Anyone else not enjoying this because we didn’t make more signings?

TheRedHearted

If you are unhappy we didn’t sign certain players because it meant we couldn’t play well and then we didn’t dominate but still used our strengths and won I can understand but if we end up being effective without the signings and you’re still upset idk what to tell you.
The curious case for me is Periera, wonderful assist but Fred to me would do a better job

iluvoursolskjær

Searching for life's white text in London
no point crying over spilt milk. window is over and season has begun, get behind the team.

tbh i wouldn't be saying that if Jose was here because you'd just know what kind of season is coming - stagnant, regressive. Ole is showing intent however and the signs are positive, should enjoy the ride!

though i'm not gonna deny i was still kinda pissed at the state of our midfield during the game.

Last edited:

Reiver

Yep, as the fourth goal went in, all I could think about was how I wish we'd signed Bruno Fernandes.

Jimmy_Bond

Anybody else think Dybala would have hit that penalty slightly further into the top corner?

Amerifan

I spent the entire match thinking “if only we’d bought Neymar and Messi would win this thing 4:0”. Oh, wait...

OldSchoolManc

I can’t believe they hit the woodwork twice. It feels like we would have been slaughtered in an alternate universe.

RyRy11

Would have been 6-0 if we’d signed Dybala and Fernandes but we are now only sitting in second behind CITY! #OleOut

Son

I swear some people only watch football for the transfers.

We’ve won the title before with Anderson & Cleverly in midfield. Should we void that title since Chelsea spent more money on transfers?

End of the day u saw a whole new team yesterday compared to start of last season. All the youth coming through too.

Luke1995

Actually i'm not enjoying this because of the lack of players promoted from the youth system. Some of the threads on players in the reserves forum seems like they've been there forever but they never get the call-up to first team.

Foxbatt

We needed a quality midfield player for sure. Everyone knew this from a long time back. But honestly I do not think a new midfield player would have made that much of a difference.

maximus419

I think the options off the bench tonight proved why the fans are right to be worried and frustrated this season.

The win last week papered over the lack of depth in the midfield and forward areas because if the team wins and it's a good scoreline like 4-0, everything seems rosy.

However as the season progresses and form and fatigue come into play, you have to really question how will this squad cope.

An injury to rashford or martial leaves very little choices up front, similarly an injury to pogba or mctominay means a major headache in midfield.

Trouble is as rotation is less likely, due to lack of numbers, it's inevitable there will be plenty of injuries over the course of the season. I believe we will have a period like the end of last season, where we'll struggle to score goals and drop points and fall well outside the top 4.

flappyjay

We needed a quality midfield player for sure. Everyone knew this from a long time back. But honestly I do not think a new midfield player would have made that much of a difference.
Someone to play behind Martial and make passes lingard simply won't and can't make wouldn't have made much of a difference?

M Bison

Supports
York City
As long as we look to bring the youth through I’m fine with the lack of signings. It’s a gamble and I can see why Ole went with Lingard last night but he should certainly be dropped at the weekend.

We’ve potentially got Gomes and Greenwood to come through along with Axel and Chong. For me, it’s exciting, will result in some inconsistency but will serve us well in the longer term I believe.

Fahad Jawaid

Someone can't say it with a straight face that yesterday a team with a better Cm and Cam in place of Mctominay and Lingard would not have made a diffierence.

Its so disappointing that fans figured this out before the season that with this squad we are weaker in midfield and attack than last season and we should atleast make 2 more signings if we want to compete for the title with the top 2. However owing to lack of ambition we will be again competing with Arsenal and Chelsea for 4th spot.

welshwingwizard

As long as we look to bring the youth through I’m fine with the lack of signings. It’s a gamble and I can see why Ole went with Lingard last night but he should certainly be dropped at the weekend.

We’ve potentially got Gomes and Greenwood to come through along with Axel and Chong. For me, it’s exciting, will result in some inconsistency but will serve us well in the longer term I believe.
The question is whether he will though. He talked a good game last season and we didnt see youth until dead rubber games despite playing awfully.

Again in the summer it is the reason we haven't bought but the first time we need a winner and suddenly the first sub on is Mata with Greenwood only getting 2 minutes.

Mctominay is a Mourinho player. Who exacly is he playing to back up his lip service. I certainly can't see where he gives Gomes games if Mata is first on in these situations followed by Perreira who should be played in midfield not wide right.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
We wont enjoy it once we have injuries and cant replace our starting XI properly. It was madness to go into the season with such a thin squad (or not replacing the departing players)

Fanatic 00237

Supports
The Indomitable Lions

I only wish more of us could have the same view and be a little bit patient as the kids go through the teething process. We fans rarely look ahead into the future, we all want results here and now. You can already see many posters here criticising the insufficient number of signings, which I would translate as insuficient number of "established player" signings. I see this is a sign that Ole intends to bring in the Greenwood's, Axel's, Gomes', Garner's and Chong's more often as the season progresses to fill-in for injuries and for player rotation in the lesser Cup games but you just know everyone will be slaughtering them when they underperform and blaming eventual defeats on not having brought in more established players.

I agree with you that it will yield fruits in the medium to long-term, not immediately, and we ought to be patient with the fact that they will be inconsistent in their performances this season, even within a single game, but how many people understand that?

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Our bench is shocking, anyone who thinks we signed enough players in the summer is an idiot, regardless of our early results.

Unless we are miraculously lucky with injuries this year (which we never have been) then we're going to feel the brunt of not signing players in key positions sooner or later.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
We wont enjoy it once we have injuries and cant replace our starting XI properly. It was madness to go into the season with such a thin squad (or not replacing the departing players)
we dont have a thin squad, if anything our squad is still bloated and needs to be cut - yesterday Sanchez, Fred, Dalot, Jones, Gomes etc cant even make the bench

I would agree that we are light in midfield though but you cant expect everything to be solved in 1 window

M Bison

Supports
York City
The question is whether he will though. He talked a good game last season and we didnt see youth until dead rubber games despite playing awfully.

Again in the summer it is the reason we haven't bought but the first time we need a winner and suddenly the first sub on is Mata with Greenwood only getting 2 minutes.

Mctominay is a Mourinho player. Who exacly is he playing to back up his lip service. I certainly can't see where he gives Gomes games if Mata is first on in these situations followed by Perreira who should be played in midfield not wide right.
I would have liked to have seen Greenwood sooner last night but i can see why he brought Mata on, in theory he should have settled the game down and got his foot on the ball as it was tense - as it happened he didnt and he was poor but the thinking made sense. Throwing a couple of young lads in on 60 mins last night would have been tough on them, it was intense and we were getting overrun so I thought Ole played it right leaving it as was.

Neither of us can say for certain whether we will see the likes of Gomes and Greenwood but i'd be very surprised if we didn't. Last night wasn't the right game for either nor was Chelsea, home to Palace on Saturday would make sense but i'd be surprised to see either start.

I think you're jumping the gun a bit with the lip service point, its the 2nd game of the season and we've had 2 tough games to start with. We've got 4 points which i think most fans would have accepted before the season started so I think Ole has been right in his team selections.

welshwingwizard

I would have liked to have seen Greenwood sooner last night but i can see why he brought Mata on, in theory he should have settled the game down and got his foot on the ball as it was tense - as it happened he didnt and he was poor but the thinking made sense. Throwing a couple of young lads in on 60 mins last night would have been tough on them, it was intense and we were getting overrun so I thought Ole played it right leaving it as was.

Neither of us can say for certain whether we will see the likes of Gomes and Greenwood but i'd be very surprised if we didn't. Last night wasn't the right game for either nor was Chelsea, home to Palace on Saturday would make sense but i'd be surprised to see either start.

I think you're jumping the gun a bit with the lip service point, its the 2nd game of the season and we've had 2 tough games to start with. We've got 4 points which i think most fans would have accepted before the season started so I think Ole has been right in his team selections.
They are fair comments. I am including last season in turns of lip service but I accept your argunent.

I do question why we keep on believing players like Mata will be capable of having the impact you suggest. We have tried that course of action many times before and he never calms things or has an impact.

Like playing rojo, darmian and so many others you know what you are going to get. And its not good. There shouldn't be more opportunities for these guys. They won't suddently become good.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
we dont have a thin squad, if anything our squad is still bloated and needs to be cut - yesterday Sanchez, Fred, Dalot, Jones, Gomes etc cant even make the bench

I would agree that we are light in midfield though but you cant expect everything to be solved in 1 window
Look at our midfield or attack. Or even the fullback positions. One injury, and we suffer in quality. Just having numbers is obviously not enough, we need quality

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Look at our midfield or attack. Or even the fullback positions. One injury, and we suffer in quality. Just having numbers is obviously not enough, we need quality
Well I dont even disagree, but I just dont think you can describe our squad as thin

and we are absolutely fine at fullback (Dalot cant even make the bench at the moment).
Im comfortable with our attack, but will be one short if Sanchez leaves - should open opportunity for Gomes and Chong though.

Midfield I do agree we need reinforcement

Sterling Archer

It's as much the signings as it is the players we kept. If we saw Gomes and Chong on a regular basis, last night's draw for instance might be easier to stomach. You expect the naive and take pleasure in seeing improvement. But when its the same old players (Jesse, Mata for instance) it isn't the same

Trezeguet17

I enjoy seeing Martial playing in the right position. It is like a new signing

M Bison

Supports
York City
They are fair comments. I am including last season in turns of lip service but I accept your argunent.

I do question why we keep on believing players like Mata will be capable of having the impact you suggest. We have tried that course of action many times before and he never calms things or has an impact.

Like playing rojo, darmian and so many others you know what you are going to get. And its not good. There shouldn't be more opportunities for these guys. They won't suddently become good.
I certainly agree on the likes of Rojo and Darmian, but i do believe we'll see less of them (if anything) - we've got 3 new defenders vs last season including Axel so their opportunities will be limited.

I've never been a Mata fan, even when we signed him i thought it was the wrong move and he wasnt what we needed. That said, I can see the rationale for bringing him on last night though and like the other 2, I do think his playing time will reduce but to opt for someone over him in that sort of game with the scoreline as it was would have been a big call.

The first game of the season was must-win given all the hype around the owners and our transfer dealings and last night was a really tough away game, so its understandable not to put the young inexperienced lads in yet. I do think we'll see more of them over the coming weeks but I dont expect to see them all thrown in to the starting line up in the next match, i expect Angel and Greenwood to come on as a sub now and then and gradually get more minutes which would be the sensible thing to do.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
For me its important to have the facts about whether the finances were there or not. Sadly, we will never know for sure. Some reports I've seen seem to suggest quite clearly that we are still being impacted quite heavily by signings made by previous managers, and the structure of those payments over time.

Point being, if the money was only there to have made two significant signings then I think we made the right ones for the team. Our defence looks significantly better than last season.

I can see us bringing in another player in January and then properly addressing the creative side of the squad next summer. The core of this team now is young enough to allow us to do that.

croadyman

So gutting to see how threadbare we are in that midfield area,unfortunately means we are unable to create enough chances in games.

Despite how bad he has been for us we shouldn't let Sanchez leave because have very little as it is.