Antony | Here we go! €100mill, contract until June 2027, option 'til 2028.

Status
Not open for further replies.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Musats confess I know very little about Antony to judge him as a player bar what I have heard and the comments seem to range from mustard to good but not special....but

I dont see why we should sign him as we are now. The fees beign mentioned when we STILL have signed a fricking midfielder and STILL need two and realistically we STILL need to make a striker signing irrespective of whether or not ROnaldo stays, it simply doesnt stack up.

If we were signign sAntony, we should have been at the very least loaning some other options out, I would say sellign a couple and that should have happened weeks ago. We may be weak and some of these players may nto play again, some are not ready, some are not good enough, some wouldnt be there best position....but lets not forget, options to play out wide CHong, Elanga, Rashford, Sancho, Garnacho, Amad, Pellestri, ROnaldo, Greenwood, Martial, Eriksen, Fernandes, Hannibal SHoetire.........thats a lot of options for the front four spots....how many of them can play up front.....four
Greenwood!? Jesus

the only wing he’ll be playing is at her majesty’s

lex talionis

Yeah be different story if it was our only hole in the first XI, bit like City & scousers with their striker situation until this summer
My rationale is quite simple: Antony is being priced far in excess of what at least as I see as the value of the contribution he could make to United right now. As it stands right now, we've got a very decent RW in Sancho, who I rate above Antony in the first place, there is hope for Rashford at LW, Ronaldo is still a very decent CF (we'll see if he stays, but I think he will) and Martial is a decent backup CF and LW. And although my exuberance could be irrational, I'm all in on giving Garnacho a proper chance. I'm not sure about Amad or Pellistri giving us what we need at RW, but I wouldn't object to having either being on the first team. Antony would be an excellent acquisition for depth, but not at the inflated value we've seen in media reports.

Let's sort out Frenkie and get on with the new season.

allesreiniger

Supports
ajax
Was quite obvious Antony was gonna stay for at least a year. Also a winter transfer will be highly unlikely, unless Ajax messes up big time and is not active in Europe anymore after new years eve.

Who knows next summer! Let’s first have a season of Brazilian magic on the right wing @Ajax⚡

Last edited:

Borussia Teeth

Will keep singing this...Micheal Olise. He is younger and has a higher ceiling than Anthony. He dribbles better, crosses as well and is cheaper with a 35m release clause. United should be all over him. Hell even malcom ebowei was a very good option but we have such a slow negotiation team that we couldnt talk to a free agent. Its crazy how bad we are in the boardroom
Totally agree on Olise. He should be our rw target for that price

allesreiniger

Supports
ajax
My rationale is quite simple: Antony is being priced far in excess of what at least as I see as the value of the contribution he could make to United right now. As it stands right now, we've got a very decent RW in Sancho, who I rate above Antony in the first place, there is hope for Rashford at LW, Ronaldo is still a very decent CF (we'll see if he stays, but I think he will) and Martial is a decent backup CF and LW. And although my exuberance could be irrational, I'm all in on giving Garnacho a proper chance. I'm not sure about Amad or Pellistri giving us what we need at RW, but I wouldn't object to having either being on the first team. Antony would be an excellent acquisition for depth, but not at the inflated value we've seen in media reports.

seems like laporta got his hands on a bag of money somehow which makes financing FDJ possible somehow? So the FDJ-deals seems to get cancelled as well...

Loony BoB

Shift to other positions I think is the answer, for now have Martial, Rashford and Sancho as wingers. Rather wait for the right option then buying someone else.
Curious if we get de Jong if we'd consider the likes of Eriksen and Bruno both starting with one on the right wing. Rashford and Martial are both horrible on the right, and we need some kind of backup for Sancho if things go wrong. I've not got a huge amount of faith in the younger players at the moment, although I've no idea if Garnacho can play on the right, if he can then perhaps he might be worth a shout as backup instead.

Dare I say it, could even consider putting Ronaldo on the right wing if Sancho is out Not sure how long it's been since he was out that end, and don't know if he'd be able to do it again, but as a backup I feel like he might be more useful than Elanga is.

We've got a solid enough first choice team, it's just the "What if Sancho gets injured" discussion we have to consider now.

For signing new players, I feel like putting a punt on a 20-30m valuation young player is a better option than spending even 70m on the likes of Antony when at the moment he wouldn't be starting ahead of Sancho. I guess he could start ahead of Rashford and we could have Sancho on the left...

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus

He's overpriced for sure. However, I think Sancho has proven to be better from the left and a big goal threat there also. He's still good on the right obviously but less of a goal threat and becomes more of a playmaker. Antony can do both from the right, being left footed. I think the outcome I wanted was Sancho LW, Antony RW. There's more goals and excitement from out wide there. Plus we'd get away with a less prolific CF in Martial for the time being also, which is handy if Ronaldo does leave. Rashford LW, Martial CF & Sancho RW doesn't fill me with confidence at all and I think we'll struggle for goals. That's probably why the club are desperate for Ronaldo to stay.

Yagami

Good post resistant
The more I watch of him, the more I think he’s the wrong choice.

I was super impressed with him when I watched him for Brazil’s youth team. However, for Ajax, he’s just too lightweight for me. He needs to give and go to be effective. We need wide players who can beat their man because we don’t have a single one yet. Rashford doesn’t beat his man and Sancho is a give and go player, too.

City have dominated the league having wide players like Sterling and Sané. Liverpool with Mané and Salah. All players who can beat their man. That is a player we are sorely lacking.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Curious if we get de Jong if we'd consider the likes of Eriksen and Bruno both starting with one on the right wing. Rashford and Martial are both horrible on the right, and we need some kind of backup for Sancho if things go wrong. I've not got a huge amount of faith in the younger players at the moment, although I've no idea if Garnacho can play on the right, if he can then perhaps he might be worth a shout as backup instead.

Dare I say it, could even consider putting Ronaldo on the right wing if Sancho is out Not sure how long it's been since he was out that end, and don't know if he'd be able to do it again, but as a backup I feel like he might be more useful than Elanga is.

We've got a solid enough first choice team, it's just the "What if Sancho gets injured" discussion we have to consider now.

For signing new players, I feel like putting a punt on a 20-30m valuation young player is a better option than spending even 70m on the likes of Antony when at the moment he wouldn't be starting ahead of Sancho. I guess he could start ahead of Rashford and we could have Sancho on the left...
Next season I'd rather give Garnacho and possibly Amad minutes if Antony is too expensive. Garnacho looks to be two footed so I think he can adapt he's young enough.

Redcy

Next season I'd rather give Garnacho and possibly Amad minutes if Antony is too expensive. Garnacho looks to be two footed so I think he can adapt he's young enough.
Nah garnacho is a lw rf

NoPace

Totally agree on Olise. He should be our rw target for that price
My guess is that Olise would reject us right now, barring an insane wage increase, since I think he specifically chose Palace to develop into a proper Prem starter before moving again. If I recall correctly he chose Palace over Arsenal since he had a small release clause, and he was canny enough to get a 35M release clause which will allow him to leave Palace if he becomes a quality Prem starter.

I do like his game, though. Good crosser and technique and left-footers are hard to find.

Sir Erik ten Hag

Ronaldo doesn't have the legs left to play on the wing. His only possible position is striker, and even there it's arguable that he contributes too little to our overall teamplay.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Ronaldo doesn't have the legs left to play on the wing. His only possible position is striker, and even there it's arguable that he contributes too little to our overall teamplay.
There seems to be a lot of folks here who seem to remember Ronaldo circa 2007 and not the soon-to-be 38y.o Ronnie -- which I guess explains their confusion on his current abilities and possible contributions.

Its almost like pining for the ex-gf who dumped you for a richer guy. But then 20 years later, you over-romanticise the earlier version and not the one that has since spawned 8 kids since.

Highfather_24

This one could have been done if we hadnt dithered for so long after the transfer window opened.

Idxomer

The more I watch of him, the more I think he’s the wrong choice.

I was super impressed with him when I watched him for Brazil’s youth team. However, for Ajax, he’s just too lightweight for me. He needs to give and go to be effective. We need wide players who can beat their man because we don’t have a single one yet. Rashford doesn’t beat his man and Sancho is a give and go player, too.

City have dominated the league having wide players like Sterling and Sané. Liverpool with Mané and Salah. All players who can beat their man. That is a player we are sorely lacking.
I don't even think he's as good a dribbler as Sancho.

Watching Antony's touches against PSV he doesn't look like an 80m player, he would still be a risk at 60m.

Idxomer

His asking price was alot cheaper at the start of the window when they had not already sold half the team
He was priced at 80m and all the players they sold were always going to leave or deemed replaceable except Martinez which is why United overpaid for him.

quirkey

His asking price was alot cheaper at the start of the window when they had not already sold half the team
Can you substantially prove that or are you just spuriously stating that to push a narrative?

Mazraoui and Gravenberch were always leaving, Ajax were aware of this at the start of the window. It has been commonly stated by Ajax ITK’s (for what that is worth) that Antony was valued at €80 at the start of the window; also that Ajax were willing to let one of Alvarez/Martinez go but only if valuation met.

Antony’s asking price was never less than it is now, Ajax have every right to ask that fee, just like Brighton with Cucurella. Ajax are one of the best run clubs in Europe, they don’t sell players for cheaper at the start of a window, makes no sense. Only reason Gravenberch went cheaper is because he didn’t field the expected interest during the pandemic years and only had one year left on his contract this summer.

allesreiniger

Supports
ajax

Watching Antony's touches against PSV he doesn't look like an 80m player, he would still be a risk at 60m.
pre-season just finished with Antony joining training as one of the last players. Ajax needs some time to make a team out of quality players. That’s how it goes @Ajax. Though, Ajax was able to keep quite some key players, buy some quality improvements/replacements and start some very talented youngsters. Probably within a month or 2 we could form such an opinion.

Ajaxsuarez

Supports
Ajax

As I said though, this was a poor match of his

Yeah he didn't get up to much.

In the last friendly he was very involved but very wasteful though.
But these were his first two games since his ankle injury towards the end of last season so it shouldn't be surprising if it takes a few games to get back to full form.

I wouldn't buy the Antony of this match for 80m either.

A somewhat better match vs PSV of his would be the one in his first season

which contains flashes (including a couple dribbles) of a bit more quality.
Though this was the awful match in which Promes as nr. 10 killed or wasted every single attack.

Last edited:

Chairman Steve

As far as I’m concerned, the No.11 is vacant and I‘m more than happy to give it to Antony if we can agree a deal now or next year.

tidraKS

He doesn't look bad in that video by any means.

He is a dangerous player, give him space and he punishes you. He has 2-3 shots on the match, scores 1, has some quite good passes. It was a final, so expect it to be a harder match than others.

Highfather_24

Can you substantially prove that or are you just spuriously stating that to push a narrative?
No evidence of that at all tbh

Most sources were quoting around 50-60M at the start of the window. Paul Hirst and Fabrizio are both tier 1, they dont make things up. Its obvious we lost our window of opportunity when Ajax sold a lot of players and saw other clubs demanding insane amount for players(Tchoumeni, Raphinha etc). Correct me if I'm wrong, but no one here was talking about a 80M fee at the start of the window.

Mainoldo

Most sources were quoting around 50-60M at the start of the window. Paul Hirst and Fabrizio are both tier 1, they dont make things up. Its obvious we lost our window of opportunity when Ajax sold a lot of players and saw other clubs demanding insane amount for players(Tchoumeni, Raphinha etc).
All them quotes state we are in talks and also confirm he price is north of €55m. Which is exactly where we are at now.

Bondi77

Too much common sense mate.

Lux Thunder

I fully believe Romano and Hirst on this one as quoted the price tag from Ajax is more to cool of interest for a player they don't want to lose, but around half that price is what you get when player and agent push for a move. Also, it doesn't help buying clubs as the market for RW available this summer is not so big so around 50 mil is what satisfies both sides of the deal.

quirkey

Most sources were quoting around 50-60M at the start of the window. Paul Hirst and Fabrizio are both tier 1, they dont make things up. Its obvious we lost our window of opportunity when Ajax sold a lot of players and saw other clubs demanding insane amount for players(Tchoumeni, Raphinha etc). Correct me if I'm wrong, but no one here was talking about a 80M fee at the start of the window.
So 50m, 60m and 60m+ eh?Sounds concrete alright

Bojan Djordjic

He looks good if you’re only criteria is dribbling. His turnover is terrible, ball retention poor, and defensively non existent. I’m not saying antony is the only choice, but olise doesn’t fit what we need in a winger
Terrible take. He's known to be excellent defensively and hard-working. Also, ball retention is often quite low for even the very best creative passers. Check Eriksen, De Bruyne and our own Bruno.

Loony BoB

There seems to be a lot of folks here who seem to remember Ronaldo circa 2007 and not the soon-to-be 38y.o Ronnie -- which I guess explains their confusion on his current abilities and possible contributions.

Its almost like pining for the ex-gf who dumped you for a richer guy. But then 20 years later, you over-romanticise the earlier version and not the one that has since spawned 8 kids since.
I should clarify that my post was more a dig at my lack of belief in our secondary options behind Sancho than it was praise for Ronaldo. I have no belief that Ronaldo would be a great option. I just think that he'd potentially be a better option than Chong and Elanga based on what I saw this pre-season. Probably was being a bit harsh on them, but yeah.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Please watch today's Ajax game and realize paying 80 million for this angry little cnut would be insane.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.

equal number pretending Ronaldo has suddenly turned into Bebe

Status
Not open for further replies.