Antony | Here we go! €100mill, contract until June 2027, option 'til 2028.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GledTheRed

didnt make the last 2 squads for example
and of his 9 caps
Venezuela - played 13 mins as a sub
Columbia - played 19 mins as a sub
Uruguay - played 29 mins as a sub
Columbia - played 26 mins as a sub
Argentina - played 21 mins as a sub
Ecuador - played 27 mins as a sub
Paraguay - played 29 mins as a sub
Chile - started - played 75 mins and subbed off
Bolivia - started - played 77 mins and subbed off

Im not convinced these 316 mins have fully booked his place in the squad when you consider he might not be playing week in / week out if he joins us and some of those games he played ion came when more established players were injured. (or didnt want to travel to south america for qualifying games)

Looks a talent - but not sure I think he's going to be a star of the world cup - not even sure he's gonna make it there
He was injured at the end of the season.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I think Antony is a good player, a real classic inverted winger. I just don't see how he's a fit for United unless you guys also sign a proper overlapping right fullback ala Mazraoui.
Opponents usually double mark Antony and he needs help from a attack minded fullback to still be a threat and do his magic. Antony's game suffered quite heavily when Mazraoui was injured and Rensch had to fill in.
Not sure if Dalot is good enough and AWB is certainly a no go combination with Antony. People pointing at his stats do not watch him. He could've had a dozen more assist if Haller was not that wasteful. Trademark is his crossing to 2nd post ala same as Ziyech. Looks like a very drilled thing from ETH.
I think we will convert Elanga into a RB. He fits the type of fullback ETH wants, he will get a lot of room down the flank to fly passed Antony and have decent end product when required.

He will be more of a threat in the box both aerially and on the floor than either of AWB or Dalot. Defensively will be the only area he will need to prove himself.

If we are playing a high line though his speed will help him get out of a lot of positioning errors.

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
I think we will convert Elanga into a RB. He fits the type of fullback ETH wants, he will get a lot of room down the flank to fly passed Antony and have decent end product when required.

He will be more of a threat in the box both aerially and on the floor than either of AWB or Dalot. Defensively will be the only area he will need to prove himself.

If we are playing a high line though his speed will help him get out of a lot of positioning errors.
That's Just wishful thinking, this isn't happening.

joedirt87

dalot is willing to attack as a fullback. the end product is awful but he's willing and will overlap. now if AWB ends up starting that's a different story, or maybe there is another player that will get a shot to win the RB job in preseason.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
dalot is willing to attack as a fullback. the end product is awful but he's willing and will overlap. now if AWB ends up starting that's a different story, or maybe there is another player that will get a shot to win the RB job in preseason.
Wan Bissaka is far better going forward than Dalot, who is useless in every phase.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
That's Just wishful thinking, this isn't happening.
You can't definitely say that it is or isn't. It's definitely an option that I can see us considering.

Sancho and Antony will be first choice wingers. Rashford next if he gets his form back. Where else is Elanga going to play? I think he'd be open to it as RB is our weakest spot.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Wan Bissaka is far better going forward than Dalot, who is useless in every phase.
I dont agree at all. And I also think Dalot is alot better than Wan Bissaka in the build up phase.

In fact, Wan Bissaka is so poor at passing the ball there is zero chance EtH will work with him. Dalot is not good either, but not anywhere close to being as useless as Wan Bissaka.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Frenkie is the most important one but for me; i want this guy. Finally some flair in attack. Something which we are missing last few seasons.

SATA

To be fair to our wingers, those Antony stats are mostly from the Dutch league? Of course if he comes here and replicate that, then yeah let’s shite on all our wingers then

Muchibwa

Supports
Chelsea
Will he make the squad / team?

Neymar, Jesus, Vinicius will all make the team I think

Firminho, Richarlison probably ahead of him

Anthony, Rodrygo, Martinelli, Rahpina probably fighting it out for one or two squad places?

i hope we get him but Im not expecting too much in his first season (be great if he overachieves that)... not sure is he would be a starter or impact sub for us at the start so a big ask for him to not only get in the brazil squad but to get game time and have an amazing WC
He will definitely play, the question is if he will start

Tallis

Interesting that Sancho created almost as many chances as Antony but had a lot less goal involvements - I suspect a large part of it is because he was surrounded by average players who couldn’t capitalise.

onemanarmy

To be fair to our wingers, those Antony stats are mostly from the Dutch league? Of course if he comes here and replicate that, then yeah let’s shite on all our wingers then
Yeah, no comparison to be fair. I'd say that for the Dutch league where Ajax score goals for fun, his stats are modest.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Interesting that Sancho created almost as many chances as Antony but had a lot less goal involvements - I suspect a large part of it is because he was surrounded by average players who couldn’t capitalise.
If you look at the advanced stats — Sancho was pretty much great at everything but the G/A’s. He’ll get there, there’s too much talent not to.

Daslogisch

Supports
Ajax
Obviously I know inflation I just don’t think they can demand the same price as say Raphina for instance.
Ajax certainly can. Antony is 3 years younger and has a higher ceiling. He has been starting in the NT the last few games as well. I think both have done well for the NT when they played and it's hard to say who's ahead in the pecking order and likely to start in the WC. This will quite certainly be decided in the first half of next season I guess.

I understand Raphinha has PL inflation, but nevertheless Antony should be at least as expensive as Raphinha. Both have different qualities, but at this moment they are probably about the same level. Antony at 22 has much more room to grow however and unlike Raphinha has played at CL and for a club with the pressure to win games every week and fight for titles. For a top club, I think Antony is a safer bet than Raphinha.

Dazzmondo

ETH's full backs underlap more than they overlap. For this it's extremely important that they are good passers of the ball. Dalot suits this. I don't personally think Elanga excels at any of the things ETH would need from his full back. I don't really see him contributing much at all tbh. Could see him going on loan.

Aeryis

Raphinha and Bruno would be a disaster back in the same team in the Prem.

The ball retention and recovery/interceptions numbers are part of the reason why ETH loves Antony.

Pino would be such an interesting prospect if he didn't have a 100m clause...
Forget Antony and Raphinha, holy shit Diaby looks incredible compared to them. His dribbling rate is fantastic. Why aren't we in for HIM?

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Stop watching highlight vids! Watch all touches in a game compilations.
I think he's alright, but I'm worried he's just going to be a Depay, who I never rated.
Depay had 30 goal contributions a season prior to joining. Anthony is sitting on 8 goals.
Useless graph. First of all ED is a piss easy, slow, league lacking in physicality and second Ajax is a far more dominant team in the league than MU was last season.

Most of our wingers would score 20+ in that league. Isn't Tadic still hitting those numbers at 57?

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Depay had 30 goal contributions a season prior to joining. Anthony is sitting on 8 goals.

Useless graph. First of all ED is a piss easy, slow, league lacking in physicality and second Ajax is a far more dominant team in the league than MU was last season.

Most of our wingers would score 20+ in that league. Isn't Tadic still hitting those numbers at 57?
Yeah but if Antony is more hardworking (and he looks like a tireless worker to be fair) + is also someone who is of better technical quality then he may do well

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
My brother in Christ, may I please know how have you come to that conclusion?
The old fashioned way brother. Watching Wan-Bissaka play football and watching Dalot play football. No internet surfing, no consensus searching, just a pair of eyes and 28 years of watching many football games weekly.

Suv666

Not one semi decent source has said this is on. Hold your horses lads.

Gandalf

ETH's full backs underlap more than they overlap. For this it's extremely important that they are good passers of the ball. Dalot suits this. I don't personally think Elanga excels at any of the things ETH would need from his full back. I don't really see him contributing much at all tbh. Could see him going on loan.
You did not just suggest that Dalot is a good passer. This is not a comedy club sir, I suggest you check your eyesight.

Daslogisch

Supports
Ajax
Will he make the squad / team?

Neymar, Jesus, Vinicius will all make the team I think

Firminho, Richarlison probably ahead of him

Anthony, Rodrygo, Martinelli, Rahpina probably fighting it out for one or two squad places?

i hope we get him but Im not expecting too much in his first season (be great if he overachieves that)... not sure is he would be a starter or impact sub for us at the start so a big ask for him to not only get in the brazil squad but to get game time and have an amazing WC
If he does go to United and be a benchplayer his chances on the WC would drop of course. I think he'd start a lot of games though. But I don' think United will get him. Ajax have no interest in selling him and will only do so at an OTT price. United won't match that. I also think United has at least three positions with more priority.

Antony started the last 2 games for Brazil and has done i well when he played. I am pretty sure he'll be at the WC unless has a dramatic form drop, injury or makes a transfer and doesn't play much. I am pretty sure he's ahead of Rodrygo and Martinelli in the pecking order. In your list I'd put him (and Raphinha) in the list with Richarlison and Firmino. If you ask me he's ahead of Richarlison on the wing as well, but of course Richarlison has the advantage that he can play as a 9 too.

Dazzmondo

You did not just suggest that Dalot is a good passer. This is not a comedy club sir, I suggest you check your eyesight.
Dalot's passing is fine. His defensive positioning is very poor and his crossing isn't the best but he's good at progressing the ball and he completes most of the simple passes he attempts.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Half of Depay's goals were from free kicks he was never going to replicate in the PL.
5 FKs, 2 penalties. Total of 28 goals and 8 assists.

It would be unprecedented for a bloke with 8 goals in the ED to hack it at a big club in a top league in the bosman era.
I like him and he's talented, but if he's not banging them in for fun every game, he's nowhere near ready.
I'm going to look like an idiot when we sign him, aren't I?

Trex

Yeah, no comparison to be fair. I'd say that for the Dutch league where Ajax score goals for fun, his stats are modest.
Yes but it shows his propensities, he is very creativity while looking to score as well.
Keeps the ball well and gets involved in general play a lot.
Those stats may drop in the EPL, but mind you he did it in the UCL as well.

diarm

It's true, but he still stacks up well when you compare in a competition they all played in (bar Martial):

Idxomer

5 FKs, 2 penalties. Total of 28 goals and 8 assists.

It would be unprecedented for a bloke with 8 goals in the ED to hack it at a big club in a top league in the bosman era.
I like him and he's talented, but if he's not banging them in for fun every game, he's nowhere near ready.
I'm going to look like an idiot when we sign him, aren't I?
7 FKs and 2 penalties in the league according to transfermarket, he scored 22 goals in the league.

Antony's output is slightly concerning but from what I've seen he makes up for it in his general play and workrate.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Our player we're fecking sh*te last year. A Goldfish would stack up well against them.

Status
Not open for further replies.