Anyone else who doesn't care for signing more defenders?

Skills

Snitch
I'd rather we just fix the attack. Watching us play dreadful football for the last few seasons, I wouldn't mind us just go mental in attack (a bit like Liverpool last season) and then once we're finally playing football worthy of this club build the defence.

I mean most people on here think we're shit anyway and it's not going to get fixed straight away. So while, we're expected to remain shit why not just focus on building the side of the team that will be at least worth watching? The likes of Madrid, Barcelona, City have shown a great attack is much more important than a great defence.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
It depends what sort of defender.

When we bought Stam and Rio they were fees at the time that screamed top class defender.

The worrying thing now is when the likes of Maguire are being talked about at 60-70m, as he's definitely not one to get too excited over.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
When you sign good defender your attack flourishes as well. Still not sure if Mourinho in charge would change anything no matter who we sign but hoping...

shamans

It depends what sort of defender.

When we bought Stam and Rio they were fees at the time that screamed top class defender.

The worrying thing now is when the likes of Maguire are being talked about at 60-70m, as he's definitely not one to get too excited over.
Maguire is really, really good. I have wanted him for years now. I don't care about the price tag, it's not my money. Free up garbage like Sanchez and use his wages for Maquire instead.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Maguire is really, really good. I have wanted him for years now. I don't care about the price tag, it's not my money. Free up garbage like Sanchez and use his wages for Maquire instead.
Really? IMO he's nothing special.

endless_wheelies

feeling dizzy
Yeah fans of Liverpool and Manchester City simply loved their teams when they conceded sloppy goal after sloppy goal each week to ruin otherwise decent performances. Just go and look back through their forums.

Stactix

Yeah fans of Liverpool and Manchester City simply loved their teams when they conceded sloppy goal after sloppy goal each week to ruin otherwise decent performances. Just go and look back through their forums.
Would still be an improvement over shite negative football and still conceding sloppy goals even with 10 men behind the fecking ball.

Hoof the ball

True, although, it's worth noting that both teams were transitioning to an entire different footballing philosophy, on and off the ball. It's inevitable that there's going to be defensive teething when trying to adapt to playing so high up the field. To expect a completely smooth transition would be entirely unrealistic. VVD aside, there's no substitute for a better collective confidence in defending in all areas of the field.

Mick321

We need players in all areas but hopefully we don't sign another player under the current idiot.

Copa Mundial

A solid defence is the foundation of any great team. Just look at the great Utd, Arsenal and Chelsea teams since 2000. All had a rock solid back four!

Keep a clean sheet and you only have to nick a goal to get all 3 points. Keep conceding and it gets far harder to win matches!

Reactions: Penna

broccoli

Supports
FCPorto
We need players in all areas but hopefully we don't sign another player under the current idiot.
Dude we get it you hate the man can you stop moaning in every thread? Ffs what's the point of promoting this piece of work? So he complains and complains all over the forum? Jesus

MrPooni

Should have done a poll so we could flag anyone who voted yes and ignore anything else they have to say about football.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
I would not be disappointed going into next season with the current center back that we have because I believe our poor defense comes from having a poor midfield that don’t know how to control possession or properly press an opposition. Take out Matic, and Fellaini and put in workhorse/technical gifted footballers like Fred, Herrera, Ndombele, Frankie De Jong and we would have a much stronger core

Fred/Herrera/McTominay
Pogba?(Paqueta)/Frankie De Jong - Ndombele/Peirera

However, I would say that we must sign fullback on both side this winter or summer. This should be Young and Valencia last season at United. I have question mark on whether Shaw and Dalot are good enough to start. They are certainly good enough to provide cover though.

Last edited:

Mick321

Dude we get it you hate the man can you stop moaning in every thread? Ffs what's the point of promoting this piece of work? So he complains and complains all over the forum? Jesus
It's not 2004 anymore, your idol is past it.

Stepney73

We need to replace that traffic cone in midfield first but I agree we need a better threat upfront.

You score 2 and we will score 3 etc.

endless_wheelies

feeling dizzy
Would still be an improvement over shite negative football and still conceding sloppy goals even with 10 men behind the fecking ball.
All I'll say is be careful what you wish for.

True, although, it's worth noting that both teams were transitioning to an entire different footballing philosophy, on and off the ball. It's inevitable that there's going to be defensive teething when trying to adapt to playing so high up the field. To expect a completely smooth transition would be entirely unrealistic. VVD aside, there's no substitute for a better collective confidence in defending in all areas of the field.
Was the gung-ho nature of Rodgers and Pellegrini really that dissimilar to Klopp and Guardiola?

And if group confidence is more important than having the individual quality to carry out a manager's vision then why have ALL 10 starting goalkeepers/defenders changed in personnel between the two sets of managers?

Ibi Dreams

We should be able to get more out of the defenders we've got, to be fair. Our defensive record this season is mental, it doesn't make sense when you look at our records over the past few seasons (the same players, pretty much) and we have players who HAVE been fairly reliable over a long period of time in Smalling and Jones, though their injury records aren't the most reliable. Our defending this season has been so weird and really unexpected. Even under Moyes and Van Gaal we were usually still pretty solid, and Mourinho is known for being very good at organising the defence.

Starkie_1

Affluent and Likeminded
We should be able to get more out of the defenders we've got, to be fair. Our defensive record this season is mental, it doesn't make sense when you look at our records over the past few seasons (the same players, pretty much) and we have players who HAVE been fairly reliable over a long period of time in Smalling and Jones, though their injury records aren't the most reliable. Our defending this season has been so weird and really unexpected. Even under Moyes and Van Gaal we were usually still pretty solid, and Mourinho is known for being very good at organising the defence.
We conceded an incredible amount of chances every single game last year, De Gea was in superhuman mode and keeping out the ridiculous. It’s masked over massive cracks.

This year, we attempted to be more attacking (or at least play forward quicker) and it fell apart because of how awful our CB’s and Matic positioning was. Hence the situation we were in for a few months of tumescent rigid football.

SATA

Me. Bailly and Smalling is a good enough partnership for me week in week out. Rather the money be spend towards a world class striker, someone like Harry Kane or Icardi

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
If signing a new defender means we can sell more of our current defenders then I'm all for it in theory.

Really depends on the defender though.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
I still think Bailly-Lindelof can be our first choice pair. Especially if we get a manager who has us playing a high line.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I want us to sign defenders, of course I do but our midfield and attack are worse. No part of this team functions.

Irwin99

A top centre back is important but can't shake the feeling that a new left back, that's consistent, injury free, and can attack, would do wonders too. Young and Shaw have done well at different times but are hardly the best in the league.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
We've got lots of average to good-ish centre backs, which just isn't good enough for any team with genuinely high aspirations. We could easily ship one (or 2 if Tuanzebe is seen as good enough to be a squad player) of them out and put the money towards a properly top player.

It would make a huge difference to the team.

Mainoldo

Even with a new manager. I think our CB’s are fine. Just need confidence and less pressure on them.

Josep Dowling

It’s so obvious we need a right winger. Even against Valencia now a CM gets the ball and there is never an option on the right side. It’s so easy to defend against.

CB and RW would be my priority signings.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
It's a game of opinions, but to me, just like Pickford, he's massively been overrated because of a fairly decent world cup.

Chairman Steve

To be honest, player signings are more of an afterthought in our current position.

I would celebrate a new first team head coach with first ever official Utd DoF like if we signed a 25 year old Cristiano Ronaldo.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
I’d definitely want to get rid of a few (yes a few!) and sign at least a couple, and maybe try and promote another 1 or 2.

Signing a defender can have a positive influence at both ends of the field. It’s more important that it’s the right player we sign - if that player becomes available. And not just sign another for the sake of signing someone.

Besides, if the right player is available, he’ll be class under a different manager as well. (I hope :nervous:)

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
When you sign good defender your attack flourishes as well. Still not sure if Mourinho in charge would change anything no matter who we sign but hoping...
Liverpool signed Van Dijk and their attacking football has got worse not better?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Even with a new manager. I think our CB’s are fine. Just need confidence and less pressure on them.
Last season people thought we had a solid defence, yet this season, with the complete same roll call, if not better, as Shaw is actually going decently, people act as if we have some of the worst defenders ever seen.

shamans

Liverpool signed Van Dijk and their attacking football has got worse not better?
It's gotten better. Watch MNF this week and the heat map analysis Neville and Cara did. Their attacks are more meaningful now and they have more success per attack rather than running around like mad dogs.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
We've only scored 6 less than Liverpool, 2 less than Spurs despite still having no right winger or knowing what our best front 3 is. On the other hand we've conceded 20(!) more than Liverpool. Pretty clear where our problems lie. I'd gladly see the whole back 4 replaced.

arthurka

Dont care at all.. just want this rubbish under Mourinho to end we are absolutely dire .. A Manager who plays Rojo anywhere needs to leave.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I just want us to sign a new gaffer.