Antony | Here we go! €100mill, contract until June 2027, option 'til 2028.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaos

Would swap Nkunku with a second midfielder personally. De Jong alongside McTominay does nothing.
I mean it would likely be Fred ahead of McT. But I agree, we also need a number 6 along the lines of a Kamara or Kante.

DarkDog

ETH is not buying Antony. To me it was obvious from his response. Go and check Ziyech stats and tape from his time in Ajax. They both were the same age at ajax, played same position. And you can see for yourself that Hakim had better tape, better stats. Both played under Ten Hag. If Ten Hag was asked about Timber, he said that whole of Europe would be after him. About Antony his answer was just that Ajax would miss him, if he would leave. He might go after Antony if he won't get his first target but imho he doesn't want to take Antony. This opinion might not age well but we'll see :)

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Hoping a mixture of Garner or Levitt makes the cut next to de Jong.
Either of them making the cut will depend on how they take their chance as an understudy at the very best. I certainly hope we don’t plan to take Levitt from Dundee United and put him straight into our first team. Garner has a better chance, but he should also begin as a squad player. McTominay is not good enough and should be replaced.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Either of them making the cut will depend on how they take their chance as an understudy at the very best. I certainly hope we don’t plan to take Levitt from Dundee United and put him straight into our first team. Garner has a better chance, but he should also begin as a squad player. McTominay is not good enough and should be replaced.
Levitt definitely could do with another loan. But I’d be interested to see if he can hit the ground running with us. Especially as a young player under ETH’s tutelage.

Garner I think is ready (although I can see him doing another year on loan as well). I mean it’s a position we really lack quality in. I think between Fred, McT, Garner and Levitt that’s enough as an interim solution for a season.

Nail the likes of Antony, Nkunku, FdJ and Timber this season. Then focus on the holding mid, RB, and possibly a LB for the season after.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Levitt definitely could do with another loan. But I’d be interested to see if he can hit the ground running with us. Especially as a young player under ETH’s tutelage.

Garner I think is ready (although I can see him doing another year on loan as well). I mean it’s a position we really lack quality in. I think between Fred, McT, Garner and Levitt that’s enough as an interim solution for a season.

Nail the likes of Antony, Nkunku, FdJ and Timber this season. Then focus on the holding mid, RB, and possibly a LB for the season after.
I don’t think we need Nkunku at all personally, and decent player as he is, I think he’d be a waste of money.

The Corinthian

I don’t think we need Nkunku at all personally, and decent player as he is, I think he’d be a waste of money.
Fair enough. I think we’d be shooting ourselves in the foot going into the 22/23 season with Ronaldo as our only player capable of playing CF.

Nkunku can play across the front line but also has been excellent as the furthest forward.

Last edited:

Nick.

Would very much take this player. I had hesitations about his output but I think he is what we need to help us progress the ball better.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Fair enough. I think we’d be shooting ourselves in the foot going into the 22/23 season with Ronaldo as our only player capable of playing CF.

Nkunku can play across the front line but also has been excellent as the further forward.
I don’t disagree with your sentiment, I more disagree that Nkunku is the answer. Antony would be adding one more ‘forward’ at least, albeit not a central one. Nkunku may do well, he just doesn’t particularly move me is all.

Becks00

Nkunku can play across the front line but also has been excellent as the further forward.
We can keep Martial as back up. Ronaldo would expect to play a lot next season especially in the league. I don't see why we have to spend a significant amount for an undercover. A RW is a more immediate need in the forward positions imo. We have no one there capable of performing to the required standard if Sancho is going to be on the left and the other guy doesn't get cleared.

The Corinthian

We can keep Martial as back up. Ronaldo would expect to play a lot next season especially in the league. I don't see why we have to spend a significant amount for an undercover. A RW is a more immediate need in the forward positions imo. We have no one there capable of performing to the required standard if Sancho is going to be on the left and the other guy doesn't get cleared.
Martial is shite and Ronaldo is going to be 38. Nkunku would be the CF with Ronaldo the backup.

Becks00

Martial is shite and Ronaldo is going to be 38. Nkunku would be the CF with Ronaldo the backup.
Martial can still contribute and Ronaldo would not be back up next season. Point is they are both sufficient options for the next season if the aim is not to win or challenge for the league. We can always revisit striking options next summer, I think consistent and sustainable chance creation every match is more our problem than finishing. We fix that and I trust a Ronaldo/Martial duo to score a healthy proportion of those chances to keep us competitive through the season.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Martial can still contribute and Ronaldo would not be back up next season. Point is they are both sufficient options for the next season if the aim is not to win or challenge for the league. We can always revisit striking options next summer, I think consistent and sustainable chance creation every match is more our problem than finishing. We fix that and I trust a Ronaldo/Martial duo to score a healthy proportion of those chances to keep us competitive through the season.
No he can't, he's not even hit 10 goals combined over the last 2 seasons. He couldn't care less.

The Corinthian

I don’t understand where this idea that Martial can score a healthy number of goals comes from. He’s scored 2 this season and 7 last season. 9 goals in two years for a forward is just simply not good enough.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Martial will score 25 goals.

Over the next 8 seasons.

Ajaxsuarez

Supports
Ajax
ETH is not buying Antony. To me it was obvious from his response. Go and check Ziyech stats and tape from his time in Ajax. They both were the same age at ajax, played same position. And you can see for yourself that Hakim had better tape, better stats. Both played under Ten Hag. If Ten Hag was asked about Timber, he said that whole of Europe would be after him. About Antony his answer was just that Ajax would miss him, if he would leave. He might go after Antony if he won't get his first target but imho he doesn't want to take Antony. This opinion might not age well but we'll see :)
Ziyech and Antony were the same age at Ajax?

Ziyech joined Ajax at 23 and left at 27.
Antony just turned 22 a couple months ago

Daslogisch

Supports
Ajax
Your priority is with CB's and apparently CM (Frenkie de Jong). I don't see how you're going to spend 60M on a RW when you have Sancho and some other options on the wing as well. Maybe not all of these options are ideal (yet), but to me it seems like there's much more priority in other positions than on the wing. I'm sure Ten Hag will be able to work with players that have already been written off like Rashford or Martial. Also I think it's quite possible that Ten Hag will use Bruno on the wing. In my opinion United has other positions that have more priority and therefore I can't see United spending so much money on a winger (unless United's transfer budget is bigger than I think of course).

bosskeano

i know we need to add something to the spine...ie CB and CM with probably a CF

but we HAVE to find someone on the wing who's got some pace and some balls to him that is willing to run at defenders

rashford, martial and greenwood had that....rashford has gone off the boil and the other two are finished at United

Antony has shown the ability to do that which is why we need to look at bringing him in if the money is right. Getting them to sell both Timber and Antony might be a tall task though.

Becks00

No he can't, he's not even hit 10 goals combined over the last 2 seasons. He couldn't care less.
Contribution doesn't necessarily mean scoring goals and I believe he would put as much effort as he can to succeed anyway not only to make the French squad for the world cup but also to not piss down the rest of his career . He would only be around to cover Ronaldo for a season. I think he is more than capable of doing that, is not like we would be relying on him to score the buck of the goals needed.

Nicoseth

Andrei Kanchelskis made me fall in love with Unite
This lad is a bit special. Would love us to sign him but our priorities have to be elsewhere. CB, 2 CMs and a forward. Maybe he could be the forward but we need a goalscorer which is why I think Nuñez is the preference. There could be lots of twists and turns this summer so who knows.

Mainoldo

Mbappe is off to Real. Smart money is on PSG inquiring about Rashford.

Sell him, invest in Antony. Number 11 will probably be back in the squad by December too.

Thoms

Supports
Ajax
Apparently Newcastle, Liverpool and you guys have shown direct interest.

I can see PSG joining the race as well.

RedDevilRoshi

Apparently Newcastle, Liverpool and you guys have shown direct interest.

I can see PSG joining the race as well.
I think Liverpool will only be in for him if one of or both Salah & Mane leave this summer.

Hammondo

i know we need to add something to the spine...ie CB and CM with probably a CF

but we HAVE to find someone on the wing who's got some pace and some balls to him that is willing to run at defenders

rashford, martial and greenwood had that....rashford has gone off the boil and the other two are finished at United

Antony has shown the ability to do that which is why we need to look at bringing him in if the money is right. Getting them to sell both Timber and Antony might be a tall task though.
Rashford is equally as finished

WhyYouGottaBeSoRuud?

His numbers on FBRef are impressive and he should be considered together with Raphinha as a left footed winger.

F-A-C-T-S

Mbappe is off to Real. Smart money is on PSG inquiring about Rashford.

Sell him, invest in Antony. Number 11 will probably be back in the squad by December too.

Smarter money is on Salah to PSG to fund their rebuild. Antony to Liverpool while we get Antonio Banderas.

Status
Not open for further replies.