Antony | Here we go! €100mill, contract until June 2027, option 'til 2028.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
It's a strange one as he agreed to a long contract (2025 I think I read it runs out) so if he had aspirations of moving on eventually, why agree to such a contract?
Personally think contracts are meaningless these days. Just there to protect the value of an asset.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
It's a strange one as he agreed to a long contract (2025 I think I read it runs out) so if he had aspirations of moving on eventually, why agree to such a contract?
Because he’s at a club renowned for letting players move on to the next stage when ready and he will have signed under those pretences. 80m is an absurd fee and he has every right to kick up a fuss about it - it’s a brilliant opportunity for him.

DevTheRed

So we have to pay nearly £70m for Antony but Bayern paid £20m for Gravenberch? :houllier:

DevilRed

So we have to pay nearly £70m for Antony but Bayern paid £20m for Gravenberch? :houllier:
I think gravenberch only had a year left on his contract.

I also think Antony is the far more exciting and established player at the moment. Passes the eye test and ajax genuinely dont want to sell him. Not surprised considering they have been losing a fair few players already.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
His contract was expiring next year, the two players are in completely different situations.

DevTheRed

His contract was expiring next year, the two players are in completely different situations.
I think gravenberch only had a year left on his contract.

I also think Antony is the far more exciting and established player at the moment. Passes the eye test and ajax genuinely dont want to sell him. Not surprised considering they have been losing a fair few players already.
Ah fair enough I didn’t know his contract was due to expire. £70m still seems a lot for a player who isn’t exactly tearing up Eredivisie. I agree that he’s an exciting player but paying anymore than £45m-ish would be bad business in my opinion.

copen1945

80m euro for him seems high. But if the club can swing it, then why not? At some point, we need to flex our muscles.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
I said it a few days that he’ll hand in a transfer request and it’ll get done if we don’t baulk at the price. Ajax will try and price him out of a move and we won’t want to pay too much. A Mexican standoff. It Really depends on how desperate the player is to come. Probably gets done for about £50 million or €60 million

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Under the circumstances, if this gets done after he kicks up a fuss and has to wrestle with Ajax, it’s going to get done fairly late. Which will be torture for the ‘pre-season tour’ brigade of moaners.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Considering they only bought him for 15m, I'm surprised at the current reported valuation. I guess it's a fair position after losing players for less than their market value, but I don't think that will do them any favours for players joining in the future.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Considering they only bought him for 15m, I'm surprised at the current reported valuation. I guess it's a fair position after losing players for less than their market value, but I don't think that will do them any favours for players joining in the future.
I don’t think so, Ajax are normally quite fair in the selling market. I think the price here is more symbolic as in we don’t want to sell right now. They’d probably sell for a sensible sum next summer, they just don’t want to lose a 5th starter ( if Martinez goes too)

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
It appears Antony will likely be our first Brazilian forward. Weird we never signed one before!

Munkehboi

I've never seen him play but he's obviously a decent footballer so the muppet in me went to watch a few youtube videos of him and well, is anyone else really underwhelmed by him? Seems like a left footed right winger but what else is so special about him? It's a lot of money thats being rumoured. Do you guys think he has enormous potential?

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
I've never seen him play but he's obviously a decent footballer so the muppet in me went to watch a few youtube videos of him and well, is anyone else really underwhelmed by him? Seems like a left footed right winger but what else is so special about him? It's a lot of money thats being rumoured. Do you guys think he has enormous potential?
I do.

Popovic

Anything around 80mil will be a massive overpay. Ajax have all the leverage at the moment and won't let him go unless we pay the F you price. I don't see any other top teams that are in for him at that price.

Status
Not open for further replies.