Anyone else absolutely buzzing for the start of the season?

izzydiggler

You'd think people would learn but it'll be exactly the same next year.

Pretty funny reading the thread.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
Nothing wrong with your post tbf, at least you wrote with humility. It's more the arrogant top-red posters with their condescending tones that are funny to look back at.
The irony is strong here fella. I found your post to be quite arrogant in tone and absolutely condescending.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
Anyone else absolutely buzzing for the end of the season?

Siorac

I don’t think after-timing is an attractive look. It’s easy to make fun of the optimists now, but if you can’t go into the season optimistic and hopeful what is the point? I’ll always look forward to the start of a new domestic football season.
As @Robbie Boy said, it's more about mocking those who said things like the pessimists were the 'Football Manager crowd' who don't understand 'how the sport really works'.

blue blue

Supports
chelsea
Don't know what you're complaining about.

You had a fabulous start.

Its threads like this that makes me think us fans know nothing about football and talk total bollox all the time. If we get anything right we are lucky and if we get it wrong we are stupid.

If its any consolation I thought Chelsea would have a very tricky season and to be honest they still could.

If Pogba and Shaw come back strong and Martial/Rashford get going things could turn around. I wouldn't get too down hearted just yet. You're only 5 points off top 4.

Mindhunter

I was optimistic that the football won’t be tumescent at least. It was a given that we won’t be competing for honours but my sense was that we will finally see the foundations of a coherent style of play, more cohesion, better teamwork and off the ball movement and in general more aggression and pride.

In reality, we have gone two steps backwards from Jose’s days. Make no mistake, I am not advocating for him to return or that his sacking was unwarranted. He was taking us in the wrong direction but right now we are totally rudderless - drifting off into the great ocean and hoping we will hit the coast of a rich and prosperous country.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
I'm looking forward to it! Just hope we improve on last season. It's not just transfers, it's also Ole having that pre season he said he needed with the squad to embed his style. That excites me more because I want to believe Ole will transform us.
This was amusing.
Fans actually believed that Ole needed a pre-season to change his style from last season.
The truth is that Ole had his style imprinted on the team, soon after the PSG match.
Park the bus and hit the opponent on the break.
We've been playing exactly the same way from the last season.

There are other funny comments, of course, so don't mean to pick on VP89. The club somehow convinced so many of you that there would be a rebuild (some of you still believe this), that money would be spent to take us to the top (again, some of you still believe this) and that after the pre-season, the players would increase their fitness levels, to play a pressing game.

What actually happened was that we sold players but did not bring in replacements (to save money) and had a low net spend (again, to save money).
The players are not capable of playing a high energy style, so what we are now seeing is us parking the bus in almost every single match.

The problem we have is that if Ole leaves, we still won't improve because the same board members are making the decisions which are increasing our profits, but leaving us lacking on the pitch. Until Woodward leaves, this will continue, which is why I'd much rather he leave, than Ole, even though I feel Ole is not capable of managing MUFC.

R'hllor

As @Robbie Boy said, it's more about mocking those who said things like the pessimists were the 'Football Manager crowd' who don't understand 'how the sport really works'.
They are just fake as they get, pretending to be calm and collected, trying to sell their wisdom like they have seen it all. Them thinking thats a true picture of proper supporter is just a bonus.

Irwin99

Nothing wrong with being optimistic at all but the ultra-positive vibe came off as a bit desperate and overly defensive, especially regarding the young players. The vibe around the club for the last two preseasons has been awful for different reasons.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Was optimistic at the time. Got caught up in the silly Ole at their wheel hype last season to an extent. Didn't think he was great coach or anythng but felt deserved a chance

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Our football was defensive first from 2008 until the end of the Fergie era, and shit thereafter. Expecting a possibility of exciting football wasn't a big stretch when you consider that Ole had already managed it from December till March.

The players have it in them for the first time in ages, but they've been poorly coached.

If you can't be excited about your football team at the start of the season, you have no soul.
Ole has never managed that.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
This was amusing.
Fans actually believed that Ole needed a pre-season to change his style from last season.
The truth is that Ole had his style imprinted on the team, soon after the PSG match.

There are other funny comments, of course, so don't mean to pick on VP89. The club somehow convinced so many of you that there would be a rebuild (some of you still believe this), that money would be spent to take us to the top (again, some of you still believe this) and that after the pre-season, the players would increase their fitness levels, to play a pressing game.

What actually happened was that we sold players but did not bring in replacements (to save money) and had a low net spend (again, to save money).
The players are not capable of playing a high energy style, so what we are now seeing is us parking the bus in almost every single match.

The problem we have is that if Ole leaves, we still won't improve because the same board members are making the decisions which are increasing our profits, but leaving us lacking on the pitch. Until Woodward leaves, this will continue, which is why I'd much rather he leave, than Ole, even though I feel Ole is not capable of managing MUFC.
In my defence, I took Ole's word for it when he said he just needed a pre season and carefully worded my post, saying I want to believe Ole can transform us.

Sadly, I know he's done the opposite.

Irrational.

Well, this thread aged like milk.

I never thought I'd see the day where I'm buzzing for the international break. The absence of Premier League football this weekend is a mercy and a respite from the horrors of Oleball, until we get inevitably spanked by Liverpool next weekend.

Dante

Average bang
Ole has never managed that.
United were exciting from December to March under Ole. We visibly tired towards the tail end of the season, but a reinvigorated squad should have theoretically returned to the fitness levels pre-Paris when we were high-pressing like demons.

We went from a slow and static first XI under Jose to a young and dynamic first XI at the start of this season. It's the first time that's been the case since 2007. There was a strong possibility it would lead to exciting football, but obviously that's not transpired. Given the failings we've seen under Solskjaer, it'll probably never happen under current management. But the bones of an exciting attacking side are there (Martial, James, Rashford, Pogba, Greenwood and Gomes) if they're coached to play with the handbrake off like we saw at the start of the year.

And just to clarify, exciting =/= winning.

R'hllor

United were exciting from December to March under Ole. We visibly tired towards the tail end of the season, but a reinvigorated squad should have theoretically returned to the fitness levels pre-Paris when we were high-pressing like demons.

We went from a slow and static first XI under Jose to a young and dynamic first XI at the start of this season. It's the first time that's been the case since 2007. There was a strong possibility it would lead to exciting football, but obviously that's not transpired. Given the failings we've seen under Solskjaer, it'll probably never happen under current management. But the bones of an exciting attacking side are there (Martial, James, Rashford, Pogba, Greenwood and Gomes) if they're coached to play with the handbrake off like we saw at the start of the year.

Dont think we were, things started dropping off slowly performance wise since the moment we got back into top 4 race, thats when he decided to switch focus towards results and after PSG we lost results and performances were into deep shit way before.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Was optimistic at the time. Got caught up in the silly Ole at their wheel hype last season to an extent. Didn't think he was great coach or anythng but felt deserved a chance
That PSG win was so unexpected, mixed in with a last min winner, that the euphoria was incredible.

Oh to experience that regularly again.

Quite shocking that we've barely won a game since.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Zero fecks given.... I'm positive at the beginning of every season tbh.

AFC NimbleThumb

This was amusing.

The bold parts are so blatant but some fans refuse to see the rather blatant truth.

A rebuild means destruction and construction, in terms of building a squad both should be done alongside eachother.

We made absolutely no attempt to rebuild our non-existent midfield/attack - we are NOT in the midst of a rebuild.

Godfather

Our football was defensive first from 2008 until the end of the Fergie era, and shit thereafter. Expecting a possibility of exciting football wasn't a big stretch when you consider that Ole had already managed it from December till March.

The players have it in them for the first time in ages, but they've been poorly coached.

If you can't be excited about your football team at the start of the season, you have no soul.
I was a tad bit excited. I always am. Even if we had an ape managing us. Certainly didn't expect us to play the most exciting football since 2007 though. Never bought that Ole love in. Not even after that infamous PSG game.

USREDEVIL

So naive I was way back in August. Child's mind back then, only thinking of rainbows and Ole at the wheel. The good old days eh? I've grown so much since then.

Dante

Average bang
I was a tad bit excited. I always am. Even if we had an ape managing us. Certainly didn't expect us to play the most exciting football since 2007 though. Never bought that Ole love in. Not even after that infamous PSG game.
I said there was a strong 'possibility' of playing exciting football. So do Bournemouth.

USREDEVIL

It's actually interesting to look back because we were told:

1) With our new big signing defenders (Maguire and AWB) we will have a much stronger defense which was the reason we did not get as many points as we could have gotten at the end;
2) We'll play an aggressive style which will consist of high pressing and going directly at goal; and
3) We need the summer to get the boys in proper shape as they were not in the shape needed to play the way we want and which also leaded to injuries.

So far so bad. We can't score for shit, the players are dropping like flies, I've no idea what system we're playing other than scrimmage football, and I don't see consistent pressing.

LInkash

Has the chant changed at all? Has Sanchez been replaced by another player?

Thisistheone

Another sign we've turned into 90s and 00s Liverpool when some fans think we'll be good, during the months of June, July and August. The key here is that no actual football is played. Reality soon hits home though.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

Another sign we've turned into 90s and 00s Liverpool when some fans think we'll be good, during the months of June, July and August. The key here is that no actual football is played. Reality soon hits home though.
Too true. The only things we're missing are the poems and the alternative league tables. The ones that include all our missed chances and the ref decisions that went against us but none of the chances our opponents missed and mistakes that went our way. We came close with the xGoals but it didn't materialize. Anyway, there's being optimistic in the summer months and there's being delusional. There's also being excited about some academy players being an active part of the first team activities and there's the lunacy of believing that young n' hungry is the sole answer to our sheer lack of quality.

Thisistheone

Too true. The only things we're missing are the poems and the alternative league tables. The ones that include all our missed chances and the ref decisions that went against us but none of the chances our opponents missed and mistakes that went our way. We came close with the xGoals but it didn't materialize. Anyway, there's being optimistic in the summer months and there's being delusional. There's also being excited about some academy players being an active part of the first team activities and there's the lunacy of believing that young n' hungry is the sole answer to our sheer lack of quality.
Thats true. We've got a long long way to go yet

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan

Even when we were exciting we weren't blowing sides away in performances. We were just very clinical and often had less possession. We operated a counter attack system and got found out.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
I was dreading the start of last season and it was a horrid campaign.

Feel even worse at the start of this one. By October I fear this place will be absolutely toxic.

Best bet for me is to take football a little less personally. It's just a game after all.
It sucks being right.

But all the signs were there.. People just chose to ignore them.

LInkash

I was really excited to see Rashford and Martial and Greenwood and they have shown real quality at times. I guess we can't expect to see it week in and week out yet I'm their first season as first choice, I'm hoping that will come