Any Fergie players shouldn’t have been sold?

Son

Stam and Tevez in my time as a United fan.

I understand why we didn’t sign Tevez on a permanent deal (debt and Rooney) but we probably lost a league title because we didn’t cough up the £40 million.

TRUERED89

Jonny Evans? He was garbage, or at the very best very, very average :lol:

And as for Nani, do me a favour, there are still dents at the top of the stadium from most of his shots.
Evans fair enough, but don’t insult Nani. He’d be very important to us even at his age now, considering how cack we are.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
Apart from the fact that Vidic moved to the right so Evans could play on his preferred left side.

Vidic was the best defender in the world at the time. He'd have made anyone look good.

Depends when you're talking, post SAF it was Vidic on the left, and he wasn't the best defender in the world, he was finished, though he was still the best six-yard defender in the League.

POF

Depends when you're talking, post SAF it was Vidic on the left, and he wasn't the best defender in the world, he was finished, though he was still the best six-yard defender in the League.
So you're asking if I am talking about the 8 seasons Vidic played under Fergie (including 5 where Evans played too) or the one he played post Fergie. Oddly enough, I decided not to discount the ones under Fergie since there were many more of them.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Actually Sir Alex and United kept players way past their expiry date (Robson, Keane, Anderson, Fletcher, Gaz, the list go on and on). We seem to insist on this mistake (Jones, Shaw, Valencia etc). However there are rare exceptions.

Sir Alex era - Beckham, Stam, Tevez, Pique, Pogba v.1 and Philip Neville for example
Post Sir Alex - Rafael and Zaha.

ricky-romeo

SAF era-

Stam - huge mistake, our defence was in disarray after he left, definitely cost us the league and probably the CL in 2001/02. we signed Veron and Ruud that season but eveything was destroyed due to our incompetency to defend. we signed Rio a year later which won us the league again in 2003 but Stam-Rio for a few years before Vidic arrived would have been great.

Tevez- it was a shame that our new holy trinity last for only a season (2007/08 season) as Berba's arrival kind of broke the partnership upfront that won us the league and CL. we would have defend the CL if not for the great Barca side anyway, but not signing Tevez and losing Ronaldo the same summer cost us five consecutive league tittles, as I am convinced we would have won the league in 2010 as well with Tevez, Rooney and Berba as our strikers.

Beckham- this is more about sentimental thing actually. my favourite United player. we would still signed Ronaldo even if Beckham stayed, i think.

post SAF-

Zaha- at least he is worth a try at RW, we haven't got a proper right winger for more than 6 years now.

Nani- to think that we was part of the Rojo transfer deal :houllier:. again he could play on the right if Zaha can't succeed at United.

Evans- he is better than Jones, Rojo, Bailly (because he is injury prone) and maybe even Lindelof.

Rio/Vidic/Evra - losing all those experience in the same summer.

manutddjw

Stam is at the top of the list. What made his sale even worse was it was at the time we were trying everything to find a Schmeichel replacement. It was a real shame because Ruud at his brilliant best and stalwarts like Ole, Giggs, Keane, Becks and Scholes were let down because of poor defenders and goalkeeping. Scoring 2 wasn’t enough at times and having Stam would’ve helped.

Also I’d like to point out how much I strongly disagree with people saying Tevez was a mistake. Great player for sure but He is the worst kind of woman that you can never make happy. City allowed him to be bigger than the club and he still wasn’t happy. Was constantly claiming he was homesick at Juventus. Went to his beloved Boca and left them again. Went to China where he was paid an absolute fortune and still wasn’t happy.

Bondi77

Pique, I know he wanted to go and we had Rio and Vidic but the guy was quality and the same with Forlan.

SMNRe"d"volution

I don't know if it was wrong decision at that time but the player who lost most due to SAF retiring was Shinji Kagawa. That first season he showed glimpses of what he could do, mostly not playing in his preferred position, and was really coming to terms with EPL. Moyes season destroyed him.

cyril C

I don't think there is a SAF-era player who has gone on to prove us wrong.

Those saying Rafael, Nani, Chicharito etc, none of them really kicked on once they left here. We certainly got Nani's best years. I loved Rafael, but his injury record was pretty woeful. Hernandez was always a limited player, though I guess any centre forward would be good for us right now, since we have barely have any. He had one good season at Leverkusen and that was it.

The only one who comes close is Evans, but he was very poor in those last couple of seasons here. He probably needed to leave and have a fresh start.

Also Zaha, if he counts. He was never given a fair chance. Then again, I think he benefits from being the big man at Palace.
I recall Evans did OK as backup player to the Rio - Vidic partnership. He just flop miserably when he was expected to lead the line. perhaps too much was expected of him particularly with all those ball possession / lead the attack from the back kind of tactics.

Sanchez7

Nani, Rafael and Zaha shouldn't have been sold. Zaha was never given a fair opportunity by Moyes, from memory he was by far our best player in the god awful Asian pre-season that Moyes went on

buckooo1978

At his best, yeah. At his age now? Nah.
James is doing great and he's obviously a short to medium term solution on the right side (he's more suited to the left)

I'd say with confidence that Nani would still be more productive in terms of creativity, goals and assists than Lingard and Mata combined who shared that right side previously

Nick7

James is doing great and he's obviously a short to medium term solution on the right side (he's more suited to the left)

I'd say with confidence that Nani would still be more productive in terms of creativity, goals and assists than Lingard and Mata combined who shared that right side previously
Nani now? Orlando City Nani? Or 2010 Nani? If you're talking about 2010 Nani, I agree. 2019 Nani, nope.

buckooo1978

Nani now? Orlando City Nani? Or 2010 Nani? If you're talking about 2010 Nani, I agree. 2019 Nani, nope.
Nani now - he's in great shape and is producing albeit at a lower level - just checked 12 goals/5 assists in 30 games

given the ronaldo-like physicality I'm not sure why people would focus too much on Nani's age - he's obviously dropped a level over the last number of years but he has fantastic technical ability and I think he'd still make an impact

how many goals and assists have Mata and Lingard got this calendar year? Lingard doesn't have the technical ability or creativity and Mata hasn't the physicality to thrive in the Premier League

if they are good enough (they aren't) I'd say he certainly is

it's a low bar with those two but selling Nani was a mistake for sure

momo83

Massive Snowflake
Stam and Tevez in my time as a United fan.

I understand why we didn’t sign Tevez on a permanent deal (debt and Rooney) but we probably lost a league title because we didn’t cough up the £40 million.
losing Tevez in same year Ronaldo went really cost us. And annoying thing is that Tevez was a Latin player that actually wanted to stay.

Chabon

I love how these threads about LVG's terrible decisions are invariably full of people who seem to not have noticed that we keep finishing sixth.

Acting like we're better than players like Jonny Evans and Nani is absolutely bonkers; maybe if we were, y'know, actually doing well, then it would make sense to not regret selling lads who had a better United career than literally anyone in the current squad, but fecking look at the state of us.

Thank god we kicked Rafael Da Silva into touch, we never would have had the glory years of Matteo Darmian otherwise...