Television Anyone recommend me any TV Shows?

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
The Bear. There's a tiny thread on it here somewhere. About a michelin trained chef (might have made that up) in Chicago trying to run his brothers sandwich business after he takes his own life. It's brilliant.

HookedOnAPhelan

The first episode of Dahmer just out on netflix is brilliant. As good an episode of anything i have seen in a while. Hopefully the series will keep it up.
Just watched the first episode myself, and yeah, superbly made and acted.

Re: the clip posted by entropy, not surprised by that at all. When I saw the trailer I thought it looked fantastic in terms of its production values, but I also thought it would get criticism for being exploitative. Plus it's not exactly the first series/film made about Dahmer.

Last edited:

sallycinnamin

That parallel with Denis Nielsen the not listening, not acting and attitudes towards homosexuality from authorities. Without giving away too much as there were so many victims but that fourteen year old ..my God.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Agreed. We really liked it.
The commitment to physical detail of the environs was stellar. Apple is shooting Manhunter: John Wilkes Booth here in Savannah now & I've been able to see some of the retro sets constructed & they are quite stunning.

Apple TV is on am absolute roll.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff

Re: the clip posted by entropy, not surprised by that at all. When I saw the trailer I thought it looked fantastic in terms of its production values, but I also thought it would get criticism for being exploitative. Plus it's not exactly the first series/film made about Dahmer.
Jut came here to see if anyone saw it after reading the below. Fair to say the Caf liked it more than the Guardian:lol:

Is Ryan Murphy’s Jeffrey Dahmer show the most exploitative TV of 2022?

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-...ey-dahmer-netflix-ryan-murphy-exploitative-tv

HookedOnAPhelan

Jut came here to see if anyone saw it after reading the below. Fair to say the Caf liked it more than the Guardian:lol:

Is Ryan Murphy’s Jeffrey Dahmer show the most exploitative TV of 2022?

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-...ey-dahmer-netflix-ryan-murphy-exploitative-tv
I'm on episode 8 now, and yeah, I agree with just about every point in that article (not the part about Peters' performance though, he's excellent). The problem with the show is that it's a real case. If it was fiction it would be lauded as brilliantly made and acted, but since it isn't watching it feels kind of wrong.

I'm still gonna finish it though :nervous:

Last edited:

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
I'm on episode 8 now, and yeah, I agree with just about every point in that article (not the part about Peters' performance though, he's excellent). The problem with the show is that it's a real case. If it was fiction it would be lauded as brilliantly made and acted, but since it isn't watching it feels kind of wrong.

I'm still gonna finish it though :nervous:
Glad everyone thinks it's good because I need something to watch. It was an interesting, if ghoulish case, and let's face it people's interest in serial killers is pretty morbid.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
If it was fiction it wouldnt be as good. Its the fact that we know that this has actually happened that adds to it.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
There's a fine line between glorifying a serial killer and showing them for the monster they are. I've only watched one episode and it did was definitely more the latter, but those articles are a bit concerning. It's certainly well made and very watchable, though.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
I checked out Abbott Elementary today. Pretty good so far. It's got Office/Parks and Rec vibes, mockumentary sitcom based in a Philadelphia elementary school. It's got the kid that played Chris in Everybody Hates Chris, all grown up. It's good, easy watching. S1 is on Disney+ and Season 2 has just started. Gritty is in the first episode of season 2, if that appeals to you, which it should.

Rasendori

Man Of Culture
Does anybody know a show about a business owner/entrepreneur/ go getter/workaholic in 9-5 which is predicated on maintaining a life balance whether that's friendships, relationships, or personal passion projects?

Ahmer Baig

After The Expanse, its kind of hard not to compare from its level of detail, while watching other sci-fi shows.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Right after I was down on musicals in the favorite movie thread of course I find an interesting musical show I've been enjoying

Jungle (2022) is based on the streets of London and it's a hip-hop musical. No characters breaking into song but they speak to each other rapping verses at times. It does have normal dialogue and I find the rap verses well done. It's really interesting and as a crime show aficionado I find it good so far. Hopefully its not just a gimmick but reamins well done all the way through.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
There's a fine line between glorifying a serial killer and showing them for the monster they are. I've only watched one episode and it did was definitely more the latter, but those articles are a bit concerning. It's certainly well made and very watchable, though.
I thought the whole point was to make you feel uncomfortable watching it? I'm 5 episodes in and I think it is very good so far.

lsd

The Oracle
I checked out Abbott Elementary today. Pretty good so far. It's got Office/Parks and Rec vibes, mockumentary sitcom based in a Philadelphia elementary school. It's got the kid that played Chris in Everybody Hates Chris, all grown up. It's good, easy watching. S1 is on Disney+ and Season 2 has just started. Gritty is in the first episode of season 2, if that appeals to you, which it should.

Loved the first season and looking forward to watching the second.

It does look like they took what works in the office and Parks then mixed them together in a new setting.

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
Right after I was down on musicals in the favorite movie thread of course I find an interesting musical show I've been enjoying

Jungle (2022) is based on the streets of London and it's a hip-hop musical. No characters breaking into song but they speak to each other rapping verses at times. It does have normal dialogue and I find the rap verses well done. It's really interesting and as a crime show aficionado I find it good so far. Hopefully its not just a gimmick but reamins well done all the way through.
EDIT:
Changing my mind a bit after Episode 4 and how it starts up a new storyline with a new protagonist and cast. Was hoping they would get deeper into the schemes and twisting plotlines with Willow and such but they show seems to have ended that arc. That has been disappointing

Last edited:

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
Does anybody know a show about a business owner/entrepreneur/ go getter/workaholic in 9-5 which is predicated on maintaining a life balance whether that's friendships, relationships, or personal passion projects?
You should really just watch The Wire anyway.

Loved the first season and looking forward to watching the second.

It does look like they took what works in the office and Parks then mixed them together in a new setting.
I love this show, the second season is already out

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Never watched the Wire before. So, I've just Googled the synopsis and apparently its about drug dealing. Not quite what I was looking for, but I appreciate the response. Thank you.
Take The Wire for a spin regardless. You won't be disappointed.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Never watched the Wire before. So, I've just Googled the synopsis and apparently its about drug dealing. Not quite what I was looking for, but I appreciate the response. Thank you.
Saying The Wire is about drug dealing is like saying Game of Thrones is just about dragons and zombies.

Sorry if I've now put you off watching GoT too. :lol:

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
That’s like saying The Sopranos is about psychologists.

Honestly just watch it, it’s fantastic.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Have you watched season two? Is it as good as the first season?
Not as good but still pretty great. The way season one ended was so good, it was hard to live up to it in my opinion but it was still fantastic.

Last edited:

Rasendori

Man Of Culture
You should really just watch The Wire anyway.
Take The Wire for a spin regardless. You won't be disappointed.
Saying The Wire is about drug dealing is like saying Game of Thrones is just about dragons and zombies.

Sorry if I've now put you off watching GoT too. :lol:
That’s like saying The Sopranos is about psychologists.

Honestly just watch it, it’s fantastic.
It wasn't my intention for my post to come across as discourteous to fans of The Wire. When I asked for a show related to an owner/entrepreneur/ go getter/workaholic in 9-5, I was thinking a salesman, a marketing executive, an owner of an accounting firm, an attorney, a creative, a blue collar worker etc. From shows I've watched, I would say Suits, Billions, Severance, and Empire meet the criteria I was searching for.

For example in Empire, there's three brothers competing to own a record label worth millions of dollars. At one point in the show, one of the brothers has a boyfriend, and he's in a predicament of giving his new bf time and affection, and pursuing his goal to leave behind a legacy in the music industry. At this point, he was on an upwards trajectory, and each moment he spends with his BF, one brother in particular is catching ground on him. So he ends up in a precarious position where he's breaking promises to his bf for a higher purpose, and then the mixed emotions of happiness at accomplishments, combined with the guilt of upsetting his partner.

Again, I'm grateful for Neverdie's suggestion of The Wire. I read the synopsis to identify how the show is linked to finances, and my findings were drug dealers and the police. I imagine Neverdie's line of thinking was the hustling aspect of drug dealing would meet the criteria I was asking for. That's why I thanked him, as I appreciate the thought process to make that connection. But wasn't quite what I was looking for. I was thinking a line of work that one could have on their resume. That's not to say The Wire isn't a brilliant show in its own right, I'm sure it is, its widely considered to be one of the greatest shows ever. I was after a very specific kind of show. My apologies for the offence I've caused.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
It wasn't my intention for my post to come across as discourteous to fans of The Wire. When I asked for a show related to an owner/entrepreneur/ go getter/workaholic in 9-5, I was thinking a salesman, a marketing executive, an owner of an accounting firm, an attorney, a creative, a blue collar worker etc. From shows I've watched, I would say Suits, Billions, Severance, and Empire meet the criteria I was searching for.

For example in Empire, there's three brothers competing to own a record label worth millions of dollars. At one point in the show, one of the brothers has a boyfriend, and he's in a predicament of giving his new bf time and affection, and pursuing his goal to leave behind a legacy in the music industry. At this point, he was on an upwards trajectory, and each moment he spends with his BF, one brother in particular is catching ground on him. So he ends up in a precarious position where he's breaking promises to his bf for a higher purpose, and then the mixed emotions of happiness at accomplishments, combined with the guilt of upsetting his partner.

Again, I'm grateful for Neverdie's suggestion of The Wire. I read the synopsis to identify how the show is linked to finances, and my findings were drug dealers and the police. I imagine Neverdie's line of thinking was the hustling aspect of drug dealing would meet the criteria I was asking for. That's why I thanked him, as I appreciate the thought process to make that connection. But wasn't quite what I was looking for. I was thinking a line of work that one could have on their resume. That's not to say The Wire isn't a brilliant show in its own right, I'm sure it is, its widely considered to be one of the greatest shows ever. I was after a very specific kind of show. My apologies for the offence I've caused.
If you want to see the negative side of sales, watch Glengarry Glen Ross. Not a series, a movie based on a Mamet play.

redcucumber

If you want to see the negative side of sales, watch Glengarry Glen Ross. Not a series, a movie based on a Mamet play.
Such a fecking banger. The inspiration for Gil Gunderson from the Simpsons, too. Way overdue a rewatch. Nice one for the heads up!

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports

If you're looking for finance and sales in particular I wouldn't suggest Severance or Empire. Severance is speculative fiction on generic corporate culture with a sci-fi premise and Empire deals with the music industry rather than finance. Suits is more lawyer/legal focused.

I'd say Billions, Industry, and StartUp would be your best bets. Billions and Industry deal directly with finance firms and StartUp is about three people coming together to launch a cryptocurrency.