Television Anyone recommend me any TV Shows?

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
FIVE DAYS AT MEMORIAL

A dramatisation of the events that unfolded at Memorial Hospital in New Orleans in the wake of Hurricane Katrina, starring Vera Farmiga as a surgeon whose actions at the hospital on the 5th day come under scrutiny in the aftermath.

This show does not sugarcoat the abhorrent conditions at the hospital as they lose power and the building turns into a cooker, slowly dissolving into a war zone (a character compares the evacuation to the Fall of Saigon). Without spoiling anything, it expertly conveys the grey area that is end-of-life patient care in the event of a disaster and exposes the utter failure of government at every level.

As much as I enjoyed the first two thirds of the show covering each day in the hospital, I actually liked the final third - which is more of a procedural - even more.

Highly recommended and also feck you @calodo2003 for making watch that good boy be put to sleep.

8/10
Glad you enjoyed the series.

I was moved to tears multiple times as the show hit hard with me due to my mom's family living on the coast of Mississippi. We had some absolute tragedies dur to Katrina. The one you specifically mention was a gut punch for me.

SirAnderson

On the finale of Season 2 of Mayor of Kingstown and just feels like they've made it needlessly complicated and intentionally muddled when it could have all been resolved.
That's disappointing to hear. I heard some good things from others. Was supposed to start it this week but was in movie mode, may give it a watch over the weekend though.

wr8_utd

:'(
That's disappointing to hear. I heard some good things from others. Was supposed to start it this week but was in movie mode, may give it a watch over the weekend though.
Oh don't get me wrong. I thoroughly enjoyed the season but I just think they made some choices in the episode that were rather peculiar but it all ended well.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Got Prime, Netlfix and NowTV. Feck all to watch on any of them. Netflix has become utter shite.

Edit: Wait, I found Reno 911 on NowTV. I've heard so much about this. Almost in tears laughing at the first episode. They've only got 2 of the 8 seasons though.

Last edited:

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
That is good to hear. Where are you up to?
Finished S1 in one sitting but it was round my mates and I don’t have access to it at mine so am just waiting for the box set to be delivered. Couldn’t wait another week to watch more.

Saying that, I genuinely wasn’t expecting to ever buy another DVD :lol: … pricey too! Should be here on Wednesday so not too long to wait.

Scott Ryan is amazing. Funny and terrifying all in one and the show has a great tone to it.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
:angel:
Finished S1 in one sitting but it was round my mates and I don’t have access to it at mine so am just waiting for the box set to be delivered. Couldn’t wait another week to watch more.

Saying that, I genuinely wasn’t expecting to ever buy another DVD :lol: … pricey too! Should be here on Wednesday so not too long to wait.

Scott Ryan is amazing. Funny and terrifying all in one and the show has a great tone to it.
If only there was another way :angel:

And S2 and S3 are better than S1.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
If only there was another way :angel:
I know … I have already been told how dumb I am :)

It’s maybe the most dead pan thing I’ve watched. I take it that you’ve already watched another old antipodean tv show called flight of the conchords? If not, you may like that also.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Yeah, much appreciation for recommending Mr Inbetween. I would have missed it otherwise.

Absolutely fantastic. I love me some Aussie shows, even the amateur ones on YouTube.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
Glad you enjoyed the series.

I was moved to tears multiple times as the show hit hard with me due to my mom's family living on the coast of Mississippi. We had some absolute tragedies dur to Katrina. The one you specifically mention was a gut punch for me.
Thanks for the rec, mate. Sorry to hear you and your fam were directly affected.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Thanks for the rec, mate. Sorry to hear you and your fam were directly affected.
Thanks for your kind words.

Three entire houses of my family were reduced to only foundations as well as a storage facility in which all my mom's stuff was housed after her death the year prior.

I was on the barrier island on which Gulfport resides about a month after Katrina went through. Only thing I can use as an example of the devastation would be the old Department of Defense videos where they filmed nuclear explosions next to houses. Almost everything gone.

Roosney

Your Honor (HBO) is getting worse and worse towards the end. It went from a decent cop/organised crime show to a bad joke. The plot armour and predictability are just too much, not sure I can finish it.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Yeah, much appreciation for recommending Mr Inbetween. I would have missed it otherwise.

Absolutely fantastic. I love me some Aussie shows, even the amateur ones on YouTube.
Aussie shows tend to be really good (Mr Inbetween, Upright, Rake) or REALLY bad.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Aussie shows tend to be really good (Mr Inbetween, Upright, Rake) or REALLY bad.
Rake was pretty good, though the last season was a bit meh, what was that prison drama where the sets looked like they were made of cardboard, that was a bit of a cult classic?

Edit: Prisoner Cell Block H - just saw it above

Swordsman

Just finished the second episode of Blue Lights, pretty engaging so far. The female protagonist is a doppelganger of my ex-fiancee.
It's great, gets even better as it goes along.
Are the cops in UK timid like squeaky mouse ?

its very refreshing from the cops in USA who are aggressive and happy trigger.

What's this OOB ? It was mentioned frequently in the show.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Are the cops in UK timid like squeaky mouse ?

its very refreshing from the cops in USA who are aggressive and happy trigger.

What's this OOB ? It was mentioned frequently in the show.
‘Out of bounds.’ Apparently those are no-go areas for the police.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
Dunno, doesn’t exist in the US as our police are more militarized than some country’s armed forces.
Not sure about that, what about the city hall out west filled with protestors a couple of years back that the cops wouldn't go in, I can also think of a school in Texas that might also argue differently

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Not sure about that, what about the city hall out west filled with protestors a couple of years back that the cops wouldn't go in, I can also think of a school in Texas that might also argue differently
The cops might pussy out from time to time, but their gear & transport are substantially more militarized as they can take excess from the armed forces if they agree to pay shipping & maintenance costs. Or they can outright buy it.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The cops might pussy out from time to time, but their gear & transport are substantially more militarized as they can take excess from the armed forces if they agree to pay shipping & maintenance costs.
No question, they'd never cut it in the UK though, the majority get a baton and a pepper spray

AaronRedDevil

I'm drawing a fecking blank here. Netflix is done for me and now I'm looking everywhere for a show. Not even in the mood to watch one. Tried Yellowjackets S2 and stopped after the 2nd episode. Just boring me now. Any GREAT shows left that I somehow missed. Last one was Black Sails and recently finished Yellowstone along with the spin offs. They were brilliant.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
I'm drawing a fecking blank here. Netflix is done for me and now I'm looking everywhere for a show. Not even in the mood to watch one. Tried Yellowjackets S2 and stopped after the 2nd episode. Just boring me now. Any GREAT shows left that I somehow missed. Last one was Black Sails and recently finished Yellowstone along with the spin offs. They were brilliant.
Do you have Apple TV?

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Watch Justified on Prime. It’s great.

Glorio

If you want to ignore plausibility and enjoy a bit of a spy/political thriller Netflix's Night Agent isn't bad

In fact, not ashamed to say I even thoroughly enjoyed Amazon's Citadel

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
I dont atm. I couldn't get into Mr in-between even though I onky watched the first 3 eps. See was OK.
I'd get it to watch Severance, Black Bird, Five Days at Memorial, Slow Horses, Tehran, & Tetris. All of those are above average in quality.

Have you watched Mindhunter on Netflix?

wr8_utd

:'(
The Diplomat is fairly decent and if not really elite television, very watchable. Its got the lead actress from Americans in it.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
White House Plumbers

5 part miniseries on Max about the break in of the DNC HQ in the Watergate complex. It focuses on Hunt & Liddy & showcases just how inept the whole farce was, from Nixon on down.

Worth a watch if one is interested in a sordid time of American politics.

4 / 5

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
Just watched the last episode of Mr Inbetween. Now I have withdrawls. Really good show just not long enough

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Just watched the last episode of Mr Inbetween. Now I have withdrawls. Really good show just not long enough
I loved the last episode. So may well played scenes
The shootout section was obviously great as is the very end but perhaps the best played scene was when
he let Freddy off and just walked away.