Antony | Here we go! €100mill, contract until June 2027, option 'til 2028.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaushal

Good job united, one transfer at a time. Neither sorted out de Jong nor tried to sign any other player. In the meantime, it led to other teams sign Ajax players giving them the money they needed and now they don’t have any necessity to sell so if you want to still sign, pay up ridiculous amount. And by the way, great negotiating with Barcelona all this time, really pulled their pants down.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Good job united, one transfer at a time. Neither sorted out de Jong nor tried to sign any other player. In the meantime, it led to other teams sign Ajax players giving them the money they needed and now they don’t have any necessity to sell so if you want to still sign, pay up ridiculous amount. And by the way, great negotiating with Barcelona all this time, really pulled their pants down.
The early bird catches the worm.

jamesjimmybyrondean

We already got their manager, I don't blame them if they don't want us to butcher their title winning squad on top of that.

On another note, you don't put a price tag on players you categorically don't want to sell...

The Berjwin talk also shows that they're already well aware of the possibility of losing someone like Antony and have made preparations for that.
Huh

jamesjimmybyrondean

My opinion is if they do not want to sell, they would have said those players are not for sale. Instead they put a price tag on their heads which means they are open to selling and certainly open for negotiations
It's literally been said they are open to sell but only at a ridiculous price.

Telsim

So Ajax have no issue in letting players leave to Bayern and Dortmund but have an issue when it comes to us.
Maybe if we weren't an utter joke in the transfer market and had gotten them early, before Bayern and Dortmund had gone and had their pick, leaving Ajax's pocket full and reluctant to sell anymore of their title winning team. We will be down to 3th or 4th choice the way it's going. :lol:

Daslogisch

Supports
Ajax
So Ajax have no issue in letting players leave to Bayern and Dortmund but have an issue when it comes to us.
What a load of nonsense. Mazraoui left on a free, nothing Ajax could do. Ajax wanted to extend Gravenberchs contract, but he rejected and then Ajax had to sell as his contract runs out next year. Haller is a replacable player that Ajax could cash in on now and Ajax didnt want to risk his value to deminish next year. Alvarez apparently can go at a reasonable fee too (€30-35m).

Ajax just wants to keep Timber, Martinez and Antony but Ajax knows that at some point certain offers can't be refused. No one is obliged to buy them and Ajax prefers that no one does. Not just United.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
My opinion is if they do not want to sell, they would have said those players are not for sale. Instead they put a price tag on their heads which means they are open to selling and certainly open for negotiations
Yeh just like Werst Ham put a price tag of 150m on Rice.

AndySmith1990

By all accounts United and Ajax have a good relationship. I imagine it's more to do with Ajax not wanting their entire team ripped apart. If we were as efficient as Dortmund and Bayern and got our business done early we could have got our targets from them first

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
The only issue you can really level at United and Hag is why didn't we make a move sooner ?
If Hag was just going to throw-out the new transfer committees idea's/suggestions from the get off, then just make your moves on Hag's recommendations from the start.

Terranova

Supports
United/Ajax
70-80m euros for him is daylight robbery. Can we just have a transfer go right this summer without every club wanting to shaft us.
That is the point of the asking price. Ajax doesn't want to sell and if some one is foolish enough to bid 70-80m, they'll be happy anyway.
People need to realize that asking prices don't have to be realistic

Frank Grimes

let's add to that poor spending with the renewals of jones, mata, lingard...etc. we can't keep doing that either. The same guy who was reponsible for those decisions thank fuk is now gone.

you have to back the manager with the guys he feels fits what he wants but that is why guys like Murtough and Arnold get paid what they do for negotiating contracts and transfers.
Ten Hag wanting Antony doesn't mean he wants United to spend 60m on him. There is risk reward involved and many positions to be strengthened, we have a budget. Forgoing strengthening a position over a super talent might be excusable but Antony is potential and not worth that risk.

MUFC OK

That is the point of the asking price. Ajax doesn't want to sell and if some one is foolish enough to bid 70-80m, they'll be happy anyway.
I mean, hard to see him ever being worth 70-80m euros. Ajax know their buyer. If this was Bayern they'd get him for 50m.

Judas

Open to offers
Well yeah obviously? No one’s spending that on him, he was a risk at 50m. So Ajax will be happy, but the player probably less so.

Terranova

Supports
United/Ajax
I mean, hard to see him ever being worth 70-80m euros. Ajax know their buyer. If this was Bayern they'd get him for 50m.
depends on how he'll do on a bigger stage. But it's not Ajax upping the price for United, it's Ajax upping the price for everyone else. Has nothing to do with United, they just don't want to sell him.

Well yeah obviously? No one’s spending that on him, he was a risk at 50m. So Ajax will be happy, but the player probably less so.
Well it isn't obvious to some people here in the thread. But i'm not sure Antony will be that unhappy. Like Timber he's only just made the Brazil squad, so playing at Ajax for at least 6 months and making the World Cup squad wouldn't be a bad thing.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
United " Now that you've sold everybody, can we sign one of your players ? "
Ajax "Umm, No !"
United "DOH!"

MUFC OK

depends on how he'll do on a bigger stage. But it's not Ajax upping the price for United, it's Ajax upping the price for everyone else. Has nothing to do with United, they just don't want to sell him.
Ajax is a selling club. They will sell Antony for less than 70m euros in my opinion, just trying their hand to get the best deal as they know ETH is serious in his interest.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
There is? Are you saying that €30 million equals £14 million? Because as far as I can gather, it's around £25 million? Am I misunderstanding or just a moron?
No I was wrong sorry. €1 = £0.86 roughly. So €70 Million is around £60 Million. The £40 million we thought we could get him for around equates to €46 Million.

Kaushal

Things are changing. Different people in charge. A plan in place. A proper structure. A different transfer strategy. Not repeating the mistakes. Don Murtough working 7am - 11pm on transfers.

dasty

The amount of "PL proven" posts reminds me of Longstaff. This place was clamoring us to sign him because he was young and PL proven :lol:.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
To be fair, the Murtough transfer committee may have had different players in mind before Hag came onboard and started to get all tunnel visioned on bringing his gang back together.

MUFC OK

The amount of "PL proven" posts reminds me of Longstaff. This place was clamoring us to sign him because he was young and PL proven :lol:.
Longstaff isnt even PL proven i.e. one of the best players in the league not at a top 6 club.

Signing from other leagues brings less pressure to be fair because if they are shit in the first season it's fine as they need time to "adapt to the league".

Daslogisch

Supports
Ajax
No they would not cause Ajax does not want to sell. Antony could be worth 80m next year. Darwin Nunez is no more a supertalent than Antony and comes from a similar club/league. His stats warrant a higher fee at this point, but Antony has all the tools to get the same hype. With a WC coming up and Antony starting for Brazil the last 2 games before his injury and another CL season coming up it's totally in the cards that Antony will be worth €80m or even more next season. And if he only plays well without being phenomenal, then Ajax can still get €55-60m. That's why Ajax wont sell for that amount now, cause for one Ajax want to keep him one more year and secondly there's a big potential upside on this amount and not a very big downside.

United should just move on. Honestly I wonder if this has ever been really serious anyway. I'm pretty sure Ten Hag must have known Ajax's asking price quite well. United don't need a winger that much and should not spend that kind of money on a winger at this point. CM, CB and RB should have more priority. With FdJ being your number one target you can't even afford Antony (going by the reports that you have £120m to spend). Ten Hag must have known this all along. Besides that, after you get FdJ your priority should be much more in a CB and RB in my opinion. With Sancho you have a class winger and Ten Hag is a good manager who should be able to make Rashford or Elanga work or stick Bruno on the wing like he did with Ziyech at Ajax. I understand that he would go for Antony if he had £250m to spend, but with the money available you have bigger priorities IMO.

Last edited:

MUFC OK

And if he only plays well without being phenomenal, then Ajax can still get €55-60m. That's why Ajax wont sell for that amount now, cause for one Ajax want to keep him one more year and secondly there's a big potential upside on this amount and not a very big downside.
David Neres.

Kramer

This De Jong transfer is really holding us back. You get the impression that we have put everything else on hold. Meanwhile, Ajax have basically shut up shop for the summer. Surely this should have all been co-ordinated more efficiently? I wonder who we will be scrambling around for now?
We’ll wait around till the end of the window and eventually unveil Martial, VDB and Amad as our new signings.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
We'd be mad to pay anything like those kind of fees. What are our scouts actually doing?

Baneofthegame

No they would not cause Ajax does not want to sell. Antony could be worth 80m next year. Darwin Nunez is no more a supertalent than Antony and comes from a similar club/league. His stats warrant a higher fee at this point, but Antony has all the tools to get the same hype. With a WC coming up and Antony starting for Brazil the last 2 games before his injury and another CL season coming up it's totally in the cards that Antony will be worth €80m or even more next season. And if he only plays well without being phenomenal, then Ajax can still get €55-60m. That's why Ajax wont sell for that amount now, cause for one Ajax want to keep him one more year and secondly there's a big potential upside on this amount and not a very big downside.
Well, I’d argue there’s just as much risk as reward, not that I blame Ajax for wanting a huge price.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
To be fair, the Murtough transfer committee may have had different players in mind before Hag came onboard and started to get all tunnel visioned on bringing his gang back together.
Oh stop with this fecking nonsense please.

Liverpool have a transfer committee too. One which was spearheaded by Edwards, (who has now left the club) who at the time had FAR less experience than Murtough does. All on the transfer committee has 1 vote. Klopps vote counts for 2. So stop with this constant taking a big shit on the club you're supposed to love.

AndySmith1990

Oh stop with this fecking nonsense please.

Liverpool have a transfer committee too. One which was spearheaded by Edwards, (who has now left the club) who at the time had FAR less experience than Murtough does. All on the transfer committee has 1 vote. Klopps vote counts for 2. So stop with this constant taking a big shit on the club you're supposed to love.
Why are you always so angry :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.