Any Fergie players shouldn’t have been sold?

Longlivekeano

1. rafael (would have solved our RB problem.)

2. Evans (i think he’s better than Lindelof. LVG killed his confidence)

3. Chicarito (a good option from bench)

Bojan11

Hernandez didn’t wanna sit on the bench and was moaning in his last season here. Couldn’t get in the West Ham team

Rafael has to be one of the overrated players in caf history. Can’t get in the Lyon team and headless in defence. He wasn’t better than Valencia discarding Valencia’s last year.

Beckham - Compared to these days troublemaker he was far from one
Jaap Stam - The big man admited it was harsh

The rest is subjective.

Oh, and For what it's worth : Ronaldo
I presume he’s talking about Fergie players that were sold by other managers.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Januzaj - He didn't debut at that time but looked set for first team
Hernandez - better back up than having none. Also he was pissed as as Van Gaal said he won't play at all
Evans - Would have been first choice CB
Rafael - Better than the replacement, Darmian
Zaha - Would have been one of our best winger
M.Keane - as a back up

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I don’t think that Rafa would’ve solved our right back issue (he hasn’t exactly been flourishing at Lyon, has he), but he would’ve been a better option that our other solutions.

Zaha under a good manager and Evans ahead of Rojo (and maybe even Jones) would’ve been nice.

Gopher Brown

1. rafael (would have solved our RB problem.)

2. Evans (i think he’s better than Lindelof. LVG killed his confidence)

3. Chicarito (a good option from bench)
Rafael’s injury record was poor and similar to Luke Shaw’s if you look at it. Rafa averaged 24 appearances in all comps for the 7 seasons he was here. I think had he stayed longer we would have become more and more frustrated with him.

Jonny Evans was done at the club. He lost all semblance of composure in his last season. The move away did him the world of good.

Chicharito maybe.

One of the biggest problems with our recruitment is hanging on to players which have reached the end of their usefulness. I’d say selling these ones wasn’t that much of a mistake.

el3mel

Post Fergie only Zaha should have stayed and took his chance before letting him leave. The rest deserved to go. Their time here was done and the majority of them did feck all after United.

Raw

Zaha even though he wasn't technically a Fergie player, RW has been a big issue post-Fergie and he would have helped that. Who's to say if he'd become the player he is now had he stayed at United though.

I was going to say RVP/Chicharito because there were a few times where our striker depth was absolute shit but it might not have lead to Rashford getting opportunities.

People saying Evans probably don't remember how awful he was before he left, I don't think he could have coped with the pressure. It was like Ben Foster, made so many stupid mistakes at United but moved to a smaller club and excelled.

stevoc

Regardless of how players did at other clubs after they left which is largely irrelevant, compared to shite like Depay, Falcao, Rojo and a level below shite like Darmian that they were replaced with. Then we would have been better off had we kept a few of them around.

Last edited:

fps

None of the players mentioned were worth keeping at the club post-Fergie. Zaha even, is good, an important player for Crystal Palace, but is he THAT good? I don't think so.

Jev

Rafael, Evans, Nani, Zaha could have given us more good years.

Crashoutcassius

Not really- people saying zaha, pretty unlikely he becomes same player sitting on bench at United. Same goes for most of them.... funny that fans would be happy to let chong go after about 100 mins and say that we shouldn't have sold zaha and depay, even weirder because chong is younger and cost of keeping him is near 0

Hound Dog

Supports
Whoever I bet on
This is an interestic topic to think about, as the club's problem is usually the opposite, ie, players staying longer than they should have.

Apart from Chicarito, I struggle to think of any players I think should have stayed.

Maybe Rafael, although injuries were a constant issue.

spontaneus1

Hamster, damn!
People saying Rafael and Adnan. I want the drugs you're on. They must be great
Nostalgia, Rafael was a crock and a headless chicken who got bailed out by having rock solid centre half to cover him.

Evan's regularly shit the bed when playing for United, did not have the mentality at all and plenty of people where happy to see him go.

Chicha had a grand total of 1 good season since he left United before struggling to get into an average West Ham team. All these players where being carried by Fergies ability to make average players league winners and have shown how average they are since then. The problem was not selling these players but the failure to replace them properly.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
During Fergie - Stam, Beckham and Veron (feel we should have given him 1 more year)
Post Fergie - it's hard to argue any of them given they've all dropped to mid table standard post United (no jokes about that being our level now please)

EDIT: Obviously Ronaldo as well but we didn't really have a choice over that one

AUnitedOpinion

Only player for me is Zaha, could have been our RW option for years and would have gotten better by playing with better players.

lsd

The Oracle
Schneiderlin as he was renting Phil Neville's apartment and it has been lying empty since he left

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
No, none of them who were sold have done much since to suggest it was a mistake, the problem has been that their replacements have been worse.

Shark

@NotShark
I don't think Javier Hernandez should have been sold at the time he was, especially with the goals drying up for Rooney. He was a top top poacher, James would be having a field day feeding those low balls into the box.

Niall

All Powerful Super Being
Staff
Stam.

Our defence went to pot after he left and I always felt the reason for offloading him was harsh.

kambinks

Evans is looking like a mistake right about now. Seems to be working well with Leicester. Wish some of the old guards are still around like Smalling, and Nani turning slowly into an ambassador or coaching role like Carrick but thats probably why Youngs still in the books.

wolvored

Post fergie Rvp maybe should have had another season but the rest simply wasnt good enough. During his career Stam Forlan Beckham Ronaldo and RVN are 5 that spring to mind.