Television Anyone recommend me any TV Shows?

ShinjiNinja26

Anyone watched The Alienist on Netflix? Read the description and it seems like my kinda show but wanna know if it’s any good first. Same with Godless.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Strange...Dracula is now available on Netflix, but with no 'play' button, just the blurb.
Watch the first two. Then make up your own ending. In mine he gets a job in Dominic Cummings new techno-fascist Civil Service and strikes up a petty feud with Jacob Raes Mogg over who can wear the silliest Victorian capes.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
It's supposed to be fictional, mate.

Mockney

It's supposed to be fictional, mate.
Speaking of...ish... I've always found it really interesting how the basis for the aristocratic vampire mythos Dracula popularised was actually created 60 odd years earlier, as a friendly shade of Lord Byron, during the same syphilitic drunken writing competition that spawned Frankenstien!... I mean, that's one hell of a productive sesh, isn't it? Two of the most iconic and enduring creations of their genre, and indeed all media, were dreamt up by a couple of hammered 20 year olds on a getaway piss up, in a group so perpetually battered that 3 of the 4 people present were dead by their mid-30s!

Whereas I just tend to spend a lot of time in people's kitchens, talking about how weird it is that we always seem to end up in the kitchen. And there's probably not a novel in that. At least not a very good one.

SteveJ

Scout
:lol:

Yeah, it's a great story in itself (which is why it's been made into films a number of times, I guess). Mary Shelley's own words regarding her nightmare are evocative enough, let alone her actual work.

Given the group's political opinions, I suppose it was inevitable that their stories would share a common theme: established authority - of all kinds - corrupts and infects the body...and body politic.

Mockney

Also worth noting that Dracula was also apparently based on a nightmare Stoker had of a group of women attacking him, only for a suave older man to intervene and tell them “he’s mine”.... which, you know, can be interpreted in a lot of interesting ways... though actually, mainly just the one!

It also makes you wonder what they were all ingesting back then. Cos it seems like some really good shit!*

* probably just sewage tbf

Roosney

Finished watching seasons 1 ans 2 of Bordertown (aka "Sorjonen") , if you like dark Scandinavian detective shows this will please you. Loved it.
Funny how this gets a lot of praise. As a Finn myself I find the show cringeworthy, too Hollywoodish.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
For the first time! How is that even possible?:eek: Aye absolutely brilliant series, must have watched it about 5 or 6 times
Just one of those things that’s somehow slipped the net. Almost glad it has, it’s been like finding a £20 note in a pocket of something I’ve not worn for ages!

AkaAkuma

Anyone watched The Alienist on Netflix? Read the description and it seems like my kinda show but wanna know if it’s any good first. Same with Godless.
Godless was excellent, didn't like the ending though.

Alienist was above average, decent cast, story and production value.

SteveJ

Scout
Strange...Dracula is now available on Netflix, but with no 'play' button, just the blurb.
Still the same situation. Anyone know what's going on, please?

SteveJ

Scout
Thanks. :)
I haven't been continuously pressing a black page at all.

Andersons Dietician

Sex Education season 2 starts on the 17th of January giving people enough time to watch the first Season. It’s really good.

Mockney

Liam Williams’ Ladhood is very good, as was his earlier series Please Like (only spelt a way the Caf won’t let me). He veers into Partridge territory regularly, but channeled into a more self conscious millennial.

So if that sounds good... watch that.

Last edited:

RedNed77

Just finished preacher. Brilliant show. Very underrated
Can’t believe the lack of mentions this show gets. Great show, it meandered a bit in the second season but the last one was great. I suppose I can see people’s complaints if it strayed from the source comics too much, but having never read them and not being a comic reader, it was fine by me.

Also Legion was decent, it was a little hard to follow with the weirdness sometimes and is one of few shows that merit a second watch, but was always visually stunning.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Watching Medical Police. It's fun, has an Airplane vibe to the comedy but obviously not as good. Still an easy watch though.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Just finished Dracula. First 2 episodes were excellent (I'd go so far as to say the second was excellent), but the third was absolutely ridiculous even by Moffat standards. Really really bad.

Claes Bang was an interesting choice for Dracula and was excellent and Dolly Wells was superb as Van Helsing.

AaronRedDevil

Can’t believe the lack of mentions this show gets. Great show, it meandered a bit in the second season but the last one was great. I suppose I can see people’s complaints if it strayed from the source comics too much, but having never read them and not being a comic reader, it was fine by me.

Also Legion was decent, it was a little hard to follow with the weirdness sometimes and is one of few shows that merit a second watch, but was always visually stunning.
Very underrated. Trying for years to get my friend to watch it because it's up his fecking ally, but he wont for some reason hah. Anyway yeah I love the show, last season was great and God was weirdly great in it.

pauldyson1uk

Just finished Dracula. First 2 episodes were excellent (I'd go so far as to say the second was excellent), but the third was absolutely ridiculous even by Moffat standards. Really really bad.

Claes Bang was an interesting choice for Dracula and was excellent and Dolly Wells was superb as Van Helsing.
Agreed 1 and 2 both excellent, 3 was just a mess, but I still enjoyed it.
Bang was excellent , played the part well, with a good bit of dry humour in there, Dolly Wells was the star of the show for me.

Dante

Average bang

Agreed.

I've never used the word 'romp' to describe a TV show, but I think I'm going to break my duck.

Romp.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Watching Medical Police. It's fun, has an Airplane vibe to the comedy but obviously not as good. Still an easy watch though.
I've just finished this too. Definitely feeling the Airplane/Police Squad sort of vibe. Really great fun to watch, very silly. I like Rob Huebel in anything he's in, which is usually only a couple of episodes of something. Good to see him in a lead role.

Only negative was Blake not having a bigger part.

Dante

Average bang
Anyone watch Messiah? Looks interesting. Though not sure if I should watch it.
I'm on episode 5 at the moment.

It's got the B-movie feel of a show from the USA Network like Burn Notice, The 4400 or Invasion.

An interesting overall premise, but cheesily executed and with too much focus on smaller characters and their personal dramas. If they stick to the main arc, I'm hoping it'll get better.

Although I'm an avowed atheist, I'm generally a sucker for religious mythology in TV/movies. It's effectively sci fi/fantasy, but with a lore that everyone knows about and where it's difficult to stray too far out of accepted confines (which is something I hate in comic book movies). So this should be right up my street. But unless it improves, it's a show I'll have completely forgotten I watched in 6 months' time.

The fan score on RT make me hopeful it's got a big ending.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
The Outsider on HBO has started promisingly. I vaguely recall some trepidation amongst Stephen King fans maybe...?

But you have Mendelsohn, HBO, King, and Batemen in a serious role together. There's a lot to like there.

Edit: I also like this 2 episode premiere thing as a compromise between weekly and binge watching.

wr8_utd

:'(
The Outsider on HBO has started promisingly. I vaguely recall some trepidation amongst Stephen King fans maybe...?

But you have Mendelsohn, HBO, King, and Batemen in a serious role together. There's a lot to like there.

Edit: I also like this 2 episode premiere thing as a compromise between weekly and binge watching.
There honestly wasn't all that much content in the book interesting enough to make a series out of imo.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
i hadnt seen it for 7-8 years and forgot how nice seinfeld could be.
also, there's this little-known underground show called 30 rock which more people should know about, it is sometimes funny!!!

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!

There honestly wasn't all that much content in the book interesting enough to make a series out of imo.
They've already covered about 60% of the book in the first two episodes, and apparently there's ten episodes. Considering the first half of the book is the only good half of the book, I'm pessimistic about the remaining eight, though the first two were good.

Mockney

i hadnt seen it for 7-8 years and forgot how nice seinfeld could be.
also, there's this little-known underground show called 30 rock which more people should know about, it is sometimes funny!!!
If you miss 30 Rock, I’d recommend “Great News” written by one of its staff writers with an extended cameo by Fey, with both seasons on Netflix.

wr8_utd

:'(
They've already covered about 60% of the book in the first two episodes, and apparently there's ten episodes. Considering the first half of the book is the only good half of the book, I'm pessimistic about the remaining eight, though the first two were good.
Yeah it goes on a massive downward trajectory in the second half. And if they've covered that much in 2 episodes, what on earth have they got saved for the next 8? This book was a 6 part miniseries at most!