Anyone but United fans: What do you make of the Ronaldo who has returned to the PL and would you want him in your team?

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I can’t really get my head around the stick he gets by our fans; if anything, it’s absolutely dire planning to bring him in and then not make him the focal point of the team, there to be fed and finish off chances. It’s what he is in this phase of his career.

He’s clearly not as fast or strong as he used to be, but he makes runs that always have the potential for conversion.

In our team, in complete disarray, he has to do too much work outside the areas he’s still deadly in. Surely, in a team set up for him, he’s still a talent you’d gladly have in your team over almost any other forward?

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Not for those wages and his age. And we could desperately use a good forward

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Not for those wages and his age. And we could desperately use a good forward
Really amusing then that you basically whored your whole club to resign his peer.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Really amusing then that you basically whored your whole club to resign his peer.
And it was worth it, at least we were still winning trophies, can’t even sell out clasicos anymore without him.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
In our team, in complete disarray, he has to do too much work outside the areas he’s still deadly in. Surely, in a team set up for him, he’s still a talent you’d gladly have in your team over almost any other forward?
Yeah, I think that's the problem with the expectations around him.

To be honest I thought he would do a lot worse but from the very first games he is the only one looking likely to score in a team that's not performing all that great. I also think he's better playing more advance because if he drops back to carry the ball then there's no one making the runs or putting himself in scoring positions. If you expect him to drop down, pick up the ball dribble a few players, then make a key pass while also being the scorer then that's just illogical; but still he has been one of the best performers.

In an hypothetical scenario I'd take him back for Hazard. :D

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
I would have sign him. I would have loved the first few days. The comunicado oficial, his arrival in Madrid and a mega presentation with a full Bernabéu.
I would fully enjoy the story of the prodigal son, although I also think I would start to protest and complain after the second game, seeing that he is 37 years old, that it is a step backwards, that everything has to gravitate around him, that he slows down the development of other players.
At this point in the season there would already be two sides. The faithful, those of "always in your boat", "I still trust" that they would be looking for tactical solutions to accommodate him and the others, who would be blaming the president and saying that nostalgia is not good

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
He has been average in PL, he isn't doing better than Michael Antonio or Emmanuel Dennis for example.

But business-wise it might have been an amazing transfer, more United merchandise sold in Asia,Qatar,Saudi Arabia,Australia,etc
At the end of the day, the Glazers and Woodward are businessesmen, and they have showed multiple times that they care more about businesses than trophies.

Of i had a team i would take him as an impact sub, not as a starter.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
I would love to have him in Arsenal but we can't afford his salary.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
He has been average in PL, he isn't doing better than Michael Antonio or Emmanuel Dennis for example.

But business-wise it might have been an amazing transfer, more United merchandise sold in Asia,Qatar,Saudi Arabia,Australia,etc
At the end of the day, the Glazers and Woodward are businessesmen, and they have showed multiple times that they care more about businesses than trophies.

Of i had a team i would take him as an impact sub, not as a starter.
6 goals in 11 games for Ronaldo compared to 6 in 14 for Antonio and Dennis? Seems better to me, all the while playing for a struggling United team.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
I would have sign him. I would have loved the first few days. The comunicado oficial, his arrival in Madrid and a mega presentation with a full Bernabéu.
I would fully enjoy the story of the prodigal son, although I also think I would start to protest and complain after the second game, seeing that he is 37 years old, that it is a step backwards, that everything has to gravitate around him, that he slows down the development of other players.
At this point in the season there would already be two sides. The faithful, those of "always in your boat", "I still trust" that they would be looking for tactical solutions to accommodate him and the others, who would be blaming the president and saying that nostalgia is not good
Nice post

Asger

Any striker would struggle at United atm. This team can’t create chanches. Almost all teams we play against can create good chanches..

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
With hindsight, yeah, why not. He was one of the goats and he'd not do worse than any of our other forwards this season.

Silva at the back and Ronaldo upfront, age is a number.

Also, this place going mental when he signed for Chelsea would've been fun.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
If we were one of the top clubs fighting for Europe/title, no, aside from City. If we were someone in the bottom half, yes.

Greyfog

Supports
Enugu Rangers
Still good at scoring goals. Have a settled and creative supporting cast and he will excel. Was really surprised to see how deep he was dropping last night to build up play. Strange things going on in that training ground to be relying on CR7 for build up play.
Will need Obi Cubana to chip in and we still won't be able to afford him.

Bale Bale Bale

Supports
Spurs
He's done his job and the idea that he makes Utd worse is misguided.

I wouldn't take him over Kane though and don't think you could play the two together.

KeanoMagicHat

6 goals in 11 games for Ronaldo compared to 6 in 14 for Antonio and Dennis? Seems better to me, all the while playing for a struggling United team.
Wait, United are a struggling team but Watford aren’t? Also Dennis is among top of the league for defensive contributions from forwards as well as goals whereas Ronaldo is bottom.

TheRoyble

Supports
Spurs
Probably not, but I can understand why you did. Football's not just about long term strategy, sometimes you have to live in the here and now.

So getting Ronaldo back was like that last heroin fix. Great while it lasted but probably not great long term.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Not really that fussed, he might win you some games here and there or drag you a round further in the CL but your team is not good enough for Ronaldo to basically win you trophies on his own so... And he'll be too old or his influence will have decreased even further when you finally get the right pieces in the right place at the right time.

I think I'd have wanted him at Liverpool just for the Utd fans meltdown, but can't see how he would improve our first XI right now apart from as an impact sub when we need a goal, something he'd obviously, and rightfully, never agree to.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
Wait, United are a struggling team but Watford aren’t? Also Dennis is among top of the league for defensive contributions from forwards as well as goals whereas Ronaldo is bottom.
High pressure environment, media on your back - struggling Manchester United, its a different kettle of fish playing for Watford, just look at Foster years ago.

Point still stands, he's scored more goals (the only thing a 37 year old Ronaldo should be expected to do now) so I'd say he's performed better for us than Dennis.

Being over a decade younger should mean you're able to run more, point is Ronldo is joint 4th goals per game ratio so far this season, which is impressive all things considered.

Thunderhead

Supports
City
was pretty happy with it at the time, more for the winding up United mates than any football reason, time has shown I think we've dodged a massive bullet same as with Sanchez who I was pissed that we missed out on when he went to United.

So yeah, glad he's now at United and not us and wouldn't want him.

mctrials23

Hes the icing on the cake for a team that operates in a particular way and just needs someone to finish the chances it makes. Thats not most teams and its certainly not United. We are a dysfunctional mess and he has just exacerbated that. He wouldn't have worked in the City team and I don't actually think City were going to sign him unless Pep was given 100% control over how he was used i.e. as a super sub. I don't think he would get a look in at Liverpool either. Perhaps Chelsea but I'm not sure.

As various Juventus players have alluded to in the nicest way possible, he is not a team player and because he is the final man between you and the goal he will effect your team. He is selfish and greedy when he comes within about 30 yards of goal, doesn't track back most of the team and is completely absent in any press.

At most teams this would cause issues but at United I think its done more damage than most. Not only has it thrown our balance off even more, I think he has bent various players noses out of place and the team harmony is at a low as a result.

Yesterday was to be fair just an encapsulation of the past 3 years at United. A seemingly good win which masks the fact that we could and probably should have lost the game and that we were utterly outplayed in the first half and relied on our individual quality and the oppositions lack thereof.

Reactions: Fortitude

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
I don't think he is the cause of United's problems, but he definitely isn't a solution either. The squad construction is really weird, the team seems resistant to tacitcs and having an undroppable striker on the wrong side of 35 who doesn't work hard for anything other than his own goals doesn't help.
I wouldn't want him on my team for two reasons: We have Lewandowski and we play a high octane press. Lewandowski at this point is the better all around player and Ronaldo is poison to a functioning press.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Surely, in a team set up for him, he’s still a talent you’d gladly have in your team over almost any other forward?
Yes. He gets in most teams that are well built. City would love the option - they pin and stretch teams that the space and service would be there for him. Pep wouldn't always use him, but he'd relish that other way to get goals that only Ronaldo would provide in that squad. It's only Liverpool and Spurs who have a comparable calibre forward where it wouldn't be worth the hassle of restructuring the attack.

Leaving aside the finances, and it goes without saying that I'd take him at Rangers. We'd dominate enough to constantly feed him, while in Europe he'd attract so much defensive attention that space would open up for others.

Ultimately it's just the crap strategy you always associate with United since Ferguson retired.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
You're too inept to make use of a vintage powerfull forward. Blame him for our malady.

And we used to think we're the best fans in the world.

We used to laugh at rawk but at least they really treat their legend right

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
I can’t really get my head around the stick he gets by our fans; if anything, it’s absolutely dire planning to bring him in and then not make him the focal point of the team, there to be fed and finish off chances. It’s what he is in this phase of his career.

He’s clearly not as fast or strong as he used to be, but he makes runs that always have the potential for conversion.

I’m an Ipswich fan; it goes without saying that I’d want him in my team, and he’d play 46 ninety minute games regardless of form.
When looking at Utd, I do think it needs to be noted that as a team you aren’t scoring more or winning more, despite the fact that his goal return is still impressive. There must be a reason for that. Perhaps it’s simply coincidence and more of last season’s scorers are simply having a worse time of it. Or perhaps it’s that he dominates positions in the box that used to be filled by a greater variety of players. It’s an unprovable question, people will believe what they want, and find evidence to support that. The evidence is there for both sides of the argument, and confirmation bias does the rest. The biggest thing for me, and this is purely speculative, is that his signing doesn’t seem to really fit with the rest of your signings this summer and in previous years. Players don’t exist in a vacuum and yet his signing seemed to be just that. A signing made in spite of, rather than because of, the other 10 players. People saying things like ‘we’d be out of the champions league if it weren’t for him’ are speculating, nothing more. But equally people saying ‘look how fewer goals we are scoring as a team, if he wasn’t there then the other players would have scored more’ are also speculating. So I’m tight on the fence.

minoo-utd

We are a team full of voids in very important areas, blame Ronaldo if the team is complete and he is not good enough to finish the chances created.
Do we create enough chances? No.
there are a lot players in this squad deserved to be absolutely no where near the club but Cristiano ain't one.
Any forward with not enough assists and creations will suffer but he will get huge blame because his job is to score goals IMO.

Daydreamer

Supports
Arsenal
I think it depends on the precise wording of the question.

Would I prefer Arsenal play Ronaldo up front tonight instead of Lacazette or Nketiah? Yes - yes I would.

Would I want us to sign Ronaldo at 36 and in the process
  • Smash our wage structure?
  • Abandon our pressing tactics?
  • Be forced to play him every game?
In return for 8 league goals? (a feat matched by Emile Smith-Rowe who currently isn't even a starter for us - plus he's not our penalty-taker).

The answer to that question is... no.

His individual contribution this season hasn't been mind-blowing. I don't think he would help us to become a better team. And I'm certain that he hasn't taken Manchester United forward as a unit.

Great player - poor signing.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
I think at this point in his career Ronaldo should not be 'the focal point' of anything. If he wants to be at a top team he shouldn't be playing most games and should be a substitute often.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Tricky one, in a perfect world yes of course, he would have probably gotten a hatrick for us last night. Having said that, the financial side of things would just make the signing a no go for us especially at his age and it’s not really showing any forward thinking.

One of my favourite ever players but sadly it would be a no from me.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
Hang on, when you use the term ‘struggling’ to mitigate Ronaldo’s goal return you’re comparing him to Watford striker Dennis who plays for the team in 17th?

romufc

Hang on, when you use the term ‘struggling’ to mitigate Ronaldo’s goal return you’re comparing him to Watford striker Dennis who plays for the team in 17th?
No he is replying to the poster who compared him to Dennis.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
ITT people who are predisposed to hate Ronaldo, hate Ronaldo. He's been playing quite well and would be playing better if he got more service. Simple as that. We would be out the CL and mid-table without him.

VinzentFTW

Supports
Liverpool
He has still scored 14 + 3 assist overall @ 22 games in a disfunctional team without much service. People blaming him or wanting him out doesnt know fotball imo.