Antony | Here we go! €100mill, contract until June 2027, option 'til 2028.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dazzmondo

Antony is wanted by Ajax staff and young. Haller isn't good enough and rather old. So that's why the sold him for this price.
Haller has been brilliant for Ajax. To suggest he "isn't good enough" is an absolutely ridiculous suggestion. He's also not exactly ancient at the age of 28.

BarstoolProphet

They charged peanuts on Mazrawi, Gravenberch and Haller and they want stupid money from us on Antony and Lisandro Martinez
Mazraoui was free, Gravenberch one year left on the contract. And Haller is just a bit shit, so Ajax probably felt he wouldn't be able to replicate his goalscoring form next season.

SAFMUTD

Antony is wanted by Ajax staff and young. Haller isn't good enough and rather old. So that's why the sold him for this price.
Eredivise's top scorer, best goal per minute ratio, 3rd best scorer in the UCL (12 goals) and just turned 28.

How is that not good enough and old?

SAFMUTD

They charged peanuts on Mazrawi, Gravenberch and Haller and they want stupid money from us on Antony and Lisandro Martinez
Thing is they don't want to lose 5-6 of their starting players. We should have done business quickly, we waited they don't need the money and want to keep their core players.

Unless Antony puts up a fuss I don't think Ajax will lower their asking price. If so then we should let him pass, he's not a 70M winger by any means at this point.

Mazraoui - out of contract
Gravenberch - expiring in '23
Haller - bang average, at best - lot of Ajax fans wanted Brobbey starting over him.

Antony - world class potential
Martinez - Ajax player of the season

I'm not that surprised by the fees they're asking. Martinez is maybe a bit overvalued, just because - as much as people want to say it's no issue at all - a 5'9 centre back isn't ideal. He has a lot of other qualities though.

I think if we could get Antony for £55m and Martinez for £35m it'd be about right. Much more than that and we probably start looking elsewhere.

SAFMUTD

Mazraoui was free, Gravenberch one year left on the contract. And Haller is just a bit shit, so Ajax probably felt he wouldn't be able to replicate his goalscoring form next season.
Why on earth is everyone saying Haller is shit? He just had a world-class season ffs.

jesperjaap

Same. Personally can’t understand people wanting to fill all our gaps with completely average £20m players just to satisfy their OCD. This is the time we need quality.
I know there are other determining factors as to why we were so poor last season and why people with the new staff think we can be better.....but would you really be happy with two signings?

We made three quality signings last summer, yet failed to strengthen crucial areas, do you really think these two strengthen us enough to finish in the top four when other sides around us that finished higher are strengthening already too, they are not going to stand still.

I havent seen anywhere near enough of Antony to make a judgement, I do think DejOng is a top top player, concerens over his will to play here but he is a quality player no doubt.

He is fantastic in both keeping possesion and progressing it and an intelligent player.....but minus the intelligence which none of our other midfielders have without the ball, does he really improve us defensively without possesion....and in us we are talking about for me one of the worst sides last season in the while division without the ball the holes we left and inability to press or tackle or read the game.

Not jus tthat, he is playing in from of possibly DAlot as our starting right back, Lindelof if Varane is unjured and possibly a poor performing Maguire with Shaw injured and Telles starting on the other flank....and then in front of him we have a player who 12months ago was getting compared to the worlds best and now people are realising his consistency with the ball is pretty poor within 90mins.

I agree we need quality, but we certainly need numbers too, nothing to do with OCD. We sign DeJOng and ANtony, we still just as likely if no tmore to finish outside of the top four next season, we NEED four players I feel and thats way under plugging up all the gaps

NYAS

I know there are other determining factors as to why we were so poor last season and why people with the new staff think we can be better.....but would you really be happy with two signings?

We made three quality signings last summer, yet failed to strengthen crucial areas, do you really think these two strengthen us enough to finish in the top four when other sides around us that finished higher are strengthening already too, they are not going to stand still.

I havent seen anywhere near enough of Antony to make a judgement, I do think DejOng is a top top player, concerens over his will to play here but he is a quality player no doubt.

He is fantastic in both keeping possesion and progressing it and an intelligent player.....but minus the intelligence which none of our other midfielders have without the ball, does he really improve us defensively without possesion....and in us we are talking about for me one of the worst sides last season in the while division without the ball the holes we left and inability to press or tackle or read the game.

Not jus tthat, he is playing in from of possibly DAlot as our starting right back, Lindelof if Varane is unjured and possibly a poor performing Maguire with Shaw injured and Telles starting on the other flank....and then in front of him we have a player who 12months ago was getting compared to the worlds best and now people are realising his consistency with the ball is pretty poor within 90mins.

I agree we need quality, but we certainly need numbers too, nothing to do with OCD. We sign DeJOng and ANtony, we still just as likely if no tmore to finish outside of the top four next season, we NEED four players I feel and thats way under plugging up all the gaps
It’s certainly not enough, but there are several mitigating factors here. The market in terms of options is a bit shit for most of the profiles we need, it’s a WC year which means most players want to stay and not risk their place in a squad, and we have a new head coach; players probably want to see whether we show signs of improvement first before joining a project that has consistently ended in disaster over the last decade.

It’s just the harsh reality of the situation we’re in and I trust ETH to make it work enough for next season, rather than be lumbered with players who may plug a gap for a season or two but aren’t of the requisite quality for where we want to be.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Since he's so eager to leave I think a deal is possible for less than what they want but still quite high. I think 55m is fair.

Why on earth is everyone saying Haller is shit? He just had a world-class season ffs.
Ajax fans - who watched him every week - are nearly unanimous in disliking him as a player and wanting him out:

A static striker who 'needs to be served' is so easy to defend once the opponent understands the concept. The lack of speed, depth, creativity made me cry, especially after Antony dropped out. And Haller was, really, an eminent part of that problem.
He has done what I expected: occasionally poke a ball (20 in the Eredivisie is really not that special but to be honest, in the CL he has often scored above expectations) and contribute very little
This fee for one of our worst strikers in memory if you look at the whole picture, and who showed himself as such an easy replaceable player. A perfect deal. Look how Brobbey came in fluid and there was no change at all. Brobbey is not a good player. Neither is Haller.
A man with stone boots who didn't score a single time outside the 16 yards. Not once. We beat Dortmund at their game by having a reference point who inflates his statistics and hoping people watch the scoreboard and not the footbal

Those aren't cherry picked either. There's a couple of posters who think he's decent, but the overwhelming majority think he's pretty bad.

STYLOISRED

Ajax fans - who watched him every week - are nearly unanimous in disliking him as a player and wanting him out:

Those aren't cherry picked either. There's a couple of posters who think he's decent, but the overwhelming majority think he's pretty bad.
This is the Ajax/Barca total football arrogance on full display. Any striker that doesn't fit the "philosophy" is seen as shit.

SAFMUTD

I didnt really watched Ajax besides the UCL, but Haller stats are impressive. I find it really strange to see Ajax fans disliking him? I mean it you may not love a player, but to dislike someone who's the league's top scorer and top 3 UCL scorer, it's kind of weird.

Aeryis

The highlights are good, but if I watch full matches of Antony I instantly noticed that his take on abilities against fullbacks isn't very impressive. He's not slow, but he doesn't have a distinctive burst of pace comparable to Mane in his prime, Neymar, Mbappe, and other world class wingers. I just don't think he'd be worth the quoted price at all and we'd be stupid to go for it. There are other wingers in Europe.

Dazzmondo

Haller - bang average, at best - lot of Ajax fans wanted Brobbey starting over him.

I'm not that surprised by the fees they're asking. Martinez is maybe a bit overvalued, just because - as much as people want to say it's no issue at all - a 5'9 centre back isn't ideal. He has a lot of other qualities though.

I think if we could get Antony for £55m and Martinez for £35m it'd be about right. Much more than that and we probably start looking elsewhere.
If any Ajax fans are suggesting a striker who scored 34 goals for them last season is bang average and shouldn't be starting, you probably shouldn't be listening to their opinion on anything else either.

croadyman

Thing is they don't want to lose 5-6 of their starting players. We should have done business quickly, we waited they don't need the money and want to keep their core players.

Unless Antony puts up a fuss I don't think Ajax will lower their asking price. If so then we should let him pass, he's not a 70M winger by any means at this point.
Yeah if he isn't willing to push for it, maybe even put in transfer request otherwise no chance of a deal happening at all

Daslogisch

Supports
Ajax
I didnt really watched Ajax besides the UCL, but Haller stats are impressive. I find it really strange to see Ajax fans disliking him? I mean it you may not love a player, but to dislike someone who's the league's top scorer and top 3 UCL scorer, it's kind of weird.
Ajax fans don't dislike Haller. Most are greatfull for his contributions. Over 1,5 years he's done reasonable well. Great CL run, some very important goals in the league as well as some very poor performances at times as well. Ajax generally plays total football (or tries to do so) and the striker position is really important for link up play. Haller is quite poor in that. Haller is a very good player in the box, but outside the box he's mediocre and frustrating at times. Besides that he's quite slow as well, so you basicly can't send him one on one with the goalkeeper if he has some space to cover and there's any defenders close. Besides that he is 28 years old, so he's not going to improve those things very much, if at all.

Above all, Haller was part of a great team that set him up in very good positions many times. If the team is less great in the next seasons, Haller would have a problem. There was a severe risk that his value would deminish in the next year. Ajax paid a high fee (for Ajax standards) on him. Based on his fantastic CL run, this was the time to cash out on it. With the biggest talents there's enough reason to think they will do it again. Therefore Ajax fans want the club to keep Antony and Timber for example. With Haller most people could see that it's not unreasonable to think that he would be struggling much more, which would deminish his value. Therefore most fans are happy we got him sold. Haller did reasonably well in the league and did great in the CL, but he is not irreplaceble.

Terranova

Supports
United/Ajax
If any Ajax fans are suggesting a striker who scored 34 goals for them last season is bang average and shouldn't be starting, you probably shouldn't be listening to their opinion on anything else either.
Or Ajax fans aren't so easily satisfied by a striker that runs at most 10mph, misses a few 100% chances a game. Statistics aren't everything. If you are the striker for Ajax in the eredivisie, you'll get a lot of chances per match for an easy tap in. It's not that impressive.

croadyman

So basically would need around £155-£160m to sign those two and De Jong, so with talk of a £120m budget it's safe to say we need to raise around £35m from somewhere

croadyman

The highlights are good, but if I watch full matches of Antony I instantly noticed that his take on abilities against fullbacks isn't very impressive. He's not slow, but he doesn't have a distinctive burst of pace comparable to Mane in his prime, Neymar, Mbappe, and other world class wingers. I just don't think he'd be worth the quoted price at all and we'd be stupid to go for it. There are other wingers in Europe.
Like?

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
He’s probably the only player that actually wants to sign for us but the thing that will get in the way is the price tag for him. No one wants to join this declining club! We’re losing players to other clubs left right and centre..: the guy from derby is choosing palace over us ffs. Madness! Once a big club who use to dominate transfer windows and everyone jumped at the chance to sign for us… those days are long gone. Very sad.

Stacks

70M for a winger from the eredivise? I mean his numbers are not even impressive. 8 goals and 4 assists. Ajax can keep him, no one's going near that much for him. 40M is fair for both parts.
So Haller went for a cheap price, but here they want crazy money
we dont get bargains.

why does he have world class potential? He is 22 already

Status
Not open for further replies.