymore and until this point, it still doesn't look particularly promising. Plus you can be sure there hasn't been any intensive scouting on the player or thorough checks. He is flashy but a year ago, most people didn't know about his existence (iirc). Splashing 60 millions on Casemiro is one thing, the guy at least has proven multiple times what he is worth, Anthony hasn't and money we spend today can't be spent tomorrow, it is gone. We need to start to be smart, the damage has been done, it can't be undone by throwing money on it. If we'd be talking about 50 million tops, I'd say alright, but more than that is borderline insane. This is exactly what we shouldn't do. It is exactly what planning should avoid. We didn't plan, we have to face the consequences. Doubling down on the issue is high risk and lets face it, we aren't going to challenge this year anyway - so why do stupid stuff?!
I'm saying any young prospect in general you don't really move to a league and the first season is explosive. It's never that easy.

Any top player you might see flashes and that's it. Even Ronaldo coming to United the first time he was annoying to watch at times the first 2 years.

Antony is obviously older, we don't know his ceiling but I expect good things but not great things the first year, maybe the first 2.

You're either going to sign a Casemiro at age 30 and get 2 years, or show patience and buy a 20 year old and wait for a few seasons for them to come good. United need to balance both.

Liverpool obviously bought Salah, Firminho, Mane at 26, 25, 26 respectively and they had experience at the top level. They had played in the league so it didn't take them as long but they also need replacing faster so it's how you balance your squad.

Antony (22) yes obviously is a risk but sometimes you have to pay the money, look at Amad for example. Potential but still skinny, still needs a few seasons on loan.

Tony247

In Today’s climate? 50-60 I would say. The talent is there but for 80+M it’s a risk. We need him though and we are desperate
Big problem here is we are not paying large portion of his fee for his talent but we are paying a huge surcharge because Ajax don't want to sell him this summer.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
After not spending much, all of sudden we are oreoared to spend 150 mil on two players? Without selling a single player? I don't think that this is true

Adamsk7

he could probably be our right winger for 10 yrs so I guess I’m that sense, the £65m upfront fee isn’t that bad.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Of course not. We would need to sign (in addition to Casemiro and Antony) at least 2 more players choosing from a) CM b) RB c) GK

That said, we can definitely partially offset these costs by disposing of circa 10 players
And even then, time matters. Even if we bought all the right players to make us a top four team, it will still take time to coach the team into actually playing to anywhere near their potential. Whereas Conte and Arteta have had a lot longer to get their players tuned in to what's needed.

MUnchies

Exactly :lol: its crazy to me. If there ever was a season where we shouldn't complain about fees paid to get players in then it surely has to be this season. If we have to bring in 10 quality players for 100 million each I am down for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.