Antony | Here we go! €100mill, contract until June 2027, option 'til 2028.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dazzmondo

Or Barcelona.
FDJ is a world class player so that fee isn't too bad. It's just that we should be getting him a bit cheaper considering Barca's financial situation. None of the other players we've been linked with are anywhere near that level atm, yet we're being quoted similar prices

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
FDJ is a world class player so that fee isn't too bad. It's just that we should be getting him a bit cheaper considering Barca's financial situation. None of the other players we've been linked with are anywhere near that level atm, yet we're being quoted similar prices
Yet posters have been saying since about day two of De Jong transfer rumours that we should ‘walk away’ as the deal had already taken too long for their liking.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
What a totally pointless comparison of stats that is. One plays in a team that almost got relegated but also was in the hardest league in the world and the other plays for the top team in a much poorer league.
His stats (especially for pass completion/possession/losing the ball) were not much better for Rennes or Sporting.

We already have Bruno who treats the ball like a live grenade, having two players like that while we're trying to play possession football would be mental.

NYAS

I'd be happy with just him and De Jong to be honest. Can't fix everything in one window.
Same. Personally can’t understand people wanting to fill all our gaps with completely average £20m players just to satisfy their OCD. This is the time we need quality.

Dazzmondo

You mean three transfers that we know we have an interest in, and one at Benfica. Maybe ETH thought we could get them cheaper than we can? We will always be quoted top dollar, because we are always after the best players and we are a rich club.
I hope we are working on stuff that's unknown but normally there's at least some brief link even for deals that aren't reported widely until the last min. Maybe a Malacia would be an example. It concerns me that I've seen stuff suggesting ETH is making transfer decisions on his own. That's not the way most top clubs are run. All of the players our scouting team seemed to be suggesting, everything has suddenly gone completely quiet on them, and from the outside at least it looks like ETH is only interested in signing players he worked with previously. It's fine to get 1 or 2 in that already know your style but if we're literally only going for those type of players, especially so many from Ajax, of course they're going to hold us up to ransom since we seemingly have no alternatives. I also have serious doubts about some of the players at Ajax having the ability to come into the PL and perform. The difference in quality between the 2 leagues is absolutely massive, and at the very least it will take them sometime to adjust to the pace and intensity of the league.

Dazzmondo

Yet posters have been saying since about day two of De Jong transfer rumours that we should ‘walk away’ as the deal had already taken too long for their liking.
Well I don't agree with that. It's the other players we're linked with that I'm talking about

DeGea’sFeet

He is talented of course but I'm just not convinced he would do well here.
Lots of small players have succeeded in the Prem. If anything now it’s probably easier than 20 years ago for smaller players. It’s more about the “mentality” to adapt to the physical some do and some mentally can’t.

Don’t forget in league li La Liga, used because it’s where a player like Antony might go, it’s still very physical and probably more dirty but more off the ball as opposed to when he’ll have the ball.

Rolaholic

Are we really talking about size when it comes to wingers?

We signed Memphis who was a physical freak/specimen at winger and he struggled.

We've also seen the likes of Hazard, Sterling, Grealish and Bernardo Silva all take to the league quite well at either the same size, or smaller, than Antony.

Even Raphinha who he gets compared to often is the same weight and weighs a bit less but has still looked comfortable in the Prem.

If he can't adapt to the league it won't be because of his physical attributes. If he does it won't be because of it either, it will be because of his technical ability, effort and role in a familiar system.

Woziak

I have my doubts on him, I think he will be a good addition for like 40-50mil but I just don’t see that thing with him that makes me think he is really top quality. Good player but I think he’ll be more Nani like than Robben. He’ll be good enough to get us moving in the right direction hopefully and not be a Memphis Depay.
He really is lightning quick, a little one footed, tricky and brave plus he’s in a shootout with Raphina for the right wing position for Brazil with the World Cup coming up so he’s highly motivated as all the players will be this year

croadyman

Need both ideally but CB for me as the first priority.

Don't mind having Dalot/Laird & Shaw/Telles as full back options compared to having the back up centre back any of Bailly/Jones/Tuanzebe.
Who should we sign at CB, will need to sell at least one of them three to bring one in

Hughie77

Reading they want in excess of £70m for Him ? This could be bollocks or Ajax are playing hard ball. I'd love this guy at OT.

bosskeano

i think his fee is what i find most puzzling after €18.5 million was good enough to sell Gravenberch to Munich....I mean they are talking about a price tag almost double what his value currently is

GledTheRed

i think his fee is what i find most puzzling after €18.5 million was good enough to sell Gravenberch to Munich....I mean they are talking about a price tag almost double what his value currently is
For the millionth time he was in the last twelve months of his contract.

Silverman

We are always being fleeced......ALWAYS.
Bayern got Mane for an initial €40m was it? Incredible stuff.

Dazzmondo

Need both ideally but CB for me as the first priority.

Don't mind having Dalot/Laird & Shaw/Telles as full back options compared to having the back up centre back any of Bailly/Jones/Tuanzebe.
Laird basically didn't play at all in the 2nd half of the season. Don't think we can realistically consider him a legitimate squad option.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I said this summer felt like 2013, this is our Fellaini available for a fraction of the price earlier in the summer had we made a move

Robindinho

Laird basically didn't play at all in the 2nd half of the season. Don't think we can realistically consider him a legitimate squad option.
Can see Ten Hag liking him - fits in to his attacking, roaming full back.

If we don't sign a right back, surely Laird is a more realistic option than Wan-Bissaka or Williams?

edcunited1878

All this lad needs to do is put in a formal transfer request and be a problem to force a move. If he really wants to leave, he has player power to do so. If United want him, they'll get him eventually. This window, the next one, or next year.

Last edited:

Dazzmondo

Can see Ten Hag liking him - fits in to his attacking, roaming full back.

If we don't sign a right back, surely Laird is a more realistic option than Wan-Bissaka or Williams?
Ya, fair point. I don't think AWB or Williams suit a ETH team at all. Would ideally like both sold. I wish we just kept Laird at Swansea, he was doing great there. That decision never made any sense to me. Don't end a player's loan if it's actually going well. So many loans go tits up, it's rare to find a genuinely good one like we did with Garner.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
All this lad needs to do is put in a formal transfer request and be a nonce to force a move. If he really wants to leave, he has player power to do so. If United want him, they'll get him eventually. This window, the next one, or next year.

:confused:

Josep Dowling

All this lad needs to do is put in a formal transfer request and be a problem to force a move. If he really wants to leave, he has player power to do so. If United want him, they'll get him eventually. This window, the next one, or next year.
We need players this summer otherwise we can wave goodbye to Champions League football for two seasons in a row.

Stacks

I'm puzzled as to how any fan could not want him for your club. This is a true no brainer for me. Left footed wingers are rare and in high demand, Antony knows the new coach and the new coach knows him. And all that aside, he's clearly top notch quality. Technically one of the best young wingers out there, very fast with high acceleration and on top of it seems to work hard against the ball as well.

I'd take him immediately over a player like Raphinha for example who is very wasteful. Sancho + Antony could become one of the best winger pairings in the world.
We thought this about Martial Greenwood and Rashford
when did this happen???

His stats (especially for pass completion/possession/losing the ball) were not much better for Rennes or Sporting.

We already have Bruno who treats the ball like a live grenade, having two players like that while we're trying to play possession football would be mental.
yeah its poor

edcunited1878

We need players this summer otherwise we can wave goodbye to Champions League football for two seasons in a row.
Obviously United need players this summer, but they're going to be strategic about it. United are trying to rebuild properly under a proper manager. If United choose to walk away from Antony this season and keep their interest in the following windows, so be it. They'll have to make due with Elanga, Amad, Pellestri, or whoever else plays on the right.

SAFMUTD

70M for a winger from the eredivise? I mean his numbers are not even impressive. 8 goals and 4 assists. Ajax can keep him, no one's going near that much for him. 40M is fair for both parts.

edcunited1878

And if Ole got that United squad all the way to the EL final, then EtH could do the same with better coaching. There's still another way into the CL, which is to win EL, and that's why it's a viable competition even if it's not part of The Treble trophy haul we all really crave.

Mainoldo

70M for a winger from the eredivise? I mean his numbers are not even impressive. 8 goals and 4 assists. Ajax can keep him, no one's going near that much for him. 40M is fair for both parts.
They’ll negotiate. They only get butt f’d by Bundesliga clubs.

JuriM

That's the idea, unless the player wants to leave, they don't want to lose their whole squad.

Terranova

Supports
United/Ajax
So Haller went for a cheap price, but here they want crazy money
Antony is wanted by Ajax staff and young. Haller isn't good enough and rather old. So that's why the sold him for this price.

Status
Not open for further replies.