Antony | Here we go! €100mill, contract until June 2027, option 'til 2028.

Status
Not open for further replies.

L1nk

Who's this guy, and why should we believe him?
I'm not one to believe these stupid chancer accounts... but some of them know SOMEBODY at least, especially that United Muppetiers account, they were saying United were about to announce Ten Hag about 5/10 minutes before they did and they gave specific timings as to when it would happen... and it happened. I'm not saying they aren't full of shit but they clearly know someone otherwise how could they have known and given specific times

Kaos

Thats too much not worth more than 35.
Fecking United shooting their mouths off that they have 200 mil to burn and getting potentially fleeced
He's definitely worth more than £35million in today's market. He's one of the hottest prospects in Europe and a key player for Ten Hag's Ajax. De Jong and De Ligt were both sold for 75million Euros each, Van De Beek cost us £40million.

What Ajax are asking for isn't exactly Declan Rice levels of gouging.

Bwuk

Never really seen him play but from clips is his touch, close control and dribbling ability he’d absolutely walk into our side.

Suv666

He's definitely worth more than £35million in today's market. He's one of the hottest prospects in Europe and a key player for Ten Hag's Ajax. De Jong and De Ligt were both sold for 75million Euros each, Van De Beek cost us £40million.

What Ajax are asking for isn't exactly Declan Rice levels of gouging.
One of the hottest prospect in Europe is a bit of a stretch. De Jong and De Ligt were much more famous and highly rated. Everyone in Europe were seducing them.
Doubt your casual football fan knows who Antony is.
You might be right about the price though hardly anyone is cheaper than 40 mil these days.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
That's how I see it as well, but I think Rashford could also threaten Sancho for a role in the team. Things might look bleak for Rashford now, but he could turn it around under ten Hag, and that can only be good for us. And with Antony in the team, the attack will look a lot more balanced due to him being a natural as a inverted wide forward on the right side.
I don’t see Rashford leaving but I don’t see him displacing Sancho anytime soon. Sancho could well be the Tadic of ETH’s United.

Rashford has the best chance now to be a meaningful part of a squad. He’ll be a really useful runner in behind if he can stay fit but I think his chances of starting regularly are very slim. I like him but I think injuries are going to catch up to him and we may have seen the best of him already. I don’t see how he’ll cope with the pressing and possible change towards a more possessive approach to football.

I’d be very happy to see something like:

Sancho David* Antony​

The problem is that if that changes to:

Rashford David* Antony​

It looks very direct but I would worry about the balance of creativity there could be devastating in transitions mind.

I’ll be very intrigued to see how Ronaldo would fit into the side as I cannot see Ten Hag deciding he wants to build around him.

Kaos

One of the hottest prospect in Europe is a bit of a stretch. De Jong and De Ligt were much more famous and highly rated. Everyone in Europe were seducing them.
Doubt your casual football fan knows who Antony is.
You might be right about the price though hardly anyone is cheaper than 40 mil these days.
He might not have Mbappe or Haaland levels of hype, but he's still a highly coveted player in Europe. A 22 year old tricky winger who's performed consistently well in the champions league, is in the Brazilian national team and is also allegedly wanted by Barca. He's just as important to this current Ajax team has De Jong/De Ligt were to the 2019 one.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
That 55m would be a composition of guaranteed and add-ons anyway. I’d expect something around 40-45m and then the rest made up of various clauses.

There’s also been a few mentions over the past 6 months of potential interest in Danjuma. I think we may see him as a player who can be converted into a central option. He’s a player that always impressed me at Bournemouth, first in the PL, then I was surprised he was allowed to play in the Championship at all and wasn’t bought. He’s very interesting and will go somewhere or another soon enough.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
That 55m would be a composition of guaranteed and add-ons anyway. I’d expect something around 40-45m and then the rest made up of various clauses.

There’s also been a few mentions over the past 6 months of potential interest in Danjuma. I think we may see him as a player who can be converted into a central option. He’s a player that always impressed me at Bournemouth, first in the PL, then I was surprised he was allowed to play in the Championship at all and wasn’t bought. He’s very interesting and will go somewhere or another soon enough.
My problem with Danjuma (despite finding him an entertaining player to watch) is that he doesn’t get himself high enough up the pitch regularly enough and is a little too interested in beating a man. He’s a bit too low on progressive passes received for my liking despite his high touches in the box. That may seem contradictory but my personal (and possibly controversial opinion having done the “eye test”) is this is a player having one very good but unsustainable season.

I’ll be surprised if he ends up at a top club and having had a closer look at him I’d be disappointed if United signed him.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
My problem with Danjuma (despite finding him an entertaining player to watch) is that he doesn’t get himself high enough up the pitch regularly enough and is a little too interested in beating a man. He’s a bit too low on progressive passes received for my liking despite his high touches in the box. That may seem contradictory but my personal (and possibly controversial opinion having done the “eye test”) is this is a player having one very good but unsustainable season.

I’ll be surprised if he ends up at a top club and having had a closer look at him I’d be disappointed if United signed him.
I disagree with the one-season wonder implication. I’ve been following his progress for about 3 years and this season is almost ‘about time’ to me, it’s been coming.

You may well be correct on your analysis of the specifics of his game. I‘m not necessarily sure of what he could do right now, but I get the impression that he’s a person of interest for our scouts and they feel he could take a next step or two and become something better.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
I disagree with the one-season wonder implication. I’ve been following his progress for about 3 years and this season is almost ‘about time’ to me, it’s been coming.

You may well be correct on your analysis of the specifics of his game. I‘m not necessarily sure of what he could do right now, but I get the impression that he’s a person of interest for our scouts and they feel he could take a next step or two and become something better.
He doesn’t press enough (bottom 1%) and he’s not a RW so we’d be signing him to be a lazy but gifted winger/forward and in a Ten Hag system I think he’d struggle to meet the pressing needs of the team and wouldn’t track back enough either.

Lovely player to watch but not the right one for us.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
He doesn’t press enough (bottom 1%) and he’s not a RW so we’d be signing him to be a lazy but gifted winger/forward and in a Ten Hag system I think he’d struggle to meet the pressing needs of the team and wouldn’t track back enough either.

My suspicion and garnering from the reports was that we would want him to play through the middle. Fair enough on the latter though, football nowadays sees any footballer who is not a presser as an invalid! Perhaps we won’t take the interest any further, who knows, but I’m sure someone will.z

didz

Poor Ajax, we are raiding them empty. There’s talk of getting the Timber lad as well, yeah?
You're hardly bankrupting Hovis if you get two loaves of bread off them - Ajax will keep producing talent.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Fecking United shooting their mouths off that they have 200 mil to burn and getting potentially fleeced
Who at United have said we have 200 mil to spend?

Media outlets have ranged between 20m and 200m.

In fact one crazy source said 300m :houllier: not reliable.

Trex

From what I gather here, he is a bit of a cheating c*nt, that makes him more attractive to me:drool::drool:

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
There are all kind of reports, starting from 20 million to 300 million. It's just a guessing game.

NamedAfterGiggs

He already prominently features for ETH, so how can he not fit the system? Surely no one fits his system more than the players that already know it and have played in it for years.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I'd be quite excited with this signing, £55m is a little more than we'd ideally pay, but he's makes football more enjoyable to watch and I think we could all do with a player like that after the misery of this season. Plus, I'm of the opinion he's one of the Mane/Salah types, in that their next club they'll kick it up a few levels and look a top, top player. He's a little shitbag too, which is something our team sorely lacks.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Who at United have said we have 200 mil to spend?

Media outlets have ranged between 20m and 200m.

In fact one crazy source said 300m :houllier: not reliable.
Yeah, it's pretty obvious no one has a fecking clue :lol: we're keeping our cards close to our chest on that one. I suspect we have a very healthy amount to spend, but would rather avoid overpaying so have leaked that we're playing with a meagre budget.

Adamsk7

We need players that are hungry and looking to kick on in their careers, not superstars.

He’s got all the ability and desire to be a top player. If we got him I’d be comfortable that we’d have two players secured for a dynamic, pressing front three that the top teams play with (the other being Sancho).

I’d love a three of -

Sancho Nkunku Antony

I think Bruno and Donny (don’t laugh) would work well behind those if we had an all action DM alongside them. Bruno needs intelligent runners and Donny needs people with quick interplay.

Kaushal

How does he compare to someone like Raphinha and Mahrez when he was at Leicester regards to pace, skills and maturity in his game ? Any Ajax fan ? Or a regular viewer of him ?

led_scholes

Is it me or the current Brazilian wingers (Raphinha, Richarlison and Antony) psysically look a bit like each other? Maybe its the hair. But even their body type seems similar, albeit richarlison seems taller.

AjaxNL

To be fair, I don't rate him that highly. Obviously he is a good footballer and he has had some crazy matches for us (4 assists against benfica for example) and he is a really fun player to watch (Joga bonito kind of style), but he isn't superquick, doesn't beat a man that often and isn't a prolific goalscorer from the wing. He has all the abovementioned attributes, but doesn't really excell in any one of them. He is a good assister and a constant threat from the wings though. Definitely think he is an upgrade to what you have right now. But not one of the biggest talents around for me.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
To be fair, I don't rate him that highly. Obviously he is a good footballer and he has had some crazy matches for us (4 assists against benfica for example) and he is a really fun player to watch (Joga bonito kind of style), but he isn't superquick, doesn't beat a man that often and isn't a prolific goalscorer from the wing. He has all the abovementioned attributes, but doesn't really excell in any one of them. He is a good assister and a constant threat from the wings though. Definitely think he is an upgrade to what you have right now. But not one of the biggest talents around for me.
Thanks for the info.

I guess it comes down to value and also how much Ten Hag would benefit from having a player used to his style. Maybe more valuable to us because of that.

Also due to his age he may have the ability to add more goals to his game as part of his growth as a player.

NoPace

His big value at Ajax seems to be playing so wide and progressing the ball so well that Mazraoui basically gets to play as a midfielder and give them an extra body in there a good chunk of the time. I don't really see that player on our roster because Wan-Bissaka struggles in possession and Dalot seems like a touchline wingback best case.

So I think if we sign him we'd probably look for that sort of player, unless Ten Hag surprisingly converts someone like McTominay into that role. Alvaro the left back seems like the best academy candidate from what people say on here, but of course he's left-footed.

Livramento looked handy in midfield when I watched a Chelsea youth game and he's a good ball carrier and a proper RB like Mazraoui, I wonder if we could get him in even with Chelsea getting some money for him in the deal.

NoPace

Yeah, he's not that quick, but we're gonna have a hard time getting the ball up the pitch with our defenders not being good on the ball (the best case scenario right now is probably Shaw, Varane, Lindelof, a new DM and I guess Henderson in net) and he seems to excel at getting open wide on the touchline and bringing it forward, right?

Becks00

What do you mean super quick, he looks very fast the few times have watched him. Also, how can he be a joga bonito kind of player and not beat players that often?

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Fair enough mate - want to swap him for another Brazilian?

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Stop trying to sell Maguirodinho, the world's best defender :D
Was thinking more along the lines of Andreas 'pre season Pirlo' Pereira, but Maguireson would be a great De Ligt replacement

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Was thinking more along the lines of Andreas 'pre season Pirlo' Pereira, but Maguireson would be a great De Ligt replacement
I completely forgot he existed and thought you were trying to ship out poor Fred. :( :lol:

AjaxNL

What do you mean super quick, he looks very fast the few times have watched him. Also, how can he be a joga bonito kind of player and not beat players that often?
He is fast when he gets going, but he isn't rapid off the mark. As Ajax is mostly dominating the opponent and there is little space in front of you, being fast on the first few meters is important. He is by no means slow, but his speed never really impressed me. He is agile and lightfooted though, that is a big plus when there is little space to manouvre.

The joga bonita refers to him being an absolute showboat. He has so much tricks up his sleeve and uses them quite often, but those tricks are not always functional.

He is a good player though and would be an instant starter at United. He can definitely cut it in the Premier League, but I don't think he would be a starter at Chelsea, Liverpool or City. That is the bar I set him against. Eur 65 million would be absolutely crazy in my eyes.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
He is fast when he gets going, but he isn't rapid off the mark. As Ajax is mostly dominating the opponent and there is little space in front of you, being fast on the first few meters is important. He is by no means slow, but his speed never really impressed me. He is agile and lightfooted though, that is a big plus when there is little space to manouvre.

The joga bonita refers to him being an absolute showboat. He has so much tricks up his sleeve and uses them quite often, but those tricks are not always functional.

He is a good player though and would be an instant starter at United. He can definitely cut it in the Premier League, but I don't think he would be a starter at Chelsea, Liverpool or City. That is the bar I set him against. Eur 65 million would be absolutely crazy in my eyes.
Thanks, the last sentence is my sentiment too, but I am only basing this from highlight videos.

Status
Not open for further replies.