Anyone else buzzing for the start of the season?

Wing Attack Plan R

Nope! I have belief at this very moment that ETH is a genius and he’s going to lead us out of the wilderness, that we will catch up to the oil state teams, and the last decade of gross mismanagement is over. The moment this team faces off against even Brighton, the dream is gonna fecking collapse. So: no, don’t wake me up just yet.

TrueRed79

I definitely am. Forget the transfer window. Owned by incompetent idiots and run by a load of novices BUT, we finally have a manager on an upward curve, who likes to play progressive football, and most importantly he knows what he is doing! Can't wait for 2PM tomorrow.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
I’m buzzing about the inevitable collective moans and calls for ETH to be sacked when we end up drawing with Brighton.

Handsome Devil

We have become such a joke club now if you judge us by all the ribald quips from rival fans on the scuzzy comments sections of online rags. They are having a field day.
I'm not "buzzing" but I do believe ETH will kick a few asses and surprise a few people.
I want us to be HATED again for all the right reasons.

Telsim

Not really. I was very excited back in June. I thought let's just get on with the new season with exciting new additions and manager, but so very little has changed over the summer that I can't see it going any differently. I get excited for watching good football and this isn't going to happen with this squad. Too many of them are more suited to a bottom half team or relegation fodder.

Not to mention I'm not particularly interested in watching us play against Ludogorets, Maribor, Gent, or whatever in the EL.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
We have become such a joke club now if you judge us by all the ribald quips from rival fans on the scuzzy comments sections of online rags. They are having a field day.
I'm not "buzzing" but I do believe ETH will kick a few asses and surprise a few people.
I want us to be HATED again for all the right reasons.
Well said.
I too would say that I am not buzzing as I am a bit apprehensive, mainly because of such a poor transfer window, so far anyway.
But I have a growing feeling that we will surprise a few sceptics, hope I will be proved right.

Newtonius

The potential of ETH's football a few months back was exciting but the reality of the poor backroom staff has once again set in, the structure is just not in place to give him the tools he needs he is ultimately going in to a boxing match with two hands behind his back.

You can't help but laugh at the absurdity of it all really, it turns out we have a director of football that isn't actually a director of football, he very obviously lacks football knowledge i mean what kind of DOF a year and half in to their role hires a manager and hands over complete control to that manager? Expecting them to both do their job as a DOF but also a chief scout as well?

Nah man its truly appalling the situation we find ourselves in, for Murtough this summer window should have been payoff time for the "work" he had been putting in in and we are ultimately going in to the season without a striker and the potential for McFred again. Obviously ETH has control and his targets are just very very very limited, it doesn't even matter whether you trust him or not you can't blame him hes not a scout, theres a reason he didn't have that kind of control at Ajax just because they are well run.

Last edited:

Marwood

I've always believed a manager can only do so much.

You only have to look at SAF. Maybe the greatest ever but when he had one or two bad transfer periods it still really held is back on the pitch. Despite his own brilliance.

You need players and we haven't done the business this summer that we needed to.

DeGea’sFeet

Not to be a Debbie Downer but I’m really dismayed at our transfer window which has left us with the likelihood of Fred and McTominay starting on Sunday. We have made all these structural changes and have learned nothing
Same excited to have ETH… but when I look at our window

DeGea’sFeet

One thing to add. De Jong is solely down to ETH, can’t be blamed on Murtough et Al. In fact in other transfer Murtough et Al have done well.

Newtonius

One thing to add. De Jong is solely down to ETH, can’t be blamed on Murtough et Al. In fact in other transfer Murtough et Al have done well.
Hes a director of football not a chief negotiator hes done feck all this window obviously ETH is in control, and is being asked to fulfill several roles at the club at once particularly after the chief scouts have been sacked.

A DOF is ultimately meant to provide the ying to the manager's yang, hes been here a year and half and should know the talent deficit in midfield he doesn't even need the manager's blessing to address it hes ETH's boss, if he's ready to pull the plug on De Jong he shouldn't be able to overrule him.

Last edited:

Josh 76

Mcfred in CM, Maguire at the back, Dalot at RB, 38 year old as main striker,
how the feck can Utd fans be buzzing ?

DeGea’sFeet

Hes a director of football not a chief negotiator hes done feck all this window obviously ETH is in control, and is being asked to fulfill several roles at the club at once particularly after the chief scouts have been sacked.

A DOF is ultimately meant to provide the ying to the manager's yang, hes been here a year and half and should know the talent deficit in midfield he doesn't even need the manager's blessing to address it hes ETH's boss, if he's ready to pull the plug on De Jong he shouldn't be able to overrule him.
The club backs the manager. It has pros & cons.

The board & those above the manager I feel are in a loss lose situation if they pull the plug they look like they are not backing the manager, if de Jong doesn’t come to United they still end up getting blamed.

Kaos

I had some cautious optimism when we appointed Ten Hag, and almost got excited when we started bossing preseason early, linked to FdJ, Martinez, Timber etc.

Now a day before our season starts I've completely lost any buzz. We haven't really improved our squad from last year, still look like we're (amazingly) starting with McFred, and our board seem as inept and hapless as ever.

I’m loving my life

Murtough is allowing the whole shitshow to continue though. A DoF with any ounce of aptitude would have pulled the plug. The only way the club/Arnold can show we are changing our ways is by drop-kicking Murtough out of the door if the squad doesn’t improve drastically by the end of the window.

ColvaleGoa

Let's just hope ETH doesn't throw in the towel soon. I mean everyone is sharpening their knives for tomorrow. The Fan channels will be frothing at the mouth to prove Poch would behave been better. Transfer window/Midfield is what will let us down Again.

I am just hoping EtH persists and hope we can turn this around. So not buzzing just accepting to be on the ride that is going to be a rollercoaster!

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
On the positive side, I’m definitely buzzing to watch Eriksen Bruno and Sancho play on the pitch together under ten Hag coaching. On the negative side, we are stuck with mcfred midfield again, the same midfield that has failed us in the past. I wish we complete the Frenkie‘s signing.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
The potential of ETH's football a few months back was exciting but the reality of the poor backroom staff has once again set in, the structure is just not in place to give him the tools he needs he is ultimately going in to a boxing match with two hands behind his back.

You can't help but laugh at the absurdity of it all really, it turns out we have a director of football that isn't actually a director of football, he very obviously lacks football knowledge i mean what kind of DOF a year and half in to their role hires a manager and hands over complete control to that manager? Expecting them to both do their job as a DOF but also a chief scout as well?

Nah man its truly appalling the situation we find ourselves in, for Murtough this summer window should have been payoff time for the "work" he had been putting in in and we are ultimately going in to the season without a striker and the potential for McFred again. Obviously ETH has control and his targets are just very very very limited, it doesn't even matter whether you trust him or not you can't blame him hes not a scout, theres a reason he didn't have that kind of control at Ajax just because they are well run.
Ajax, run at least in part, but one Edwin van der Sar: the man I wanted as chief exec and got told here I was stupid...

DeGea’sFeet

Murtough is allowing the whole shitshow to continue though. A DoF with any ounce of aptitude would have pulled the plug. The only way the club/Arnold can show we are changing our ways is by drop-kicking Murtough out of the door if the squad doesn’t improve drastically by the end of the window.
If he did that when it should have been done, we’d still get calls of “not backing the manager”

Don’t get me wrong I like ETH and been impressed by what I seen. But De Jong is on him.

Alex123

I´m cautiously optimistic. There´s lot of question marks over our players, but if we get a good start to the season and our confidence up then there´s a chance of the same kind of impact when Solskjaer arrived. Players seem to be happy and for many this is a fresh start under new manager. Ten Hag is saying the right things, demanding a lot from the players and it seems like everyone wants to impress him.

DeGea’sFeet

I´m cautiously optimistic. There´s lot of question marks over our players, but if we get a good start to the season and our confidence up then there´s a chance of the same kind of impact when Solskjaer arrived. Players seem to be happy and for many this is a fresh start under new manager. Ten Hag is saying the right things, demanding a lot from the players and it seems like everyone wants to impress him.
Cautious is the word. The optimism comes from ETH, his coaching, what we’ve seen from him so far and the 3 signings . The caution comes from the lack of improvement in overall quality and depth and how well our rivals have done this summer.

El Jefe

If not for ten Hag, this would have been the most demoralised I've felt going into a new season. The three signings are good but its nowhere near enough.

RatPack

Nope.
Do not think even ETH can make a winning team out of these players.
A couple of long injuries in the wrong places and we could end up in bottom half

Rayman96

Supports
Also supports Rangers
Absolutely buzzing for the new season.
Hopefully that will last past half time :devil:
Confident ETH will improve us
So disappointed at our terrible transfer window but looking forward to see the new blood we have got in.
I want to stay calm and be realistic
No chance that happening :houllier:
CMON

wangyu

Not exactly buzzing but I just missed watching utd in the weekend and football in general.
If we’re being realistic we can.t expect big things yet. A season without much turmoil and some joy on the pitch is all we can hope for and given what we had to endure the last 9 years that is a lot.

Vapor trail

Thread is a good reality check for optimism on the basis of no evidence to support it.

Yagami

Good post resistant
As a lot of us said, we are nowhere near ready.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Totally deflated. Looking at the fixtures I seriously wonder where our first win will come from. We could easily be looking at the first 7 games without a win.