Anyone else buzzing for the start of the season?

RkkMan

Barely unfortunately. My mood and many others could change if we get FDJ plus a ST at least but it`s been an incredibly frustrating window so far even if we get some of the needed players over the line.
Not even a talented manager like Ten Hag can mask the major major issues this squad has regardless of the promise we saw in Pre Season. We essentially have a weaker squad than the one that finished 6th in the club`s worst ever PL season with few/next to none of the priority positions sorted out with 2 days left to our first PL game and that`s before we talk about the Ronaldo fiasco. I fail to see which magic wand gets us past 65 points at best if major investment isn`t done. Arsenal and Spurs have had much better windows and preparations for the season. CIty and Liverpool are galaxies ahead of us. Their strategy is reckless but Chelsea have cash to burn and are seemingly ready to break the bank for several more signings.
Add clubs like Leicester, West Ham and Villa who are below us with the capability of pulling off a surprise and Ten Hag is virtually starting his Utd tenure with one hand tied behind his back
Good luck to the manager because he`ll need it in plenty if these are the circumstances he has to face

Craig Ward

I'm excited, ETH clearly brings a specific way of working and a defined style of play.

I was a fan of Ole but we was ultimately flawed and the short term Ralf appointment was always going to be a disaster as he is a man who needs time to bed his philosophy in.

ETH brings something we havent had in some time - authority. He demands high standards and won't accept anything less. Ole tended to stick with the same dross regardless.

The lack of signing a DM is frightening - we havent dominated midfield, the most crucial part of the field for years and years. I believe we will see an upturn in performances from Fred, Donny, even Fernandes but if we carry on playing McTominey as a DM we are basically shooting ourselves in the foot. ETH will make players better and that's a major positive. In the pre-season we've seen early signs of Rashford regaining confidence, Sancho looks like a new signing, even the work shy Martial looks to be playing with energy.

I think the full backs will be good under ETH - Dalot and Malacia need big seasons.

The De Jong and Ronaldo saga is far from ideal and it really irks me that the season starts when the window is still open but hey ho.

There will be rough patches for sure, ETH can't turn it around in one season especially with some transfer business left to do. ETH needs a striker and a DM at a minimum and time for new additions to settle in/learn his style etc.

I think people forget we already have quality here, it's just been a poor few years with some bad ego's in the dressing room, and no clear direction for the squad as a whole.

Sancho is an unbelievable player, Rashford when he's confident can be a real threat. Fernandes is one of the best players in the league. A fit Varane is a dream of a CB. Martinez looks like a great signing already. We have younger players looking hungry with room to improve, Garnacho in particular.

We can only get better

Scriblerus

Nope. In the long run I think ETH can turn us into an effective team, and some of the preseason football was excellent. But. (And I probably don't need to say any of this because it's blindingly obvious….). Very thin squad. Underpar midfield (FDJ ain't coming, chaps). Promising young players but not yet ready to step up. Choice of striker between 37 year old superstar who wants away, doesn't fit the playing style, and thinks he is bigger than the club, and treatment room regular who has often underperformed. Teams who finished above us last year have all made improvements to their core squads (though it remains to be seen if Pep has broken City).

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Very excited and I know we'll be on the right track regardless. But also kinda pissed off that the excitement is dampened by an absolutely horrific transfer window til now.

At least for previous years we still spent the money and had a full squad. We have a pathetically thin squad and haven't bothered signing anybody in a single position of need.

Okey

Strange one. I'm buzzing of course. It's a new managerial era. And I'm certain Ten Hag will be our most important acquisition in the near future. But it's depressing to think we might start on Sunday with not a single new signing, and not because a new signing got injured. Really poor window (so far), no other way to spin it. That said, I fully expect us to smash Brighton 4 nil!

Jules_T

We are three players short. We will be found out.
Disappointing season if we can't sort that out in the next two weeks.

ObscureBaguette

I always look forward to the new season but I wouldn't use the word "buzzing". I'm concerned the squad is too thin. I was buzzing this time last year though and was sorely disappointed, so I'm just hoping things go the opposite way this time and we look better than expected.

Robertd0803

Nope. Had we managed to get FdJ sorted (Im still hoping we can somehow) and added some form of striking cover then yeah Id have said yes. I am excited to see what EtH can do but I fear he has his hands tied for now.

Add the Ronaldo nonsense to that and its cast a pretty gloomy outlook to things.

We are nowhere near City/Liverpool (hurts just typing that) and I think Spurs are going to be stronger than most expect this season as well. Chelsea are always going to be there or thereabouts and Arsenal could finally have sorted themselves out so it leaves an almighty battle on for top 4.

Revaulx

Yes and no. More yes than no, but I’ve got plenty of worries.

Positives: new manager, a proper coaching team, three good signings so far, players leaving and being moved on that we are better off without, the impression (no more than that yet; just a feeling) that if players down tools the hierarchy will back the manager this time.

Negatives: squad still lacking quality, real lack of depth up front, Ronaldo circus.

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
Can’t wait for this season!

Sancho will be our player of the season with Martinez a close second, we will finish top 4 and we are going to batter some teams this season under ETH.

mctrials23

Yep, very excited. Honestly don't care that much where we end up in the league. I just want to watch a United that look like they have a plan on the pitch. I want to come away from a game we lose and think, "man, we deserved to win" that rather than watching us scrape a win and think "christ we got played off the pitch by a team fighting for relegation".

I think we have done out most important bit of business in EtH and i'm hoping we get Frenkie.

I don't think the CF issue is as big as people are suggesting. City and Liverpool have played without a focal point for years realistically and have been fine. You just play a different way and goals come from a more diverse cast. Bigger issue is getting a CM in before the season starts but I'm not that concerned if we don't.

Results aren't everything. I watch football to be entertained. If I cared more about the result than the performance I would just check the scoreline on the BBC.

I think people have let last season get to them far more than they should do. We have some cracking players still and they will be much better in a functioning system. We came 2nd a season back (albeit not entirely from our own brilliance) with a manager who couldn't coach for shit. I think we will be fine.

Big players for this season will be Sancho, Martinez and Martial.

D. Grayson

Supports
Ashwood City FC.
I am full of unwarranted confidence logically I am aware we are statically unlikely to win the league this co, ing season, but some wonky side of my brain believes the team will win every game they play and that Sancho, Rashford, and Martial will score goals for fun.

Realistically I would like a season full of good attacking football and an improvement on last season's results.

tomaldinho1

Yeah he could definitely turn Sancho, Rashford, Martial, Fred, Maguire, etc in to better players. Also maybe improve and trust a few youth players.
I get why so many on here are wanting us to splash cash and are panicking but if we have the squad we have now and then see signs of improvement as a team - I have no doubt those above will look better this year, although Fred was probably our best player last season - that’s the proof we need of ETH’s ability. United fans have a weird fixation on backing a manager before we have a clue if they’re good enough, I do think ETH is our best coach post SAF already from what we’ve seen but we really don’t know how good he is/will be for us.

van Persie

Excited? Yes. Expectations? Nada.

Anyone know how this season will end. We're not even in the competition for top four, realistically, but I suppose we could do a Leicester. Sad state of affairs

Harold_Giles

Can't wait.
Not expecting a title challenge but instead I'm looking forward to see a progress on a good playing style and entertaining football.
I'm a firm believer that ETH will get our club back into the title mix in a few years.

RkkMan

I get why so many on here are wanting us to splash cash and are panicking but if we have the squad we have now and then see signs of improvement as a team - I have no doubt those above will look better this year, although Fred was probably our best player last season - that’s the proof we need of ETH’s ability. United fans have a weird fixation on backing a manager before we have a clue if they’re good enough, I do think ETH is our best coach post SAF already from what we’ve seen but we really don’t know how good he is/will be for us.
That's a shocking way of looking at things. In a league as competitive as the PL it's suicide not to back a manager in the first year you hire them.
Regardless of whether the ability is there or not it's the club's obligation morally and contractually to give the manager the best chance of success whichever way possible and investing in new players in the transfer window is a major factor
The fact that we've come off our worst ever season with close to 10 departures and counting happening there shouldn't even be a debate that Ten Hag should have received a lot more backing than what he's currently getting

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Nervous to be honest, as we look woefully under prepared, and it could quickly become a maximum ceiling of trying to battle London clubs for 4th.
Whilst hoping City can see off Liverpool again.

However, we clearly have a manager with more of a system idea in 6 weeks than we had in the last 2 years, and you suspect he'll be ruthless and make things work.

Fooza

Witnessing liverpool or city win another title doesn't get me excited when the season starts

What is there to be excited about really. I'm intrugued to see what we play like under EtH but its going to be another rough and hard season, slight glimmer of hope we can get maybe 4th

devips

I am excited for the new season to begin. I believe ten Hag's United will surprise many a naysayers.

Players to dazzle: Martial, Rashford, Sancho, Ericsen, FDJ.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
I was buzzing when pre-season started, but I really think Ten Hag could be dragged through the mud thanks to lack of signings, Ronaldo debacle and Martial injury.

I really hope he's got the others on side and leaves Ronaldo to sulk in his own little world. We need 18 committed squad members this weekend, and in the words of Neil Warnock, die for the 3 points.

I'm not so bothered about results this season (unless it gets silly), but I just want to see them earn their money, show some commitment to the club, fans and the manager whilst actually engaging with the pretty obvious style of play the manager and coaches want to go with. But I can't help but feel it's going to be a case of same shit, different manager.

tomaldinho1

That's a shocking way of looking at things. In a league as competitive as the PL it's suicide not to back a manager in the first year you hire them.
Regardless of whether the ability is there or not it's the club's obligation morally and contractually to give the manager the best chance of success whichever way possible and investing in new players in the transfer window is a major factor
The fact that we've come off our worst ever season with close to 10 departures and counting happening there shouldn't even be a debate that Ten Hag should have received a lot more backing than what he's currently getting
Shocking because it worked out so well for us so far right? I’m not saying we don’t try for De Jong but if we can’t get his top targets we shouldn’t just sign lesser players out of desperation.

RkkMan

Shocking because it worked out so well for us so far right? I’m not saying we don’t try for De Jong but if we can’t get his top targets we shouldn’t just sign lesser players out of desperation.
So you were ambivalent with us backing managers that were not good enough in the past but the one promising manager we've hired since Sir Alex is where you want to draw the line off the back of our worst ever season?
And having to go for plan Bs is better than going for nothing when your midfield options are threadbare. This is a position that's been a major issue since Sir Alex was in charge not signing someone there would be gross negligence of the highest order

GL21

Absolutely buzzing and I'm counting down the days. We are going to see the maximum potential from all our players under ETH and this will be a major turnaround for rashford, martial and sancho. Still think we could be realistically be leaky but if they score 4 we'll score 5

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
I cant wait for the season to start, but I expect many bumps with that squad. However, EtH will do well

Bosws87

I'm buzzing, just to go back to the stadium and catch up with the people i haven't seen over the summer.

The football plays second fiddle to the match day experience these days :lol:

Crashoutcassius

Think the squad has improved if only slightly, the manager has improved over Ole and a million miles over Ralf, and hopefully with some momentum we can be on course for 3rd or 4th all season. We are still more likely than not to add another signing or two as well

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Absolutely cannot wait until Sunday. A new season is always a fresh start, and I think we will see steady improvement throughout the season.

We've signed three good players, all of which IMO have the potential to become big players in the team and cult figured amongst the fanbase.

Expectation wise I think it's important that we win the early games that we are supposed to win, to keep us in touch. We are going to make further signings and it is going to be a few weeks before we see a fully settled squad. I'm fine with that. A lot of clubs are in the same boat.

tomaldinho1

So you were ambivalent with us backing managers that were not good enough in the past but the one promising manager we've hired since Sir Alex is where you want to draw the line off the back of our worst ever season?
And having to go for plan Bs is better than going for nothing when your midfield options are threadbare. This is a position that's been a major issue since Sir Alex was in charge not signing someone there would be gross negligence of the highest order
No I’ve just learned to wait until I see the proof in the pudding. I though LVG would be good, I thought Mou would be better than he was, I’m very aware ETH might bomb completely. The reason he is in a pickle with a squad that needed an overhaul is precisely why we shouldn’t be going out and buying B, C and D preference.

First season I want to see us play good football for the first time in 5-6 years. I think we’re good enough as it stands to fight for 4th ( and maybe lose out) but throwing money at players just because lots of peripheral players left us never the answer.

Teja

It's going to be great! We finally found the right manager to go into the season and that's half the job when you're running a football club.

There will be good times and bad. And by bad I mean getting hammered 4-0 / 5-0 like Leeds used to because our press isn't there yet.

I fully expect us to play some liquid football at times this year and punch above our weight. I think we'll surprise quite a few people, just need a little bit of luck with injuries given our razor thin squad depth.

Dr Foo

Hopefully we get at least a forward and midfielder in the next few weeks to really give EtH the platform to transform us

Vaibhav Raj

I have severe doubts about technical abilities of a lot of our first team players. And I don't think the players we have recruited so far so a long way in making up for that. I know that I cannot expect any miracles this season from the coach/manager.

I'd feel excited/confident come end of August if we have bought some more players.

tomaldinho1

To be fair their is no sane reason to think the current United squad would get top 4.
Last season none of them got it right - many had Chelsea champions or 2nd, most had United 3rd or 4th, Liverpool were 3rd or lower in almost all their predictions. If anything this means United will win it :cool:

Varane around town

Of course!

There's no point being a fan if you can't get excited at the start of the season.

Should be a fun season despite our transfer window thus far. I can't wait to see what ETH does with this team and we're going to have to treat this season as the first of many under Ten Hag. I want to see what players will kick on and what young players will emerge under the new management. I don't have much faith in his achieving anything significant but we should be one of the favourites for the Europa, we could have a good run in one of the domestic cups.

I'm all in .